Ex Players

3237 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ex Players

by Sutekh » 05 May 2024 06:37

Loafer Aluko getting the last laugh with Ipswich

Aluko + a manager/coach who knows what he's doing rather than Aluko + a chain of complete failures without a clue between them.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 05 May 2024 06:45

Sutekh

Aluko + a manager/coach who knows what he's doing rather than Aluko + a chain of complete failures without a clue between them.

He knew what he was doing by giving Aluko one 88th minute appearance from the bench this season,

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 May 2024 20:00

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 May 2024 08:49

Orion1871
Sutekh

He knew what he was doing by giving Aluko one 88th minute appearance from the bench this season,

Still - it dispels some of the nonsense you saw about his “bad attitude” given how complimentary McKenna and their owner have been about his overall contributions to the club since joining

A massive waste of money and time for us here, but a lot more down to failures in management rather than Aluko himself

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 May 2024 09:07

URZZZZ
Orion1871
Sutekh

Still - it dispels some of the nonsense you saw about his “bad attitude” given how complimentary McKenna and their owner have been about his overall contributions to the club since joining

A massive waste of money and time for us here, but a lot more down to failures in management rather than Aluko himself

Would agree with this totally. Same story to a lesser degree with Puscas. One day Reading will get to co-ordinate a record signing with a decent manager.

For the record, Sone announced his retirement from the professional game yesterday, at the age of 35.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 May 2024 09:17

URZZZZ
Orion1871
Sutekh

Don't really remember anyone saying he had a bad attitude, quite the opposite in fact, that his attitude was always excellent. It's just his performances weren't. He never came across as anything other than a decent bloke.

To be fair, he was mismanaged but when you sign a player you don't actually need and try to crowbar him somewhere into the team regardless in order to justify the ridiculous transfer fee, that's going to happen.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 May 2024 09:24

And talking of Reading record signings, only Steve "the greatest ever short goalkeeper the world has ever seen" Death (£20k in 1970, Terry Hurlock £92k in 1986, Keith Curle £150k in 1988 and Darren Caskey £750k in 1996) could be said to have been successful. The rest, Steve Moran, Craig Maskell, Carl Asaba, Leroy Lita, Greg Halford, Sone Aluko and George Puscas were hit and miss at best.

Bound to have missed a couple, think the record was broken twice within a week in 1978 or 1979 (£40k then £50k but can't remember the players (Bennett and Moreline?)) so anyone got a complete list of them all down the years?

traff

by traff » 07 May 2024 10:11

Sutekh And talking of Reading record signings, only Steve "the greatest ever short goalkeeper the world has ever seen" Death (£20k in 1970, Terry Hurlock £92k in 1986, Keith Curle £150k in 1988 and Darren Caskey £750k in 1996) could be said to have been successful. The rest, Steve Moran, Craig Maskell, Carl Asaba, Leroy Lita, Greg Halford, Sone Aluko and George Puscas were hit and miss at best.

Bound to have missed a couple, think the record was broken twice within a week in 1978 or 1979 (£40k then £50k but can't remember the players (Bennett and Moreline?)) so anyone got a complete list of them all down the years?

Was Murty a record signing at the time?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 07 May 2024 10:23

Sutekh And talking of Reading record signings, only Steve "the greatest ever short goalkeeper the world has ever seen" Death (£20k in 1970, Terry Hurlock £92k in 1986, Keith Curle £150k in 1988 and Darren Caskey £750k in 1996) could be said to have been successful. The rest, Steve Moran, Craig Maskell, Carl Asaba, Leroy Lita, Greg Halford, Sone Aluko and George Puscas were hit and miss at best.

Think Roger Joslyn cost the £40K in 1979.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 May 2024 10:29

traff

Was Murty a record signing at the time?

IIRC, Murty cost £750k which would have equalled Caskey.

I also seem to remember Convey being touted as a record signing at the time. A qualified success. I monster season but also 1 injury disrupted season and 1 season where he was poor.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 07 May 2024 10:33

Personally I think Lita was a massive hit for us; he was part of that incredibly entertaining forward line between 2005 - 2007, and scored some fantastic goals (I recently watched the short highlights of the man City v Reading game in 2007 where he scored 2 superb goals and was only denied a hat-trick by a crappy linesman) and I for one wouldn't dream of mentioning him in the same context as someone like Greg Halford!!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 07 May 2024 10:39

Agreed re Lita, played a big part for us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2024 10:58

Lita, Asaba and Convey are all a mixed bag.

Lita was quality in 106, and a small spurt in the first prem season, but he never really performed consistently and ended up failing.

Convey - FDTW has summed up perfectly.

Asaba actually did ok in a poor team, and was only here 1 season, but didn’t meet the heights his price tag really required.

Not outright failures, but also not complete and unequivical successes fully justifying their status as record signings.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 May 2024 11:07

Asaba was done no favours by the expectation given that he was a big, goal-scoring target man - he was nothing of the sort, and when he was allowed to play to his strengths of a fast, attacking wideish player he did well for us (home to Sunderland in 97/98, for instance).

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 May 2024 11:52

Snowflake Royal Lita, Asaba and Convey are all a mixed bag.

Lita was quality in 106, and a small spurt in the first prem season, but he never really performed consistently and ended up failing.

Convey - FDTW has summed up perfectly.

Asaba actually did ok in a poor team, and was only here 1 season, but didn’t meet the heights his price tag really required.

Not outright failures, but also not complete and unequivical successes fully justifying their status as record signings.

I think with Convey he took a year to settle, and in his third season, we didn't miss him because Hunt really stepped up and Seol came in and was massive. I thought Seol, for all his faults, was a huge player. We were a hard working, well organised side and he just threw in a huge dose of flair into the mix.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 May 2024 11:58

Wonder when the release list is coming?

Got me into checking what happened to last years lot, pretty much a tale of failure

Loum went to Saudi, seems to have played a fair bit there - 26 games from what I can see

Casadei didn’t really kick on like I thought he might - 8(14) appearances for Leicester and 69 prem league minutes. Needs a big season next year

Jeff Hendrick barely played for Sheff Weds

Just 4 FA cup appearances for Lumley for Soton

Tom Ince 8(19) appearances for Watford and think they are keen to get rid. 2 goals, 2 assists and only 839 mins

Yakou Meite must have been doing something right to rack up 26(12) appearances for Cardiff whilst managing a feeble 2 goals and 1 assist.

Dann retired. Moore we know went to Northampton and was released after 5(3) appearances

Can’t think if I’ve missed anyone there

royals6719

by royals6719 » 07 May 2024 12:13

The £50,000 signing was Dave Shipperley from Charlton - father of ex-Chelsea Neil

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2024 12:56

Hound Wonder when the release list is coming?

Got me into checking what happened to last years lot, pretty much a tale of failure

Loum went to Saudi, seems to have played a fair bit there - 26 games from what I can see

Casadei didn’t really kick on like I thought he might - 8(14) appearances for Leicester and 69 prem league minutes. Needs a big season next year

Jeff Hendrick barely played for Sheff Weds

Just 4 FA cup appearances for Lumley for Soton

Tom Ince 8(19) appearances for Watford and think they are keen to get rid. 2 goals, 2 assists and only 839 mins

Yakou Meite must have been doing something right to rack up 26(12) appearances for Cardiff whilst managing a feeble 2 goals and 1 assist.

Dann retired. Moore we know went to Northampton and was released after 5(3) appearances

Can’t think if I’ve missed anyone there

Just confirms we took the dregs no one else wanted.

Can't help but feel the way a few players stepped up this season we may have started stronger and not had to worry much about relegation if we'd given them more Champ time over the wasters we used.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 07 May 2024 12:58

Wasn't Emerse Fae a record signing at the time? I could (and am most likely wrong). He again was hit and miss, some really strong games, but mostly powderpuff.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 May 2024 13:04

Also noted that we may come up against Stephen Quinn who Mansfield have offered a new deal to

Wouldn’t have expected that after his injuries here. Quality player though, really liked him

3237 posts