Halls

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Sep 2007 14:04

As has been said so many times already, Halls's performance does not matter, the fact he got picked over Henry does, because of the message that sends out.

The only reason Halls is a Reading player is because no one else will pay him what he gets for being a Prem squad player, even at Reading.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Sep 2007 16:23

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe As has been said so many times already, Halls's performance does not matter, the fact he got picked over Henry does, because of the message that sends out.

The only reason Halls is a Reading player is because no one else will pay him what he gets for being a Prem squad player, even at Reading.

I doubt there is even the smallest chance that Halls is being paid any more than a Championship squad player. After all, he was bought during the Championship season and hasn't had the opportunity to show anything to merit any sort of increase.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Sep 2007 16:27

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe As has been said so many times already, Halls's performance does not matter, the fact he got picked over Henry does, because of the message that sends out.

Depends on what you want the message to be.

Maybe Halls has been flying in training for the past couple of weeks and those performances deserved a go.

If he had and didn't get to play then that would aslo send out a poor message.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Sep 2007 16:33

Halls played ok last nite. People are overly harsh on the guy in my book...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Sep 2007 16:34

murts_the_god
bre
crossie and score a screamer

I was just moaning that he should be taken off to allow Henry to play, and then he scored!

lol same here

i had been moaning a fair bit every time he lost the ball
but was giving it"told you he was great" when he scored!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Sep 2007 16:37

brendywendy
murts_the_god
bre
crossie and score a screamer

I was just moaning that he should be taken off to allow Henry to play, and then he scored!

lol same here

i had been moaning a fair bit every time he lost the ball
but was giving it"told you he was great" when he scored!

You are a Reading supporter AICMFP!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Sep 2007 16:39

i was being ironic when i said it though

in no way did i try to pretend that i actually did think he was brilliant

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Sep 2007 19:35

Wonder whether Steve Coppell would agree with that expert opinion?!

I thought that when we started to play a short, quick passing game Halls started to look pretty good.

Still, like Seol he doesn't spend enough time running around and chasing lost causes so he must be useless!

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 26 Sep 2007 19:43

Halls was OK in a Rosenior slightly out of position sort of way. On the other hand Henry was out of his depth (maybe the short pitch time will boost his confidence) and should be out on loan to a division 2 side to toughen up.

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 26 Sep 2007 19:51

Adrian's Fool I thought he had a very good game - enough to convince me he could do a job on the right in the league anyway. Our collective passing at times in the first half, including by Halls, was excellent - I don't recall him giving it away too much and certainly not in dangerous positions. As has been mentioned, his crossing was top notch, a match for shorey (who imho had a very good match attacking-wise as well) and for convey at times. He faded at times but then so did everyone.

It beggars belief how people can be upset at anyone after that performance - full of spirit, pace, energy. We were undone only by a world-class talent.
Yeah, what he said.

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 26 Sep 2007 20:02

Bacon Double Cheese
Adrian's Fool I thought he had a very good game - enough to convince me he could do a job on the right in the league anyway. Our collective passing at times in the first half, including by Halls, was excellent - I don't recall him giving it away too much and certainly not in dangerous positions. As has been mentioned, his crossing was top notch, a match for shorey (who imho had a very good match attacking-wise as well) and for convey at times. He faded at times but then so did everyone.

It beggars belief how people can be upset at anyone after that performance - full of spirit, pace, energy. We were undone only by a world-class talent.
Yeah, what he said.

Spot on.

I think people need to take a reality check with regards to Henry. From what I have seen he looks a talent, but, its early days with him. Remember he couldn't get a game on loan at Notts Forest last season, I know they were in a promotion battle but if this guy is as good as some make him out to be surely he would have got into a league 1 side? I'm all for giving youngsters a chance in the first team but only when their ready and I'm sure Steve Coppell will give him his chance as and when he is. Remember he still only 18.

ShrewsandRoyals

by ShrewsandRoyals » 26 Sep 2007 20:53

Interesting that MrS&R, who had never seen Halls play for Reading before, made the comment "I thought he was supposed to be crap?" during the game last night.

I asked him for his summary of Halls to put on the board. Some good, some bad, took his goal well, some good crosses, and seemed keen. Not great, but not bad. So, for what it's worth, that was an "outsider's" opinion.

Y25

by Y25 » 26 Sep 2007 22:01

he obviously tries hard in training

at the end of the day he lacks quality

a good championship player wasting his better years in our reserves

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Sep 2007 09:46

The Quiet Man Halls was OK in a Rosenior slightly out of position sort of way. On the other hand Henry was out of his depth (maybe the short pitch time will boost his confidence) and should be out on loan to a division 2 side to toughen up.

yeah cos his first ten minutes for the 1st team against liverpool is good to form an opinion on isnt it

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 27 Sep 2007 10:11

Y25 he obviously tries hard in training

But remember how many thought that of Sonko when he joined and now suddenly Sonko is Superman. So, maybe one day John Halls will leaving us to join Chelsea ....

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 27 Sep 2007 10:42

Pensioners?

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Sep 2007 10:44

Royalwaster

But remember how many thought that of Sonko when he joined and now suddenly Sonko is Superman. So, maybe one day John Halls will leaving us to join Chelsea ....

Halls isn't a good championship player, he's an average one at best. It's why despite being sat in our reserves for more than 2 years no one has taken him of our hands. We would never turn a bid down for him, Coppell would think it unfair.

I may have been harsh on Halls, he did alright. It's the selection over Henry that frustrates me. I'll eat my hat if Hall's is a Reading player this time next season.

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 27 Sep 2007 22:05

Royalwaster

Halls isn't a good championship player, he's an average one at best. It's why despite being sat in our reserves for more than 2 years no one has taken him of our hands. We would never turn a bid down for him, Coppell would think it unfair.

I may have been harsh on Halls, he did alright. It's the selection over Henry that frustrates me. I'll eat my hat if Hall's is a Reading player this time next season.

I seem to remember a rumour on here about a year ago that Derby wanted Halls on loan, Coppell was up for it but Halls said no.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 27 Sep 2007 22:39

im just wondering who has been more effective for Reading, Halls or Mass Sarr?

Difficult one

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Sep 2007 22:48

I have to say I was impressed by Halls' first Premiership game. Was there when it mattered and kept his cool for the goal too.

I look forward to him progressing.