Reading 3 Boro 2 Reflections

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading 3 Boro 2 Reflections

by chilipepper91 » 19 Aug 2006 18:49

zac naloen
Forbury Lion
Boston Royal Viduka's goal was clearly onside
I've watched the replays and I'm less convinced, even though the accompanying commentry says it was onside.

From northwest my first instinct when he got that ball was to shout "OFFF SSIIIIIIDDDEEE!!!!!".

Of course the opinion of a deranged with joy fan is hardly reliable.

Middle of west stand, I thought he'd made his run too early tbh, I just saw him in front of the two defenders (in terms of distance up the pitch) when the cross was put in.

austin17

by austin17 » 19 Aug 2006 18:58

2-nil down and the team still believed, Shorey's run - you could say that was the turning point. Reading have carried on the team spirit from last season. Its going to be season to remember for a long time.
Seol played an outstanding 1st half especially, & was my MOTM.

blade 1

by blade 1 » 19 Aug 2006 18:58

well done guys, all the promoted teams showed that they ar not to be taken lightly today.

a real advert for what the championship has to offer. you getting a win, and watford being denyed by a harsh decision. As well as the blades holding liverpool and being denyd by a dive?????

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 19 Aug 2006 19:00

blade 1 well done guys, all the promoted teams showed that they ar not to be taken lightly today.

a real advert for what the championship has to offer. you getting a win, and watford being denyed by a harsh decision. As well as the blades holding liverpool and being denyd by a dive?????

From what I've seen of it, it looks like Gerrard was clipped.

Boston Royal

by Boston Royal » 19 Aug 2006 19:04

chilipepper91
zac naloen
Forbury Lion
I've watched the replays and I'm less convinced, even though the accompanying commentry says it was onside.

From northwest my first instinct when he got that ball was to shout "OFFF SSIIIIIIDDDEEE!!!!!".

Middle of west stand, I thought he'd made his run too early tbh, I just saw him in front of the two defenders (in terms of distance up the pitch) when the cross was put in.

I watched it on TV (since Reading is a bit far for me to get to the game) and they showed the replay which I thought was onside. I'm sure had it been given I'd be calling it offside though :wink:

Greenwich Royal

by Greenwich Royal » 19 Aug 2006 19:12

Very promising result - glad to see we showed some real strength of character in coming back from 0-2 down. Couldn't make it to the game today - and was thinking 'oh, here we go...!' when I saw Boro put 2 in in 20mins! Can't wait for MOTD...

Think it says a lot to respond with 3 goals - whatever happens this is gonna be a interesting season - looks like the boys are gonna have a really good go at it!

C'arn UUUURRRRZZZZZZZZ!!!

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 19 Aug 2006 19:14

Fantastic game.

A word for Ivar- thought he was superb and was not at all out of his depth. Had Viduka in his pocket for much of the match.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 19 Aug 2006 19:16

chilipepper91
zac naloen
Forbury Lion

I was perfectly inline with it, and it was onside, but I couldn't give a toss.

Champions LOLeague place!!!! :lol:

"Is this the way to Bayern Munich?.....

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 19 Aug 2006 19:16

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 19 Aug 2006 19:17

[quote="Humanistic"]Fantastic game.

A word for Ivar- thought he was superb and was not at all out of his depth. Had Viduka in his pocket for much of the match. [quote]

Spot on!
Last edited by URZZZZZZZZ on 19 Aug 2006 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 19 Aug 2006 19:18

bracknell loyal royal!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

How's FM going? 8)

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 19 Aug 2006 19:19

I'm too hyper-active to read it all so I thought i'd just wack on my thoughts.

To say that Reading have plastic fans, would be wrong today. EVERY person, in that stadium were clapping, getting behind the team and generally doing what supporters should (at least after we came back to 2-1...).

The players worked fegging hard today. Shutting down, getting the ball, working the ball into space. Although we weren't perfect, we still did most things well, reflected by the result.

By Boros performance, we should work on the 2 touch ball work, although we did start doing this in the second half (obviously told about it by Coppell and whoever else).

On a personal note, what a match. 2-0 down, to come back, shows character... It sure showed my character. I must have looked a bit like Keown when shouting, but with a happy shout on my face...

What a day, what a result, may it continue.

Villa Wednesday :D

Kurtz

by Kurtz » 19 Aug 2006 19:21

Superb afternoon's entertainment. Took my daughter to her first ever match. I'll be constantly reminding her about it and its significance over the weeks and probably years ahead. "Good but a bit boring towards the end" was her summary. I'd rate it a bit more highly than that!! :D

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 19 Aug 2006 19:22

Kurtz Superb afternoon's entertainment. Took my daughter to her first ever match. I'll be constantly reminding her about it and its significance over the weeks and probably years ahead. "Good but a bit boring towards the end" was her summary. I'd rate it a bit more highly than that!! :D

make sure you bring the whole family to blucher for any away games....il be in there :wink:

Kurtz

by Kurtz » 19 Aug 2006 19:26

Sharpy
Kurtz Superb afternoon's entertainment. Took my daughter to her first ever match. I'll be constantly reminding her about it and its significance over the weeks and probably years ahead. "Good but a bit boring towards the end" was her summary. I'd rate it a bit more highly than that!! :D

make sure you bring the whole family to blucher for any away games....il be in there :wink:

we're all looking forward to meeting you!

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 19 Aug 2006 19:37

What worries me is that the game was only a few hours ago, I didnt drink a thing, and I seem to have blanked most of it out....

I was an emotional wreck today. I suffered it all. Overwhelming depression, hope, disbelief and incredible joy.

I think the emotional roller coaster has blacked out most of it, although I know I was involved because my throat is hurting like hell!

I can't wait to see it again on MOTD..... Maybe it will allow me to revert from the mental block!

mydak

by mydak » 19 Aug 2006 19:39

the main news story on radio 4 on the way home

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 20 Aug 2006 00:39

crossie Brilliant result - shame i was working. But do u know whats annoys me the most? the way the BBC know nothing about us. On the ceefax match report it says "Downing finished comfortably past Magnus Hahnemann."

MAGNUS HAHNEMANN!

I remember reports crediting goals to Steve Lovell. For several years.

Didn't they realise that his real name was Archie?...
Last edited by rabidbee on 20 Aug 2006 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 20 Aug 2006 00:40

chilipepper91
zac naloen
Forbury Lion

My seat is in-line with the penalty spot, and we were all certain he was onside. Having watched MOTD, it clearly was onside.

Good.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 20 Aug 2006 01:08

Boston Royal WOW! We waited 135 years for this, and didn't disappoint. What a Premiership debut!

I thought we started a little nervously, with a few individual mistakes - kicking the ball out of play, giving the ball away too cheaply, crosses being over-hit or getting blocked by the first defender. But gradually we re-found the quality we showed last season. Hahnemann might have done better for the first goal and was certainly at fault for the second, but even at 0-2 we were in the game: Schwarzer had pulled off a number of saves.

Many other teams would have folded. But this was the same squad that had played together all last year and often come from behind to preserve the 33-game run. The rest of the first half we were irresistible. Each time we went forward we looked dangerous, and even defenders such as Ingimarsson and Murty were getting forward. Our crossing got better and better. Kitson's goal was scrappy but determined, typifying our bulldog spirit. Sidwell's (off an Ingimarsson cross from the byline, no less) typified our quality. We continued where we left off in the second half - Doyle didn't make the greatest of connections from Seol's cross but kept battling, and finally got the ball away from him to Lita.

Boro had come back many times in their UEFA campaign, but we held in there. Our defense was shaky and Viduka's goal was clearly onside, but Hahnemann reverted to the rock of last season.

Reasons to be excited:

1) This was practically the same team as last year - but we showed our quality, especially going forward. Boro are normally a decent defensive team, but Schwarzer prevented it being 5 or 6.

2) Great battling spirit, our lads really fought for each other, even at 2-0 down, and didn't let off at 3-2. Right at the end, Hunt got the ball on the left and /three/ tired pairs of legs surged up the field to support.

Reasons to be cautious:

1) Our defending was pretty shaky throughout. We tended to back off any Boro player trying to dribble. Sonko left a ball for Hahnemann and Viduka should have equalized, but Hahnemann made a great save. Both Boro goals and the disallowed equalizer could have been better dealt with.

But our defenders are still adapting, and will get to top form soon; Hahnemann's second half was far better than his first.

Bring on the Villa, but until then, bask in our victory.

Spot on....great victory but a long long way to go so not getting carried away

but its 3 points gained really as at 2-0 i thought we looked dead and buried......

the game was just like the west brom cup game though

we need someone like Sol Campbell or Matthew Upson in defence