Gomes after 10 League Games

252 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes after 10 League Games

by Hound » 21 Apr 2019 11:49

Very much doubt PC had much to do with the dross hanging around. He aired his frustration a number of times with the size of the squad

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Apr 2019 13:21

sandman Personally thought Kermorgant sounded like a spoiled twat in his interview. Nowhere near as genuine as Moore was.

Gomes greatest weapon is the way he speaks. He has a romantic turn of phrase that can easily charm people and means he can get away with some things that others may not.

An example is when he says "our process". It's something he says a lot, especially after a loss, but no one really picks up on it as they might if he was using phrases like "fine margins" as someone who grew up with English as their first language.

Yes I think so too. The way he says ‘my players’ is also endearing.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Apr 2019 13:54

Snowflake Royal Technically McShane is captain still.

As for getting rid of the dross, plenty of it is still here, several of those gone either nearly went in the summer or were injured so couldn't go anywhere.

We were showing small results improvements under Clement. That's just a fact. It's in the numbers.

Even including the first two games, Gomes (1.33ppg) has us on a 61-point season whereas Clement had us failing to get to a point a game and probably relegated.

61 points is top half comfortably so the difference is huge

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Apr 2019 19:59

Not sure why anyone would waste time arguing that the second half of the season under Gomes has not been better in every way than the first half was under Clement. Under Clement we would have been relegated by now after a season of frustrating and uninspiring football.
We may still get relegated under Gomes but the football has been better, the team are better, we have scored some outstanding goals and the mood around the place is more positive.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2019 20:37

Nameless Not sure why anyone would waste time arguing that the second half of the season under Gomes has not been better in every way than the first half was under Clement.

No one has, so this is a bit weird.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2019 20:39

Snowball
Snowflake Royal Technically McShane is captain still.

As for getting rid of the dross, plenty of it is still here, several of those gone either nearly went in the summer or were injured so couldn't go anywhere.

We were showing small results improvements under Clement. That's just a fact. It's in the numbers.

Even including the first two games, Gomes (1.33ppg) has us on a 61-point season whereas Clement had us failing to get to a point a game and probably relegated.

61 points is top half comfortably so the difference is huge

I'm well aware thanks. Doesn't really relate to what I was saying other than to support what I've just said about Gomes doing well.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Apr 2019 21:09

I wasn't in favour of Clement's sacking and whether he could have improved results is all Ifs, Buts and Maybes but Gomes has completely revitalised the vibe around the club from day 1.

I do think his appointment is just one thing in a chain of events starting with Gourlay's exit that has seen the club heading upward but as someone else pointed out, the first thing Howe did when he returned to the club was sack Clement which suggests he had his ear to the ground as to the atmosphere behind the scenes. Madejski and Coppell always used to go on about having the right personality and fit for the club being more important than ability and we lost that for a few years. With Howe back I think we are beginning to get that back and the club is a more stable and happy place.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Apr 2019 23:09

From Despair To Where? the first thing Howe did when he returned to the club was sack Clement which suggests he had his ear to the ground as to the atmosphere behind the scenes.

Between the owners and NH they obviously decided that the gamble was worth taking in the much longer term. Whatever the "project" is. The football management team had to be onside with it. Accepting the financial constraints. The Chinese are renowned for their long term views. The investment in the academy /training facilities is a clear indication of where the future lies. If we cannot compete financially then bringing players up through the system is the way forward. Ajax being a club worth modelling on.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Apr 2019 00:48

Snowflake Royal
Nameless Not sure why anyone would waste time arguing that the second half of the season under Gomes has not been better in every way than the first half was under Clement.

No it’s not.

There is some very weird attempts to suggest Clement might have done as well as Gomes had he had different players, a different CEO and a different personality.
It’s fairly easy to see that as people who had nailed their colours to the Clement mast looking for justification which is pretty hard to find.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Apr 2019 01:30

Snowflake Royal

No it’s not. I think nameless is stating that you cnuts are having it good, so count your chickens.

Especially you Ian Royal who said he’d be shit. That doesn’t seem to have worked out,

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 22 Apr 2019 06:44

:lol:

Admit it, you were wrong...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2019 07:06

:| I did weeks ago you tards.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 22 Apr 2019 07:20

Without qualifications and justifications.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Apr 2019 07:22

Some people still can't get over Clement replacing their beloved Stam and their dreams of the Berkshire version of Total Football and have steadfastly refused to acknowledge anything decent Clement did. Like giving Meite a chance to start and develop. As Ian says, he also spotted where there were weaknesses in the team and at least tried to address them even if the players signed didn't work out. Once you identify those weaknesses you need to make sure you research those players and their characters properly, as Moore alluded to with Brighton and the research into him their scouts did.

The only thing Moore really said negatively about Clement was about communication. It's interesting to hear as I listened to an interview with Clement by Graham Hunter where he said that because he'd worked in countries that he didn't fully know the language he took a less is more approach to speaking with players. By what Moore is saying that is the approach he took here and was probably the wrong one to take.

Every manager has his faults and I suspect that at some point next season we will see some of the faults Gomes has.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Apr 2019 07:40

Interesting re the language. Obviously not something Gomes as had an issue with....
Given how international football is, and how articulate manyof the top players are in multiple languages you’d think not too much dumbing down would be necessary, especially if it means you can’t get your ideas across. I wonder which of our players Clement decided spoke so little English that he felt he needed to avoid talking to the entire squad ?
The bit about Stam is where it gets really weird. Gomes’ performance has nothing to do with what Stam did ((and then didn’t) do. Gomes has done way better than Stam in some areas (how a world class defender never really got to grips with organising our defence is puzzling). He’s proved way more flexible and pragmatic than Stam.
I think history may well show Stam to have been lucky but uninspired, Clement to be unlucky and uninspired and who knows how Gomes will be seen when his tenure is over.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Apr 2019 09:02

Nameless Interesting re the language. Obviously not something Gomes as had an issue with....
Given how international football is, and how articulate manyof the top players are in multiple languages you’d think not too much dumbing down would be necessary, especially if it means you can’t get your ideas across. I wonder which of our players Clement decided spoke so little English that he felt he needed to avoid talking to the entire squad ?

Looking at the players that Clement worked with there's not many players who don't have English as a first language and of those who didn't, they're all Scandinavian or Dutch except for Kermorgant, who'd been playing in England for 10 years, and Meite.

I have no idea what the future holds for Gomes but with Gourlay leaving, Howe returning and Gomes coming in, this season does feel like a turning point after 5 shambolic years.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Apr 2019 10:36

That's not really the context of what he was saying. He was talking about selecting the most important things you say to players rather than drowning them with too many instructions.

The podcast is still available so you'll be able to listen to it and discover the context of the conversation for yourself, Nameless.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Apr 2019 10:42

sandman That's not really the context of what he was saying. He was talking about selecting the most important things you say to players rather than drowning them with too many instructions.

Isn't that an absolutely key skill for managing people, though, the ability to communicate and motivate in an effective, concise manner? He could have the greatest tactical mind alive but if he can't communicate his ideas properly, it means jack shit.

As a lot of people have been saying all along, the single key thing Gomes has brought is the ability to communicate and man manage well.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Apr 2019 10:56

Puzzled and bemused by his appointment.....and yet he appears to have taken a team that was on its knees under the last clueless imposter, bought in some quality and turned it around. That's quite impressive. He hasn't been afraid to drop players and I think he is learning. He was clearly a big gamble but worth it. I think next season we will be in decent shape again. I think he is already my favourite manager since BM mk1.....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Apr 2019 11:49

252 posts