Our ability at corners

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Our ability at corners

by strap » 27 Aug 2006 13:06

Last season we seemed to be pretty lethal form corners, well if rerunning the Champions DVD is anything to go by. In the three games played this season we've significantly out-scored the opposition on corners ....

Middlesbrough 8-2
Aston Villa 6-1
Wigan 10-4

.... and yet we don't seem to been a particular threat.

Convey, Shorey and Seol seem to be taking them this year, with Convey, Shorey and Little last year, so little change in personnel. Obviously Premier defences are better, but I would have expected more of a threat given the sheer number of corners we've won. Any thoughts on why the apparent change from last year?

rob.sallis

by rob.sallis » 27 Aug 2006 13:10

maybe the sonko and ingarmarson (cnt spell) are not to sure about pushing forward?

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 27 Aug 2006 13:15

A mixture of poor delivery and over reliance on taking the corner short. Whereas last season corners (and free kicks) were taken quickly and the ball got into the box quickly, this season we seem to have dithered more on the ball resulting in a poor ball into the box (if at all).

It's fine to keep the short corner as an option, but we might be better off just playing the percentages and getting the ball into the area.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 27 Aug 2006 13:20

It was clear against Boro that short corners were not the way forward, but our boys have persisted.

Doyle, Sidwell and Seol (when he's not taking them) are all aerial threats and if Ivar and Sonks can get forward then we have an advantage over most teams. Set pieces are going to be where most of our goals are going to come from this term and I would like to see the short corner used as little as possible.

If the ball does get pinged out then we usually have Harps waiting just outside the box.

Proper corners are the only way.

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 27 Aug 2006 13:25

It's worth keeping the option of a short corner, if only because it usually drags at least one and sometimes two defenders out of the box, but like you say, proper corners would be more sensible.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 27 Aug 2006 13:28

Apologies - I didn't see bb0118's thread on this topic, otherwise I wouldn't have started a new one!

:oops:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 27 Aug 2006 18:20

strap Apologies - I didn't see bb0118's thread on this topic, otherwise I wouldn't have started a new one!

:oops:

this one is so much better presented tho.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Aug 2006 21:54

Finchley Royal It's worth keeping the option of a short corner, if only because it usually drags at least one and sometimes two defenders out of the box, but like you say, proper corners would be more sensible.

Have you ever seen a short corner work? because I certainly haven't and the ones we are trying right now don't even seem to get the ball near the box let alone into a danger area.

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

Re: Our ability at corners

by Bacon Double Cheese » 27 Aug 2006 21:58

strap Any thoughts on why the apparent change from last year?
No multi-ball in the Prem so we can't always take the corner as quickly?

WyW_URZ

by WyW_URZ » 27 Aug 2006 22:25

I think the lack of multiball is a huge factor, we seem to take an age to even think about taking corners, free kicks and throws this year.

Also maybe there is more pressure put on even sub conciously.... we must put a good ball in... what if we loose it, therefore we don't seem to commit. Whereas last year we had self belief. Against Boro we only started to play when we had nothing to lose, all the players relaxed and the quality of delivery was better.

Something we need to work upon

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 27 Aug 2006 23:24

Ian Royal
Finchley Royal It's worth keeping the option of a short corner, if only because it usually drags at least one and sometimes two defenders out of the box, but like you say, proper corners would be more sensible.

Have you ever seen a short corner work? because I certainly haven't and the ones we are trying right now don't even seem to get the ball near the box let alone into a danger area.

I can't think of a specific one - but I don't have total recall of Reading goals. My point was more that a bit of variety - mostly proper corners with the occasional short corner would be better than every corner just going into the box. If nothing else, holding open the possibility of a well taken short corner means that the defending side usually feels compelled to move one or two defenders over to the corner. This frees up space in the box giving an advantage to the attacking team.

But whether we take short corners or normal corners, the delivery needs to be much better.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 27 Aug 2006 23:43

I find our corners very frustrating. Even last year it was a huge weakness. The corners from the teams we've played so far have been whipped-in with pace and have caused problems, yet ours are usually floated and even championship defences were clearing them with ease.

And as for the short corners, me and the people around me were going nuts about them. Reading have persisted for years with these and I really can't ever recall one working. Just whip it into the box and have our extra man outside the box in case the ball breaks out (Harps is supposed to do this but he always seems stood in the wrong place....another reason out corners suck)

Upper West?!?

by Upper West?!? » 28 Aug 2006 00:00

Without Sonko and Kitson, Reading is seriously lacking in height. Given Wigan's size, the word must have gone out to do something other than ping it straight into the box.

urzmikep

by urzmikep » 28 Aug 2006 22:17

Totally agree, have never been a fan of the short corner, the only one that I can remember working was against Wrexham away (in the snow storm) over the Xmas break 3 or 4 seasons back (old division 2) - short corner taken to Forster who took the ball in his stride (it was the day that he wasn't injured) and smacked it into the net!!

Please, please, please go back to the wizzing the ball into the box, the only reason we maybe didn't do this against Wigan was because of the abscence of Sonko and Kitson, once they're back hopefully the message might hit home and we revert back to long corners again

:lol: :lol: :lol:

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 28 Aug 2006 22:38

Also Siddy's goal away at Leicester (I think it was) a couple of years back - top corner from just outside the box?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Aug 2006 07:23

Very disappointing so far with corners I think, too many short ones for starters - more work needed all round.

B16

by B16 » 29 Aug 2006 07:25

There was one against Derby at Pride Park just before Pardew left when we one 3-2

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Aug 2006 10:49

Row Z Royal Doyle, Sidwell and Seol (when he's not taking them) are all aerial threats and if Ivar and Sonks can get forward then we have an advantage over most teams.

Are you kidding. We're a pretty small side in comparison to most, especially without Sonko in the side, and just lumping the ball into the box won't bring us much success.

Ivar has probably been our biggest threat from corners over the last couple of years. He's scored a few with that near post run that nearly paid off on Saturday, but basically we're not cut out to be a major threat from corners as we're just not big enough.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 29 Aug 2006 11:04

B16 There was one against Derby at Pride Park just before Pardew left when we one 3-2

Scored by Scott Murray I believe.

B16

by B16 » 29 Aug 2006 11:35

Hoop Blah
Row Z Royal Doyle, Sidwell and Seol (when he's not taking them) are all aerial threats and if Ivar and Sonks can get forward then we have an advantage over most teams.

Are you kidding. We're a pretty small side in comparison to most, especially without Sonko in the side, and just lumping the ball into the box won't bring us much success.

Ivar has probably been our biggest threat from corners over the last couple of years. He's scored a few with that near post run that nearly paid off on Saturday, but basically we're not cut out to be a major threat from corners as we're just not big enough.

But we are ugly enough (except for Gay icon Kevin Doyle)