Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5683 posts
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by Brogue » 24 Dec 2021 08:47

US businessman Chris Kirchner has withdrawn his bid to buy Championship club Derby County.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Dec 2021 08:52

Brogue Christmas come early for Bury

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chri ... udypj9YGwo

I’m sure that Bury having a Tory marginal seat has nothing to do with Gove’s decision.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 24 Dec 2021 08:56

Zip

I’m sure that Bury having a Tory marginal seat has nothing to do with Gove’s decision.

KPOGF etc etc

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Dec 2021 10:56

Zip

Cynical but true I reckon.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Dec 2021 11:24

Brogue US businessman Chris Kirchner has withdrawn his bid to buy Championship club Derby County.

Only because his bid was not as good as the other two and he wouldn't have become preferred bidder anyway.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2021 13:53

Zip

A department of Leveling Up? :lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Dec 2021 14:51

Sutekh
Zip

A department of Leveling Up? :lol:

I know!
Yeah Bury has two marginal seats as it happens. I’m sure that has nothing to do with the decision made.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Jan 2022 11:49

Can't think of a better thread to post this in - if anyone enjoys tales of football finance this book is a cracker.

How a once well-run club was allowed to decline and go out of existence in a a few short years due to the arrogance, ego and incompetence of its dodgy owners.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 13 Jan 2022 12:25

I've just seen that Mike Ashley wants to buy Derby and turn them into a super club :lol:

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 17 Jan 2022 00:18

Apparently Derby have until Feb 1st to prove they have the funds to finish the season or the FL will relegate them. They need to do some selling, quickly.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Jan 2022 18:04

Interesting stuff from Kieran Maguire on the Football Weekly podcast talking about Derby

The administrators are looking for around £65M for Derby, but the club don't own any property as it was all sold to Mel Morris so what the buyer would be getting for that are the players contracts, who are mostly on short term deals due to their financial mess so there is not a huge value in that, and entry into the 2nd tier of the football league, which is the thing that does have value as a buyer is getting a football club 1 step away from Premier League riches. If relegated that obviously changes somewhat.

They currently owe:

HMRC - £28M
MSD Holdings - £20M
Arsenal - £8M

The above 3 debts must be paid in full. They have another load of debts which needs settling at 25% of the value which then comes to around £4-£5M. If the debts are not fully settled as above when a new owner takes over, then Derby will get a 15 point deduction

They have been asked to show they have the funds to pay wages for the rest of the season, but because Wycombe & 'Boro both have court cases ongoing against Derby where they are both claiming millions in loss of earnings Derby are asking for the Feb 1st deadline to be extended.

Boro - for finishing 7th and missing out on play offs when Derby 'fiddled' their financial numbers
Wycombe - £6M claim based on diffo in Champ & L1 TV deal when Derby 'fiddled' their financial numbers

There is a precedent in place for loss of earnings to be paid due to the Shef Utd / Tevez case

The Administrators are expected to cost between £2M-£3M so that gets added to the bill too

Their job is to try and sell players to bring in some money short term but with 11 days left of the transfer window they have sold 1 player and that was to Wigan for £30k (I assume this means with a couple of days left of the window some teams will go in with very low offers)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 18:30

Winston Biscuit Interesting stuff from Kieran Maguire on the Football Weekly podcast talking about Derby

The administrators are looking for around £65M for Derby, but the club don't own any property as it was all sold to Mel Morris so what the buyer would be getting for that are the players contracts, who are mostly on short term deals due to their financial mess so there is not a huge value in that, and entry into the 2nd tier of the football league, which is the thing that does have value as a buyer is getting a football club 1 step away from Premier League riches. If relegated that obviously changes somewhat.

They currently owe:

HMRC - £28M
MSD Holdings - £20M
Arsenal - £8M

The above 3 debts must be paid in full. They have another load of debts which needs settling at 25% of the value which then comes to around £4-£5M. If the debts are not fully settled as above when a new owner takes over, then Derby will get a 15 point deduction

They have been asked to show they have the funds to pay wages for the rest of the season, but because Wycombe & 'Boro both have court cases ongoing against Derby where they are both claiming millions in loss of earnings Derby are asking for the Feb 1st deadline to be extended.

Boro - for finishing 7th and missing out on play offs when Derby 'fiddled' their financial numbers
Wycombe - £6M claim based on diffo in Champ & L1 TV deal when Derby 'fiddled' their financial numbers

There is a precedent in place for loss of earnings to be paid due to the Shef Utd / Tevez case

The Administrators are expected to cost between £2M-£3M so that gets added to the bill too

Their job is to try and sell players to bring in some money short term but with 11 days left of the transfer window they have sold 1 player and that was to Wigan for £30k (I assume this means with a couple of days left of the window some teams will go in with very low offers)

I guess they are trying to keep hold of as many of their better players for as long as they can.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Jan 2022 18:35

Zip
Winston Biscuit Interesting stuff from Kieran Maguire on the Football Weekly podcast talking about Derby

They currently owe:

HMRC - £28M
MSD Holdings - £20M
Arsenal - £8M

I guess they are trying to keep hold of as many of their better players for as long as they can.

They have apparently been rejecting bids for players this month. How does that work with an offer on the last day of the window when the EFL have confirmed that administrators are forecasting the club to run out of money in February?!

The 3 people interested in buying the club have all said they won't do anything until the 2 court cases are resolved. They are being heard separately by different judges. I wonder if 1 is successful and the other not, then the one that is not could appeal and drag this out even longer, no?!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 18:36

Winston Biscuit
Zip

They currently owe:

HMRC - £28M
MSD Holdings - £20M
Arsenal - £8M

They have apparently been rejecting bids for players this month. How does that work with an offer on the last day of the window when the EFL have confirmed that administrators are forecasting the club to run out of money in February?!

I don’t know and what happens if they sell a number of senior players and don’t have enough left to form a reasonable sized squad?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Jan 2022 18:38

Zip
Winston Biscuit
Zip

I don’t know and what happens if they sell a number of senior players and don’t have enough left to form a reasonable sized squad?

under 23's, under 18's, free agents. Should always be able to find 11 lads to kick a ball around

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Feb 2022 21:23

EFL statement:

On 27 January the EFL and Derby County’s Administrators, Quantuma, announced a four week extension to the deadline for the provision of evidence of sufficient funding to complete the current season.

The Administrators have not yet provided that evidence, and we await an urgent further update from them on both that and the announcement of a preferred bidder

Just looked on a Derby forum and they seem to think it's all about whether a new buyer is announced tomorrow or not

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Mar 2022 07:43

Long read on Derby's current situation

https://www.dcfcbawt.org/post/storm-clouds-gathering

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 21 Mar 2022 10:45

The way it's going at Derby, they'll be relegated and take points deductions into the third division. The gift that keeps on giving.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Mar 2022 12:14

Makes me wonder who the next club will be to fall into Derby's situation. Huddersfield I know have been struggling for cash since their owner put some of his businesses into administration although I don't know if they are in the process of a takeover or not.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Mar 2022 12:50

They currently owe:

HMRC - £28M
MSD Holdings - £20M
Arsenal - £8M

Sounds like they're actually better off than us. Don't we have much more debt and also no property/assets?

5683 posts