Halls

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Sep 2007 09:58

i am at a loss as to how people can see a performance so differently
and its not cos i hate halls or anything
i was willing him to have a good game to stick it to all th edoubters, like i always did with seol
but every time he got it he lost it, into double figures first half.
and i thought he came into the game a little rather than faded
started to really whip in some great balls later in the second half, and managed a goal
im not saying halls out by any means

anyway, each to his own!its a game of opinions and all that

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 26 Sep 2007 09:59

Adrian's Fool were undone only by a world-class talent.

He didn't score 3 fantastic solo goals, so yes he scored 3, but there is still plenty to be concerned about defensively in the build up to those goals.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 26 Sep 2007 10:01

Scarface
Adrian's Fool were undone only by a world-class talent.

He didn't score 3 fantastic solo goals, so yes he scored 3, but there is still plenty to be concerned about defensively in the build up to those goals.

I'm not convinced Liverpool would have scored 4 goals if he hadn't have been on the pitch. Yes defensive concerns blah blah blah but you have to admit their goals smacked of quality.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 26 Sep 2007 10:07

brendywendy i am at a loss as to how people can see a performance so differently
and its not cos i hate halls or anything
i was willing him to have a good game to stick it to all th edoubters, like i always did with seol
but every time he got it he lost it, into double figures first half.
and i thought he came into the game a little rather than faded
started to really whip in some great balls later in the second half, and managed a goal
im not saying halls out by any means

anyway, each to his own!its a game of opinions and all that

Totally agree with you on that!!!

HNA Shocker - two people actually watch the same game and have same opinion!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Sep 2007 10:08

phew

i was starting to wonder if id imagined it all

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Sep 2007 10:14

It doesn't matter how he played. What matters is Coppell picked our 6th choice right back over a promising youngster, who's not gonna get any other chances. Every kid in the academy is gonna look up to Henry as the best player we've produced in the last few years and they are gonna see that between him and the 1st team is every single senior player at the club, no matter how far that player is out of the 1st team picture, Coppell will pick him every time over a youth player. What message does that send out? Try all you like, you ain't gettin a chance at this club? I almost pissed myself when I got back from the game and watched it again on Sky+, the commentators both agreed how Coppell likes to bring youngsters into the side when Henry came on.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Sep 2007 10:56

BobKnows So he's no Ronaldo. Jees, it takes you lot all of five seconds to get on the back of someone else, now Seol has gone :roll: It's one game. I thought he was fine. He scored a goal. He probably wasn't playing his strongest natural position. Coppell has also chosen not to offload him, which suggests to me that he is not the peice of tat most of you seem to have him down as.

Well done, by the way, to the girl sat in front of me yesterday, who kept shouting "get him off Coppell" every time he got the ball. You might want to wait until he's played more than five minutes luv before you open your loud judgemental gob.

Halls has been her for 18 months, it's hardly a knee jerk reaction as people have questioned his ability ever since his first few games where followed up by poor reserve performances and a history of injuries.

If Coppell had received an offer for Halls he would've been gone. The fact he is still here is more a reflection of his fitness and lack of potential buyers than how highly Coppell rates him.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Sep 2007 11:09

Hoop Blah If Coppell had received an offer for Halls he would've been gone. The fact he is still here is more a reflection of his fitness and lack of potential buyers than how highly Coppell rates him.

I'm not sure that's true. Coppell does rate him, and has said that due to injuries he's never had a chance to prove what he can do because of injuries. Well, last night he got a chance.

It was also a way to see if he was the answer to our biggest current problem - the lack of a fit right-winger. If it's Ok for Rosenior (also a right-back) to be tried out there last week, why is it not OK for Halls to be tried out there in a match that's much less important?

For what it's worth I think he did OK. He didn't beat anyone but his crosses were superb, and he linked up with DLC very nicely indeed. Lack of fitness showed, but I can't understand the slating he's getting.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Sep 2007 11:15

Dirk Gently
Hoop Blah If Coppell had received an offer for Halls he would've been gone. The fact he is still here is more a reflection of his fitness and lack of potential buyers than how highly Coppell rates him.

I'm not sure that's true. Coppell does rate him, and has said that due to injuries he's never had a chance to prove what he can do because of injuries. Well, last night he got a chance.

It was also a way to see if he was the answer to our biggest current problem - the lack of a fit right-winger. If it's Ok for Rosenior (also a right-back) to be tried out there last week, why is it not OK for Halls to be tried out there in a match that's much less important?

For what it's worth I think he did OK. He didn't beat anyone but his crosses were superb, and he linked up with DLC very nicely indeed. Lack of fitness showed, but I can't understand the slating he's getting.
#

Come on how many right backs have we signed since Halls joined?

Murts, DLC, Bikey, Bryn and Rosenior would all get picked at right back over him. Oster, Rosenior, Fae, prob even Doyle, Long or DLC would all play right wing over him. He's on a decent wage compared to what he'd get somewhere else. Plus a right winger is an absolute must come Jan.

And the whole point is he picked this guy over Henry.

mzungu_royal

by mzungu_royal » 26 Sep 2007 11:18

you people who slated SKH when he was here are now trying to find someone else to slate. Get ovff of Halls' back. Bloody hell! He put good crosses over and scored one. Good performance in my book

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Sep 2007 11:20

Dirk Gently

#

Murts, DLC, Bikey, Bryn and Rosenior would all get picked at right back over him. Oster, Rosenior, Fae, prob even Doyle, Long or DLC would all play right wing over him. He's on a decent wage compared to what he'd get somewhere else. Plus a right winger is an absolute must come Jan.

Yep - so he's not going to get a look in at right-back. So why not try him as right-winger? Perhaps this is part of the process in deciding whether to keep him or let him go now he's injury-free?

It was an experiment, that's all. If it had worked maybe he'd have filled the gap right-wing until Jan - there's still 3 months of football and this was the only real chance for SC to see him play wide against a PL-standard defence.

Henry will get plenty of chances when SC think's he's ready - but this might have been the only chance to see Halls play there.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 26 Sep 2007 11:25

Hoop Blah
BobKnows So he's no Ronaldo. Jees, it takes you lot all of five seconds to get on the back of someone else, now Seol has gone :roll: It's one game. I thought he was fine. He scored a goal. He probably wasn't playing his strongest natural position. Coppell has also chosen not to offload him, which suggests to me that he is not the peice of tat most of you seem to have him down as.

Well done, by the way, to the girl sat in front of me yesterday, who kept shouting "get him off Coppell" every time he got the ball. You might want to wait until he's played more than five minutes luv before you open your loud judgemental gob.

Halls has been her for 18 months, it's hardly a knee jerk reaction as people have questioned his ability ever since his first few games where followed up by poor reserve performances and a history of injuries.

If Coppell had received an offer for Halls he would've been gone. The fact he is still here is more a reflection of his fitness and lack of potential buyers than how highly Coppell rates him.

I don't think you can really blame a player for having a history of injuries! I don't know if he is up to the job (though I suspect he is, once he's fully fit) because I have not seen enough of him in the first team to judge. I doubt that most of the the whingers on here have been to all the reserve matches he's been playing in...

I'm simply saying that there are far too many people willing to judge him on his supposed history, rather than the facts of his performance yesterday. He was more than adequate against top notch opposition.

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 26 Sep 2007 11:30

i thought he did ok given his lack of games. crossed well and we saw evidence of the 'quickest feet at the club' for his goal.

seems we're all watching different games but i thought he did enough to warrant a bench place as back-up at right mid for LR...

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Sep 2007 11:46

Dirk Gently
Dirk Gently

#

Yep - so he's not going to get a look in at right-back. So why not try him as right-winger? Perhaps this is part of the process in deciding whether to keep him or let him go now he's injury-free?

It was an experiment, that's all. If it had worked maybe he'd have filled the gap right-wing until Jan - there's still 3 months of football and this was the only real chance for SC to see him play wide against a PL-standard defence.

Henry will get plenty of chances when SC think's he's ready - but this
might have been the only chance to see Halls play there.

Maybe. But John Halls a Premiership right winger? How the hell did Coppell say he was happy with the squad if he's been reduced to seeing if Halls can play right wing to Jan.

I think it's the message that it sends to the youth team that's more important. I watch a lot of the academy, speak to parents, none of them think that Reading are good bringing through players and yesterday will have done nothing to change that view. When the next Walcott comes along, who's he gonna pick, us or Southampton? Things like yesterday will make him think twice about coming here.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Sep 2007 13:22

BobKnows I don't think you can really blame a player for having a history of injuries!

That depends on how bad the injuries are, how they were caused, how hard he tried to come back etc etc

As for Dirks comment about Coppell rating him. I think his comments have always been along the lines of "Halls has lots of ability" or "he has the quickest feet at the clubs" blah blah blah. I'm not sure thats the same thing as rating his contribution on the pitch!

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Sep 2007 13:27

Hoop Blah
BobKnows I don't think you can really blame a player for having a history of injuries!

That depends on how bad the injuries are, how they were caused, how hard he tried to come back etc etc

As for Dirks comment about Coppell rating him. I think his comments have always been along the lines of "Halls has lots of ability" or "he has the quickest feet at the clubs" blah blah blah. I'm not sure thats the same thing as rating his contribution on the pitch!

People were calling for him to play centre mid last season after Coppell's quick feet comments. :roll:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Sep 2007 13:38

Hoop Blah

SC wouldn't have bought Halls in the first place if he didn't rate him, and if he didn't still rate him he would have got rid - one way or another these things can be done.

He obviously rates him enough to try him out in another position, and I just don't see what's so wrong with that. He did OK (certainly, his crosses were far, far better than Rosenior, who didn't beat anyone either on Saturday) and SC would have learnt a lot from the experiment about what Halls can/can't do.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 26 Sep 2007 13:47

Hoop Blah

Again, a completely unfair argument. Why not call Glen Little a lazy oxf*rd because he just hasn't tried hard enough to get over his achilles problem :wink:

Quick feet ... wonky feet ... bearded tramp-a-like ... I don't care what anything THINKS John Halls is like, I'd rather judge him after he's had an opportunity in the first team.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 26 Sep 2007 14:00

When we signed Halls I posted that from what I had seen of him he was o.k. going forward but no good at defending.
He gave that woeful performance away at Birmingham confirming that he can't tackle.
Last night was him in a nutshell-comfortable on the ball and a decent crosser of the ball when given time but poor in all aspects of defending.
Unfortunately for him football IS a contact sport and you have to win the ball before getting the time that he needs to perform.
A position perhaps on the right of midfield for somebody like Leeds or Bristol Rovers but IMHO nowhere near up to Premiership standard.

murts_the_god

by murts_the_god » 26 Sep 2007 14:04

bre
crossie and score a screamer

I was just moaning that he should be taken off to allow Henry to play, and then he scored!

lol same here