BFTG - Wednesday Home

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Wednesday Home

by Muskrat » 11 Dec 2016 15:45

leon
That wasn't really my point. I was talking half time score.

There's too much of people watching a game through the prism of their own prejuidices.

Of course I'm prejudiced, I'm a Reading fan and want us to win every game but I can only call it as I see it and I make no apologies for that. I'm not just talking purely about the number of chances that each team had in the first half, I'm talking about the difference in the play. When they had posession they moved the ball quickly into feet and pulled our midfield around at will it seemed to me whereas when we had possession we just passed it across the back three until they pressed us high up the pitch and then we launched it aimlessly forward.

So IMO it would have been a fair reflection of the balance of play if they had gone in a goal up. I'm not asking for anyone to agree with my view but that's how I saw it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Dec 2016 16:56

Muskrat
leon
That wasn't really my point. I was talking half time score.

There's too much of people watching a game through the prism of their own prejuidices.

Of course I'm prejudiced, I'm a Reading fan and want us to win every game but I can only call it as I see it and I make no apologies for that. I'm not just talking purely about the number of chances that each team had in the first half, I'm talking about the difference in the play. When they had posession they moved the ball quickly into feet and pulled our midfield around at will it seemed to me whereas when we had possession we just passed it across the back three until they pressed us high up the pitch and then we launched it aimlessly forward.

So IMO it would have been a fair reflection of the balance of play if they had gone in a goal up. I'm not asking for anyone to agree with my view but that's how I saw it.

That's just as well then.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Dec 2016 18:46

Once again our keeper made two fantastic saves which meant we won the game rather than lost it.
I thought Moore had a standout game not least for at least 4 blocks and McShane was not far behind him.
It seems that Blackett is the new "you either love him or hate him"member of our squad-my mate thinks he is terrible and has persuaded me to look closer at what he does-to me he looks a moderate left-back and a moderate centre-back but this is Reading and not a top Premier club so we have to expect to have players with limitations.
Lol at that brave little hero Gunter trying to throw a punch when the melee took place but only doing so when hiding behind one of the big boys.

Luck is definitely with us this season and long may that last (cue "you make your own luck and can only play what is in front of you" but 2 deflected goals in 2 home games is lucky IMHO)-if Foristieri had been playing they might well have scored a couple but he wasn't and we managed to beat a side much on a par with ourselves .
Bring on the next 2 fixtures up North and I hope Stam doesn't mess around with selection too much and plays what he thinks is his strongest side, after all it is the same for all the sides to play 3 games in 8 days and players love to play especially when they have to do so little training in weeks like this.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Dec 2016 18:50

I was delighted with the win but I do think we really rode our luck. Contrary to many, I thought both Wednesday and their fans were pretty good. So Muskrat you are not alone in your view of Wednesday's performance.

Yes, their fans went quiet at 2-0 down but our vocal performance hardly excelled, until perhaps the last ten or fifteen minutes when the players deservedly got some support as they battled to hold onto the win with Wednesday throwing everything at us (the crap officials finally helped ignite the home fans).

I think we would have gone quiet too, had we seen our team throw everything at their opponents at the start of the second half and look by far the side most likely to go into the lead, only to suddenly find ourselves 2-0 down!

I also think that there was more than a bit of good fortune with both of our goals. The first took a wicked deflection. For the second, I was sat almost in line with where Beerens was, as Kermrogant flicked the header on, and he looked offside. He also looked to have, maybe unintentionally, controlled the ball with his upper arm as it bounced up. Both should have been seen by the East Stand linesman but he had already demonstrated an urgent need to visit Specsavers when Gunter clearly played the ball off a defender right in front of him but he gave the throw to Wednesday, much to Gunter's amazement and then annoyance.

Watching the goal back, I've paused the action at the point Kermorgant wins the header and it does look as though Beerens was offside. There is a line across the pitch which his foot is just over, whereas their left back is just the other side and closer to our goal. The handball is less obvious as the camera is on the West Stand side and the ball hit Beeren's right arm. We would not have been happy if that goal had been allowed against us!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Dec 2016 20:46

Victor Meldrew Once again our keeper made two fantastic saves which meant we won the game rather than lost it.

Of course that's what would have happened. Because the course of events are binary like that.

Evans (?) should have scored with his header from the free kick - he didn't. We would have definitely won if he had. Would we?

Victor Meldrew If Foristieri had been playing they might well have scored a couple but he wasn't and we managed to beat a side much on a par with ourselves .

Another utterly irrelevant comment.

If Swift and Williams had been playing we might have scored 4. If, if, if.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 11 Dec 2016 21:51

leon Evans (?) should have scored with his header from the free kick - he didn't. We would have definitely won if he had.

Think this was Joey

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Dec 2016 23:15

3points
leon Evans (?) should have scored with his header from the free kick - he didn't. We would have definitely won if he had.

Think this was Joey

Yeah sounds right. I think I was telling off leon jnr II for being a tit, at the time. :lol:

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 12 Dec 2016 13:05

leon
Victor Meldrew Once again our keeper made two fantastic saves which meant we won the game rather than lost it.

Of course that's what would have happened. Because the course of events are binary like that.

Evans (?) should have scored with his header from the free kick - he didn't. We would have definitely won if he had. Would we?

Victor Meldrew If Foristieri had been playing they might well have scored a couple but he wasn't and we managed to beat a side much on a par with ourselves .

Thank for taking the trouble to add your comments(not sure why you bothered)
The relevance of Foristieri not playing was that they played with two lumps up front but when he plays they have greater mobility ....and he can finish so probably a good outcome for us.
My point about our keeper is that he did his main job brilliantly again-the winning or losing aspect related solely to what he did and of course I am quite aware that other incidents affect a game and hardly feel that needs to be pointed out to your average fan or poster..
Your "if" about Swift and Williams is a "might" but as I see it "highly unlikely" as we are a team that doesn't score 4 that often.
So, once again thanks for adding your tremendous depth of knowledge to what is a fairly light level of football debate.
This is not an exam paper that needs marking-it is a case of some fans ,bright and not so bright, adding their views about a game rather than an area for the pedant to spout forth.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Dec 2016 13:24

BR2
leon

The relevance of Foristieri not playing was that they played with two lumps up front but when he plays they have greater mobility ....and he can finish so probably a good outcome for us.
My point about our keeper is that he did his main job brilliantly again-the winning or losing aspect related solely to what he did and of course I am quite aware that other incidents affect a game and hardly feel that needs to be pointed out to your average fan or poster..
Your "if" about Swift and Williams is a "might" but as I see it "highly unlikely" as we are a team that doesn't score 4 that often.
So, once again thanks for adding your tremendous depth of knowledge to what is a fairly light level of football debate.
This is not an exam paper that needs marking-it is a case of some fans ,bright and not so bright, adding their views about a game rather than an area for the pedant to spout forth.

I was just pointing out the absurdity of your sweeping statements.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Dec 2016 21:12

Victor Meldrew O.
Lol at that brave little hero Gunter trying to throw a punch when the melee took place but only doing so when hiding behind one of the big boys.

Can't resist any chance at a dig, can you - even if it's wildly inaccurate. Pretty clear from what I saw and pictures afterwards that Gunter was restraining his team-mates, not throwing fake punches.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2016 21:35

just watched the extended highlights and making the reasonable assumption they showed all Wednesday's best chances. LOL at thinking they were unlucky to get nothing from the game. They had one maybe two good chances they didn't put away. Plus Wallace's ok long range effort. Everything else was high and wide from a nothing shot from distance. By comparison, Mendes' had just as clear cut a chance as Joao's miss, but dithered. Beerens c(sh)ould have scored another when well positioned going through but blazed high . Plus two decent headed efforts from McShane and Evans / JvdB that were easily the equal of Wallace's.

If you want to win games, you've got to actually create and take some decent chances. Like we have generally been doing. Also a bit surprised by the view I'd seen a couple of times that Evans should have shot when Beerens scored. It was dropping really awkwardly for him, no way that was a chance to shoot.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 12 Dec 2016 21:50

Ian Royal just watched the extended highlights and making the reasonable assumption they showed all Wednesday's best chances. LOL at thinking they were unlucky to get nothing from the game. They had one maybe two good chances they didn't put away. Plus Wallace's ok long range effort. Everything else was high and wide from a nothing shot from distance. By comparison, Mendes' had just as clear cut a chance as Joao's miss, but dithered. Beerens c(sh)ould have scored another when well positioned going through but blazed high . Plus two decent headed efforts from McShane and Evans / JvdB that were easily the equal of Wallace's.

If you want to win games, you've got to actually create and take some decent chances. Like we have generally been doing. Also a bit surprised by the view I'd seen a couple of times that Evans should have shot when Beerens scored. It was dropping really awkwardly for him, no way that was a chance to shoot.

Ian' the highlights were a fair reflection Sheff Weds created very little. Forest had much better chances when they visited and Fulham tore us apart with their pace up front.

I made the initial comment about Evans. Real time and live, and I had a direct sight of it, it looked like it fell to him on the half volley with a clear path to goal. The TV pictures makes it look like it was a bit more awkward

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Dec 2016 23:17

3points
Ian Royal just watched the extended highlights and making the reasonable assumption they showed all Wednesday's best chances. LOL at thinking they were unlucky to get nothing from the game. They had one maybe two good chances they didn't put away. Plus Wallace's ok long range effort. Everything else was high and wide from a nothing shot from distance. By comparison, Mendes' had just as clear cut a chance as Joao's miss, but dithered. Beerens c(sh)ould have scored another when well positioned going through but blazed high . Plus two decent headed efforts from McShane and Evans / JvdB that were easily the equal of Wallace's.

Ian' the highlights were a fair reflection Sheff Weds created very little. Forest had much better chances when they visited and Fulham tore us apart with their pace up front.

I made the initial comment about Evans. Real time and live, and I had a direct sight of it, it looked like it fell to him on the half volley with a clear path to goal. The TV pictures makes it look like it was a bit more awkward

Agree with both posts.

There seems to be a large element on the Team Board of self loathing that manifests itself in an attitude of we are not worth it.

Regarding Evans, at the time I wondered why he didn't shoot but looking at the highlights it made more sense to pass it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2016 23:21

Yeah, accept live and in real time from the stands things often look a bit different.

I don't understand why people insist on being negative either. There's plenty of opportunity when we're actually shit, as we were for much of the previous four seasons, why not just bloody enjoy it (without getting carried away) when it's actually going well. If the bubble bursts, it bursts, but you had a good time before, rather than miserably predicting it would burst.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 13 Dec 2016 00:03

leon
BR2
leon

I'm with leon on this....

also I went back in time and re-ran the game with Swift and Foristieri playing

look away now if you don't want to know the score

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Dec 2016 16:33

BR0B0T
leon
BR2

I'm with leon on this....

also I went back in time and re-ran the game with Swift and Foristieri playing

look away now if you don't want to know the score

That's no good, you didn't have Williams playing. :wink:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Dec 2016 16:36

muirinho
Victor Meldrew O.

Can't resist any chance at a dig, can you - even if it's wildly inaccurate. Pretty clear from what I saw and pictures afterwards that Gunter was restraining his team-mates, not throwing fake punches.

"From what I saw" is the relevant point-we were about 30 yards away.
The player is a coward-good athlete but a bottler and the last person I would want in the trenches with me (non-homo).

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 13 Dec 2016 16:43

Victor Meldrew
muirinho
Victor Meldrew O.

The player is a coward-good athlete but a bottler and the last person I would want in the trenches with me (non-homo).

Who would be the first player [homo]?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Dec 2016 16:48

BR0B0T
Victor Meldrew
muirinho

Who would be the first player [homo]?

Obviously Phil Parkinson (still non-homo)

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Dec 2016 09:04

Victor Meldrew
muirinho
Victor Meldrew O.

Doubt I was much further away, but I wasn't looking for evidence to reinforce my own prejudices. Yeah, he doesn't dive recklessly into tackles. So? I'd certainly take him over JVdB into the trenches with me though, I'd be more confident I wouldn't get killed by blind stupidity.