Penalties

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 30 Sep 2007 17:04

Shorey might just want to consider that unless he raises his game, West Ham might no longer be interested in him anyway!

eaststandbird

by eaststandbird » 30 Sep 2007 17:55

I think Convey shouldtake penalties (when fit).

He can strike a ball and why not?

Kitson should have taken the pen or even Doyle.

woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 30 Sep 2007 18:44

Royal Lady said
Shorey might just want to consider that unless he raises his game, West Ham might no longer be interested in him anyway!

Let's hope so, let's hope so !!!! :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Sep 2007 18:56

crossie
NTRoyal
crossie I was penalty taker for my team when i played footy a few years ago. It's all about making the keeper go the wrong way. What Shorey did wrong was he looked straight at the place he was gonna put the ball...and James saw that and saved it. If he just faked him and shot the opposite side he would have scored.

It has nothing to do with the keeper, from 12 yards any pro footballer should be able to pass the ball (and it is a pass!) into either the bottom corner, or get it higher than five foot, and 2 feet in from the post and you have a goal.
Granted there is extra pressure for a pen, but it should still be academic.

But the keepers always look at your eyes. That's how they choose which way to dive. So it's worth looking one way (or no particualr way) and hitting it in the other direction.

Keepers don't only look at eyes, they also look at stance and run up. Shorey gave so many clues with all three that he might as well have stood and pointed where he was going to put it.

Given the way that Murty kept his cool for his one penalty, despite the opposition doing everything they could to put him off, I reckon he could be one of our best options.

Billy The Fish This is rubbish. Full-backs shouldn't be taking penalties (when they miss they're out of position for one thing). Strikers should be taking them on the basis that, of the whole team, they should be the ones with the best shot. Oh, hang on....

That is also rubbish. What's the problem with another player covering them at the back - particularly when we have a second right back in the team anyway?!

What about centre backs going up for corners? Don't they tend to get themselves out of position?!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Sep 2007 19:20

PENALTIES have got kitson written all over. Sure he use to take them and did ok plus he s scoring fine so has plenty of confidence!!

doyleisaroyal

by doyleisaroyal » 30 Sep 2007 20:03

Adz1871 I read somewhere that Reading don't have a set penalty taker, Whoever feels confident takes it.

That is shocking, hasn't anyone in the Reading management team ever watched England in a tournament shootout. Sort it out this is BEFORE you get on the pitch, this is basic stuff, gotta be Kitson ffs.

Clearly this philosophy has spread to other areas this season. Whoever feels like defending today...whoever fancies putting in a few tackles today....whoever fancies doing a bit of marking today...etc...

Only 6 weeks ago we were a wall of 11 and then a wall of 10 at Man U, now we need to change our sponsor to Thames Water as we have more leaks they f*cking do.

Personally I have always wanted to see Superman take a pen, the stage is set for his return and a new role for Sonko, it cannot come too soon.

Reading 'til I die (which will probably be when I see next season's fixtures)........

Dawn

by Dawn » 01 Oct 2007 09:11

Murty said on BBCRB this morning that Kevin Dillon had nominated Shorey as penalty taker.

RoyalMatt

by RoyalMatt » 01 Oct 2007 09:24

IIRC Doyle had the ball in his hands and Shorey walked up and took the ball off him. Shorey clearly felt confident before the pen so I have no problem with him taking it. I agree that we as fans think Kitson might be better but it's all about who can handle the pressure best when taking penalties. All 11 players out there can kick a ball into the corner of the goal from 12 yards, but not everyone can do it under pressure (although they should be able to for the amount of money they get paid!!!)

I hate taking penalties for my team but would say I can pass a ball 12 yards to another player with no problem at all! I'm just rubbish under pressure!

Dawn

by Dawn » 01 Oct 2007 09:33

RoyalMatt IIRC Doyle had the ball in his hands and Shorey walked up and took the ball off him. Shorey clearly felt confident before the pen so I have no problem with him taking it. I agree that we as fans think Kitson might be better but it's all about who can handle the pressure best when taking penalties. All 11 players out there can kick a ball into the corner of the goal from 12 yards, but not everyone can do it under pressure (although they should be able to for the amount of money they get paid!!!)

I hate taking penalties for my team but would say I can pass a ball 12 yards to another player with no problem at all! I'm just rubbish under pressure!

I think it was Hunt who was trying to take the penalty, he definitely had hold of the ball and placed it on the spot before Shorey came over.