Weekend Football

6098 posts
BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Weekend Football

by BROB0T » 10 Apr 2022 17:14

LUX Brobot says he wants a draw in City v Liverpool.

Is that because:
A. he supports both of them. They’re brill, cannot decide who is more brill, or
B. A draw is a good result, both dropping two points leaves the Title open for United, or
C. Erm, Ian Royal, I guess

I want City to win. Anyone but Liverpool

I went to loads of City games as a kid in the late 80s. There was an older generation that would go to whoever was playing at home.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 10 Apr 2022 22:41

A draw keeps it interesting. Neither side can afford to drop any more points.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Apr 2022 10:46

A cracking game between the 2 sides way ahead of the rest.

Just thinking about how the two teams reflect the managers.
Pep's side a modern Barcelona, all style and swagger.
Klopp's side a Bayern Munich or a German national team, all power and determination.

With the squads that both clubs now already have ,and will of course be added to with possibly Haaland, Bellingham etc., do we now expect them to continue doing as they have for the past 4 years and gain so many more points than anybody else?

BTW I thought the myth about Walker being a better defender than other England options for that right-back spot was exposed yet again.
Regardless of Trent, Reece James is a better all-round player than Walker IMHO and obviously most of them are better than (I took a good free-kick once) Trippier.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Apr 2022 10:51

haven't both of them suggested that they won't be around for years and could walk away sooner rather than later?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Apr 2022 11:14

Winston Biscuit haven't both of them suggested that they won't be around for years and could walk away sooner rather than later?

I can't see Klopp leaving for a while. Of course he will get a lot of offers if he were to quit Liverpool but where would he get the same level of overall control? He is Liverpool and he is trusted 100%. He wouldn't get that at PSG, Real Madrid etc.

Pep I can see going if he wins the Champions League this season.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Apr 2022 11:21

Agree on Guardiola. If he can walk away from his own club at the height of success, then I am sure he can get the trophy he wants (or even not get it) and walk away from City. Hasn't he said he wants to manage the Brazilian national team?

Klopp seems to just love it. There are very few places he could get the set up and return he does at Liverpool. Maybe there are things that make these people tick that we would never see though.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Apr 2022 11:27

Winston Biscuit Agree on Guardiola. If he can walk away from his own club at the height of success, then I am sure he can get the trophy he wants (or even not get it) and walk away from City. Hasn't he said he wants to manage the Brazilian national team?

Klopp seems to just love it. There are very few places he could get the set up and return he does at Liverpool. Maybe there are things that make these people tick that we would never see though.

I think international football is the next step for Pep. Spain job could come up if they have a bad World Cup and the Brazil coach has already confirmed he is definitely leaving regardless following their World Cup campaign. Could see him getting a bit bored though, seems to thrive off of the daily interaction with players based upon the Man City Amazon documentary.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 11 Apr 2022 13:01

South Coast Royal A cracking game between the 2 sides way ahead of the rest.

Klopp's side a Bayern Munich or a German national team, all power and determination.

With the squads that both clubs now already have ,and will of course be added to with possibly Haaland, Bellingham etc., do we now expect them to continue doing as they have for the past 4 years and gain so many more points than anybody else?

BTW I thought the myth about Walker being a better defender than other England options for that right-back spot was exposed yet again.
Regardless of Trent, Reece James is a better all-round player than Walker IMHO and obviously most of them are better than (I took a good free-kick once) Trippier.

Walker is just extremely fast, without that he'd not be in the conversation.

Cancelo is really good. Trent just let Sterling(iirc) go for the second goal!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Apr 2022 15:26

South Coast Royal A cracking game between the 2 sides way ahead of the rest.

Each to their own and I get it’s a lot easier being said than done (also given the high intensity of the first 60 minutes) but was surprised at Liverpool’s approach in the last 30 minutes of the game, like for like changes, little in attack and almost playing for a draw towards the end

With the two respective fixture lists, I think Liverpool had to go for a bit more yesterday and was surprised Fabinho lasted the 90, was really poor

Was a great advert for the game though overall - can see why these two teams are clear of the rest. Ultimately Liverpool’s downfall this season if they don’t win the title is winning 0/4 games against the two teams around them (admittedly not losing any either)

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 11 Apr 2022 16:51

One thing I enjoyed about that game was the total lack of tippy-tappy possession football.

The whole thing was played at an incredible pace, with both team playing long attacking passes out to the wings and up the channels. Proper football :)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Apr 2022 17:17

URZZZZ
With the two respective fixture lists, I think Liverpool had to go for a bit more yesterday

On balance I think no. A win preferred, of course, but you'd take a seven-game shootout whoever City's opponents over the title race being effectively done in City's favour.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Apr 2022 18:02

Sanguine
URZZZZ
With the two respective fixture lists, I think Liverpool had to go for a bit more yesterday

On balance I think no. A win preferred, of course, but you'd take a seven-game shootout whoever City's opponents over the title race being effectively done in City's favour.

I do get that to an extent, certainly wouldn’t advocate them going gung-ho for the win given City’s quality and as you say, a City win would have all but ended the title race but thought they’d have gone for a little bit more

Football is a strange game of course and anything can happen, but I can’t see City dropping points in any of the following games:

Brighton (H)
Watford (H)
Newcastle (H)
Villa (H)
Leeds (A)
Which leaves Wolves and West Ham (both away) - two tough games admittedly but not to the same extent as Liverpool’s fixture list

Still, intrigued for a close race!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Apr 2022 18:03

John Madejski's Wallet One thing I enjoyed about that game was the total lack of tippy-tappy possession football.

The whole thing was played at an incredible pace, with both team playing long attacking passes out to the wings and up the channels. Proper football :)

Agreed but a lot of it is down to the how the other team sets up as well - both teams pressed up the pitch extremely high, forces the opposition to have a re-think

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Apr 2022 18:31

6 Brazilians played in the big match yesterday.

Long gone are the days of getting excited about a Brazilian being in the PL by way of Middlesbrough

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Apr 2022 20:00

I remember the media jizzfest when Mirandinha went to Newcastle and he wasn't even C list.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Apr 2022 22:48

Why does everyone call TA-A Trent?
Surely it’s Alexander-Arnold?

They don’t call Reece James, Reece or Andrew Roberson, Andrew?

It annoys me.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Apr 2022 08:00

leon Why does everyone call TA-A Trent?

It annoys me.

Try listening to some Portuguese or Spanish commentary.
Seem to only use first names, particularly the supposedly famous ones

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Apr 2022 08:58

It annoys me.

Because Trent is much shorter and easier to say than Alexander-Arnold.

That's also why I still use 'DD', and not 'Loafer'.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 12 Apr 2022 09:05

Sanguine

It annoys me.

Because Trent is much shorter and easier to say than Alexander-Arnold.

That's also why I still use 'DD', and not 'Loafer'.

yeah, Sangers is easier to spell/type

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 12 Apr 2022 10:40

It annoys me.

Its mainly Carragher doing it isn't it? Bugs me too.

6098 posts