The League of 4

540 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The League of 4

by windermereROYAL » 19 Apr 2019 20:46

Quite happy about Birmingham not quite being on the beach yet, lose to Rotherham and they are only 4 points clear with 2 to play. park the bus and you are safe guys.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Apr 2019 22:38

I want Birmingham to finish 8 points outside the play-offs

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Apr 2019 13:52

It’s a unique madness of football fans that they see a rival who has won 8 of 43 games and 1 of the last 5 and for some reason decides they could win 2 out of 3 all of a sudden

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Apr 2019 17:23

Silver Fox It’s a unique madness of football fans that they see a rival who has won 8 of 43 games and 1 of the last 5 and for some reason decides they could win 2 out of 3 all of a sudden

I would normally agree with you (and I don't think it will happen) but take a look at 2nd from bottom Fulham who have now won 2 out of 2 and for the first time away this season, so it can happen.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Apr 2019 17:34

Victor Meldrew
Silver Fox It’s a unique madness of football fans that they see a rival who has won 8 of 43 games and 1 of the last 5 and for some reason decides they could win 2 out of 3 all of a sudden

I would normally agree with you (and I don't think it will happen) but take a look at 2nd from bottom Fulham who have now won 2 out of 2 and for the first time away this season, so it can happen.

Fulham started winning once they were relegated - they couldn't do it when the pressure was on.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2019 19:07

Victor Meldrew

Big difference winning 2 games you need to as opposed to 2 wins to get good ol Scotty the job for next season.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Apr 2019 20:14

muirinho
Victor Meldrew

Fulham started winning once they were relegated - they couldn't do it when the pressure was on.

Fair enough but my point also was that these teams CAN win even if they are right near the bottom and been hopeless all season.
Who would have thought that 10-man Wigan , a goal down would win at Leeds and Brighton , who appear to be in freefall, battle to get a point at Wolves?.

As I already said, I think we are ok and the most important result was probably the win at home to Wigan that looked so unlikely with minutes left to play.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Apr 2019 23:34

Strange things can happen and while it maybe unlikely, given previous form, anyone who thinks you can just sit back and relax for the final 270 minutes of this god awful miserable season because other teams will obviously continue to struggle needs their head examined.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Apr 2019 00:00

Sutekh Strange things can happen and while it maybe unlikely, given previous form, anyone who thinks you can just sit back and relax for the final 270 minutes of this god awful miserable season because other teams will obviously continue to struggle needs their head examined.

Well quite.

We’ve been relegated on goal difference. (Those middle class SW London cnuts)

Don’t ever relax.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Apr 2019 00:05

Sutekh Strange things can happen and while it maybe unlikely, given previous form, anyone who thinks you can just sit back and relax for the final 270 minutes of this god awful miserable season because other teams will obviously continue to struggle needs their head examined.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Apr 2019 00:25

If we had beaten them , rather than drawing twice this season. Then we wouldn't even need to be discussing this. As would be clear of the relegation zone.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Apr 2019 06:20

Lower West

If we had beaten them , rather than drawing twice this season. Then we wouldn't even need to be discussing this. As would be clear of the relegation zone.

Six points thrown away due to late goals conceded v Bolton and esp. Rotherham. If the club could have just seen out the two of those games where they conceded in injury time then Rotherham would currently be on 39 points and Reading would have 49 points and the season would at last have been over on Good Friday.

As ever with Reading though, if they are to survive they have to make it as hard and as stressful as possible. It’s the Reading way.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Apr 2019 06:25

Lower West

Yep and if my auntie had balls....

If our record against the current bottom 3 was just average rather than laudably shit we'd be comfortable but hey ho.

Someone mentioned the relegation on GD - that was the ultimate what if. We were relegated that year simply because we were pushing for equalisers and conceded late in both games v Fulham. If we had taken a 2-1 and 1-0 defeat, we would have stayed up.

elrey

by elrey » 21 Apr 2019 06:56

Sutekh
Lower West

Six points thrown away due to late goals conceded v Bolton and esp. Rotherham. If the club could have just seen out the two of those games where they conceded in injury time then Rotherham would currently be on 39 points and Reading would have 49 points and the season would at last have been over on Good Friday.

As ever with Reading though, if they are to survive they have to make it as hard and as stressful as possible. It’s the Reading way.

And then you don't see so much pressure and then you don't beat other teams, which sends you right back into it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Apr 2019 17:05

And then there were 3

Reading 46pts
Middlesbrough (a)
Birmingham (h)

Millwall 43pts
Stoke (h)
Bristol City(h)
Wigan (a)

Rotherham 40pts
West Brom (a)
Middlesbrough (h)

Ok, mathematically, it's not all over but we need 1pt, Millwall need 4 and Rotherham need a miracle considering the remaining fixtures.

In all probability, we are safe and Millwall need 1 more point.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Apr 2019 17:08

Excepting a massive goal difference swing we are safe, which means I can go to the Brum game (I admit I'm a serious jinx when it comes to home games)

Can't help feeling that Millwall are also safe as I can't see Rotherham getting 4 points, which is what they'll need unless there's another miracle goal difference movement

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Apr 2019 17:11

I can't see Rotherham winning at West Brom and I can't see Millwall losing to Stoke.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Apr 2019 17:18

I think its safe to say we can close this thread now and file under "ones to forget"

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2019 17:43

Looks like an absolutely lame performance from those ‘fighters’ of Rotherham

They’re down

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Apr 2019 23:09

And realistically then there were 2 - Millwall and Rotherham - (though for the sake of professionalism Gomes et al are rightly still talking of having a job to do at ‘boro and maybe Birmingham)

All Reading have to do is ensure they a) don’t lose both remaining games and b) don’t throw away a 13 goal “advantage” or c) don’t have points deducted over the remaining 2 games of the season.

540 posts