Coppell loses it

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2007 16:00

Schards#2 Coppell's decisions in the close season and up to the transfer window closing have proven to be wrong as they have left us with a squad struggling to compete at this level. I suspect January will be too late to rectify the problems as, if you struggle to attract player pre season afetr you've just finished eight, it will be twice as hard when you're half way through a season and staring relegation in the face.

That said, Coppell has vast quantities in the plus account and I would still want him to be our manager long into the future.

Agree wholeheartedly with the last sentence.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Oct 2007 16:06

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe We'll take whatever we can get. Which with where we are and what we pay won't be much.

You can't defend Coppell this summer, by saying people are using hindsight to say we should have strengthened in the summer. It was blatantly obvious we needed to be doing more and there were enough people arguing that exact case on this board.

In fact the same people who argued the squad didn't need strengthening are the same people acussing everyone of panicking now.

Coppell was fully justified with his transfer policy this summer.

After last seasons heroics, he was fully justified to believe that the current squad would be good enough to repeat those performances this season!

He also signed two central midfielders to replace the outgoing Sidwell.

I think Coppell was completely logical and justified to make the decision that he did.

Its so easy to critisize like idiots 8 games into the season with the benefit of hindsight!

Coppell realises now that the squad needs to be strengthened. He has admitted that and has stated that he will do something about it. He can't do anything until January though.

So what is the point in so many people keep on stating that we need to strengthen......

It is BLATANTLY OBVIOUS TO EVERYONE INCLUDING THE GAFFER.....

Coppell is still getting the best out of his players. But we have a couple of weak points in the side. Coppell knows what those weak points are and he will rectify it if he can in January. So let the man do his job.

As long as the players are motivated 100% to play for Coppell then he is doing a fantastic job as far as I'm concerned!

So many people repeating the same sh*t that everyone knows!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Oct 2007 16:29

PieEater
Behindu Or loan players
Or overseas players looking to get a foot into the Prem
Or players not getting a game at their current clubs.

But still probably either, overpaid, ageing or unproven.
I'm somewhat inclined to agree. There will be players available at a price, but it's quite a rare player who can slot in and make a season-changing difference in the Premiership, never mind finding two or three. Also, some managers have the knack of getting a newcomer to make an instant difference - Harry Redknapp, for example - but I'm not sure Coppell is one of those. He always introduces new blood gradually.

The long and the short of it is we need the Coppell magic (and the Downes magic) to work with what we've got. We need to find a formula and get the players to have faith in it.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 01 Oct 2007 17:19

Behindu
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe . It was blatantly obvious we needed to be doing more and there were enough people arguing that exact case on this board.

LOL !

You can find people on hear arguing every mad cap idea - suggesting that because people ON HNA said something it must be true is not a strong arguement ....

I'd say that it was usually quite rational posters saying it in a more than constructive manner.

But its OK. Bryn will cover.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Oct 2007 17:29

Top Flight Coppell has said a few times now that he will strengthen in January.

Its being looked at....... Don't worry!

Unfortunately such is the way football transfers are now organised that Coppell can't react to the teams problems until January.

This is why the transfer windows suck.

People end up hammering Coppell.

He knows he made a mistake and he knows he needs to sort it. He can't sort it now until January.

He will get it right though in the end. He always does!

Spot on.

I think whenever there's a thread running with many pages all I need to do is scroll through, find your post and second it.

bassavage

by bassavage » 01 Oct 2007 17:31

brendywendy isnt there usually a list of free agents published somewhere?
must be someone on there we could do with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:U ... ootballers

Look at how many clubs Dean Gordon has had in the last few years :shock:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2007 17:36

bassavage
brendywendy isnt there usually a list of free agents published somewhere?
must be someone on there we could do with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:U ... ootballers

Look at how many clubs Dean Gordon has had in the last few years :shock:

ive heard that carl asaba is quite handy too.....

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 01 Oct 2007 17:42

bassavage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Unattached_footballers

Woohoo, Matt Jansen, Seth Johnson, Didier Agathe and Ray Parlour... get in!

:roll:

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

by windjammer » 01 Oct 2007 17:55

Schards#2 Coppell's decisions in the close season and up to the transfer window closing have proven to be wrong as they have left us with a squad struggling to compete at this level. I suspect January will be too late to rectify the problems as, if you struggle to attract player pre season afetr you've just finished eight, it will be twice as hard when you're half way through a season and staring relegation in the face.

That said, Coppell has vast quantities in the plus account and I would still want him to be our manager long into the future.

I think that if, god forbid, we did get relegated Coppell would leave of his own accord, JM wouldn't have to sack him, Coppell's own pride would make him resign.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 01 Oct 2007 18:08

Uke So are we suffering from second season syndrome then?

there is no such thing.....according to STATS (would be useful if someone could post them) most promoted teams go down the first year, only 4 teams in prem histiry have gone down in the 2nd.

STATS don't lie (unless they are made up!!), media hacks do.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Oct 2007 18:23

Unfortunately such is the way football transfers are now organised that Coppell can't react to the teams problems until January.

He knows he made a mistake and he knows he needs to sort it. He can't sort it now until January.

But was the 'mistake' forced upon him?

It's all very well there supposedly being £20M to spend on transfer fees but if the board are still insisting that the wage structure remains in place and the wages paid under that structure are very low in Premiership terms, then it is going to be exceedingly difficult to spend the money on transfer fees, as players commanding those sort of transfer fees will not want to be paid peanuts.

Only if the wage structure is addressed and made competitive in Premiership terms will Sir Steve be able to fix the problem in January.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Oct 2007 18:34

RoyalBlue

It's all very well there supposedly being £20M to spend on transfer fees but if the board are still insisting that the wage structure remains in place and the wages paid under that structure are very low in Premiership terms, then it is going to be exceedingly difficult to spend the money on transfer fees, as players commanding those sort of transfer fees will not want to be paid peanuts.

Only if the wage structure is addressed and made competitive in Premiership terms will Sir Steve be able to fix the problem in January.

Spot on Royal Blue....But do we know who controls the wage structure? JM, NH or SC????

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 01 Oct 2007 19:19

PEARCEY
RoyalBlue

Spot on Royal Blue....But do we know who controls the wage structure? JM, NH or SC????

How do people know what our wage structure is? Find me a quote where Coppell or Hammond say yes money is there for transfers but not wages. Their not stupid, Coppell's not been tricked into thinking that he's got money to spend, but there's nothing for wages. Plus I know I bang on about it, but why would the Chairman be tight with wages, when it could cost him £100m this summer?

As for Coppell being justified with his actions in the transfer market. We lost Sid, Little and essentially Shorey this summer, none of whom we're replaced with players of similar quality, in fact Little hasn't been replaced at all and we sold Seol on top of it. It's no surprise a midfield of hunt,harps,bryn and rosenior is struggling. It's no surprise it's gonna take a seasons for Fae and Cisse to fit it. You say he'll sort it out in Jan, we will not be able to get the players we could have had in the summer come January. There's no justifying losing your two best mid fielders and not replacing them, with players that'll come in a do a job to a similar standard right away, which is what we needed. I'm sure given time Fae and maybe Cisse will be fine players for Reading, but players who need time to settle is not what we needed.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Oct 2007 19:26

PEARCEY
RoyalBlue

How do people know what our wage structure is? Find me a quote where Coppell or Hammond say yes money is there for transfers but not wages. Their not stupid, Coppell's not been tricked into thinking that he's got money to spend, but there's nothing for wages. Plus I know I bang on about it, but why would the Chairman be tight with wages, when it could cost him £100m this summer?

As for Coppell being justified with his actions in the transfer market. We lost Sid, Little and essentially Shorey this summer, none of whom we're replaced with players of similar quality, in fact Little hasn't been replaced at all and we sold Seol on top of it. It's no surprise a midfield of hunt,harps,bryn and rosenior is struggling. It's no surprise it's gonna take a seasons for Fae and Cisse to fit it. You say he'll sort it out in Jan, we will not be able to get the players we could have had in the summer come January. There's no justifying losing your two best mid fielders and not replacing them, with players that'll come in a do a job to a similar standard right away, which is what we needed. I'm sure given time Fae and maybe Cisse will be fine players for Reading, but players who need time to settle is not what we needed.

I think you and I have had this argument already. Neither of us know what the wage structure is but it clearly is not very high based on the figures bandied around re Sidwell.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Oct 2007 19:27

royalsteve
Uke So are we suffering from second season syndrome then?

there is no such thing.....according to STATS (would be useful if someone could post them) most promoted teams go down the first year, only 4 teams in prem histiry have gone down in the 2nd.

STATS don't lie (unless they are made up!!), media hacks do.

I'm sure papereyes will give you the real stats on how many teams have done worse in their second season than they did in their first.

It's a tough league. Doing well one season makes it very hard to do as well the next, it doesn't matter if thats season 1 to 2 or 9 to 10 etc etc but I'm sure the stats do show that a teams second season is usually worse than their first.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Oct 2007 19:34

Should any reporter from Sky or anywhere else question Sir Steve again on "second season syndrome" he could do no worse than give the oft-used phrase by Sharpy - DO ONE!

clauski

by clauski » 01 Oct 2007 19:53

He knows he shoudl have strengthened in the summer. He knows he now needs to. He knows he can't until January. So we now get on with it until then which is fine. Coppell is still the best man for the job, no doubt. But I do worry that he sounds very stressed by this - that is my concern just now, not so much the issues on the pitch.

fallen angel

by fallen angel » 01 Oct 2007 20:18

PEARCEY
RoyalBlue

Just how many more times do you want madman to bang on about overpaid footballers?He does nothing but moan about life in the Prem everytime hes interviewed.Its a case of thanks John ,Ive seen Reading against Barrow,Workington and Aldershot,Im grateful to you but now move on and let someone who lives in the real Prem world take over.Thats if we can sell the bloody club now.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Oct 2007 21:00

fallen angel
PEARCEY
RoyalBlue

Just how many more times do you want madman to bang on about overpaid footballers?He does nothing but moan about life in the Prem everytime hes interviewed.Its a case of thanks John ,Ive seen Reading against Barrow,Workington and Aldershot,Im grateful to you but now move on and let someone who lives in the real Prem world take over.Thats if we can sell the bloody club now.
Schizophrenia strikes HNA?

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 01 Oct 2007 21:15

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe We lost Sid, Little and essentially Shorey this summer

Shorey? Blimey where did he go?