Players you'd like us to sign thread

741 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Players you'd like us to sign thread

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Jan 2019 13:06

Zip
Victor Meldrew I notice that Dan Burn is now back at Brighton after a loan spell at Wigan.

On the assumption that he is not injured and bearing in mind recent dealings between the clubs must mean that there is some connection -at about the same height as Jake Cooper he could be a useful asset for us with a presence in our box and at set-pieces in the opposition's.

It's all very well saying that Blackett has improved (not that much IMHO) and that Ilori is good in every other game but we need more than that.

I don’t know much about Burn. Is he better than what we currently have?

Yes IMHO.
Didn't rate him early on in his career but the last time I saw him (for Birmingham?) thought he was excellent.
If you know Flint of Middlesboro (ex-Bristol City) think of him but less muscular.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2019 13:43

Burn possibly an option. Don’t think he is great but might be ok alongside Moore

Sam Gallagher also a good shout

If we sold Ilori would be a wise move to reinvest than money on the best big lump CB we can find

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Jan 2019 18:58

We are near bottom of The Championsip, who do you think we are going to attract FFS?
Encouraging to read in today's paper Gomes saying that he wants 5 players.
Hopefully they won't all be little ball players from Portugal.

KentRoyal

by KentRoyal » 06 Jan 2019 20:13

Victor Meldrew We are near bottom of The Championsip, who do you think we are going to attract FFS?
Encouraging to read in today's paper Gomes saying that he wants 5 players.
Hopefully they won't all be little ball players from Portugal.

Pepe’s available :lol:

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 06 Jan 2019 20:30

Nelson Oliveira, proven goalscorer, on loan until end of season with view to permanent move should he prove his worth..maybe having a Portuguese manager could do the trick

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jan 2019 20:34

DOYLERSAROYALER Nelson Oliveira, proven goalscorer, on loan until end of season with view to permanent move should he prove his worth..maybe having a Portuguese manager could do the trick

That’s not a bad shout.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Jan 2019 20:39

Surprised no one has suggested him before. :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2019 21:25

He’s quite small isn’t he? I’m not sure he’d work to well in Gomes system, which I think is crying out for height in the CF role personally. Also not played for ages

Not sure I’d want him at the moment

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 08 Jan 2019 02:41

I feel crazy for suggesting this but Bojan on loan if the finances are right and his mental health is manageable. He just seems far too good on the Stoke bench. He’s had a good few spells in his career, initially at Stoke and Ajax I believe, and Gomes certainly would be able to get the best out of him.

I cannot see it happening purely because the prospect of him signing for little old Reading sounds bizarre to say the least.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Jan 2019 08:37

TiagoIlori ...and Gomes certainly would be able to get the best out of him.

Would he? On what evidence?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 08 Jan 2019 22:34

Hoop Blah
TiagoIlori ...and Gomes certainly would be able to get the best out of him.

Would he? On what evidence?

The technical type that possession football requires, decent end product. At the time of my comment, he is much better suited than dinosaur football Rowett got his stoke side playing(I am aware he has since been sacked and we’ll have to see if stoke continue with their trend of experienced British managers)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jan 2019 11:14

TiagoIlori The technical type that possession football requires, decent end product. At the time of my comment, he is much better suited than dinosaur football Rowett got his stoke side playing(I am aware he has since been sacked and we’ll have to see if stoke continue with their trend of experienced British managers)

I'm not sure it's as simple as that, otherwise surely Stam would've had him playing like a god wouldn't he?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Jan 2019 15:56

If we're still looking for yet more midfielders:

'Mansfield midfielder CJ Hamilton is attracting interest from the Championship, according to the Mansfield Chad.
The 23-year-old former Sheffield United player has scored five goals for The Stags this season, and the newspaper reports West Bromwich Albion and Preston have both expressed an interest in signing him - with potential bids of up to £750,000 suggested.'

Btw, a winger/striker I thought we might take a look at is Colin Quaner, but he just moved on loan from Hudders to Ipswich, so let's hope he doesn't do much there...

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 09 Jan 2019 16:23

Denver Royal If we're still looking for yet more midfielders:

'Mansfield midfielder CJ Hamilton is attracting interest from the Championship, according to the Mansfield Chad.
The 23-year-old former Sheffield United player has scored five goals for The Stags this season, and the newspaper reports West Bromwich Albion and Preston have both expressed an interest in signing him - with potential bids of up to £750,000 suggested.'

Btw, a winger/striker I thought we might take a look at is Colin Quaner, but he just moved on loan from Hudders to Ipswich, so let's hope he doesn't do much there...

Colin Quaner is useless.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2019 16:50

savage 4 england
Denver Royal If we're still looking for yet more midfielders:

Colin Quaner is useless.

Isn't he just basically a slightly worse Yakou Meite? Big lump who plays on the wing

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2019 20:50

Getting seriously worried by our business. Young big shot not proved anythings on loan in positions we don't need more numbers. Suggests there's no money either.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Jan 2019 20:51

January 9th

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Jan 2019 21:01

Snowflake Royal Getting seriously worried by our business. Young big shot not proved anythings on loan in positions we don't need more numbers. Suggests there's no money either.

Why does it suggest we have no money? Seeing as we don't know what division we'll be in next season, getting in permanent players on big contracts (because why else would they sign up), would be rash. Splashing cash can wait till the summer.

We've tried the experienced player route (Meyler, Edwards, O Shea etc), without it going terribly well.

Picking up young players on loan who have something to prove has merit.

We're also less than a third of the way in - plenty time for more options to turn up.

Chill.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jan 2019 21:15

Snowflake Royal Getting seriously worried by our business. Young big shot not proved anythings on loan in positions we don't need more numbers. Suggests there's no money either.

Early days so lets judge in February but do agree that both signings so far don't make a whole lot of sense, particularly as neither have pulled up any trees at this level.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 10 Jan 2019 00:10

Hoop Blah
TiagoIlori The technical type that possession football requires, decent end product. At the time of my comment, he is much better suited than dinosaur football Rowett got his stoke side playing(I am aware he has since been sacked and we’ll have to see if stoke continue with their trend of experienced British managers)

I'm not sure it's as simple as that, otherwise surely Stam would've had him playing like a god wouldn't he?

Put it this way, if Jose’s managed to get Aluko playing anything is possible

741 posts