MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a)

330 posts
yuomi

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a)

by yuomi » 18 Feb 2023 14:54

Quick point, our average passing accuracy over the last three games is 64% (last night was 66, and against Sunderland it was 62, which is the lowest I can remember seeing by pretty much any team).

Shouldn't be, but I'm shocked by this. I get we're a lump it long ball team now, but even our short passing is atrocious.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Feb 2023 17:52

leon Let’s absolutely face this that was embarrassing.

This was a team that last won at home early November. They’re shit and we made them look like world beaters.

We are going backwards at an alarming rate

Did I hear correctly and they had only managed to score 11 goals at home this season too?!

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Feb 2023 12:33

Royal_jimmy
TiagoIlori Because the club has done an atrocious job at finding managers- Steve Clarke was the last one I felt happy about. Every single appointment the Chinese since took over we’ve had to convince ourselves that we’d be okay.

Paul Clement - failed at both Derby and Swansea. Went just as well as I thought it would go.

Jose Gomes - journeyman manager which was only going to end one way.

Bowen - first job in management so no idea what to expect. Did alright to be fair, but the post lockdown football was absolutely shocking. No one uses Puscas as a target man.

Paunovic - blatantly unqualified for the job and didn’t take long for it to show.

Ince - done a job last season and this season, but I have some serious doubts over our long term future under him. I really hope the rumours from last summer that we gave him three years aren’t true.

Once the time comes for a new manager I want to see an actual appointment, no mates of the CEO or a dodgy superagent.

The thing that's struck me is there's no leadership or planning on a style of play. Each of these managers has a totally different style of play so when a new manager comes in the players have to get used to a new style of play or the new gaffer signs lots of his own players meaning we get a bloated squad. Like what happened when Bowen was manager.

Bowen needs to stay in his job for at least 5 years and work on a long term way of playing and look at managers who fit our ethos. We can also hire scouts who can find players who are suited to that style of play too. It's how Brentford have become very successful.

Don’t think we necessarily have to have a clear style of play, but we need a clear plan.

There is absolutely no reason for why our academy can’t be a money making machine for example. We can’t sustain ourselves in this division without making big sales.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Feb 2023 13:04

I haven't really had the feeling anyone of our managers have had an actual strategy for scoring for a long time.

Beyond, you know, passing until something turns up, or give it to Olise / Swift / Ejaria / Joao whoever and expect them to create something.

I know you want to avoid being predictable and easily nullified and the players have to have the freedom to make choices on the pitch and adapt to circumstances. But with our good managers there was always a clear pattern to our play for how to create a chance that you could predict.

Under Pardew:

Hughes and Forster break through the middle with pace on the counter and play off the shoulder etc

Or Salako and Rougier(?) feed Cureton and Butler in the box.

Coppell, get the ball down the flanks quickly and feed Doyle / Kitson / Lita with Sidwell coming in late.

McDermott, hit the diagonals in behind the fullbacks for Long to chase

Get the ball to the flanks for Kebe and McAnuff to feed the strikers.

I've got nothing for how Ince expects us to create chances.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Feb 2023 13:50

yuomi Quick point, our average passing accuracy over the last three games is 64% (last night was 66, and against Sunderland it was 62, which is the lowest I can remember seeing by pretty much any team).

Shouldn't be, but I'm shocked by this. I get we're a lump it long ball team now, but even our short passing is atrocious.

And that's part of the problem really. All well and good Ince is saying we don't have the players, where he probably does have a point, this is why Casadei was brought in, Fornah is tidy enough with the ball, Ince can keep it well etc.

Knocking long balls to Carroll to flick on to 1 person to run onto when you have 2/3 opposition defenders around you isn't going to work. It's as if we don't want to look after the ball.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 24 Feb 2023 21:14

From Despair To Where?
Brogue
karbota
But the facts tell us the last time Reading FC won anything significant was with a majority British team, British manager, and British owners!

assuming you mean the 11/12 season when we won the champ

here are the players who played the most in the usual positions

GK- Fedders - Australian
RB andy griffin - English
LB Harte - irish
CB Pearce -Scottish
CB Gorkss- Latvian
CM -Leigertwood - Antigua and Barbuda
CM - Jem Karacan - Turkish
RW - Kebe - Mali
LW - HRK -Wales
ST - Noel Hunt - Irish
ST - Roberts - Grenada

so 3 British players in the first 11

Alex Pearce was capped by Ireland.

Lots of 2nd/3rd generation immigrants there.

I am referring to our record-breaking 106 season 2005-6

19 British players out of the 25-man squad, British coaching staff, British manager, and British owner.

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/reading-fc/2006/2/

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Feb 2023 21:29

karbota
From Despair To Where?
Brogue
assuming you mean the 11/12 season when we won the champ

here are the players who played the most in the usual positions

GK- Fedders - Australian
RB andy griffin - English
LB Harte - irish
CB Pearce -Scottish
CB Gorkss- Latvian
CM -Leigertwood - Antigua and Barbuda
CM - Jem Karacan - Turkish
RW - Kebe - Mali
LW - HRK -Wales
ST - Noel Hunt - Irish
ST - Roberts - Grenada

so 3 British players in the first 11

19 British players out of the 25-man squad, British coaching staff, British manager, and British owner.

Republic of Ireland isn't Britain you moron.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 24 Feb 2023 21:38

tidus_mi2
karbota
From Despair To Where?

He also said ‘the last time we won anything significant’. Which was of course the season we went up with Brian. Which is where I got my players from

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 24 Feb 2023 22:07

tidus_mi2
karbota
From Despair To Where?

1. If you have Irish Grandparents born before 1949 you're technically eligible for a British passport.

2. The last time I looked at a map of the British Isles it included the whole of the Island of Ireland.

3. Despair and other Remoaner FWs keep telling me the Scots the welsh the Irish are the true Brits!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Feb 2023 22:47

There were far fewer foreign players in English football back then in general - especially in the Championship. So, i imagine Reading had a similar number of domestic players to everyone else. I highly doubt that restricting our squad to British players would improve our chances in the league.

330 posts