Back from the Game - Pompey

144 posts
Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: Back from the Game - Pompey

by Handsome Man » 02 Apr 2011 20:58

All the action happened at the other end from me today. It looked as though Long's first should have been saved, and the penalty was for a violent tackle after he had lost control a little tamely - the goal-scoring opportunity had gone. Meanwhile Kitson seemed to miss chance after chance. Therefore, I want to see the football league show to see what actually happened.

Three points was everything today: really well earnt with great performances from Howard and Long. Kitson was our man-of-the-match though.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Apr 2011 21:01

Our second Team?

Federici

Griffin-Mills-Pearce-Cummings

Antonio-Elwood-Taylor-HRK

Hunt-Manset

Didn't start today. Those FIVE in bold are probably in most people's first eleven.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Apr 2011 21:13

We should remember that we had a makeshift side out today, a rookie keeper,
a fringe player at right-back, and a partly-crocked fourth-choice CB and our
other CB apparently out of favour for a long time. Up front we were missing
Noel Hunt and had to play 451, which doesn't really suit our star striker.

We were playing a VERY good side arguably the best first 11 in the country.
Two very expensive strikers, a very good midfield and an extremely solid defence.
Ashdown has had a lot of clean sheets recently

1-1 Pompey v Derby
2-0 Doncaster Rovers v Pompey
1-0 Pompey v Barnsley
1-0 Pompey v Crystal Palace
2-0 Ipswich v Pompey
2-0 Pompey v Scunthorpe
1-0 Pompey v Sheffield United 0
1-2 Bristol City v Pompey
0-0 Pompey v Middlesbrough
1-0 Leicester v Pompey

W7 D2 L1 (against the top form side in the league) 12-3 = 2.3 points per game

Strange game. Pompey looked slick, fast passing, and if we had had no luck, them a tad more it could have been 0-3 rather than 2-0

But a GREAT result and everyone played their part. Howard excellent (but falls over too much), Long superb again, midfield did well against quality
Defence solid. Gunnar a few shaky moments but overall a 7.5. KISH is utter class

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular

by Handsome Man » 02 Apr 2011 21:14

Snowball Our second Team?

Federici

Griffin-Mills-Pearce-Cummings

Antonio-Elwood-Taylor-HRK

Hunt-Manset

Didn't start today. Those FIVE in bold are probably in most people's first eleven.

Pearce didn't play either: that's more than half

Carlos

by Carlos » 02 Apr 2011 21:26

Delighted to finally see us beat Portsmouth. They have been a bit of a bogey team for us in the past. We werent at our fluent best and the result could have been different, but we ground out the result just like good teams who play badly often do. Long was yet again at his imperious best and one wonders how much we will get for him in the summer. We just all have to pray that he stays fit.

Does anyone know where leigertwood is? I presume injury but I feel we miss a cutting edge in midfield without him. Tabb is his busy, energetic self as always, however Karacan frustrates me as a player. When on the ball he does the simple things well, however he was anonymous second half when pompey were threatening. McCarthy was decent. He is still making silly mistakes. He made a good save from kitson however it was from his own mistake by spilling a routine shot, and second half completely missed a cross. Plus worst kicker of a football since andy hughes.

Everyone was decent I felt. Long of course MOTM. Gunnar somehow gets away with it, but feel we should play griffin on tuesday. Worst game ive ever seen from Mcanuff. Constantly lost the ball/looked disinterested. Always took the wrong option. Feel Manset deserved to play instead of Church. Good run by Kebe for our first aswell.

Roll on tuesday.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 02 Apr 2011 21:31

floyd__streete
Northern Git they're

HTH

They're = they are

Try 'their'

^ Tbh, this is Hob Nob at its finest - rubbish grammar, in-joke, someone failing to grasp in-joke. Textbook.[/quote]

Text book - two words not one!

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 02 Apr 2011 21:34

I have to say, that was one of the most enjoyable games I've been to in a while, the Pompey fans and Dave Kitson provided amazing amusement the whole afternoon. Not quite sure what was happening at the end, but they obviously aren't used to losing , still, if I witnessed a loss away from home, which I haven't yet :wink: , I wouldn't act in the same way they did today, I'd like to think none of the Reading fans would tbh!

Back to the game, and well the first half was the better half imo, everything that could happen did happen! A sending off, a penalty, a stunning goal from Long and 3 welcoming points. Kits helped out the royals on a few occasions, by missing a few complete sitters and blocking an attempt on goal from his own team mate :mrgreen: so thank you Kitson 8) Overall a very enjoyable game and it'd be great to see more results like this in the remaining 8 games...

Now that we're in the play offs I'd quite like the season to finish :D

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 02 Apr 2011 21:35

Snowball Elwood

Who? Another new signing?

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 02 Apr 2011 21:40

It's been a while coming but for both quality and sheer quantity of mongs you really do have to applaud Portsmouth today.

Not just the bell-less mental patient who has been around for so long that he's taken for granted but the general turn-out of Jacamo out-fitted uber-chavs was a pleasure to watch.

Yes, I will clearly come and fight you outside the ground because you come from a different town and the football team you support deservedly lost a match.

I did enjoy Cotterill urging the monkeys not to embarrass themselves further.
Last edited by Once were Biscuitmen on 02 Apr 2011 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular

by Handsome Man » 02 Apr 2011 21:40

M Brook
floyd__streete
Northern Git they're

HTH

They're = they are

Try 'their'

^ Tbh, this is Hob Nob at its finest - rubbish grammar, in-joke, someone failing to grasp in-joke. Textbook.

Text book - two words not one![/quote]

You have used a hypen when you meant to use a oxf*rd dash.

southstand67

by southstand67 » 02 Apr 2011 21:45

You have used a hypen when you meant to use a oxf*rd dash.[/quote]

Hypen - is that like a hyphen only without an 'h'? :wink:

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular

by Handsome Man » 02 Apr 2011 21:48

southstand67 You have used a hypen when you meant to use a oxf*rd dash.

Hypen - is that like a hyphen only without an 'h'? :wink:[/quote]

Just wanted to keep things going
;)

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 02 Apr 2011 21:49

This spelling anality is just embarasing.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Apr 2011 21:57

Not the prettiest of games and I was worried that even with 10 men Pompey might make a comeback during the second half - but we hung on to beat them. Which was nice. How come a team that went into administration and couldn't afford to pay their tax bill, can put out a team like they did today? IMO they shouldn't even be playing in this league - if you go into administration, sod deducting points - just shove 'em down a division and make them sell off all their best players in order to raise revenue. :evil:

Anyway, onwards and upwards - I might even renew my ST if it looks like we might get in the play off final! :wink:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Apr 2011 22:01

er that's best first 11 in the Championship..

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 02 Apr 2011 22:03

Not the best spectacle to watch but again we did what we needed to do.

Howard and Long were the best players on the park today. Kitson did us proud! :lol:
Not sure how Nugent avoided a booking when giving the ball the ' have it ' treatment after being pulled up for offside.

Lol at the chimeless at the end with a very half hearted attempt to get to see the view from Y26. The Reading chant back of ' that was embarrassing ' said it all. :lol:

Forest next for me, can't wait!

Royal Marine

by Royal Marine » 02 Apr 2011 22:07

Absolutely delighted with today's result. I was a little concerned when I saw the team but I thought Bryn conducted himself well at right back, and Karacan really has come on leaps and bounds this season. Long took his goals well, although I have to admit I don't favour a 4-5-1 formation.
When you look at the players not starting today it makes you realise we do actually have strength in-depth. Griffin, Pearce, Legertwood and Hunt all missing and we still shone today.
It's about time we beat Portsmouth as well. They've been a bit of a
bogey side for us in recent years. They're always a game I look to like I
do with Watford, usually expecting the worst.
So, Preston North End next and that isn't the easy trip we were expecting a couple of weeks ago. They've picked up some much needed points recently and we have a tough test coming up.

Top six tonight. I'll drink to that.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Apr 2011 22:11

We're home to Preston Jay.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 02 Apr 2011 22:15

M Brook
floyd__streete
Northern Git they're

HTH

They're = they are

Try 'their'

^ Tbh, this is Hob Nob at its finest - rubbish grammar, in-joke, someone failing to grasp in-joke. Textbook.

Text book - two words not one![/quote]

Not according to dictionary.com:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/textbook

text·book
   [tekst-book] Show IPA
–noun
a book used by students as a standard work for a particular branch of study.

–adjective
pertaining to, characteristic of, or seemingly suitable for inclusion in a textbook; typical; classic: a textbook case.

Origin:
1720–30; text + book

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 02 Apr 2011 22:15

Thought Howard was class today, showed some great touches on the ball and played some very good passes. McCarthy again made some great saves, albeit one of them coming from his mistake. Bryn solid as ever. Kanu looked lively when he came on. Quite gutted Church's goal was dissallowed though.

Not the best second half, but the job was done and the points are in the bag :D

Carlos Worst game ive ever seen from Mcanuff. Constantly lost the ball/looked disinterested. Always took the wrong option.

Roll on tuesday.

Don't agree with this. Thought he looked lively when going forward and seemed to beat his man on the outside a lot more today than usual.

144 posts