BFTG - Bristol City

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Bristol City

by Lower West » 19 Apr 2019 16:18

Fully deserved a point against a good side. Let's hope results later this afternoon go our way.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Bristol City

by Royals and Racers » 19 Apr 2019 16:27

Lovely worked goal from the free kick. Didn`t go but seen it on Sky sports news.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 19 Apr 2019 16:34

Not sure we did deserve a point, other than the last 5 minutes we hardly got into their half and we’re very slow on the counter. Still, a good point nonetheless.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Apr 2019 17:11

Bristol Paul Not sure we did deserve a point, other than the last 5 minutes we hardly got into their half and we’re very slow on the counter. Still, a good point nonetheless.

It was an excellent away performance thoroughly deserving of a point . If you only spend the few seconds in the opposing half required to put the ball in their net, nothing else matters. On another day that could be enough to take all 3pts.

EDIT

Have to say I think the 5pt cushion makes us safe.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 19 Apr 2019 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 19 Apr 2019 17:15

Just slightly disappointing we've gone ahead in all of the last 3 games away and not won any of them, so maybe a few tweaks to approach needed.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Apr 2019 17:17

There have been some great backs-to-the-wall performances recently and Gomes has done a brilliant job but there is so much to be done.

We are still terrible at keeping possession to me eyes. Everything is slightly ponderous and lacking in confidence still. We receive the ball then look up, shield the ball, look for a man who then gets closed down..... then the man in possession either gets robbed, or, if he passes it, we lose it because it’s been telegraphed. Other players are not moving into space to give options which doesn’t help.

Fortunately we have a very strong defence and keeper and are pretty good on the sucker-punch break so are doing enough to stay up.

The turnaround has been fantastic and I’d happily have JG’s babies if he asked nicely but we are miles away from being a decent side, despite these class loan players all contributing strongly.

Passing and movement is a massive weakness.

Still Job 1 nearly done, let’s hope the next phase of coaching is as successful because we won’t get many points if we play like this next season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Apr 2019 17:23

Royal Rother There have been some great backs-to-the-wall performances recently and Gomes has done a brilliant job but there is so much to be done.

We are still terrible at keeping possession to me eyes. Everything is slightly ponderous and lacking in confidence still. We receive the ball then look up, shield the ball, look for a man who then gets closed down..... then the man in possession either gets robbed, or, if he passes it, we lose it because it’s been telegraphed. Other players are not moving into space to give options which doesn’t help.

Fortunately we have a very strong defence and keeper and are pretty good on the sucker-punch break so are doing enough to stay up.

The turnaround has been fantastic and I’d happily have JG’s babies if he asked nicely but we are miles away from being a decent side, despite these class loan players all contributing strongly.

Still Job 1 nearly done, let’s hope the next phase of coaching is as successful because we won’t get many points if we play like this next season.

Movement has been a problem for a long time. I’ve lost count of the times Swift has been on the ball but had to delay the pass because of a lack of options.
However we are now a really tough side to beat and Meite is doing brilliantly. We are not safe yet but I’m hoping we get our best gate of the season on Monday against a team who have far more important games coming up than the one against us. Hopefully we can beat West Brom which I’m sure will see us safe.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Apr 2019 17:29

I think that’s a little harsh RR

Our recent results tell you we aren’t miles away. We’ve massively improved at ball retention and movement, though of course there is still plenty of work to be done, least of all in the next 3 games

Forty

by Forty » 19 Apr 2019 17:37

Should have been all three. A really good performance, mostly.

Gunter. One Job. Stop the cross. Didn't. Repeatedly. Especially as their man of the match had worked off of Blackett.

So should have been three points.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 19 Apr 2019 17:41

Royal Rother There have been some great backs-to-the-wall performances recently and Gomes has done a brilliant job but there is so much to be done.

Agree with all this

interestedobserver

by interestedobserver » 19 Apr 2019 17:43

I thought there was a difference between the sides in spirit and attitude, Reading really stepped up when needed and City seemed to me to lack leadership and responsibility for a side in their position

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Apr 2019 18:28

Strange game really, didn't think we played well at all, yet there were never really any moments I was worried that we'd lose. There were some real basics missing out there today, the retaining of possession was poor, we weren't winning second balls until the last 10 minutes, there was a real lack of pressure on their wide players throughout

Martinez 5 - caught in no man's land for their goal, didn't have too much else to do

Gunter 4 - really poor. Crossing was shocking throughout and his pressure of the winger was awful, led to their goal
Yiadom 6 - some good things but never really looked comfortable there and made mistakes
Miazga 9 - an absolute rock at the back, great header off the line and didn't put a foot wrong
Moore 7 - solid and headed a lot away but some of his clearances were seriously misguided
Blackett 5 - played well first half, poor second half and should have done a lot better for their goal

Baker 5 - one of his worst games in a while, just didn't seem to do much
Rino 6 - another steady first half, second half he wasn't great and lost the midfield battle
Ejaria 4 - still can't see what he offers, lost it time and time again

Barrow 5 - ineffectual, think his pace would have been useful late on rather than McCleary
Meite 5 - people think I'm harsh on him but he was genuinely poor today, nothing was sticking, he was losing every header, he had no spatial awareness. Good finish for the goal

Oliveira 3 - was calling for him to come on earlier but he was the worst of the bunch. Didn't play Gmac in and then took the header off Baker. Think he's been rushed back
McCleary 4 - messed up a couple of promising situations with a pass that took Nelson too far out wide, and seems to have lost the ability to take on a man and deliver a cross
McIntyre 5 - Didn't really notice him do much

Some low ratings here but I generally don't think many played well at all today, with the exception of Moore and Miazga. Whilst it was a good point, I did point out Bristol tend to struggle against teams that sit back leaving no gaps and it occurred again today

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Apr 2019 18:35

Hound I think that’s a little harsh RR

Our recent results tell you we aren’t miles away. We’ve massively improved at ball retention and movement, though of course there is still plenty of work to be done, least of all in the next 3 games

Quite

We're 14th on the current form table over 6 games in which only 2 were at home and only one was lost. 4 of those games were against promotion/play off contenders. I think our last 15 games would equate to a 66pt season. In a very tight league, we aren't far away.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Apr 2019 18:44

Wins against a PNE team who were flying at the time, a good if slightly disinterested Brentford side, to go with draws at Norwich, Brizzle and Stoke. Just the Hull defeat in there - it’s been a good run

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Apr 2019 18:49

How many opportunities did Oli squander?! Struggling to think of many worse substitute appearances. He desperately needs a goal.

Anyway, a really good point away at a good team. You can see why they’re successful, the amount of balls they lumped into the box was mental and for the most part we defended them very well. Not to take anything away they also had a decent balls to their front man and down the flank. Anyway, annoying Wigan one but good Rotherham lost and we can confirm safety on Monday :shock:

MOTM - Martinez (honourable mention to Miazga)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Apr 2019 18:51

URZZZZ Strange game really, didn't think we played well at all, yet there were never really any moments I was worried that we'd lose. There were some real basics missing out there today, the retaining of possession was poor, we weren't winning second balls until the last 10 minutes, there was a real lack of pressure on their wide players throughout

Martinez 5 - caught in no man's land for their goal, didn't have too much else to do

Gunter 4 - really poor. Crossing was shocking throughout and his pressure of the winger was awful, led to their goal
Yiadom 6 - some good things but never really looked comfortable there and made mistakes
Miazga 9 - an absolute rock at the back, great header off the line and didn't put a foot wrong
Moore 7 - solid and headed a lot away but some of his clearances were seriously misguided
Blackett 5 - played well first half, poor second half and should have done a lot better for their goal

Baker 5 - one of his worst games in a while, just didn't seem to do much
Rino 6 - another steady first half, second half he wasn't great and lost the midfield battle
Ejaria 4 - still can't see what he offers, lost it time and time again

Barrow 5 - ineffectual, think his pace would have been useful late on rather than McCleary
Meite 5 - people think I'm harsh on him but he was genuinely poor today, nothing was sticking, he was losing every header, he had no spatial awareness. Good finish for the goal

Oliveira 3 - was calling for him to come on earlier but he was the worst of the bunch. Didn't play Gmac in and then took the header off Baker. Think he's been rushed back
McCleary 4 - messed up a couple of promising situations with a pass that took Nelson too far out wide, and seems to have lost the ability to take on a man and deliver a cross
McIntyre 5 - Didn't really notice him do much

Some low ratings here but I generally don't think many played well at all today, with the exception of Moore and Miazga. Whilst it was a good point, I did point out Bristol tend to struggle against teams that sit back leaving no gaps and it occurred again today

I can’t work you out. You go either post a lot of sense or complete and utter bollocks, there is no half way house.

Schmeichel the dog

by Schmeichel the dog » 19 Apr 2019 18:59

Frustratingly selfish substitute cameo from Olivera. MOTM Miazga.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Apr 2019 19:22

CountryRoyal How many opportunities did Oli squander?! Struggling to think of many worse substitute appearances. He desperately needs a goal.

Anyway, a really good point away at a good team. You can see why they’re successful, the amount of balls they lumped into the box was mental and for the most part we defended them very well. Not to take anything away they also had a decent balls to their front man and down the flank. Anyway, annoying Wigan one but good Rotherham lost and we can confirm safety on Monday :shock:

Well I don't remember Martinez making many saves, certainly not any "decent" saves and a save that a goalkeeper championship shouldn't be making. He's then in no man's land for the goal. A talented goalkeeper yes, but also an overrated one

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Apr 2019 19:33

Great day out and a battling performance. Staying up, no doubt.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Apr 2019 19:37

URZZZZ
CountryRoyal How many opportunities did Oli squander?! Struggling to think of many worse substitute appearances. He desperately needs a goal.

Well I don't remember Martinez making many saves, certainly not any "decent" saves and a save that a goalkeeper championship shouldn't be making. He's then in no man's land for the goal. A talented goalkeeper yes, but also an overrated one

It’s not just the saves though. Those two deadly accurate long kicks near the end could easily have brought us a goal. And the oppo by knowing he can do that, also know they can’t press to the extent they might like