Coppell loses it

103 posts
rotherwick_royal

Coppell loses it

by rotherwick_royal » 01 Oct 2007 08:45

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 02,00.html

Reading manager Steve Coppell admits he is 'fed up' of talking about second-season syndrome.

Coppell's side enjoyed a stunning debut campaign in the Premier League last term, but have won just two of their opening eight matches in the new season.

The Royals boss is aware he will be judged on results, but, following Saturday's remarkable 7-4 defeat at Portsmouth, Coppell let rip.

"I've had 17 million questions about second-season syndrome," Coppell told reporters. "I'm fed up with the f****** thing. Shove it up where ever.

"It's just f****** hard whether it's the first season, second season or third season.

Obviously feeling the pressure big time.

At least he won't be the next England manager :lol:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 01 Oct 2007 08:49

Looks like a fairly restrained response to another repetitive and unimaginative question from a hack to me.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 01 Oct 2007 09:19

The Times

[quote]Afterwards, though, Steve Coppell, the Reading manager, still seemed to be stuck in a bad dream as he attempted to make sense of what he had witnessed on Saturday. In fairness, no one else had been able to explain how two sets of experienced defenders, including three recent members of the England squad, had conceded 11 goals between them – a Premier League record - and it could have been more. Coppell not only has to explain it to himself and his chairman, but also to do something about it.

“It’s a job, it’s a process,â€

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 01 Oct 2007 09:22

[quote="That Friday Feeling"]The Times

[quote]Afterwards, though, Steve Coppell, the Reading manager, still seemed to be stuck in a bad dream as he attempted to make sense of what he had witnessed on Saturday. In fairness, no one else had been able to explain how two sets of experienced defenders, including three recent members of the England squad, had conceded 11 goals between them – a Premier League record - and it could have been more. Coppell not only has to explain it to himself and his chairman, but also to do something about it.

“It’s a job, it’s a process,â€

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 01 Oct 2007 09:25

Not news though is it ?

I'm fairly sure Coppell has said this several times - he had the money if he needed it but opted not to.
Doesn;t mean he didn;t go for players, i guess the comment doesn't distinguish between him just sitting back and not making any enquiries and him going after players but deciding that the prices were crazy and wages worse so he'd stick with more or less what he had.

In fact given comments made by other members of staff I would think the latter scenario applies - the players they wanted were just not value for money in their views. Time will tell !

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 01 Oct 2007 09:28

Behindu Not news though is it ?

I'm fairly sure Coppell has said this several times - he had the money if he needed it but opted not to.
Doesn;t mean he didn;t go for players, i guess the comment doesn't distinguish between him just sitting back and not making any enquiries and him going after players but deciding that the prices were crazy and wages worse so he'd stick with more or less what he had.

In fact given comments made by other members of staff I would think the latter scenario applies - the players they wanted were just not value for money in their views. Time will tell !

Its the first time I've seen him say it explicitly, to be honest.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 01 Oct 2007 09:30

I couldn;t provide links to where he's said it before (I'm not the sort who retains every quote in a databank !), but I'm certain that the comment has been made before at least once that there was no issue with funds being available, it was a decision not to spend it.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 01 Oct 2007 09:37

He said it after the loss against Bolton and the loss against West Ham, it's not anything new.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Oct 2007 09:42

Coppell made a decision and thats fine.........

He made a judgement, maybe we will pay the price for that judgement for a few months but then in January he will make another judgement.

I am glad we have Coppell making these decisions. He gets more right than most and I would rather have Coppell in charge than any other manager.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Oct 2007 09:58

Top Flight Coppell made a decision and thats fine.........

He made a judgement, maybe we will pay the price for that judgement for a few months but then in January he will make another judgement.

I am glad we have Coppell making these decisions. He gets more right than most and I would rather have Coppell in charge than any other manager.

Agree 100%

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 01 Oct 2007 10:06

So are we suffering from second season syndrome then?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 01 Oct 2007 10:09

Uke So are we suffering from second season syndrome then?

Steve Coppell Yes

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 01 Oct 2007 10:10

Hobnob's masses But it doesn't exist!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Oct 2007 10:12

Coppell's decisions in the close season and up to the transfer window closing have proven to be wrong as they have left us with a squad struggling to compete at this level. I suspect January will be too late to rectify the problems as, if you struggle to attract player pre season afetr you've just finished eight, it will be twice as hard when you're half way through a season and staring relegation in the face.

That said, Coppell has vast quantities in the plus account and I would still want him to be our manager long into the future.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 01 Oct 2007 10:14

Top Flight Coppell made a decision and thats fine.........

Well said.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Oct 2007 10:16

Coppell Says:

"Your life is determined by results. If you win, it's a lively world. If you lose, it's your fault. Everyone is judged on results.

"If we lose, I'll be judged poorly, disparagingly and if I don't do something about it, things will happen.

"It's not a question of feeling under threat, but a manager is judged on results. If you don't get results, you're not a manager for long."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coppell has possibly made one poor judgement but because of transfer windows and the way the transfer market is structured, he can't rectify that judgement until January.

If Coppell couldn't see for himself that there was a need to take action in the up coming transfer window then maybe there would be a need for supporters to shout their mouths off and critisize on HNA.

But Coppell knows himself that action needs to be taken and he will take action when he is legally permitted according to the rules and regulations of the Fifa transfer market.

Its time to stop critisizing Coppell's decision not to invest and let him get on with sorting our team out. The next opportunity he gets to invest he will invest.

Coppell is an incredibly shrewd and clever operator. Even the best people make mistakes along the way. The stupid people don't admit to them and carry on failing.

The clever people like Coppell admits that he needed to invest more. The first part of solving a problem is to admit that there is a problem. Coppell has done that. He has admitted it. He is such an honest and honorable man.

We KNOW he KNOWS that there is a problem.

He can only act on the problem when the situation allows in January.

Time to lay off him, and not cover the same issues every week. Time to support Coppell and support the team and let him work it out when he is able to.

The one thing that Coppell deserves after all his success with Reading is time. He has earned time to sort out the teams vulnerabilities. He is not a rubbish manager. He is the best manager the club has ever had.

There is no other manager out there who can do the job that Coppell has done with the same resources. Coppell is the best equipped manager in terms of experience and ability to address the teams issues.

We must have complete faith in the Sir Steve the master.

Fans who panic now are very stupid.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 01 Oct 2007 10:20

It would be interesting to know if the club are pursuing any options to get players in before the window.
It's possible to do, and there will be lots of players out there that we COULD sign.
Whether they are the right players would be a huge question (and I'd be surprised if they were !) but would just be interesting to know if it's being looked at....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2007 10:21

isnt there usually a list of free agents published somewhere?
must be someone on there we could do with

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Oct 2007 10:22

Schards#2 Coppell's decisions in the close season and up to the transfer window closing have proven to be wrong as they have left us with a squad struggling to compete at this level. I suspect January will be too late to rectify the problems as, if you struggle to attract player pre season afetr you've just finished eight, it will be twice as hard when you're half way through a season and staring relegation in the face.

That said, Coppell has vast quantities in the plus account and I would still want him to be our manager long into the future.

Pretty much agree with all of that.

The saving grace is that in Derby, Bolton, 'Boro, Fulham, Sunderland, Wigan and Birmingham there are enough teams in and around us who I can't see getting many more points than us.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Oct 2007 10:23

Coppell has said a few times now that he will strengthen in January.

Its being looked at....... Don't worry!

Unfortunately such is the way football transfers are now organised that Coppell can't react to the teams problems until January.

This is why the transfer windows suck.

People end up hammering Coppell.

He knows he made a mistake and he knows he needs to sort it. He can't sort it now until January.

He will get it right though in the end. He always does!

103 posts