Most important goal in our history?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Most important goal in our history?

by Jackson Corner » 20 Apr 2023 21:25

I remember around 89 we went into the last game of the season against Chesterfield it would have needed 3 results to go against us and us to lose. We were 2-0 down at half time. And the other scores were all against us, and we were going down. Then Gillkes turned on the after burners and we won 4-2 and avoided the drop to league 4. A year later SJM took over and the rest is history. Had we gone down then who knows?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 Apr 2023 22:17

AthleticoSpizz Men of a ‘certain age’ will never forget (Gilksies penalty) and our first ever trip to Wembley…..something that never ever could happen to ‘lil old Reading back then.

Times have changed, and ‘everybody’ plays at Wembley these days….but wow…what a (late) night that shoot-out that was.

It seems crazy now, but I had to leave that game early as I had to catch the last train home (I was still a youngster back then).

It was weird being on the Oxford Road, as the noise from the crowd felt like being in the ground still. I never knew it carried like that.

Gilkes scored his penalty as I was walking past Burger King, going towards the station. You could hear it even in the town centre. From the sound of the cheer, I knew it was Reading winning the shoot out.

I still can't believe I left early. I think I didn't fancy staying overnight at the station, especially if we lost, and I might have had no money to buy a new ticket home for the morning.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 Apr 2023 23:26

Jackson Corner I remember around 89 we went into the last game of the season against Chesterfield it would have needed 3 results to go against us and us to lose. We were 2-0 down at half time. And the other scores were all against us, and we were going down. Then Gillkes turned on the after burners and we won 4-2 and avoided the drop to league 4. A year later SJM took over and the rest is history. Had we gone down then who knows?

Chesterfield also had to win, and hope other results went their way, to have any chance of staying up.

Apparently someone told them at half time that the other results were against them, and their heads dropped.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Apr 2023 08:06

tmesis
Jackson Corner I remember around 89 we went into the last game of the season against Chesterfield it would have needed 3 results to go against us and us to lose. We were 2-0 down at half time. And the other scores were all against us, and we were going down. Then Gillkes turned on the after burners and we won 4-2 and avoided the drop to league 4. A year later SJM took over and the rest is history. Had we gone down then who knows?

Chesterfield also had to win, and hope other results went their way, to have any chance of staying up.

Apparently someone told them at half time that the other results were against them, and their heads dropped.

Our win also sent Southend down on 54pts.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2023 10:26

Doyle's goal at Leicester isn't even the most important goal that season.

Murty's last game penalty to score his first goal in years vs QPR got us the points record.

Brynjar's brace v Sheffield basically cemented our dominance over the division and set the stall for leading pretty much the entire way.

Curo's vs Brentford obviously huge.

Kitson's vs Middlesbrough was massive, as was Lita's winner. Took us from looking shakey and in trouble to flying.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Apr 2023 10:35

Snowflake Royal
Brynjar's brace v Sheffield basically cemented our dominance over the division and set the stall for leading pretty much the entire way.

His second in that game was the most important that season, for me.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Apr 2023 10:41

We should all hail the Reading legend with the excellent assist, Sekou Baradji.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Apr 2023 10:54

genome We should all hail the Reading legend with the excellent assist, Sekou Baradji.

100%

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2023 11:14

That flicked header was fabulous.

Dulwich Royal

by Dulwich Royal » 21 Apr 2023 11:28

Maybe not the most important and not one of our goals but Danny Murphy's for Fulham at Pompey in 2008 hurt as it sent us down

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Apr 2023 12:39

Not sure if has been mentioned but I think it's worth a mention, I thought Le Fondre's goal at Southampton was crucial in the 3-1 win the time we won the title.

I wouldn't put it down as our most important goal in our history, but in context of that season and, arguably the decade since, that was a big goal.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Apr 2023 13:41

Cureton at Brentford by a mile.

In context, we had blown a sizeable lead over third and would not have been a great form going into a play off campaign, additionally, we had blown the play offs the previous season so would have had a mental barrier. So I don't believe we would have gone up through the play offs.

You then have to think of the consequences of not getting promoted. SJM was not as invested in the club then as he was to be a few years subsequently. He had spent heavily on the likes of Butler and Forster and hadn't seen the success he had hoped for when financing the new stadium. I wonder if, after another play off failure, he would have lost interest and stopped pumping money into the club for no return. We could easily have fallen back into being an average Div 1 team and possibly slumped further with falling attendances and revenue.

We face similar dangers today, if we are to be relegated, we absolutely have to hit the ground running next season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2023 15:56

Interestingly, hitting the ground running actually slows you down.