Alex Pearce..........

170 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Alex Pearce..........

by floyd__streete » 07 Aug 2010 19:21

Plymouth_Royal
floyd__streete I said in pre-season that I was seeing far too much of our Alex Pearce and Jem Karacan in the starting line-up for my liking. If these two are regular Championship-quality players then my name is Brendan Rodgers.

Did you actually watch any pre-season games.

Yep, I saw the Wycombe and Wolves games and thought that they were probably the two poorest Reading players on the park in both games. Karacan gives the ball away like it is going out of fashion, he is probably playing a division above his true ability. Same can be said about Pearce. Still, they're academy products and square pegs into round holes is apparent proof of the massive success of the academy. For me, Sig and Church are by far the two best prospects and every other young player who has come through recently is a long way behind those two, neither of whom are the finished article.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 07 Aug 2010 19:24

Worst defender in the Championship. His one saving grace is supposed to be his ability in the air....but he can't fcking head the ball straight. :evil:

We need Zurab.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Aug 2010 19:26

[quote="NR_Royal"]

Well, quite. Was it Ian Royal in pre-season who said that Pearce was as good as Zurab? Dearie me, Zurab is so much superior to Pearce he is practically playing a different sport. I note that Madejski has been gobbing off about promotion. Well, the club haven't put up the wages to bring in one of the players who took us out of the mire last season so having failed/refused to do so then I suggest then that you shut up and admit that you are happy for us to drift along as also-rans.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Aug 2010 19:39

SLAMMED
Ian Royal Nice to see everyone carrying on the tradition of picking their scapegoat early.

Maybe if you actually went to games you could give an opinion.

Indeed. If you don't go to games, shut the fvck up!

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 07 Aug 2010 19:40

floyd__streete
Plymouth_Royal
floyd__streete I said in pre-season that I was seeing far too much of our Alex Pearce and Jem Karacan in the starting line-up for my liking. If these two are regular Championship-quality players then my name is Brendan Rodgers.

Did you actually watch any pre-season games.

Yep, I saw the Wycombe and Wolves games and thought that they were probably the two poorest Reading players on the park in both games. Karacan gives the ball away like it is going out of fashion, he is probably playing a division above his true ability. Same can be said about Pearce. Still, they're academy products and square pegs into round holes is apparent proof of the massive success of the academy. For me, Sig and Church are by far the two best prospects and every other young player who has come through recently is a long way behind those two, neither of whom are the finished article.

You must have been blind folded then. Pearce was poor against Wycombe I'll give ya that. But not against Wolves. Karacen played well in both, Wolves being the better game. He got up and down like any box to box midfielder should and the only time he lost the ball in that game was when he tried to play a one two with kebe in the first half, in there box, via a flick.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Aug 2010 19:45

Plymouth_Royal You must have been blind folded then. Pearce was poor against Wycombe I'll give ya that. But not against Wolves. Karacen played well in both, Wolves being the better game. He got up and down like any box to box midfielder should and the only time he lost the ball in that game was when he tried to play a one two with kebe in the first half, in there box, via a flick.

Fair play to you for coming up from Plymouth to watch pre-season friendlies :| , that is fanatical support - I often don't feel as if I can be bothered travelling from East Reading to watch us play. I disagree somewhat about the merits of Karacan's performances in the friendlies, but most importantly McD seems to agree with you and that is the be-all and end-all. But if Karacan starts more than 15-20 games this season then I will be amazed - he was massively found out today in the stuff that matters, competitive league football matches.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Aug 2010 19:49

I don't know - have you been to Plymouth? Any excuse to get away from it...

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 07 Aug 2010 19:49

We all knew this was going to be a big issue... the alarm bells have been ringing since we started playing Griffin an Bryn in central defence in preseason friendlies...

Not sure what was up with Mills late on but Imagine if he were to get injured seriously... we'd end up with Pearce as our number one centre back. Shocking situation to be in but what can McD do... the funds available to him are massively limited by the bloke with 'Premiership Ambitions' for this season... :roll:

My opinion over the summer was that with Cisse gone and Ivar out injured we HAD to get another centre back in - that opinion stands. Good teams are built on solid defences - look at Arsenal recently - some amazing attacking players at their disposal but pi55 poor at defending and it costs them.

IMO whether we can bring a CB in before the window end will be the make or break factor in where we end up this season.

PS I'd love Alex Pearce to prove me wrong and be part of a water-tight defence for the rest of the season, but personally I just don't see it.

(As for Jem - I think he certainly got what it takes, but I don't think he delivers consistently yet - I'd be happy to persist with him for a half dozen games to see if he comes good but something tells me McD will switch to tried and tested and use Howard and Tabb).

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 07 Aug 2010 19:51

SteveRoyal He must be doing something right to still be on our books.

Yep, hes cheap.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 07 Aug 2010 20:39

We need a replacement for Pearce asap.

Today was unexcusable. There forwards could just walk past Pearce unchallenged. He is too lightweight and weak. Their number 14 pushed him about all afternoon and Pearce had no answer. God knows what will happen against a decent team.

He also gave scunny the corner for the second goal. He could have cleared his lines or nudged the other guy off the ball, instead he was forced into an error which gave scunny the three points.

Get zurab or someone as good in now.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Aug 2010 20:42

It's not the case that people are having a go at Pearce just for today's performance.
Many of us suggested last season that he is at best a Div 1 player and the fact that Mills,Ivar and Zurab generally played ahead of him seems to confirm that the manager feels the same way.
I fear that we will be mid-table at best if Zurab or a similar experienced centre-back is not brought in during this window.
We have other problems but this centre-back hole is the most pressing and sides better than Scunthorpe (that means most of the division) will take greater advantage of that weakness.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 07 Aug 2010 20:48

Basingstoke Royal Get zurab or someone as good in now.

To be fair I don't think we even NEED to get someone as good as Zurab... someone vaguely decent would be a start. You shouldn't enter a season with only 3 CBs when of those 3 you've got one who is (arguably) shit and another who is injured and getting on a bit.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Aug 2010 21:00

Wimb earlier post is spot on.

His occassional decent positioning saves him at times because he lacks pace, terrible ball control, and is a player who always seems to play with zero confidence. Chemistry between him and mills looks poor.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Aug 2010 21:01

NR_Royal

That is all. :|

yep

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 07 Aug 2010 21:11

paultheroyal Chemistry between him and mills looks poor.

Yeah, what's-her-face from Hollyoaks hasn't got anything to worry about.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 07 Aug 2010 21:14

rob the royal

I take it you lot haven't heard the story about Mills and Pearce having a bust-up at the beginning of last season then?

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 07 Aug 2010 21:22

rfcjoe
rob the royal

I take it you lot haven't heard the story about Mills and Pearce having a bust-up at the beginning of last season then?

Actually it rings a bell. Not surprising really, a mate of mine was in the year above Pearce at school and said he was a prat.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 07 Aug 2010 21:29

We dont even have to buy someone, just a season long loan will do

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 07 Aug 2010 21:31

Plymouth_Royal

Did you actually watch any pre-season games. They've both looked solid and Jem has been one of our best players in pre-season. Hence his start today. Didnt do alot wrong today but he doesnt work well with Gunnar.

Nearly cost us a goal, that 4v1 was entirely his fault. He should not be in this team, baffling decision to start him in front of the proven tabb and howard.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 07 Aug 2010 21:40

FiNeRaIn
Plymouth_Royal

Did you actually watch any pre-season games. They've both looked solid and Jem has been one of our best players in pre-season. Hence his start today. Didnt do alot wrong today but he doesnt work well with Gunnar.

Nearly cost us a goal, that 4v1 was entirely his fault. He should not be in this team, baffling decision to start him in front of the proven tabb and howard.

did you see him trying to get back!?! :lol: I thought the were showing a slow mo and then I remembered it was real life and not on telly and he really was going that slow.

170 posts