Selles In

614 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Selles In

by Mr Angry » 13 May 2024 11:42

That is an excellent piece by Selles; really interesting, insightful and humble.

As one who thought he should be let go, I am happy to state I was 100% wrong, and that he is a massive asset for the club, the team and the fans.

My 2nd biggest fear of the Summer is that another team recognise his value and move for him; he can clearly do a job at Championship level and probably higher.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 13 May 2024 11:43

South Coast Royal He certainly talks a good game and fully deserves another season.
The slight concern, bearing in mind that the interview and article appear to be very much up to date, is that the takeover is still spoken of as "if" rather than "when".

I suppose that, having been let down so often during the season, caution and wariness are understandable.,

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into that, it's understandable caution.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 May 2024 12:50

If the takeover goes through and we're bottom half in October, there'll be a lot of people changing their tune pretty quickly IMO.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 May 2024 13:06

Snowflake Royal If the takeover goes through and we're bottom half in October, there'll be a lot of people changing their tune pretty quickly IMO.

Don't be stupid, football fans aren't so fickle!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 May 2024 14:52

Mr Angry That is an excellent piece by Selles; really interesting, insightful and humble.

As one who thought he should be let go, I am happy to state I was 100% wrong, and that he is a massive asset for the club, the team and the fans.

My 2nd biggest fear of the Summer is that another team recognise his value and move for him; he can clearly do a job at Championship level and probably higher.

Still unconvinced and probably will remain that way until the club is allowed to trade reasonably properly again so he can build a squad of players that are actually wanted and fit in with the 4-2-2-2 style he favours, rather than hoping to find some from youngsters and players no one else wants.

Form over the last 10 Reading games of the season sees the club 11th out of 24 so there is some optimism to be drawn from that going into next season which I hope he can capitalise on..

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 13 May 2024 15:13

It is a really good interview, full of details, insight and, most of all, real passion to succeed.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 13 May 2024 15:14

I think my favourite bit is when he dissects his own style and explains how he developed a more successful one that still pays its due to his vision of the game.

Esteban

by Esteban » 13 May 2024 17:43

stealthpapes I think my favourite bit is when he dissects his own style and explains how he developed a more successful one that still pays its due to his vision of the game.

This is the key insight for me. He didn't abandon his philosophy in favour of grinding out results, instead he adapted it to suit the majority of the league's opposition. Sign of a good manager in my view, although maybe he could have made the change sooner. We'll never know.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 May 2024 17:54

Yeah really good read that.

Would be super if he can deliver progress on the pitch.

I'm so sick of those short bursts of success that trick you into thinking something has chamged for the good, only to fall apart in shambles again shortly after.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 13 May 2024 21:40

Mr Angry That is an excellent piece by Selles; really interesting, insightful and humble.

Same for me - 100% humble pie

Fascinating interview/read

Very much the intelligent / educated / articulate / thoughtful "new school" of manager. The comparison with the intellectualy challenged Ince is striking. 180 degrees from the "old school" get stuck in lads, break his leg attitude of Warnock (vs Sheff Utd) and others.

However he needs to recongise time is no longer on his side (under normal circumtances would have been fired last season), so he's gonna have learn faster and be proactive more quickly next season.

Hopefully Bowen will be on his shoulder feeding him "pragmatism" vibes and collectivley working out to fix the dreadful gaols against issue

I hope he stays and can continue to build on what he has achieved - critical is going to be when actually gets to make big recruitment decisions - he has no experience in this at all from what I can see/read. Seems a great coach, a good communicator and a nice guy.

Jury out for me on consistently reacting correctly from the touchline - change gamplan, subs, tactics formation etc. Needs to not get outfoxed by the wily old dinosaurs

But in truth still an inexperienced manager - so needs an experienced/excellent mentor to develop / support him. Is Mark Bowen that guy ??

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 13 May 2024 22:39

Sutekh

Still unconvinced and probably will remain that way until the club is allowed to trade reasonably properly again so he can build a squad of players that are actually wanted and fit in with the 4-2-2-2 style he favours, rather than hoping to find some from youngsters and players no one else wants.

Form over the last 10 Reading games of the season sees the club 11th out of 24 so there is some optimism to be drawn from that going into next season which I hope he can capitalise on..

Did you actually read the interview ?
Apart from the first eight games when he played 4-2-2-2 which he admits learning from, He now clearly favours 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 in this league.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 May 2024 11:00

Sutekh

Form over the last 25 games has us 8th!!!

He has more than past his probationary period. With the shackles off somewhat, and what has been built up i am looking forward to what he can do next season.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 May 2024 11:44

My Bristol Rovers supporting colleague with whom I went to the game at the Memorial really rated us; said we were one of the better footballing teams they had seen this season and is going to have a flutter on us next season!

:shock:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 May 2024 11:48

Mr Angry My Bristol Rovers supporting colleague with whom I went to the game at the Memorial really rated us; said we were one of the better footballing teams they had seen this season and is going to have a flutter on us next season!

:shock:

Lincoln City fans ran a poll of the best team to visit them this season, Reading FC were top of that too.

614 posts