Penalties

Branfoot Out

Penalties

by Branfoot Out » 30 Sep 2007 10:05

Anyone know the stats on who's scored and missed over the last few seasons (from 2005/6 onwards)? I can recall Lita missing two, Kitson two (maybe more?), Doyle three (inc pre-season), and Little one, but I'd be interested in the overall picture. I guess we must have missed way more than we've scored..

by 1960 » 30 Sep 2007 11:41

And after Shorey's gentle lob into James's hands, didn't Muntari show him how to take a penalty?

As we are talking stats, what about any we have saved as well as the number we have missed? Very few, if any, I would say.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 30 Sep 2007 12:01

you cant blame shoreyf or trying to boost his confidence, he pretty low atm

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 30 Sep 2007 12:09

willz_royal you cant blame shoreyf or trying to boost his confidence, he pretty low atm

I read somewhere that Reading don't have a set penalty taker, Whoever feels confident takes it. Tell me why did Shorey take it? .. His confidence is really low, its not hard to notice.

Kitson had already scored, His confidence must have been higher .. Why not him?

Sort it out!

We're becoming worse than England

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 30 Sep 2007 12:31

Kitson to be quite honest would have buried it.

Kitson needs to take every penalty when he is on the pitch , confidence or not.

Pele_Kitson

by Pele_Kitson » 30 Sep 2007 12:45

KItson has missed penalties in the past. Sheff utd & Millwall away

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 30 Sep 2007 12:49

Pele_Kitson KItson has missed penalties in the past. Sheff utd & Millwall away

Still our best penalty taker. TBH the penalty at Sheffield was very well saved. I can't remember the Millwall away penalty however.

Pele_Kitson

by Pele_Kitson » 30 Sep 2007 12:52

Readingfanman
Pele_Kitson KItson has missed penalties in the past. Sheff utd & Millwall away

Still our best penalty taker. TBH the penalty at Sheffield was very well saved. I can't remember the Millwall away penalty however.

True and surely he must be the most confident at the moment, so it does seem strange he isn't taking them.

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 30 Sep 2007 13:10

Perhaps Shorey has been taking penalties againt James during England training and thought he knew how to beat him.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 30 Sep 2007 13:23

I was penalty taker for my team when i played footy a few years ago. It's all about making the keeper go the wrong way. What Shorey did wrong was he looked straight at the place he was gonna put the ball...and James saw that and saved it. If he just faked him and shot the opposite side he would have scored.

NTRoyal

by NTRoyal » 30 Sep 2007 13:29

crossie I was penalty taker for my team when i played footy a few years ago. It's all about making the keeper go the wrong way. What Shorey did wrong was he looked straight at the place he was gonna put the ball...and James saw that and saved it. If he just faked him and shot the opposite side he would have scored.

It has nothing to do with the keeper, from 12 yards any pro footballer should be able to pass the ball (and it is a pass!) into either the bottom corner, or get it higher than five foot, and 2 feet in from the post and you have a goal.
Granted there is extra pressure for a pen, but it should still be academic.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 30 Sep 2007 13:36

NTRoyal
crossie I was penalty taker for my team when i played footy a few years ago. It's all about making the keeper go the wrong way. What Shorey did wrong was he looked straight at the place he was gonna put the ball...and James saw that and saved it. If he just faked him and shot the opposite side he would have scored.

It has nothing to do with the keeper, from 12 yards any pro footballer should be able to pass the ball (and it is a pass!) into either the bottom corner, or get it higher than five foot, and 2 feet in from the post and you have a goal.
Granted there is extra pressure for a pen, but it should still be academic.

But the keepers always look at your eyes. That's how they choose which way to dive. So it's worth looking one way (or no particualr way) and hitting it in the other direction.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 30 Sep 2007 13:36

why isn't kitson taking them?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 30 Sep 2007 14:05

rg6royal why isn't kitson taking them?

Because Kitson is SH*T at taking pens.

In the last few years i've seen ONE penalty that was unsaveable and beautifully struck.....Murty's. Maybehe is the only player with the bottle to both place and power a pen. Kits/Doyle/Lita just hit the ball randomly towards the goal and just hope the keepers either dives the wrong way or out of the way.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 30 Sep 2007 14:06

John Madejski's Wallet
rg6royal why isn't kitson taking them?

Because Kitson is SH*T at taking pens.

In the last few years i've seen ONE penalty that was unsaveable and beautifully struck.....Murty's. Maybehe is the only player with the bottle to both place and power a pen. Kits/Doyle/Lita just hit the ball randomly towards the goal and just hope the keepers either dives the wrong way or out of the way.

AGREED.

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 30 Sep 2007 16:00

This is rubbish. Full-backs shouldn't be taking penalties (when they miss they're out of position for one thing). Strikers should be taking them on the basis that, of the whole team, they should be the ones with the best shot. Oh, hang on....

melksham_royal

by melksham_royal » 30 Sep 2007 16:13

I'm pretty pissed off tbh that at a critical point of the match yesterday, reading became a casualty of shorey's efforts to higher his profile all because he wants out. the guy never takes our pens and suddenly he's stepping up for it, not the best decision on behalf of the team. he's been playing for himself and not the team since the start of the season.

i feel we need to nominate a penalty taker and they take the pens no matter what, not just whoever's feeling up for it

woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 30 Sep 2007 16:40

melsham royal said
he's been playing for himself and not the team since the start of the season.

I don't think that's a fair appraisal of Shorey's game; you would then have say that for the rest of the other players, especially if you were at west ham match ! As Coppell says on the OS, there is a problem, which they need to address.......and part of that is having somebody who can score from the penalty spot. It wasnt easy listening to the game(Radio 5 live) going down the A48 to Chepstow yesterday afternoon when you hear that we had a penalty and then go and miss it !!! Enough to cause an accident ! IMHO, the one who takes the penalty should be the one who in the manager's opinion is showing the best form - eg Kitson or Harper. If the other player's don't like the manager's decision, then they need to raise their game.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 Sep 2007 16:47

melksham_royal reading became a casualty of shorey's efforts to higher his profile all because he wants out

What makes you think "he wants out"?

melksham_royal

by melksham_royal » 30 Sep 2007 17:02

bobby1413
melksham_royal reading became a casualty of shorey's efforts to higher his profile all because he wants out

What makes you think "he wants out"?

I think it's been evident in every game he's played that since the bid for him by west ham in the summer he isn't playing with the same passion for the club as he did last season. certain interviews throughout the summer after he had rejected a new contract, full of cliched responses such as 'we'll see what happens' and to quote from a BBC Sport interview 'It would be daft for a player to say where they will be next year' indicates he is wanting to go