Coppell loses it

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 03 Oct 2007 17:56

I'm sorry, but I think we should stick with SC whatever happens. With Dario Gradi Crewe went up and down more times than Jordan, but the club is now in a fantastic postion money wise and look at their youth policy. I would love to have Coppell here for the long haul, even if we went to L1!!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Oct 2007 18:01

I'm not sure about if we dropped right down to League One.

A club of our size should be comfortably in the Championship. That is our weight.

If we slip to League One then Coppell is doing something badly wrong.

To be in the premiership at all means he is doing an amazing job and is punching well above his weight.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Oct 2007 18:08

Top Flight I'm not sure about if we dropped right down to League One.

A club of our size should be comfortably in the Championship. That is our weight.

If we slip to League One then Coppell is doing something badly wrong.

To be in the premiership at all means he is doing an amazing job and is punching well above his weight.

SC Would definitely be sacked if we started to struggle in the Championship.
However if we go down this season he surely deserves the chance to get the team back up.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Oct 2007 18:11

I don't think he should be sacked even if we start struggling in the Championship.

If we are struggling in the Championship it probably means that we have lost Doyler, Shorey, Harper, Sonko and one or two other stars.

It takes time to build a team. If we are not gonna give a manager time to get new players in then thats ridiculous. Coppell, if he is given enough time will always build a good team.

Right now we have had a bad start. There are problems. Unfortunately it is gonna be very hard for Coppell to do anything until January and even then he may not be able to bring people in that can solve those problems. We are after all a small club.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Oct 2007 18:29

Top Flight I don't think he should be sacked even if we start struggling in the Championship.

If we are struggling in the Championship it probably means that we have lost Doyler, Shorey, Harper, Sonko and one or two other stars.

It takes time to build a team. If we are not gonna give a manager time to get new players in then thats ridiculous. Coppell, if he is given enough time will always build a good team.

Right now we have had a bad start. There are problems. Unfortunately it is gonna be very hard for Coppell to do anything until January and even then he may not be able to bring people in that can solve those problems. We are after all a small club.

We are a small club but getting bigger. Certainly so in comparison with our average gates of the mid 1970's.
Personally I dont think SC would hang around if the team were in danger of two relegations under his management.He is an honourable man and would probably conclude it was time to go.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 03 Oct 2007 18:33

Everyone underestimates one thing. The Chairman for all the great things he has done for this club, just wants to sell a Premiership club. That is all this has ever been about. I'm not having a go at him, but it's the truth. He's been amazing for this club, this town, but his motivation has never been a doubt. To make as much money as he can. Just think how much relegation takes off the value of the club. He will do anything to keep the club up, which is why all this talk of wage restrictions makes no sense.

The other possibility is Coppell asking why he puts himself through all this. He obviously doesn't enjoy pressure, he's got the money, he's not married, his kid lives in America. He may very well just walk away if we go down. This season has shown he's never gonna be able to beat what we did last year, it's just not possible.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Oct 2007 18:37

PEARCEY
Top Flight I don't think he should be sacked even if we start struggling in the Championship.

We are a small club but getting bigger. Certainly so in comparison with our average gates of the mid 1970's.
Personally I dont think SC would hang around if the team were in danger of two relegations under his management.He is an honourable man and would probably conclude it was time to go.

I understand that, but I wouldn't want him to go......

But who knows. I might feel differently at the time if it actually happens like that. It depends on the circumstances and the reasons.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Oct 2007 18:37

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Everyone underestimates one thing. The Chairman for all the great things he has done for this club, just wants to sell a Premiership club. That is all this has ever been about. I'm not having a go at him, but it's the truth. He's been amazing for this club, this town, but his motivation has never been a doubt. To make as much money as he can. Just think how much relegation takes off the value of the club. He will do anything to keep the club up, which is why all this talk of wage restrictions makes no sense.

The other possibility is Coppell asking why he puts himself through all this. He obviously doesn't enjoy pressure, he's got the money, he's not married, his kid lives in America. He may very well just walk away if we go down. This season has shown he's never gonna be able to beat what we did last year, it's just not possible.

Theres a certain truth in much of what you say SKDD....particularly regarding the value of the club if we go down.
We have argued the point over wages. So are you saying SC is really in charge of the wage structure?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Oct 2007 18:39

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Everyone underestimates one thing. The Chairman for all the great things he has done for this club, just wants to sell a Premiership club. That is all this has ever been about. I'm not having a go at him, but it's the truth. He's been amazing for this club, this town, but his motivation has never been a doubt. To make as much money as he can. Just think how much relegation takes off the value of the club. He will do anything to keep the club up, which is why all this talk of wage restrictions makes no sense.

I believe he can beat what we did last year but he needs time to rebuild again.

We are literally only a couple of players short of being a really good team again!

A little tinkering by Coppell in January could really turn our fortunes around.

We may already have the answers within the squad right now in the shape of Emerse Fae.

I hope Fae starts against Derby and plays a blinder. Come on Fae.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 03 Oct 2007 18:42

PEARCEY

Theres a certain truth in much of what you say SKDD....particularly regarding the value of the club if we go down.
We have argued the point over wages. So are you saying SC is really in charge of the wage structure?

No I don't think he's in charge of it. He'd set it along with Hammond and the board though. I just don't think the reason we didn't sign players was because we couldn't pay the wages.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Oct 2007 18:43

Top Flight

We are literally only a couple of players short of being a really good team again!

We may already have the answers within the squad right now in the shape of Emerse Fae.

I hope Fae starts against Derby and plays a blinder. Come on Fae.[/quote

Agreed. Fae has to start against Derby at the expense of Gunnarsson. Hopefully Convey will start too.]

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Oct 2007 18:44

The Chairman will sack Coppell in a desperate attempt to stay up and save his money if things get that bad anyway.

Tit.

:roll:

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 03 Oct 2007 18:44

Top Flight

Coppell's the only man who can keep us up now, these are his players, he can get the best out of them again. Then hopefully Hammond will be given a bit more free rain come Jan.

I worry in our ability to compete long term at the moment. But that will all change better of for worse when JM sells.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 03 Oct 2007 18:46

Gordons Cumming
The Chairman will sack Coppell in a desperate attempt to stay up and save his money if things get that bad anyway.

Tit.

:roll:

What cause that's not what the last 15 yrs of JM owning this club have been all about?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Oct 2007 18:58

Top Flight

Coppell's the only man who can keep us up now, these are his players, he can get the best out of them again. Then hopefully Hammond will be given a bit more free rain come Jan.

I worry in our ability to compete long term at the moment. But that will all change better of for worse when JM sells.

Realistically, the way things are looking right now if long-term means 10 to 15 years, I believe we can compete. Its all about expanding our stadium and further raising our profile and increasing our supporter base.

If long-term means 3 years, we will struggle. Right now we are the smallest club in the Premiership. Certainly our budget is bottom 3. While our budget remains bottom 3, we will be there or thereabouts as well long-term. We need to become as strong financially as the Evertons, Villas, Pompeys, Man Cities of the league. That could take 10 to 15 years to get to at our current rate of progress. But as we all know things can change overnight in football, if the right investor comes in.

We will probably be back in the championship within the next 3 years. But as long as we still increase the stadium capacity and come back, we can be strong again. In 10 years time we won't have Shorey, Doyle, Sonko, Harper, Little, Ingimarsson, Kitson, Lita, Bikey, De La Cruz, Convey, Oster etc. It will be a different team, different people, different manager. If we are to succeed long-term it will be all about the financial strength of the club. Thats what the club and fans shouldn't lose site of. If we lose Shorey now, so what, if we lose Doyler, so what. The club has to keep progressing financially and get bigger and bigger. If it does we will spend part of the next 10 years in the Prem and part of it in the Championship. As long as we can eventually properly get established in the prem.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Oct 2007 19:12

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe The Chairman will sack Coppell in a desperate attempt to stay up and save his money if things get that bad anyway.

Not a chance he would sack him.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 03 Oct 2007 19:34

Personally thinking that if we did drop a league then Coppell should definately stay. As stated before we're punching above our weight as it is, and Coppell has proven his ability time and again, if given 2 or 3 years, he is more than capable of getting a team out of the 2nd tier of English football into the top tier. If, however, we were struggling in the 2nd tier whether Coppell would leave or not is open to debate. I personally think it will depend on behind the scenes circumstances at the time.

And quite frankly I'm astonished that such a reasoned debate as this has lasted 5 pages without the traditional HNA habit of self-destruction!!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 03 Oct 2007 19:41

Some of the points on this thread bear a dangerous resemblance to Charlton fans moaning that Curbishley 'had taken them as far as he could' and the logical step would be to ask him to step aside and continue the progression and establishment in the Prem.

How wrong they were.

They never had it so good, certainly for 50 odd years.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 03 Oct 2007 19:55

Royal Rother
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe The Chairman will sack Coppell in a desperate attempt to stay up and save his money if things get that bad anyway.

Chairman panic, it's what they do. Think how £100m would blur your decision making process. I Think it would be the worst thing to do, but Chairman don't always do what's best for the club.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 03 Oct 2007 20:00

Royal Rother

Chairman panic, it's what they do. Think how £100m would blur your decision making process. I Think it would be the worst thing to do, but Chairman don't always do what's best for the club.

The Chairman has the most respect and admiration for Steve Coppell.
If Coppell was to leave, the Chairman would do his best to make him stay.

He didn't want McGhee to go, he didn't want Pardew to go.
He wanted Burns to go, he wanted Bullivant to go, he wanted Porterfield to go.

I wonder where Coppell fits in all that?

Coppell has been and is a better manager for our Club than all of them put together.