What has happened to you all?

claretdave

What has happened to you all?

by claretdave » 29 Sep 2007 19:04

Saw you a couple of weeks ago, when you looked a shadow of last year's promising side,and now shipping seven against a mid-table side. Is the problem simply the failure to replace your best player or something more fundemental?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 29 Sep 2007 19:07

I think we just got bored of winning.

hybrid2005

by hybrid2005 » 29 Sep 2007 19:12

we thrive on a challenge :lol:

claretdave

by claretdave » 29 Sep 2007 19:12

URZZZZZZZZ I think we just got bored of winning.

Are you going to stick with Steve Coppell?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 29 Sep 2007 19:15

there is no alternative worth considering.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 29 Sep 2007 19:17

My main reasons would be:

Losing one of our best players - Sidwell.

Losing the heart of one our best players - Shorey.

Losing to injury two of our best players - Sonko & Little.

Not having any decent wingers - Hunt gives his all but lack Prem quality; we don't have anyone on the right. And given that almost all our goals last season came from wing-play ....

Losing our confidence - once you start losing things tend to go down-hill; look at West Ham last season; they had a very decent side, player for player, but still managed to look terrible.

Not having brought in any fresh faces that add anytbing to the team - Fae and Cisse have hardly featured. And when they have, they've looked like nothing much.

Still, on the positive side - looking at the table, there are several teams around us that look like they'll struggle as well; actually, there is now a good top half and bottom half. As long as we manage to get results against the bottom half, we might just survive. It's game like last week's Wigan and next week's against Derby that really count. Following on from that on the positive side, we've scored 8 goals in the last three games - having only scored 2 before that in was it 5 games? But on the negative side we've shipped 12 ....

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 29 Sep 2007 19:28

claretdave
URZZZZZZZZ I think we just got bored of winning.

Are you going to stick with Steve Coppell?

I hope so! That man deserves a knighthood for what he achieved here. Sadly though, we have some of the oxf*rd supporters around and they will soon be booing the team and Steve Coppell and Coppell will give up the ghost.

Fact: This club punched above its weight last season and is getting found out this season.

If we go down it isn't the end of the world, but it will be bloody frustrating because we could and should have invested in the team but instead we plan to increase the stadium.

I hope to God we stick with Steve Coppell.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Sep 2007 19:46

I agree we should stick with Coppell but he does need to change things now with Gunnarsson and Duberry in need of being dropped. I also hope that Convey if fit starts against Derby.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 29 Sep 2007 19:53

We are a shadow of our former selves, Reading have 5 key players to the way we play football.

Little, Sonko, Shorey, Sidwell & Doyle

Remove 2 & the heart/form of shorey then we struggle.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 29 Sep 2007 20:59

There is absolutely no one who could manage this team any better, Coppell has got this team to heights they should never have been able to reach. A bit of reality is setting in now as to what they are and what this club is. A club playing one divison above it's means really.

Every time we lose a game it's because team a has 'spent fortunes' Guys, we are in the PREMIER LEAGUE, it's what PREMIER LEAGUE TEAMS do.

We'll be bottom 5 or 6, next week already is a critical game for Reading. They responded last time v Wigan and they need to do it again.

towserSL2crew

Post Pompey

by towserSL2crew » 29 Sep 2007 21:14

:oops: Keep your chins up lads theres plenty time left for improvement,Sir Steve is the best man by far but I feel he may be showing too much loyalty to some non performers ie Murts , Gunnardson and today Ingar , all 3 were shocking today. Put Rosenior at right back coz he looks gud but lost where he is playing and Fae in for Bryn, then pray that Sonks comes back soon. We ll be alright.....Keep singing.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Post Pompey

by Archie's penalty » 30 Sep 2007 01:41

towserSL2crew :oops: Keep your chins up lads theres plenty time left for improvement,Sir Steve is the best man by far but I feel he may be showing too much loyalty to some non performers ie Murts , Gunnardson and today Ingar , all 3 were shocking today. Put Rosenior at right back coz he looks gud but lost where he is playing and Fae in for Bryn, then pray that Sonks comes back soon. We ll be alright.....Keep singing.

I agree newbie (oh and f*ck off)

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: What has happened to you all?

by Royalee » 30 Sep 2007 10:29

claretdave Saw you a couple of weeks ago, when you looked a shadow of last year's promising side,and now shipping seven against a mid-table side. Is the problem simply the failure to replace your best player or something more fundemental?

The problem is that we've replaced the spine of our team in Sonko and Sidwell with utter shit.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 30 Sep 2007 12:05

I disagree strongly about Coppell. He's has done amazing with this club, when things are going well he's the best manager on the planet. But when things are bad, just look at the season before we got promoted and ask yourself, is Coppell gonna get us out of this? If so, why?

Coppell will get till Jan. If things are still this bad and there is no sign that they won't be, The Chairman, who cannot afford to be relegated, rightly or wrongly will swing the axe.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Sep 2007 12:08

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I disagree strongly about Coppell. He's has done amazing with this club, when things are going well he's the best manager on the planet. But when things are bad, just look at the season before we got promoted and ask yourself, is Coppell gonna get us out of this? If so, why?

Coppell will get till Jan. If things are still this bad and there is no sign that they won't be, The Chairman, who cannot afford to be relegated, rightly or wrongly will swing the axe.

I would be surprised if SC was sacked...besides who is available to take his place and try and bring in players good enough within a very tight and limited wage structure?

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 30 Sep 2007 12:10

I very much doubt our Chairman would sack Coppell in January should we still be dire. It would achieve absolutely nothing.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 30 Sep 2007 12:12

PEARCEY
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I disagree strongly about Coppell. He's has done amazing with this club, when things are going well he's the best manager on the planet. But when things are bad, just look at the season before we got promoted and ask yourself, is Coppell gonna get us out of this? If so, why?

I would be surprised if SC was sacked...besides who is available to take his place and try and bring in players good enough within a very tight and limited wage structure?

The Chairman will want to spend all the money he can in Jan. He'll lose an unbelievable amount of money if we go down.

It's not just about bringing players in, can Coppell motivate them when things are bad? The season before we got promoted he didn't have a clue what to do and we didn't even make the play offs when we'd looked certs for automatics in Jan. It wasn't until Hammond and the board put their foot down and restructured in the summer that things improved.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 30 Sep 2007 12:13

Fat Leather Jacket I very much doubt our Chairman would sack Coppell in January should we still be dire. It would achieve absolutely nothing.

How much money does he stand to lose if we go down? A panicking chairman is a very dangerous beast.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Sep 2007 12:17

PEARCEY

The Chairman will want to spend all the money he can in Jan. He'll lose an unbelievable amount of money if we go down.

It's not just about bringing players in, can Coppell motivate them when things are bad? The season before we got promoted he didn't have a clue what to do and we didn't even make the play offs when we'd looked certs for automatics in Jan. It wasn't until Hammond and the board put their foot down and restructured in the summer that things improved.

I agree that JM will lose a lot of money if we go down but I feel you are being unduly harsh on SC. Yes we were poor in the second half of the season two years ago but every manager is entitled to have a bad run at some stages.
SC is more than capable of keeping us up and I cannot agree with you about the money side of things. As far as I can read it JM wants wages kept within strict parameters.

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 30 Sep 2007 12:18

A new Manager would still have the problem of attracting players to the club. We couldnt get the players we wanted in the summer before a ball had been kicked - and that was after we finished 8th.

Come to Reading, we're struggling but we'll give you 50k a week.