6098 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by From Despair To Where? » 16 May 2024 10:04

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal
So have Liverpool always done but don't feel the need to shout about it.

Read my post again.

Have re-read-Liverpool have always done loads in the community but don't feel the need to adopt a self-proclaimed nonsense nomenclature.

I don't support either team I just go by my observations and experiences from living in the area for nearly a decade.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 May 2024 10:11

Winston Biscuit
Sanguine
Winston Biscuit Would it be going too far to say the 3 relegated teams from the PL this season are the 3 worst promoted sides (as a collective) we have seen so far?

Yep. And that's wholly by design. The system is oxf*rd. Two of the teams that narrowly escaped the drop only did so by breaking 'financial sustainability rules'. It's all screwed. An ESL is inevitable.

I would quite like the EFL to see this as an opportunity and start diverging away from PL decision making and try to keep the game as people have always liked it. I think a lot of football fans are becoming more and more disillusioned with the PL, and the PL clubs care less and less about the match going public and the home TV deal. EFL, along with the clubs, need to seize the opportunity and push themselves as the place to watch traditional and authentic football

Can't even get Championship sides to commit to an away ticket price cap.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 May 2024 10:32

From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?
Read my post again.

Have re-read-Liverpool have always done loads in the community but don't feel the need to adopt a self-proclaimed nonsense nomenclature.

I don't support either team I just go by my observations and experiences from living in the area for nearly a decade.

Newbie interloper. :wink:
My experience of the area spans over 60 years.
Wasn't it the late, great Bessie Braddock who said something about people of Liverpool always wanting to get away......and you have done the opposite.

BTW Everton were always the big spenders and thought to be the more glamorous of the two clubs but Liverpool's considerable success from the early 60s that has continued unabated has meant that their spending power has increased because of the revenue streams.

Meanwhile Everton fans have seemingly developed an inferiority complex (quite understandable and meant in a factual way rather than derogatory) leading to this false claim of being the people's club probably because of the appeal of Liverpool Fc worldwide and the many "plastics" that have attached themselves to the most successful British club of its time.

I mentioned big-spending Everton of the fantastic "Golden Vision" Alex Young (what a player) and then Alan Ball eras and fast-forward nearly 60 years and they have been spending again in such a way as the club is now in crisis.
I have close friends who are Everton fans (not many, just two) and for their sakes I wouldn't want Everton to sink any further as greater success and a challenge from them would only be good for the area.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 16 May 2024 18:32

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal

Wasn't it the late, great Bessie Braddock who said something about people of Liverpool always wanting to get away......and you have done the opposite.

BTW Everton were always the big spenders and thought to be the more glamorous of the two clubs but Liverpool's considerable success from the early 60s that has continued unabated has meant that their spending power has increased because of the revenue streams.

Meanwhile Everton fans have seemingly developed an inferiority complex (quite understandable and meant in a factual way rather than derogatory) leading to this false claim of being the people's club probably because of the appeal of Liverpool Fc worldwide and the many "plastics" that have attached themselves to the most successful British club of its time.

I mentioned big-spending Everton of the fantastic "Golden Vision" Alex Young (what a player) and then Alan Ball eras and fast-forward nearly 60 years and they have been spending again in such a way as the club is now in crisis.
I have close friends who are Everton fans (not many, just two) and for their sakes I wouldn't want Everton to sink any further as greater success and a challenge from them would only be good for the area.

When did you last live in Liverpool?

I moved down south from Manchester when I was ten.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 May 2024 19:28

BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?

If I'm honest, that's not my experience of Everton fans at all. They know Liverpool are the bigger and more successful club and they judge success very much on their own terms and, yes, they are proud of their club's engagement within the community. There's banter in the run up to the derby but they're not obsessed by Liverpool, not do they particularly covet what Liverpool have. In fact, in my experience, Liverpool fans are more obsessed with Everton than Everton fans are with Liverpool

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 16 May 2024 20:13

From Despair To Where?
BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal

If I'm honest, that's not my experience of Everton fans at all. They know Liverpool are the bigger and more successful club and they judge success very much on their own terms and, yes, they are proud of their club's engagement within the community. There's banter in the run up to the derby but they're not obsessed by Liverpool, not do they particularly covet what Liverpool have. In fact, in my experience, Liverpool fans are more obsessed with Everton than Everton fans are with Liverpool

if we can't test it maybe call it a draw

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 May 2024 22:14

As I said, I have no allegiance, just making neutral observations. It obviously means something to SCR so I'm happy to concede.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 May 2024 10:03

BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?

Never lived there.
Family live(d) (all Protestant Reds).

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 May 2024 10:10

From Despair To Where?
BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal

Perhaps you mix more with Everton fans.
In some ways Liverpool, by virtue of its success, has become a worldwide club but that doesn't mean that the people of Liverpool no longer support their local club, far from it.., even if it is seen as "belonging" to people far and wide.

I have no gripe with Everton or its fans although I detest that little runt Pickford for assaulting Van Dijk after the ball had gone , putting out for the season and Michael Oliver didn't even book him.
So I wish no ill on Everton Fc but plenty of ill on that twat.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 17 May 2024 10:18

got to ask, Vic:

Liverpool or RFC?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 May 2024 10:52

LUX got to ask, Vic:

Liverpool or RFC?

It is a long story that I took the trouble to post once on here before.

Because the two clubs were always in different divisions any question of split loyalty never arose but on the night of March 11th 1970 I had travelled down to Southampton for a job interview ,then living in Oxford with the in-laws.
That night Saints were at home to Liverpool and Reading were at home to Luton.
Which game to go to?

I went to the Reading game and worked out that night that Reading needed my support more and would always need it more and my children and grandchildren followed suit even though we lived in Southampton, Ringwood then Bournemouth.
Inevitably Liverpool won and Reading lost 1-0 which brought to an early end our promotion push with Luton going on to finish 2nd.
Fred Sharpe ( for younger posters who may have seen the name used by a poster on here, he was our centre-back) did a Steven Gerrard type slip that led to the only goal of the game.

Ever since, and especially when both teams played briefly at the same level, it has been Reading first although it was strange going in the Anfield Road end as an away supporter.
Having a strong interest in 2 clubs can help when one or the other is going through a bad time although in Liverpool's case it doesn't happen very often.

Incidentally I do have a passing interest in Rangers in Scotland as well, much in the way that many football fans like Barcelona or Real Madrid or perhaps Juve or AC Milan.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 17 May 2024 11:26

ok, thanks for the reply.

I guess for me it`s RFC...........................England, and then Metz.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 May 2024 11:55

South Coast Royal
LUX got to ask, Vic:

Liverpool or RFC?

It is a long story that I took the trouble to post once on here before.

Because the two clubs were always in different divisions any question of split loyalty never arose but on the night of March 11th 1970 I had travelled down to Southampton for a job interview ,then living in Oxford with the in-laws.
That night Saints were at home to Liverpool and Reading were at home to Luton.
Which game to go to?

I went to the Reading game and worked out that night that Reading needed my support more and would always need it more and my children and grandchildren followed suit even though we lived in Southampton, Ringwood then Bournemouth.
Inevitably Liverpool won and Reading lost 1-0 which brought to an early end our promotion push with Luton going on to finish 2nd.
Fred Sharpe ( for younger posters who may have seen the name used by a poster on here, he was our centre-back) did a Steven Gerrard type slip that led to the only goal of the game.

Ever since, and especially when both teams played briefly at the same level, it has been Reading first although it was strange going in the Anfield Road end as an away supporter.
Having a strong interest in 2 clubs can help when one or the other is going through a bad time although in Liverpool's case it doesn't happen very often.

Incidentally I do have a passing interest in Rangers in Scotland as well, much in the way that many football fans like Barcelona or Real Madrid or perhaps Juve or AC Milan.

Alloa Athletic & Inverness Caledonian

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 May 2024 12:02

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?
BRO_BOT

In some ways Liverpool, by virtue of its success, has become a worldwide club but that doesn't mean that the people of Liverpool no longer support their local club, far from it.., even if it is seen as "belonging" to people far and wide.

I have no gripe with Everton or its fans although I detest that little runt Pickford for assaulting Van Dijk after the ball had gone , putting out for the season and Michael Oliver didn't even book him.

Sigh, I wasn't talking local people supporting Liverpool, clearly they are in the majority by virtue of their success, and I know more Liverpool fans than Everton fans, I was talking about the clubs and their engagement with the local community over and above just being the local football club. Everton are miles ahead of Liverpool in that respect.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 May 2024 12:14

From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?

Sigh, I wasn't talking local people supporting Liverpool, clearly they are in the majority by virtue of their success, and I know more Liverpool fans than Everton fans, I was talking about the clubs and their engagement with the local community over and above just being the local football club. Everton are miles ahead of Liverpool in that respect.

We will agree to differ especially over your "miles ahead" comment.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 May 2024 12:23

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal

Everton have won loads of regional and national awards for their community outreach work. They are widely regarded as pretty much the best in England for it and I see the evidence of their community work every day.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 May 2024 12:25

From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?

Everton have won loads of regional and national awards for their community outreach work. They are widely regarded as pretty much the best in England for it.

Nearly every club does extensive community work over and above a few players making hospital visits, much of it going under the radar.

Perhaps the club should have spent more time focusing on the development of their players who have come at such enormous, crippling expense.
If ever a club was in turmoil, eh lad?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 May 2024 13:11

Lol. I'm hardly taking about hospital visits but you knew that.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 May 2024 14:31

From Despair To Where? Lol. I'm hardly taking about hospital visits but you knew that.

If I were a child I wouldn't want Pickford to come and visit me in Alder Hey. :wink:

BTW do catholic priests still get in free at Goodison?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 May 2024 11:49

If Arsenal and City both win today, Arsenal will have 89 points without winning the title, the 3rd highest total after Liverpool on 92 in 2022 and 97 in 2019. All 3 behind City, which shows how relentless they are.

Man Utd also got 89 in the "Aguerooooo!" season and Spurs got 86 when Chelsea won the league in 2017. All are relatively recent and show how many more points are needed to win the title these days.

At the other end, we could see 4 teams finish on fewer than 30 points, though admittedly Forest had 4 deducted. The days of 40 being the target seem long gone.

Definitely getting more stratified.

6098 posts