139 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: To all the boo boys:

by RoyalBlue » 22 Dec 2013 13:38

P!ssed Off
MmmMonsterMunch Those goals though I mean come on - no manager in the world can do anything about that :lol:

I think it was Doncaster at home where Adkins bemoaned the defending for their goal and said we needed to work on it.
Look at the first goal from yesterday: at 25 minute mark.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 1_12_2013/

It's similar to the type of goal he said he would fix two months ago.
You've got two players sliding in on the crosser. Why two? One is sufficient surely.
Surprise, surprise, nobody is marking the fella on the edge of the box, Instead you've got 3 players stood on the 6 yard line doing oxf*rd all.

It's the same type of defending we see constantly. The defence always goes for glory and looks to clear the ball off the line. Just oxf*rd mark their players.
Pause the clip at 25:13 and tell me again that nothing could have been done to prevent the goal.

The midfield were responsible for us conceding that goal. Watch it again and see where the scorer actually comes from. None of our midfielders bothered to track him.

P!ssed Off I thought the Le Fondre chant was after Sharp fluffed the one-on-one with a pathetic effort straight at the keeper, not long after the pen.
Might be wrong though.

You are wrong. It came immediately after the penalty and was very loud.

P!ssed Off
MmmMonsterMunch
He cannot legislate for Pearce dropping such a clanger.

Of course he can. Do you think Pearce was comfortable or wanted to perform such a risky maneuver.
No, he almost certainly would have wanted to head that clear, without hesitation.
He's either been told that he should attempt to bring balls down out of the sky with his toe, whilst an opposition player is mere metres away, or, like most of the other players, he doesn't know what he is supposed to be doing.

Oh come on! Pearce certainly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but surely he is capable of using whatever brain he has to make his own decisions in such situations, whilst also managing to co-ordinate his body movements?! Gooding tried to excuse him by claiming the wind made the ball run away from him - nice try but the wind was in the opposite direction!

It was a complete and utter cock up by Pearce, although McCarthy perhaps could have done more to help him - IIRC he remained firmly 'at home' and I don't remember him shouting to Pearce to tell him what to do.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Dec 2013 13:45

P!ssed off - So you actually think that Adkins would rather Pearce concede an utterly awful goal whilst sticking to football principles than try to head it clear? Come on don't be absurd. Yes there are things he wants to see but not at the price of a goal.

I'm sure Adkins was thinking the same as all of us on that score.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Dec 2013 13:49

RoyalBlue
P!ssed Off
MmmMonsterMunch Those goals though I mean come on - no manager in the world can do anything about that :lol:

I think it was Doncaster at home where Adkins bemoaned the defending for their goal and said we needed to work on it.
Look at the first goal from yesterday: at 25 minute mark.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 1_12_2013/

It's similar to the type of goal he said he would fix two months ago.
You've got two players sliding in on the crosser. Why two? One is sufficient surely.
Surprise, surprise, nobody is marking the fella on the edge of the box, Instead you've got 3 players stood on the 6 yard line doing oxf*rd all.

It's the same type of defending we see constantly. The defence always goes for glory and looks to clear the ball off the line. Just oxf*rd mark their players.
Pause the clip at 25:13 and tell me again that nothing could have been done to prevent the goal.

The midfield were responsible for us conceding that goal. Watch it again and see where the scorer actually comes from. None of our midfielders bothered to track him.

I was referring to the defence more in the sense of those that were defending at the time i.e. 4 defenders plus Williams. I think we had sufficient people in the box to deal with the threat, but all 5 of them were stood on the 6 yard line.
Yes, Guthrie should have tracked back as well, but that is also a defensive error.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Dec 2013 13:53

MmmMonsterMunch P!ssed off - So you actually think that Adkins would rather Pearce concede an utterly awful goal whilst sticking to football principles than try to head it clear? Come on don't be absurd. Yes there are things he wants to see but not at the price of a goal.

Indeed, genuine chucking at the idea that Adkins will have been expecting Pearce take the ball down and pass the ball in two swift touches. It should have been cleared, Pearce let it bounce and he paid the price. A typical defener error. Very harsh to blame it on Adkins. He wants the defenders to be comfortable passing it around the back, not to start taking unneccessary risks when the ball is played behind them.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 22 Dec 2013 14:02

It was said on this thread earlier there were 18,000 there yesterday, there are a huge amount of those guys that have only been following the side since our rise from the depths of the third and fourth divisions of the past, they have only know the success that we have had over recent years, so no surprise that the boo boys are out in force, those of us in our more greying latter years will no doubt remember the days of 5,000- at the great old place, wern't enough there to boo then and if anyone did boo it would only have been when the south bank food wagon had run out of Bovril and Mars bars before the start of the second half,..............I can hear Mary Hopkins ringing in my ears "Those were the days" lol !

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Dec 2013 14:06

My take on it:

1) If you go you go to watch a game of football and/or support the players.

2) None of those things requires that you boo the players, who are only human and trying their best.

3) If you boo then the likelihood is your inner frustration is at the shambles at the moment in terms of ownership, lack of investment in current squad, lies/ broken perceived promises etc etc

4) Therefore you should be booing outside of the game I.e. after the 90mins or on forums or whatever

5) You probably therefore shouldn't even bother going, because that will be the clearest message to those you're booing at.

Go and shut up at least until the final whistle

Or

Don't go at all.

Leave the poor old players and poor old underfunded treated-like-shit Adkins out of this.

How on earth is it Cummings' fault that he is not playing well because his manager isn't given the money to get a proper left back? How on earth is it pearces fault who is told to play when he is off form at the moment, simply because his manager has no funds to get cover at the moment? How on earth is it any players fault if the squad isn't deep enough. It's not. They just do what they're told, and Adkins plays the best team he can, given he doesn't have the funds to get a CB, LB, AM, striker.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Dec 2013 14:07

howser It was said on this thread earlier there were 18,000 there yesterday, there are a huge amount of those guys that have only been following the side since our rise from the depths of the third and fourth divisions of the past, they have only know the success that we have had over recent years, so no surprise that the boo boys are out in force, those of us in our more greying latter years will no doubt remember the days of 5,000- at the great old place, wern't enough there to boo then and if anyone did boo it would only have been when the south bank food wagon had run out of Bovril and Mars bars before the start of the second half,..............I can hear Mary Hopkins ringing in my ears "Those were the days" lol !

:|
My Dad and uncle have both been going since the 60's.
Both think this season is oxf*rd tedious.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Dec 2013 14:10

P!ssed Off
howser It was said on this thread earlier there were 18,000 there yesterday, there are a huge amount of those guys that have only been following the side since our rise from the depths of the third and fourth divisions of the past, they have only know the success that we have had over recent years, so no surprise that the boo boys are out in force, those of us in our more greying latter years will no doubt remember the days of 5,000- at the great old place, wern't enough there to boo then and if anyone did boo it would only have been when the south bank food wagon had run out of Bovril and Mars bars before the start of the second half,..............I can hear Mary Hopkins ringing in my ears "Those were the days" lol !

:|
My Dad and uncle have both been going since the 60's.
Both think this season is oxf*rd tedious.

They've still been tainted/spoilt by the amount of success we've had of late though. Everyone has (including me). Bet you they wouldn't feel so bad about this season if it was our first ever season in the 2nd tier.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Dec 2013 14:37

winchester_royal
MmmMonsterMunch P!ssed off - So you actually think that Adkins would rather Pearce concede an utterly awful goal whilst sticking to football principles than try to head it clear? Come on don't be absurd. Yes there are things he wants to see but not at the price of a goal.

Indeed, genuine chucking at the idea that Adkins will have been expecting Pearce take the ball down and pass the ball in two swift touches. It should have been cleared, Pearce let it bounce and he paid the price. A typical defener error. Very harsh to blame it on Adkins. He wants the defenders to be comfortable passing it around the back, not to start taking unneccessary risks when the ball is played behind them.

From the likes of Andre Bikey or David Luiz perhaps.
Genuine chuckle if you think that Alex Pearce decided not to head it and to control it with his feet just for the fun of it.

As I said. Either he's doing what Adkins wants or he doesn't know what Adkins wants him to be doing.
Would Pearce have let the ball bounce under McDermott or Coppell? No, of course he wouldn't have.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Dec 2013 14:48

Amazed Adkins keeps picking Pearce if Alex keeps going against his instructions. Not surprised the players get confused when you have a manager who tells you that you don't have to try and score when you get the ball.
Last edited by sandman on 22 Dec 2013 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 22 Dec 2013 15:03

I've been going since the seventies, been there, seen it all now in all four divisions.
Finding each season harder to motivate myself to go and yes, it is tedius again this season.
Maybe i should find another pastime!!

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 22 Dec 2013 15:22

MR. CYNICAL I've been going since the seventies, been there, seen it all now in all four divisions.
Finding each season harder to motivate myself to go and yes, it is tedius again this season.
Maybe i should find another pastime!!

If it was not for your location that could have been composed by me.

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 22 Dec 2013 15:33

madreadingfan I didn't boo but I don't care if anyone does boo or not. It's their right to if they feel like it. It's always gonna happen no matter what team you support so stop making shitty threads like this and just get over it. Reading fans are very sensitive.

Well said!

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 22 Dec 2013 15:35

Victor Meldrew How many more times will we have one of these threads after a bit of booing?
I don't boo-like most of the people around me I moan, not boo.
I don't agree that it has a massive effect on our players-in their line of work they know that one day rather than applause and cheering they will occasionally get a bit of booing and if they are that sensitive they are in the wrong job.

Oh and Reading fans are no better nor no worse than any fans so those of you that felt embarrassed or whatever yesterday perhaps you might question whether you are following the right sport-booing happens, get over it.

Well said too!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Dec 2013 15:46

2 world wars, 1 world cup Leave the poor old players out of this.

:lol: Yeah those poor old well paid footballers. They don't give a monkeys about the fans, I don't see as why I should have an loyalty towards them. So f*ck 'em.

2 world wars, 1 world cup How on earth is it Cummings' fault that he is not playing well because his manager isn't given the money to get a proper left back?

This is true. I mean, Cummings is an absolutely shocking right back.....so its no surprise how abysmal he is playing out of position :!:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Dec 2013 15:49

howser those of us in our more greying latter years will no doubt remember the days of 5,000- at the great old place..... if anyone did boo it would only have been when the south bank food wagon had run out of Bovril and Mars Bars

This is completely and utterly untrue.

The atmosphere at Elm Park would very often turn against the players if what the fans were seeing was poor fare. I can remember chants of "What a load of rubbish" on a regular basis at the old place. Stop re-writing history :!:

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 22 Dec 2013 16:20

dizzynewheights The whinging boo boys weren't here ten years ago

Bullshit.

Worst case of self-deprecating booing I heard at the Madstad was on 26/12/03 - Exactly ten years ago on Thursday.

Reading's crowd ironically cheering each pass as Wimbledon dominated possession, singing "you're not fit to wear the hoops", and ironically 'celebrating' Wimbledon's third goal against us in the dying moments.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Dec 2013 16:28

Cureton's Volley

Bullshit.

Worst case of self-deprecating booing I heard at the Madstad was on 26/12/03 - Exactly ten years ago on Thursday.

Reading's crowd ironically cheering each pass as Wimbledon dominated possession, singing "you're not fit to wear the hoops", and ironically 'celebrating' Wimbledon's third goal against us in the dying moments.

Jobi can't say he wasn't given fair warning then.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Dec 2013 16:35

I didn't go yesterday and I've hardly been all season since witnessing some of the dross that has been served up since August. However, as I have a ST it doesn't affect the club and I'm not able to "make a point" other than have an empty seat because they've already had my money up front. I wouldn't boo at any point during a game, it's not my style, but I fully understand those who do - it's frustration but I don't see why the players would be shocked by it, unless they think they're so bloody good, they don't realise how rubbish they've been playing. I think some of the players need bringing down a peg or two. They might be very well paid, but they're not earning their money at the moment imo. Whether this is a combination of not being particularly good players anyway, lack of motivation from the manager, unrest due to knowing more than us about what's going on behind the scenes - I don't know. But as always, without the fan, there is no club and there is not the money to pay their over-inflated wages. I've heard of one particular player who enjoys asking people "don't you know who I am?" when he's out and about in Reading. To that matey I'd say, be very careful because very soon, hardly anyone WILL know who you are. Keep your head down, work as hard as you can and try and have more affinity with the club you are playing for - then you might get a bit of kudos. If I were you, I wouldn't be drawing people to my attention when you consider your current lack of ability/popularity with fans.

I'll probably go to the Forest game, but I won't be expecting to see a great game of football unfortunately. What I do want to see is every single player giving his all, not giving up and trying to LOOK like a professional footballer on the pitch. :roll:

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 22 Dec 2013 16:43

Avon Royal
Cureton's Volley

Bullshit.

Jobi can't say he wasn't given fair warning then.

Indeed! :wink:

In all honesty it is not pleasant, but booing is hardly the biggest issue with Reading Football Club. Those who make suggestions as such, are frankly, making excuses.

To say the 'fans' are the worst performers for making the wrong sort of noise, and not to bother turning up next time? If the club believed this would help I am sure they would come out and suggest it. Back in reality, it is clear that they are going to lose significant gate revenues if performances and results do not significantly improve. To suggest people 'stop turning up' is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

139 posts