The Retained List

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Retained List

by Stranded » 08 May 2024 14:27

super darren caskey I am probably the only one here disappointed that NGW has bee released. I know he allegedlly had a falling out with Selles so him staying on was always very unlikely. I always thought NGW was lively when he played especially going forward. Can be dodgey at the back no question so could be moire suited to LM. I feel under a different manger he would not have gone out on loan and kicked on more for us

I feel its our loss to be honest but i know most people will feel different

Can see where you are coming from as there is probably a player in there but I think this loan at Stevenage shows that L1 is perhaps not his current level - he only started 5 games there and 2 of those were the last 2 when the play-offs had gone and the manager who signed him had quit.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 08 May 2024 14:35

To echo others: O'm surprised we've left Mola go, but perhaps the player didn't want a new deal; his wages were going to be too high; he has other interest from elsewhere; we've got other options in mind.

Matty Carson isn't too much of a surprise. He won't be able to play in the U21s next season (IIRC) and really needs first team football to develop as a player. Hopefully he gets a deal at a club at a decent level.

Pleasantly surprised we had a one year option on Femi Azeez and Michael Craig. That means we've basically retained everyone from the first team squad who wasn't on loan - a very good sign ahead of the transfer window.

So our starting squad will be:

Goalkeepers
  • Andresson, Jokull
  • Bouzanis, Dean
  • Button, David
  • Pereira, Joel
Full-backs
  • Abrefa, Kelvin (subject to signing the new contract)
  • Yiadom, Andy
Centre-backs
  • Bindon, Tyler
  • Dorsett, Jeriel
  • Dean, Harlee
  • Mbengue, Amadou
Central midfielders
  • Craig, Michael
  • Rushesha, Tivonge (subject to signing the new contract)
  • Savage, Charlie
  • Wing, Lewis
Attacking midfielders and wingers
  • Camara, Mamadi
  • Elliott, Ben
  • Knibbs, Harvey
Strikers
  • Ehibatiomhan, Kelvin
  • Smith, Sam
  • Wareham, Jayden
Players from the U21s and U18s to be announced in due course.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2024 14:36

Guess the u21 retained list may also give us some indication of where things are at. Think Ryan was only on a season.

Might be thoughts of Senga, Akande, Tuma etc having more of a first team role this coming season as well

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 May 2024 14:44

I'm expecting Jahmari to be released.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2024 14:46

Elm Park Kid I'm expecting Jahmari to be released.

Has another year I think

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 May 2024 14:52

Hound

Has another year I think

Another season not involved much with the 1st team will see the end of his time at Reading.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 May 2024 14:56

6ft Kerplunk What embargo/restriction will we be under if the takeover goes through? Are we still looking at free transfers/out of contract players only?

Aren't we still under an embargo for the next 2 transfer windows?

If so , it will just be freebies and loans and at least last season's acquisitions show what can be done but seeing the numbers retained we might not be doing too much business regardless of the ownership.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 May 2024 15:04

South Coast Royal
6ft Kerplunk What embargo/restriction will we be under if the takeover goes through? Are we still looking at free transfers/out of contract players only?

If so , it will just be freebies and loans and at least last season's acquisitions show what can be done but seeing the numbers retained we might not be doing too much business regardless of the ownership.

In L1, there is loads of good business to be done on frees and loans. When we can spend fees again in summer 2025, I hope we are very sparing with them. It can make a difference; Aaron Collins was a great mid season signing for Bolton. But we can build the foundations and structure on a free; perhaps just a few fees needed to finish the roof and windows.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 08 May 2024 15:13

WestYorksRoyal
South Coast Royal

In L1, there is loads of good business to be done on frees and loans. When we can spend fees again in summer 2025, I hope we are very sparing with them. It can make a difference; Aaron Collins was a great mid season signing for Bolton. But we can build the foundations and structure on a free; perhaps just a few fees needed to finish the roof and windows.

It's very rare a League One club actually signs a player for a transfer fee anyway.

We got some very good League One players for free last summer - Lewis Wing; Sam Smith; Harvey Knibbs all spring to mind. I imagine we'll be able to do good business again from the free market. We'll also be the only League One club next season with a Category One academy.

I think the analogy works well and often clubs can get out of League One with just the foundations, before fitting the roof and windows once they're in the Championship.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 May 2024 15:17

Clyde1998
WestYorksRoyal
South Coast Royal

It's very rare a League One club actually signs a player for a transfer fee anyway.

We got some very good League One players for free last summer - Lewis Wing; Sam Smith; Harvey Knibbs all spring to mind. I imagine we'll be able to do good business again from the free market. We'll also be the only League One club next season with a Category One academy.

I think the analogy works well and often clubs can get out of League One with just the foundations, before fitting the roof and windows once they're in the Championship.

We may have that Academy but it might take some persuading of players to join what externally has been a basket case of a club.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 08 May 2024 15:28

South Coast Royal
Clyde1998
WestYorksRoyal In L1, there is loads of good business to be done on frees and loans. When we can spend fees again in summer 2025, I hope we are very sparing with them. It can make a difference; Aaron Collins was a great mid season signing for Bolton. But we can build the foundations and structure on a free; perhaps just a few fees needed to finish the roof and windows.

We may have that Academy but it might take some persuading of players to join what externally has been a basket case of a club.

If the takeover goes through then hopefully the "Basket Case of a club" will drift off into the night. We started to look a good team after Christmas and it didn't go unnoticed amongst opposition managers and their words of praise about the team.
With the the Academy up and running and new ownership i would expect us to be a very attractive club to join for most in the lower leagues, even more so with a manager not afraid to use youth in the first team.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 May 2024 15:37

Crowbar6753
South Coast Royal
Clyde1998 It's very rare a League One club actually signs a player for a transfer fee anyway.

If the takeover goes through then hopefully the "Basket Case of a club" will drift off into the night. We started to look a good team after Christmas and it didn't go unnoticed amongst opposition managers and their words of praise about the team.
With the the Academy up and running and new ownership i would expect us to be a very attractive club to join for most in the lower leagues, even more so with a manager not afraid to use youth in the first team.

You don't need to persuade me m8-I'm a believer already. :wink:

The academy is great for the longer term but I feel that at the moment we need to shore up the first team squad with a few more experienced players, particularly at centre-back, left-back and wide left and possibly right.

Get those in and we might do something next season but currently across football we are still very much perceived as that basket case of a club which will surely affect some potential signings.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 May 2024 16:32

What is the deal with him? I saw one or two games, including his two goals as sub vs Blues. Thought he was, at the very least, a handful of a striker.

Certainly capable of causing a defence issues at League 1 and a very different style to both Smith and Kelv.

yuomi

by yuomi » 08 May 2024 16:53

Pete O'Rourke (SportsPeteO) from FootyInsider is saying Mola was offered a deal and that the prospective new owners changed the terms leading to talks stalling and him leaving - putting 'a host of Championship clubs on alert'.

Pete O'Rourke
@SportsPeteO
A host of Championship clubs are on alert for Reading defender Clinton Mola on a free transfer this summer.
Mola's contract at Reading expires next month and he is free to find a new club after contract talks stalled with Reading.

Reading had offered Mola a new deal to keep him at the Berkshire outfit, but the club's prospective new owners changed the terms of the offer and the defender is now set to become a free agent next month.

Mola's versatility in that he can play anywhere across the backline having played at left-back, centre-back and right-back for Reading this season has caught the eye of a number of clubs.

https://twitter.com/SportsPeteO/status/1788230050644414701

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2024 17:39

super darren caskey I am probably the only one here disappointed that NGW has bee released. I know he allegedlly had a falling out with Selles so him staying on was always very unlikely. I always thought NGW was lively when he played especially going forward. Can be dodgey at the back no question so could be moire suited to LM. I feel under a different manger he would not have gone out on loan and kicked on more for us

I feel its our loss to be honest but i know most people will feel different

I liked him, but this has been a done deal since about September, so hard to be upset

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 08 May 2024 18:35

yuomi Pete O'Rourke (SportsPeteO) from FootyInsider is saying Mola was offered a deal and that the prospective new owners changed the terms leading to talks stalling and him leaving - putting 'a host of Championship clubs on alert'.

Pete O'Rourke
@SportsPeteO
A host of Championship clubs are on alert for Reading defender Clinton Mola on a free transfer this summer.
Mola's contract at Reading expires next month and he is free to find a new club after contract talks stalled with Reading.

Reading had offered Mola a new deal to keep him at the Berkshire outfit, but the club's prospective new owners changed the terms of the offer and the defender is now set to become a free agent next month.

Mola's versatility in that he can play anywhere across the backline having played at left-back, centre-back and right-back for Reading this season has caught the eye of a number of clubs.

James Earnshaw suggesting Mola leaving had nothing to do with anything to do with the change in ownership: https://twitter.com/james_e1871/status/ ... 8832517188

I'm guessing he just had enough interest from Championship clubs to not want to sign a new deal.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 08 May 2024 20:44

Clyde1998
yuomi Pete O'Rourke (SportsPeteO) from FootyInsider is saying Mola was offered a deal and that the prospective new owners changed the terms leading to talks stalling and him leaving - putting 'a host of Championship clubs on alert'.

Pete O'Rourke
@SportsPeteO

James Earnshaw suggesting Mola leaving had nothing to do with anything to do with the change in ownership: https://twitter.com/james_e1871/status/ ... 8832517188

I'm guessing he just had enough interest from Championship clubs to not want to sign a new deal.

Championship clubs showing their commitment to diversity by appointing blind people as scouts.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2024 21:38

He did ok but interesting champ clubs? Not sure about that

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 May 2024 22:09

Hound He did ok but interesting champ clubs? Not sure about that

Decent cheap back up for the whole back four. I can see why a Championship club might be interested.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 May 2024 22:16

Tyler Blackett has just been released by Rotherham still only 30. Would do a job in league 1 at LB?