The bottom of the table after the New Years Day fixtures

19 Millwall. 26/28
20 Wigan. 26/26
21 Rotherham 26/25
22 Bolton. 26/22
23 Reading. 26/20
24 Ipswich. 26/15

We were in dire straits.
So in 16 games since then 24 points made up of 6W, 6D and 4L. That’s some turnaround.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The League of 4

by paultheroyal » 13 Apr 2019 21:21

Zip The bottom of the table after the New Years Day fixtures

19 Millwall. 26/28
20 Wigan. 26/26
21 Rotherham 26/25
22 Bolton. 26/22
23 Reading. 26/20
24 Ipswich. 26/15

We were in dire straits.
So in 16 games since then 24 points made up of 6W, 6D and 4L. That’s some turnaround.

That is some turnaround

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Apr 2019 21:28

1.5 ppg over the season is borderline play off form. Considering how poor we were nyd, that’s a great effort

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Apr 2019 21:30

Hound 1.5 ppg over the season is borderline play off form. Considering how poor we were nyd, that’s a great effort

Yes it is just short of play off form which is hugely impressive considering the mess we were in.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 13 Apr 2019 21:32

Zip
Hound 1.5 ppg over the season is borderline play off form. Considering how poor we were nyd, that’s a great effort

Yes it is just short of play off form which is hugely impressive considering the mess we were in.

Loanees have made such a massive difference there - would be great if we could hang on to a few.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Apr 2019 21:35

muirinho
Zip

Loanees have made such a massive difference there - would be great if we could hang on to a few.

Lewis Baker is a realistic signing especially if we sell Swift for good money. Oliveira too. We will struggle to retain the others although Ejaria on a season long loan is a possibility.
All five have done well and seeing Baker’s face at full time was brilliant.
Also good to see Gunts and GMac at the end too.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Apr 2019 21:38

Mid Sussex Royal Basically with the goal diff, Rotherham likely need 2 wins and for us not to win any of our last 4 - so looking good seeing how similar our run ins are.

Hoping Derby can beat Brum on Friday so keeps them in touch with the bottom going into their game with Rotherham.

Our goal difference is ten better
They win two while we're losing four would wipe out six of those even if they're all by the odd goal.

I'm not counting on the goal difference just yet.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 13 Apr 2019 21:52

Zip
muirinho
Zip

Lewis Baker is a realistic signing especially if we sell Swift for good money. Oliveira too. We will struggle to retain the others although Ejaria on a season long loan is a possibility.

Most impressive thing for me about Gomes is the team spirit he's instilled. All the loan players, plus players on the fringes recently (e.g. McCleary a bit, but especially Gunter) clearly caring just as much about getting the draws and wins as the "core" players. So maybe even if we lose most of this lot of loanees, if we can get in a few similar, to bolster the squad, I trust Gomes to get the best out of whatever players he has next season.

Baker would be a great signing btw, I wasn't convinced his first couple of games, but he's been brilliant since then. AND if Swift and Kelly both go, we'll need a free and corner taker.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Apr 2019 21:55

muirinho
Zip
muirinho

Most impressive thing for me about Gomes is the team spirit he's instilled. All the loan players, plus players on the fringes recently (e.g. McCleary a bit, but especially Gunter) clearly caring just as much about getting the draws and wins as the "core" players. So maybe even if we lose most of this lot of loanees, if we can get in a few similar, to bolster the squad, I trust Gomes to get the best out of whatever players he has next season.

Baker would be a great signing btw, I wasn't convinced his first couple of games, but he's been brilliant since then. AND if Swift and Kelly both go, we'll need a free and corner taker.

Yep. I just hope there are some funds available for Gomes. He has worked wonders without spending a penny on transfer fees albeit we will be paying loan fees.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Apr 2019 22:10

Baker has, I think, really benefited from being given a clear position and role. He's blossomed playing in that screening role in front of the defence that Kelly was often asked to play. It seemed his earlier games had less of a clearly defined role and were further forward.

Whilst Kelly did ok screening for the most part, he struggled with the physical side and carrying the ball forward (because of his stature and hobbit legs). By contrast Baker has excelled. He has a similar range of passing, but can compete on a physical level playing field with the opposition defensively and has the stride to break away forward when the opportunity presents.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Apr 2019 22:16

Zip
muirinho
Zip

Yep. I just hope there are some funds available for Gomes. He has worked wonders without spending a penny on transfer fees albeit we will be paying loan fees.

I believe Gomes said we are barely paying anything for the loan players, can’t recall exactly but I think we may be paying a fee for one of them but not the others. We’ve had some favours done by Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. I guess we were very lucky that they wanted players tested or put in the shop window.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Apr 2019 22:21

Nameless
Zip
muirinho

I believe Gomes said we are barely paying anything for the loan players, can’t recall exactly but I think we may be paying a fee for one of them but not the others. We’ve had some favours done by Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. I guess we were very lucky that they wanted players tested or put in the shop window.

Then it’s the best bit of business we have done in years.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 13 Apr 2019 22:48

Snowflake Royal Baker has, I think, really benefited from being given a clear position and role. He's blossomed playing in that screening role in front of the defence that Kelly was often asked to play. It seemed his earlier games had less of a clearly defined role and were further forward.

Whilst Kelly did ok screening for the most part, he struggled with the physical side and carrying the ball forward (because of his stature and hobbit legs). By contrast Baker has excelled. He has a similar range of passing, but can compete on a physical level playing field with the opposition defensively and has the stride to break away forward when the opportunity presents.

He is also equally happy playing with either foot, which is a major asset for any Midfielder.
Quality footballer and I hope we can sign him.
Ezatolahi, Baker and Rino would be a great midfield at this level.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Apr 2019 01:36

Snowflake Royal Baker has, I think, really benefited from being given a clear position and role. He's blossomed playing in that screening role in front of the defence that Kelly was often asked to play. It seemed his earlier games had less of a clearly defined role and were further forward.

Totally. Baker has looked a player Leeds should regret allowing to leave since coming here. I cant recall a loanee looking so dedicated.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Apr 2019 03:16

NewCorkSeth

Totally. Baker has looked a player Leeds should regret allowing to leave since coming here. I cant recall a loanee looking so dedicated.

Chris Martin?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Apr 2019 06:13

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

Chris Martin?

*dedicated to football.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Apr 2019 08:32

Seems to be much rejoicing all over the place after yesterday but need to keep our feet firmly on the ground , still work to be done, if we lose at Bristol and results go against us we could be back in the mix.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 14 Apr 2019 08:50

windermereROYAL Seems to be much rejoicing all over the place after yesterday but need to keep our feet firmly on the ground , still work to be done, if we lose at Bristol and results go against us we could be back in the mix.

I agree. It's not as if this exact same thing didn't happen last weekend! Massive three points though which was worthy of celebration, and at least the others around us didn't pick up three points this weekend. Hopefully Norwich can find their shooting boots again this afternoon!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 Apr 2019 11:12

Trying to work out if our noon ko on Friday is an advantage or not, guess it depends on the result

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Apr 2019 12:50

Wigan beating Norwich

540 posts