Gunnarsson..

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 03 Nov 2007 21:47

2.5 mill spent on Fae and not even in the squad.......

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Nov 2007 22:19

rg6royal 2.5 mill spent on Fae and not even in the squad.......
Greg Halford springs to mind.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Nov 2007 22:22

Halford sold, Fae not in the squad, ditto Cisse when he was fit, Rosenior can't get a game at right-back despite Murty's poor form.

Ironic that it is our worst recent signing (Duberry) who seems to be able to command a regular place, despite there being 3 better centre-backs in the squad.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 Nov 2007 07:11

cmonurz Halford sold, Fae not in the squad, ditto Cisse when he was fit, Rosenior can't get a game at right-back despite Murty's poor form.

Ironic that it is our worst recent signing (Duberry) who seems to be able to command a regular place, despite there being 3 better centre-backs in the squad.

I wish people would stop slagging Duberry off particularly when there NOT 3 better centre backs in the squad on current form, only 1 - Sonko.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 04 Nov 2007 09:28

SC is too loyal, which is a good trait, but has taken it to the extreme. In my opinion, the players I would drop are Murty, Gunnarson, Lita, Hanhnemann, Hunt and maybe Shorey & Duberry and go with:

Federici (GK)
Rosenior (RB)
Sonko (CB)
Ingi (CB)
Shorey (LB)
Harper (CM
Cisse (CM)
Fae (MR)
Convey (ML)
Doyle (F)
Kitson (F)

In the transfer market I want to sign a class right and left midfielder/winger (Convey doesn't stay fit long enough to rely on him), goalkeeper and foward (sorry, Long isn't good enough yet).

Some of the players in the team have been consistently poor this season, and if SC doesn't act soon, he'll find himself out of a job come May. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a cat in hells chance that we'll spend big come January as heard it all before - its a good public relations exercise to keep people interested as it was when we were promoted and they used the spending big arguement to justify the huge ST increases.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 04 Nov 2007 09:54

cmonurz Ironic that it is our worst recent signing (Duberry) who seems to be able to command a regular place, despite there being 3 better centre-backs in the squad.

Duberry and Sonks, despite our horrendous shipping of goals, are our best combination IMO. I think you need to be looking more at our full backs if you want to apportion blame.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 04 Nov 2007 10:14

tbh i thought duberry was opne of our better players yesterday

murty had an ok game, not brilliant but at least he got involved and shorey was like that as well.

Gunnar yesterday just went missing from the first whsitle, didn't preotect the defence and i don't think i saw him once in the opposition box when we went forward. He's not the box to box player that we need.

Im Spartacus

by Im Spartacus » 04 Nov 2007 10:45

Irvinchangeyaname
cmonurz Ironic that it is our worst recent signing (Duberry) who seems to be able to command a regular place, despite there being 3 better centre-backs in the squad.

Duberry and Sonks, despite our horrendous shipping of goals, are our best combination IMO. I think you need to be looking more at our full backs if you want to apportion blame.

True, both FB's were poor yesterday.

SafetyRoyal

by SafetyRoyal » 04 Nov 2007 11:09

I agree with the original post in most respects. The lightness of the midfield is allowing our defence to be overwhelmed, which in my opinion is the reason why we have conceded so many goals this season. Don't get me wrong though, the defence hasn't been spot on for a while now though.
Hopefully Coppel has noticed this central midfield problem and will act in January, by trying to find a Sidwell replacement, which we desperately need.
At the moment i'm still quite positive. Its early in the season and our home form is pretty good but we are going to have to do better against the teams around us if we're going to stay up.

royalroo

by royalroo » 04 Nov 2007 11:48

Bristol Paul SC is too loyal, which is a good trait, but has taken it to the extreme. In my opinion, the players I would drop are Murty, Gunnarson, Lita, Hanhnemann, Hunt and maybe Shorey & Duberry and go with:

From what i saw here on Sky (being at the game may be different view) of the Fulham game i am of the opinion that in the long term the only players who are of Premier League standard are Doyle, Kitson, Sonko and Shorey. I know Shorey had an ordinary game but as an England International i suspect he has the class to come through. Lita may improve with time but he doesn't seem to have that killer instict of many top class strikers in the Prem and the misses against Newcastle are testimant to this. I would keep Duberry as a solid backup. Hanhnemann has had his day.... and no... i am not advocating an Australian take his place!!!. Murty, it's time to go.. good loyal captain but not up to this standard.
I am not negative, i feel we will stay up this year but we need class and plenty of dollars spent, if not January then certainly after seasons end. having said that, on paper the Newcastle team is far stronger and they looked terrible against us and Portsmouth so big names are not neccessarily the answer.
From an expatriate born in Reading and who used to go to Elm Park with my Grandfather back in the late 50's i sincerely hope big decisions are made. Worst case scenario is demotion but hey i don't care Reading FC i luv ya.

LoyaltoDoyle

by LoyaltoDoyle » 04 Nov 2007 16:57

Bryn for me is a fringe player like Shane...

For me both these guys shine when brought on as subs but once you have them in the starting XI they disappoint, and that's not me saying I don't like them, because I do and Shane is generally a super-sub and Bryn can pull things out of the bag when needed too, but I just feel when I watch them when in the starting XI to be very disconcerned and to an extent lazy when playing.

But Bryn isn't the only player who lacks pace and i've seen plenty of games and highlights where certain players are caught out of position whilst defending which creates space for the opposition. But we will struggle to get anywhere this season because the 6 away games we have played this season we have taken only 1 point and that was away to Manchester United right back on August 12th.

But I still trust in my boys to do well and turn things around

P.S - i dont like how people are calling Nicky Shorey an England International now, he got two games and when the opportunity came round again Steve Maclaren didnt choose him to play.... Obviously not that highly thought of within the England camp so I think people need to take a step back down the "let's all blow Nicky Shoreys trumpet" ladder. Yes he is a great player but only when he can be bothered - he has been just as bad as others this season in several games, he looks uninterested and dispondant

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 04 Nov 2007 18:15

Coppell clearly has a massive problem with Fae, as it seems he does with anyone he spends significant money on. Relatively significant money on.

His confidence most be in shreads after not really being given a chance and then dropped from the squad.

For whatever reason Coppell seems terrified to put the guy out there. Maybe it is that he's that shit. But I mean, is he really worse than Bryn?

What has struck me about Fae is he doesn't seem (although he has such little chance) to be the player we described when he was signed. We were told he was a Reo Coker type, box to box. Although he does seem to have a lot of energy, he's looked far more of a holding midfielder, than a Sidwell type.

Coppell really does have to get over these trust issues. Players he favours such as Murty, Bryn and Hunt need replacing with better players. Players you could argue we already have. Certainly in Rosenior and Convey......

Why do I have nightmares about Hayden Mullins joining in January?!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Nov 2007 18:20

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell clearly has a massive problem with Fae, as it seems he does with anyone he spends significant money on. Relatively significant money on.

His confidence most be in shreads after not really being given a chance and then dropped from the squad.

For whatever reason Coppell seems terrified to put the guy out there. Maybe it is that he's that shit. But I mean, is he really worse than Bryn?

What has struck me about Fae is he doesn't seem (although he has such little chance) to be the player we described when he was signed. We were told he was a Reo Coker type, box to box. Although he does seem to have a lot of energy, he's looked far more of a holding midfielder, than a Sidwell type.

Coppell really does have to get over these trust issues. Players he favours such as Murty, Bryn and Hunt need replacing with better players. Players you could argue we already have. Certainly in Rosenior and Convey......

Agree with you SKDD re Fae its very odd and it does appear SC has no faith in him at all. Could Fae be gone by the end of the season? Like you I also have this unease about Mullins joining as he will add sod all to the team.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 04 Nov 2007 18:24

PEARCEY
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell clearly has a massive problem with Fae, as it seems he does with anyone he spends significant money on. Relatively significant money on.

Agree with you SKDD re Fae its very odd and it does appear SC has no faith in him at all. Could Fae be gone by the end of the season? Like you I also have this unease about Mullins joining as he will add sod all to the team.

I wonder what will happen when Cisse is back? Hope at least Coppell gives him a go...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Nov 2007 18:27

Archie's penalty
PEARCEY

I wonder what will happen when Cisse is back? Hope at least Coppell gives him a go...
is he worthy?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Nov 2007 18:29

AthleticoSpizz
Archie's penalty
PEARCEY

is he worthy?

Has to be given a chance to prove so or otherwise

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Nov 2007 18:33

PEARCEY
AthleticoSpizz
Archie's penalty
PEARCEY

is he worthy?

well, we can all speak the obvious

but in our managers eyes

Cisse (and fae) is still not up to it yet

and 13 points from 12 games in the Premier, suggests he is getting it right

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Nov 2007 18:35

AthleticoSpizz
PEARCEY
AthleticoSpizz
Archie's penalty
PEARCEY

is he worthy?

but in our managers eyes

the performances don't

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Nov 2007 18:39

AthleticoSpizz
PEARCEY
AthleticoSpizz
Archie's penalty
PEARCEY

is he worthy?

but in our managers eyes

Not sure I follow your reasoning Athletico. Cisse was initially suspended and then injured so has not really had much of a chance to prove himself. The only way he can do that is on the pitch. The view of a lot of hobnobbers but by know means all is that he should be given a chance ahead of Gunnar who has struggled this season.
Are you suggesting the central midielders should remain as they are? If not what other options to Cisse and Fae are there? Bikey perhaps but it means playing him out of position. Hunt perhaps but again he will be out of position. We are not exactly spoilt for choice

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Nov 2007 19:07

our central mifielders were more than adequate last week against Newcastle

FFS

just remember WHO WE ARE

and

WHERE WE ARE

we will still be bitching about our Premiership survival

this time next year :roll:

Me? I'm just delighted (in hindsight) that we didn't actually qualify for the UEFA last season

now that would've hurt

some of you really f3ck me off and you are truly clueless .......try a wet Elm Park on a Tuesday night