The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7519 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Nameless » 02 Apr 2019 01:05

For much of that game there was nothing much between the teams, technically we had players every bit as good as good as they did. We just weren’t as accurate with our passing at times and we lacked a centre forward and a defensive midfielder.
Their first goal was a series of errors by us but we didn’t give up, good thatwe eventually managed a goal.
Osho and McIntyre looked very steady at the back, Holmes made some good tackles but made a couple of errors. Medford-Smith was better than I have seen him previously, strong and willing to get forward. Olise had a good first half, less impressive second. Barrett did what he often does, lots of skill, not too much end product but his work rate was better than earlier in the season.
Disappointed in the keeper, he looked lacking in confidence and distribution was poor. Made some really poor decisions and hopefully it was a one off. Needs to grow as he doesn’t fill his goal or impress physicallybut at barely 16 he has time on his side.
Very impressive performance from the Bayern fans, sang all game. 1871 were pathetic, a few chants about stabbing Swindon, a chorus of football’s coming home and that was it. If you want to learn what is wanted just look at those 50 Bayern fans and DO THAT

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Apr 2019 08:13

Nameless For much of that game there was nothing much between the teams, technically we had players every bit as good as good as they did. We just weren’t as accurate with our passing at times and we lacked a centre forward and a defensive midfielder.
Their first goal was a series of errors by us but we didn’t give up, good thatwe eventually managed a goal.
Osho and McIntyre looked very steady at the back, Holmes made some good tackles but made a couple of errors. Medford-Smith was better than I have seen him previously, strong and willing to get forward. Olise had a good first half, less impressive second. Barrett did what he often does, lots of skill, not too much end product but his work rate was better than earlier in the season.
Disappointed in the keeper, he looked lacking in confidence and distribution was poor. Made some really poor decisions and hopefully it was a one off. Needs to grow as he doesn’t fill his goal or impress physicallybut at barely 16 he has time on his side.
Very impressive performance from the Bayern fans, sang all game. 1871 were pathetic, a few chants about stabbing Swindon, a chorus of football’s coming home and that was it. If you want to learn what is wanted just look at those 50 Bayern fans and DO THAT

I would love to see "needs to grow" as official coaching feedback for a 16 year old gk.
Thanks for the write up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Apr 2019 08:25

NewCorkSeth
Nameless For much of that game there was nothing much between the teams, technically we had players every bit as good as good as they did. We just weren’t as accurate with our passing at times and we lacked a centre forward and a defensive midfielder.

I would love to see "needs to grow" as official coaching feedback for a 16 year old gk.
Thanks for the write up.

I suspect in a couple of years he’ll be a 6’5” monster utterly dominating his area !
He did look like what he is last night - a very young lad. Bit like when Adie Williams made his debut as a scrawny 17 year old who disappeared whenever he stood sideways ....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Apr 2019 08:28

Just to clarify on my criticism of 1871 last night, I would imagine that the regulars were probably replaced by a load of school kids attracted by the cheap entry and their mate being on the bench. My comment about learning from the Bayern fans stands, we need a group like they had !

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Apr 2019 10:35

Looks like not a bad performance all in - have to remember that Bayern II play week in week out in the German League system - currently 2nd in the Regionalliga Bayern (4th tier) which is a decent level to test themselves at compared to the PL2.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 02 Apr 2019 13:31

Stranded Looks like not a bad performance all in - have to remember that Bayern II play week in week out in the German League system - currently 2nd in the Regionalliga Bayern (4th tier) which is a decent level to test themselves at compared to the PL2.

Agree with this completely, they were clearly a side that train and play together every week with much more experience which showed the difference between a reserve side playing in a proper league and an academy side. That said their number 5 dominated the midfield and was one of the best midfield performances I have seen in a few years. The fact he was 32 showed as his footballing brain was better than anybody else's on the pitch. Thought other than that Bayern's best two players were Nollenberger (scored the second goal after coming off the bench) and the dutch lad who's name I've forgotten up front. Other than that they were just a well organised side.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Apr 2019 13:54

Last season when we played them I think we stuck 6 first team (squad) members in the side who were not Academy products.
Last night we had no ‘ringers’ but still had 6 players who have first team experience.
I thought that despite losing by more we gave them a better game last night.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Apr 2019 14:00

parky
Stranded Looks like not a bad performance all in - have to remember that Bayern II play week in week out in the German League system - currently 2nd in the Regionalliga Bayern (4th tier) which is a decent level to test themselves at compared to the PL2.

Agree with this completely, they were clearly a side that train and play together every week with much more experience which showed the difference between a reserve side playing in a proper league and an academy side. That said their number 5 dominated the midfield and was one of the best midfield performances I have seen in a few years. The fact he was 32 showed as his footballing brain was better than anybody else's on the pitch. Thought other than that Bayern's best two players were Nollenberger (scored the second goal after coming off the bench) and the dutch lad who's name I've forgotten up front. Other than that they were just a well organised side.

Feldhahn I think his name is - he was actually bought by Bayern II from a 3rd Division side - quite common for the reserve sides to have a transfer budget to use to purchase players who are only to play for the 2. Mannschaft. Understandably never going to move up to the first team.

Gives you an idea of what the U23 were up against, some of the best young players in Germany as well as over age players bought by the reserves to do a job.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Apr 2019 14:24

See JLow gave Howe star man.

How did he look? Watched him earlier in the season and was impressed. Good enough for first team back up?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Apr 2019 16:16

Hound See JLow gave Howe star man.

How did he look? Watched him earlier in the season and was impressed. Good enough for first team back up?

I think Howe has come on well this season. Without having seen Tennai Watson this year it’s hard to know who would be next in-line for promotion, but obviously Watson has played a decent number of games at Wimbledon this season so is a bit more ‘battle hardened’.
I think my concern with Howe would be that he likes to push forward and sometimes doesn’t seem to recover positionally as quickly as he might. Might get punished more in the Championship. He’s certainly a good player.
I actually thought Medford-Smith on the left had a better game at wing back last night but he isn’t probably fac8ng more competition than Howe for a first team place assuming Blackett, Richards and Obita are all around next season.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 02 Apr 2019 18:00

Thought the attendance figure of 2157 was excellent -hopefully the RFC website will now realise that there is interest from the fans in the academy U18’s and U23’s and make a bit of an effort in posting previews and match reports a lot quicker- starting with the next U23 match at Craven cottage this Friday 5th. This is a vital league match for the Royals in their bid to at least finish 2nd or 3rd in the Premier league 2 2nd division table to secure a home play-off match.
Just 3 matches of the regular season left now
Fulham A
Aston Villa H Wycombe
Stoke A

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 02 Apr 2019 18:30

Thought Loader was excellent first half..only caveat is that he’s another skills merchant, rather than poacher / finisher, but still, a laugh to watch, in a good way.

Second half we seemed to tire much more than their squad, a fitness issue that I hadn’t expected in their age range. This unfortunately brought a number of handbags-at-dawn moments, that left the seriously-behind-the-eightball ref even deeper in his level of incompetence.

Good practice for the lads though to have to face thousands of little fouls by German 4th division has-beens, will be relevant if the senior team implode and we end up in lower leagues.

Not sure why the Munich management team had to emulate Joachim Loewe with over the top goal celebrations, screaming at the assistant ref, and general B lister histrionics.

The Munich fans were loud, but I thought chanting a piss take of Rule Britannia was a bit much. Did they perchance think they were facing an England squad?

Other than the result, there will no doubt be positives: I hope the U23 live and learn. And, er, prosper.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 02 Apr 2019 18:42

Thought the skittles banners the Bayern fans had (don’t know what else you would call them) were very clever !

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Apr 2019 10:02

Singing Defective
The Munich fans were loud, but I thought chanting a piss take of Rule Britannia was a bit much. Did they perchance think they were facing an England squad?

I am sure they thought the same when C1871 starting singing God Save The Queen, It's Coming Home and 10 German Bombers.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 03 Apr 2019 10:23

parky

Its also worth mentioning that, even by u23 standards, we put out a very young and inexperienced side. This will only help each of them later on in their careers, which is what the u23s should primarily be about.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 03 Apr 2019 18:31

Hendo
Singing Defective

I am sure they thought the same when C1871 starting singing God Save The Queen, It's Coming Home and 10 German Bombers.

TBH C1871 were so quiet, I didn’t hear any of that from the half-way line. Only thing from them was “you’re Oxford shit” after the comedy penalty attempt...

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 04 Apr 2019 15:42

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Apr 2019 17:43

Royals and Racers Gabriel Osho back at reading https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... es-2715509

Bit surprised unable to crack Rover's lineup in bottom half of League 1 and they sent him back early.
How did he look against Bayern? Did he play CB?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Apr 2019 17:49

Denver Royal
Royals and Racers Gabriel Osho back at reading https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... es-2715509

Bit surprised unable to crack Rover's lineup in bottom half of League 1 and they sent him back early.

He was his usual self against Bayern, good to have him back. He played as the central defender in a 3 with Holmes and McIntyre.
Bit odd for Bristol to not give him a game but then the writer to say he looked lightweight for senior football - how would he know ? He’s not a 6’4” monster but he can battle and is good in the air.
No idea what type of football Bristol play, perhaps Osho getting the ball down and playing out of defence wasn’t route 1 enough for them ?
He was rated highly by Aldershot and they were really disappointed we recalled him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Apr 2019 19:52

Nameless
Denver Royal

He was his usual self against Bayern, good to have him back. He played as the central defender in a 3 with Holmes and McIntyre.
Bit odd for Bristol to not give him a game but then the writer to say he looked lightweight for senior football - how would he know ? He’s not a 6’4” monster but he can battle and is good in the air.
No idea what type of football Bristol play, perhaps Osho getting the ball down and playing out of defence wasn’t route 1 enough for them ?
He was rated highly by Aldershot and they were really disappointed we recalled him.

Osho will be fine. I was really impressed with his home debut for the senior side. He had one scary moment early on but then look composed and passed the ball well out of defence. I have high hopes for him.

7519 posts