The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8722 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Stranded » 16 Jan 2024 09:31

Sanguine One of the greatest managers of all time, but he's arguably done very little for five or six years now. Wonder if he might go to China/Saudi.

Probably will go over there, I think some clubs tried already.

TBF to him he did deliver Roma their first trophy since 2008 (Europa Conference League), so his time there was successful to a degree.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Jan 2024 09:40

Stranded
Sanguine One of the greatest managers of all time, but he's arguably done very little for five or six years now. Wonder if he might go to China/Saudi.

Probably will go over there, I think some clubs tried already.

TBF to him he did deliver Roma their first trophy since 2008 (Europa Conference League), so his time there was successful to a degree.

from everything I have heard his real success there is the culture he brought in. Fans there saying they enjoy matchday now more than they have for many many years

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Jan 2024 10:05

Reading between the lines I imagine he asked asked for a January transfer budget and been told to fcuk off. Mourinho has form for this of course.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Jan 2024 11:52

NathStPaul

I can't remember which thread it was in but I said yesterday that I think he is a shoo-in for the Newcastle job this summer. I can see Eddie Howe being let go based upon their recent form, will be really hard for them to make Champions League.

They appear to be running the club pretty well as a long-term project, so I really can't see them undoing what is being built by bringing in Mr Toxic, who would probably have a positive impact for a few months but end up setting them back to a point where they have to start all over again.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jan 2024 13:02

Royal Rother
NathStPaul

I can't remember which thread it was in but I said yesterday that I think he is a shoo-in for the Newcastle job this summer. I can see Eddie Howe being let go based upon their recent form, will be really hard for them to make Champions League.

They appear to be running the club pretty well as a long-term project, so I really can't see them undoing what is being built by bringing in Mr Toxic, who would probably have a positive impact for a few months but end up setting them back to a point where they have to start all over again.

Must admit I don’t mind Mourinho’s pantomime act, certainly anywhere near to the level of Pep or Arteta etc but I agree that every tenure follows pretty much the exact same pattern:

OK first season domestically with usually a trophy sprinkled in or two
Strong second season
Shambles third season

Something like five red cards in just over a year or something. It may endear to the fans and show “passion” but from higher up, that’s really poor and I’m guessing one factor which has caused his dismissal

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jan 2024 10:47

I wonder if Troy Deeney's management career is over before it started after his outburst at the weekend. His defence is that he's too emotional, which is laughable. If you can't handle your emotions, don't take a managerial role that requires you to manage them.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jan 2024 10:54

WestYorksRoyal I wonder if Troy Deeney's management career is over before it started after his outburst at the weekend. His defence is that he's too emotional, which is laughable. If you can't handle your emotions, don't take a managerial role that requires you to manage them.

Who's going to tell Mourinho? :?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Jan 2024 11:51

Daniele De Rossi IN! at Roma

one of my fave 00's era euro footballers

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 17 Jan 2024 12:52

NathStPaul Reading between the lines I imagine he asked asked for a January transfer budget and been told to fcuk off. Mourinho has form for this of course.

I read an article somewhere that said that Mourinho had made something like £90M from all of his sackings.......... :shock:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Jan 2024 15:35

He has apparently openly said he wants to manage in Saudi at some point, so yeah maybe that is his next stop.

If he is looking for a struggling big European club in need of a hero, with a big fan base, and usually with a little money to spend? Lyon.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Jan 2024 07:57

Interesting article on the whys and wherefores of Mourinho's sacking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68005339

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 18 Jan 2024 12:42

Gerrard signing a 2-year extension at Al-Ettifaq. Not won any of their last nine games, sat in mid-table with less than half the points of league leaders Al-Hilal. :|

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Jan 2024 20:53

Troy Deeney sacked after 6 games :lol:

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Jan 2024 21:11

Winston Biscuit Troy Deeney sacked after 6 games :lol:

Will he get another job?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2024 21:14

That was never going to work was it? Thought he was far too good for little old Forest Green.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Jan 2024 22:40

I'm going to try to defend Deeney here, well, maybe not publicly calling out individuals, or getting a 4 match touchline ban but a lot of FGR fans are suggesting he's been sacked because he's touched a nerve in the board room with a few home truths and his appointment and sacking is symptomatic of Dale Vince being utterly clueless.

Don't think he thinks he's too good for FGR, more that he's turned up at a club that's a shambles top to bottom and is exasperated.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2024 11:49

From Despair To Where? I'm going to try to defend Deeney here, well, maybe not publicly calling out individuals, or getting a 4 match touchline ban but a lot of FGR fans are suggesting he's been sacked because he's touched a nerve in the board room with a few home truths and his appointment and sacking is symptomatic of Dale Vince being utterly clueless.

Don't think he thinks he's too good for FGR, more that he's turned up at a club that's a shambles top to bottom and is exasperated.

No doubt Reading will be in contact in the next few weeks then.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jan 2024 11:51

I do wonder if, considering he initially went to the club as player coach, he's looked at other players and thought "you're not fcuking trying". Suddenly he's the boss and is just expressing what he's seen. Obviously there's ways and means though.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Jan 2024 12:30

reckon he has got a touch of the Joey Barton's about him tbh. Going to be keeping an eye on the socials for his comments

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jan 2024 23:53

Winston Biscuit reckon he has got a touch of the Joey Barton's about him tbh. Going to be keeping an eye on the socials for his comments

Deeney's clearly got anger issues but I don't think he comes anywhere close to Barton in the uberpcunt stakes.

8722 posts