BFTG Forest Home

107 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG Forest Home

by PieEater » 12 Jan 2019 19:04

Surprised not to see a thread already.

We really deserved the win today, Forest where a shambles and in the end it was a comfortable win,

The goal was one of the best I've seen at the Mad stad, an incisive pass and great one touch play with a good finish from Swift.

After the handbags with Murphy, who should of had a straight red, the game was over but the relief of the second goal was great. I have a slight confusion about being happy about winning at home - can we somehow avoid relegation if we just beat Rotherhams results?

My MOTM was Rhinomota who was everywhere, he's going to me a star.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Forest Home

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2019 19:12

Great 3 points. Launched at Forest right from the off and that I think is what won it as they didn’t seem to be expecting it and they just couldn’t settle into their own game. And the great news on that is that that is what Gomes wants. A high press and tempo to make sure the ball quickly gets back under the team’s control but combined with the slick quick passing that Stam was trying to get to. Certainly suits me after 2 years of the utter dross of patient slow not get anywhere fast football.

Think everyone played really well and looked thoroughly bought in to “project Gomes”. The new loans looked useful. Ejaria can pass, run and tackle rather than just one of the three which means we now have him and Rinomhota more than capable in that department. That said though, I did feel Ejaria faded a little as the second half wore on and was correctly substituted.

Baker looked calm, assured and can pick a pass after he came on but that was against 10 and then 9 so I guess that he should have done. He might be an upgrade for Bacuna if he can deliver that regularly but it’s too early to say.

Swift looked back to his best and Ilori was the other stand out player. I really do not think we should be offloading Ilori with Gomes trying to instil his philosophy into things.

Actually looking forward to the next game for the first time in 2 years. Let’s hope that will last but away to Derby is going to be the toughest game yet for Gomes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jan 2019 19:19

Best performance of the season. Best atmosphere of the season. Best referee of the season. Best result of the season....but we have to be more clinical.

Jaakkola. 7. Good handling and did well with the scramble save at the end
Yiadom. 8 Dodgy start but brilliant block and did really well in the air.
Richards 8 Did a number of crucial tackles. Deserved a yellow but fought really well
Moore. 7 Solid and did little wrong
Ilori. 7 A couple of poor early passes but otherwise better
Rinomhota. 8 Smart. Streetwise. High energy. This lad is some player
Ejaria. 7 More physical than I thought. Good first half not so good in the second period
Bacuna 7 Some really clever touches in the first half
Swift. 8. Majestic first half. Much more like the Swift of old. My MoTM
Barrow 7. Got an assist and looked dangerous. but should have scored
Bodvarsson. 7 Looked sharp. Worked his heart out. Looked knackered at the end

Baker. 8 Looked an absolute beast. Should have scored
GMac. 7. Worked hard and came close to scoring
Loader. 6. Didn’t have much time to impress.

Overall that was so much better. More tempo and far more pressing of the opposition. We should have scored two or three more. Encouraging signs but we are in a dogfight and need to keep picking up points.
I thought Gomes got his subs spot on especially Richards who may have seen red if he mistimed a tackle in the latter stages.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Jan 2019 19:28

Zip Best performance of the season. Best atmosphere of the season. Best referee of the season. Best result of the season....but we have to be more clinical.

Jaakkola. 7. Good handling and did well with the scramble save at the end
Yiadom. 8 Dodgy start but brilliant block and did really well in the air.
Richards 8 Did a number of crucial tackles. Deserved a yellow but fought really well
Moore. 7 Solid and did little wrong
Ilori. 7 A couple of poor early passes but otherwise better
Rinomhota. 8 Smart. Streetwise. High energy. This lad is some player
Ejaria. 7 More physical than I thought. Good first half not so good in the second period
Bacuna 7 Some really clever touches in the first half
Swift. 8. Majestic first half. Much more like the Swift of old. My MoTM
Barrow 7. Got an assist and looked dangerous. but should have scored
Bodvarsson. 7 Looked sharp. Worked his heart out. Looked knackered at the end

Baker. 8 Looked an absolute beast. Should have scored
GMac. 7. Worked hard and came close to scoring
Loader. 6. Didn’t have much time to impress.

Overall that was so much better. More tempo and far more pressing of the opposition. We should have scored two or three more. Encouraging signs but we are in a dogfight and need to keep picking up points.
I thought Gomes got his subs spot on especially Richards who may have seen red if he mistimed a tackle in the latter stages.

Actually Richard`s dived into a reckless tackle towards the end of the 1st half when already on a yellow, luckily he got the ball, but if he missed it he was off.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Jan 2019 19:29

3 points. Clean sheet. First team we've beaten in the top half of the table in over 12 months. Job done.

Loan signings look as if they'll make a usefull contribution to the team.

As we did at Millwall. Nottingham Forest did themselves no favours with the sendings off. Good to see the team spirit when the handbags flew though.

Best atmosphere at the Madstad for a long time. Hopefully this will take this particular monkey off the players backs.

Liked Gomes post match comments. Not about him , or individual players, but Reading Football Club. Seems as if there's an understanding of what's required.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 12 Jan 2019 19:32

There is only one thing that can sum up how I feel tonight...

https://youtu.be/_rp3toJ9cAQ

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 12 Jan 2019 19:39

Zip Best referee of the season. .

Really? :shock:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 Jan 2019 19:42

Really enjoyed that.
Built on the Man U game with the same passing with a purpose, but this time we pressed them hard, really hard, all game, and got our just deserts.

And short of getting a dog on the pitch, is there anything better in football than that kind of og?.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Jan 2019 19:43

LWJ

And the Taller Than Ronnie Corbett Award goes to ....

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Jan 2019 19:45

LWJ

Definately, didn`t get anything wrong.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Jan 2019 19:56

windermereROYAL
LWJ

Apparently Richards should have walked?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 12 Jan 2019 19:56

Forest were dreadful, but I don’t think we allowed them to play by pressing high and hard. But they just didn’t seem to have any players on any quality. Have never rated Daryl Murphy either. Surprised they didn’t press us like we did them. Seemed happy to sit in and let us try to play around them.

And the match stats really didn’t reflect the game. Yes they had 44% possession but most of it was within 30 yards of their own goal. And their shots were little pea dribblers.

Swift MoTM for me. Yes he wasn’t perfect but did a lot of good stuff. Barrow looked like he actually cared today for the first time this season. Thought Baker looked a proper player. Less convinced by Ojie and disappointed that Rino got moved to right back again. Put Bacuna there or bring Blackett on for Richards. And I thought Richards had his best game defensively today. I think Meite won’t play much in this system. Reckon Baldock’s work rate will elevate him above Meite and good to see Bod back.

Glad for the three points and can’t believe we now don’t have a nome game until 2nd Feb

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 12 Jan 2019 19:58

CountryRoyal
windermereROYAL
LWJ Really? :shock:

Not for me. Definitely a yellow

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Jan 2019 20:00

3points
CountryRoyal
windermereROYAL

Fair enough, couldn’t go or haven’t seen yet just reiterating what another poster previously observed.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Jan 2019 20:02

3points
CountryRoyal
windermereROYAL

Late tackle yes, but one footed and not high, then again I would say that wouldn`t I. their guy was a two footed lunge from where I was sitting. RTG and all that.
And how stupid was Fox for getting involved in the handbags when already on a yellow?

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 12 Jan 2019 20:03

Most enjoyable. Not very often you can say that on a Saturday!
It was amusing watching Florist self destruct.
Their number 4 was a red card waiting to happen. (Mind you I thought Richards was a trifle lucky :roll: )
Their little ginger in midfield having a crying tantrum was also amusing :D

Signs are promising and I feel to a certain extent were getting our Reading back.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 12 Jan 2019 20:05

Mr AR had a great game. Swift was superb. Their No. 6 is now wearing the Dolphins badge on account of successful dives.

Swansea in reverse. Great day.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Jan 2019 20:21

Platypuss Really enjoyed that.
Built on the Man U game with the same passing with a purpose, but this time we pressed them hard, really hard, all game, and got our just deserts.

And short of getting a dog on the pitch, is there anything better in football than that kind of og?.

Ngl, I rather enjoyed Yiadom's cheeky wave goodbye to Fox too.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 12 Jan 2019 20:31

Well played Reading ! To see the team to a man working their socks off and giving everything they had was a joy to behold. The stadium had a completely different feel and atmosphere to all the pervious home games. We're still in deep sh*t but if the team play with that commitment and effort for the remainder of the season then if we still go down so be it, for it wont be for lack of trying. Gomes has certainly brought a good feeling back to out beloved football club. Some very tough games coming up but there is a now a glimmer of hope, how ever long it takes

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2019 20:33

Happy for the win and starting to see some progression. Pleased to see Ilori looking much better today, but he has to maintain it because one off games mean nowt. Swift improving as well, apart from last week he's played well the last few games. Side point, we look so much better with Bodvarsson upfront, not with Yakou who can't control the ball in a 5 mile radius

IIRC wasn't the last time we had back to back victories against Forest (H) and Derby (A) last season? Went up there against all odds and won 4-2, even Aluko scored that game. Really think we can beat them again, they're bang average this season apart from one strong run in Octobber/November time and arguably one of the worst teams to come to the Mad Stad this season, just hope that Wilson is injured for them

107 posts