Rival Watch

17460 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 May 2024 18:18

Mid Sussex Royal Its good there's another decent side in the league which will hopefully stop Hollywood FC going up.

And stop Reading FC too. Really doesn't help us having Bolton in L1 next year.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 18 May 2024 18:51

WestYorksRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal Its good there's another decent side in the league which will hopefully stop Hollywood FC going up.

Don't think we are in serious contention anyway, unless we make some clever signings.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 May 2024 18:53

Mid Sussex Royal
WestYorksRoyal

Don't think we are in serious contention anyway, unless we make some clever signings.

Agree, can't really see us challenging until the embargo is lifted and that's assuming the ownership situation gets resolved before the start of the season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 May 2024 18:55

tidus_mi2
Mid Sussex Royal
WestYorksRoyal And stop Reading FC too. Really doesn't help us having Bolton in L1 next year.

Agree, can't really see us challenging until the embargo is lifted and that's assuming the ownership situation gets resolved before the start of the season.

We were in a worse position last season and brought in Bindon, Wing, Smith and Knibbs

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 May 2024 18:57

tidus_mi2
Mid Sussex Royal
WestYorksRoyal And stop Reading FC too. Really doesn't help us having Bolton in L1 next year.

I can see us challenging for the play-offs next season; won't take much improvement to the squad for that to happen. A lot of whether we can challenge for automatic comes down to what sides like Birmingham, Huddersfield and Bolton will look like come the summer.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 May 2024 18:58

WestYorksRoyal
tidus_mi2
Mid Sussex Royal

We were in a worse position last season and brought in Bindon, Wing, Smith and Knibbs

We did and it was brilliant business, but can we do it again? if we do it again then yeah, we could definitely challenge, especially since we aren't building a new team from scratch for about the 3rd season in a row.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 18 May 2024 19:34

WestYorksRoyal

Until the new ownership is confirmed, I don’t think we have to worry about Bolton still being in L1. I’d be happy with a top 10 finish and a stable football club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 May 2024 19:36

Clyde1998
blythspartan Bolton remind me of us under Stam. Oxford are deservedly ahead tbf and I see no way back for Bolton, but hope I am wrong.

Yeah. No drive, intensity or ambition.

That's madness given their game against us they had all that in spades.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 18 May 2024 19:40

That's really going to hurt Bolton and may well take a bit of getting over! Maybe there is a bit of a mental issue going on here? They pretty much had promotion in the own hands only to let slip to Derby and then they blew it in the play-offs.
Clearly they are one of the best teams in the league and their attacking play against us was top class!! Football's a funny game.

Next question? What's the chance they get stripped of their better players from the vultures in the Championship? Losing a few star players coupled with this play-off lose and all of a sudden things can turn pear shaped!! just a thought.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 May 2024 19:44

tidus_mi2
Mid Sussex Royal

You don't need to spend money to make good signings in L1. Plus from the start of November we averaged almost 1.5ppg, which over a season would have us in touching distance of the POs. We've gone from a team with very little professional first team experience, to plenty.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 May 2024 19:46

I'd be fuming as a Bolton fan. They were a better team than Derby and contrived to finish beneath them. They are a much better team than Oxford and failed to turn up and do the basics on the big day. They only have themselves to blame, and if they start next season slowly I suspect it'll be bye bye Ian Evett.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 May 2024 19:55

Thought I would be bothered if they went up but I'm not. They will probably come back down. I think having witnessed another clubs pathetic behaviour midweek it makes me realise we need to worry about us not them. I think our future can be brighter in a couple of seasons and we can start thinking about Championship stability. Next season is going to be way too tough for us for top 6....unless we hit the jackpot with new owners.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 18 May 2024 20:37

Ascotexgunner Thought I would be bothered if they went up but I'm not. They will probably come back down. I think having witnessed another clubs pathetic behaviour midweek it makes me realise we need to worry about us not them. I think our future can be brighter in a couple of seasons and we can start thinking about Championship stability. Next season is going to be way too tough for us for top 6....unless we hit the jackpot with new owners.

The takeover is key and hopefully almost there, that will take a massive weight off the whole club from top to bottom. We have a lot of good things going for us:

1. We have retained a young hungry squad who will only improve together.
2. One of the best training facilities outside of the Premiership and an Academy to match.
3. A rejuvenated fan base.
4. A young hungry manager who seems to be the real deal and the next off the young Spanish manager conveyor belt.
5. Finally, hopefully a lesson learnt that spending beyond your means isn't a quick ticket to the promised land and that you can be successful living within your means, the former "Reading Way"

Key to next season is about learning from this season's early season mistakes and the continued growth of our younger players and how quick they can turn into good players.
Our late season form was starting to get noticed however, with Birmingham, Huddersfield, Hollywood Fc and now Bolton all up there as the bookies favorites we should be able to stay below the radar and do our thing.

Hopefully a high mid table position and continued improvement next season and then we should be in a great position for a promotion push from there on. Small steps but a definite move in the right direction.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 May 2024 21:05

If Oxford go up then both their fans will be insufferable.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 18 May 2024 21:18

SCIAG If Oxford go up then both their fans will be insufferable.

If? Hate to break it to you SCIAG, but they have gone up.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 18 May 2024 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 18 May 2024 21:20

And their dozen or so mates who went to Wembley.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 May 2024 22:09

Ascotexgunner Thought I would be bothered if they went up but I'm not. They will probably come back down.

They probably will. I think their limit is very much that of a Rotherham or Peterborough - they'll not be able to progress much further than the bottom end of the Championship (unless they chuck a load of money at it with all the risks that come with it).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 May 2024 23:10

genome No shots on target in a playoff final is criminal

Can't recall Reading having a shot on target in their last time in a PO final either.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 18 May 2024 23:24

Sutekh
genome No shots on target in a playoff final is criminal

Can't recall Reading having a shot on target in their last time in a PO final either.

Or Huddersfield if truth be told, hence why it was unquestionably the worst game of association football I have ever witnessed.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 May 2024 10:04

WestYorksRoyal

Yeah, I’m more bothered about Reading than Ryan Reynolds

17460 posts