Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 13 Aug 2010 09:09

McD is giving full support to his current players, it could well be that they are going to be all he has, to come out and suggest that he is about to buy more to replace them, could be a bad move.

Rasiak at CB would be great, all they need to do is teach him to fecking jump, he look like Butler in his last months at the club, lacklustre and incapable.

PS I fecking knew he would be the one to score on Wednesday, maybe he heard the comments aimed at him.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Aug 2010 10:44

rhroyal I had 15 slack minutes at work the other day so I decided to check our most recent accounts on Companies' House. Believe me, we're not in a position to be spending money a on solid, top half centre back. We certainly need one though, maybe McD could pull off another loan coup from somewhere.

In what way? Don't forget those books are quite out of date now, and it's the industry that the clubs in which operates (probably wrongly of course) on different models than most others. We have to compete with the rest of the market (to an extent) if we want to be anywhere near successful.

Ark Royal If someone comes in and offers 1-2 million for Feds, we should bite their fu cking hand off and then immediately get Zurab in.

Amen to that. He's our most over-rated player and the one that we could generate the most money from without missing him.

He's an average Championship keeper at best, and we could probably do better with either the pick of our youngsters or even using a bit of the money for him on an experienced loanee.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Aug 2010 10:50

In what way? Don't forget those books are quite out of date now, and it's the industry that the clubs in which operates (probably wrongly of course) on different models than most others. We have to compete with the rest of the market (to an extent) if we want to be anywhere near successful.

with the loss of parachute payments, and slashing of season ticket prices they sure as hell havent got much better since then!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 13 Aug 2010 10:57

brendywendy

with the loss of parachute payments, and slashing of season ticket prices they sure as hell havent got much better since then!

Or any worse, we had little money last summer, or in the Jan window, just get used to where we are, only when we over achieve can we succeed, same as most clubs at this level.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Aug 2010 11:01

brendywendy

I think we received the last of the parachute payments in the financial year just past plus we've reduced the wage bill quite dramatically (the single biggest expediture by far), and won't have large capex expenditure on infrastructure that we probably still accounted for in 2009.

I'm not saying the books will look much better, I'm more wondering which bits of it were seen to be so scary.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 13 Aug 2010 11:24

Hoop Blah
brendywendy

I think we received the last of the parachute payments in the financial year just past plus we've reduced the wage bill quite dramatically (the single biggest expediture by far), and won't have large capex expenditure on infrastructure that we probably still accounted for in 2009.

I'm not saying the books will look much better, I'm more wondering which bits of it were seen to be so scary.

I think they're just scary if you take them in the context of (as you aluded to earlier) having a strategy of attempting to be financially self-proficient (as far as possible) as opposed to a lot of other clubs strategy of spend and hope. I'd suggest that in reality our finances are in better shape now then they were when we got promoted . Which if you consider we're in the throes of a world wide recession is no mean feat in itself.Of course the reason we are at this stage is A) due to promotion where we did invest money, not massive amounts but certainly more than we could afford as a self sufficient club & on the flip side B) because we didn't completely shoot our load just to protect our Premiership status.

The problem is, as many have pointed out that its extremely difficult for a club of our size to be financially self sufficent and be competitive at the top end of the championship because the market is still bloated by Sky's Premiership millions and countless owners trying to live the dream without any thought to the possible consequences. The knock on effect is seen with someone like Zurab. In any sane World a centre half who is 5th choice at a lower end top tier club should be easily affordable for a middling 2nd tier club.

The fact that he isn't (or even close to it) is the real problem for us with our policy but mainly in my view a sad indictment of the modern game.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 13 Aug 2010 11:32

Vision
I think they're just scary if you take them in the context of (as you aluded to earlier) having a strategy of attempting to be financially self-proficient (as far as possible) as opposed to a lot of other clubs strategy of spend and hope. I'd suggest that in reality our finances are in better shape now then they were when we got promoted . Which if you consider we're in the throes of a world wide recession is no mean feat in itself.Of course the reason we are at this stage is A) due to promotion where we did invest money, not massive amounts but certainly more than we could afford as a self sufficient club & on the flip side B) because we didn't completely shoot our load just to protect our Premiership status.

The problem is, as many have pointed out that its extremely difficult for a club of our size to be financially self sufficent and be competitive at the top end of the championship because the market is still bloated by Sky's Premiership millions and countless owners trying to live the dream without any thought to the possible consequences. The knock on effect is seen with someone like Zurab. In any sane World a centre half who is 5th choice at a lower end top tier club should be easily affordable for a middling 2nd tier club.

The fact that he isn't (or even close to it) is the real problem for us with our policy but mainly in my view a sad indictment of the modern game.

Top post Vision

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 13 Aug 2010 12:09

Ark Royal
Terminal Boardom My take is tht we will only see players come in if we end up selling one or more of our stars. These would include Fed, Kebe, Jobi and Gylfi. Only after funds have been received or these players can we expect to see any movement regards players coming in.

Next, as mentioned earlier in this thread, we will make use of other youngsters coming through.

sadly, the net result is that some supporters will become disillusioned and decide to give up on their fix of pro football while Reading hover around mid/lower half of the table. If the club were to be relegated then attendances would drop even further.

If someone comes in and offers 1-2 million for Feds, we should bite their fu cking hand off and then immediately get Zurab in.

But we can't afford his wages.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Aug 2010 12:22

On top of all this, the lower we slip down the leagues, the harder it will be to attract quality players without paying over the odds. Bit of a Catch 22 if you ask me.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Aug 2010 12:24

Handsome Man But we can't afford his wages.

I think the idea was that if we sell Federici the money from his sale, combined with the saving of his wages (unfortunately he's probably one of our higher earners these days) will free up the funds to be able to afford him!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Aug 2010 14:37

Terminal Boardom On top of all this, the lower we slip down the leagues, the harder it will be to attract quality players without paying over the odds. Bit of a Catch 22 if you ask me.

Conversely the lower we slip down the leagues the more likely we are to become self-sufficient for our entire playing staff. I think that has long been SJM's vision for the club.

A team consisting of the following wouldn't need too much strengthening to become a more than adequate League 1 outfit. (Outside of possibly the Top 8 teams in the country, I'd imagine there are no clubs in the entire League who could make that claim about their ex-Academy players with greater justification.)

McCarthy
Kelly
Pearce
Mills
Joyce
Robson-Kanu
Karacan
Davies
Sigurdsson
Church
Long

Andersen, Bel-Baggie, Taylor, Walcott, Bignall, Antonio, Obita

Okay, we want better than League 1 football but self-sufficiency at any level is the path to absolute financial security, which in turn brings wealth and prosperity. Where the club would go once that has been achieved is another question altogether!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Aug 2010 14:48

Royal Rother
Terminal Boardom On top of all this, the lower we slip down the leagues, the harder it will be to attract quality players without paying over the odds. Bit of a Catch 22 if you ask me.

Conversely the lower we slip down the leagues the more likely we are to become self-sufficient for our entire playing staff. I think that has long been SJM's vision for the club.

A team consisting of the following wouldn't need too much strengthening to become a more than adequate League 1 outfit. (Outside of possibly the Top 8 teams in the country, I'd imagine there are no clubs in the entire League who could make that claim about their ex-Academy players with greater justification.)

McCarthy
Kelly
Pearce
Mills
Joyce
Robson-Kanu
Karacan
Davies
Sigurdsson
Church
Long

Okay, we want better than League 1 football but self-sufficiency at any level is the path to absolute financial security, which in turn brings wealth and prosperity. Where the club would go once that has been achieved is another question altogether!

But if we were League 1, how many of your starting 11 would still be here? Also, there is the double whammy of fewer bums on seats. Crowds would drop to the 10,000 - 12,000 mark very quickly.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 13 Aug 2010 14:51

Hoop Blah

I think the idea was that if we sell Federici the money from his sale, combined with the saving of his wages (unfortunately he's probably one of our higher earners these days) will free up the funds to be able to afford him!

But we have a wage structure. If he comes in earning more than everybody else, then it all breaks down. He earns far more than any of our current players, so either he has a massive pay cut or he can't come here.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Aug 2010 14:56

Handsome Man
Hoop Blah

But we have a wage structure. If he comes in earning more than everybody else, then it all breaks down. He earns far more than any of our current players, so either he has a massive pay cut or he can't come here.

Exactly and this is the problem that Ian Holloway has at Blackpool. THey are sticking to their wage structure which is a £10k per week maximum. He wanted to sign John Stead and someone from Forest but they were already on £12k and £14k in the Championship so he had to give up on them...............

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Aug 2010 14:58

Terminal Boardom
Royal Rother

McCarthy
Kelly
Pearce
Mills
Joyce
Robson-Kanu
Karacan
Davies
Sigurdsson
Church
Long

But if we were League 1, how many of your starting 11 would still be here? Also, there is the double whammy of fewer bums on seats. Crowds would drop to the 10,000 - 12,000 mark very quickly.

Well indeed. We both know what the other is getting at! Catch 22, flip sides of a coin etc. Adjourn to continue over a cuppa on Tuesday evening?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Aug 2010 15:31

Handsome Man
Hoop Blah

That's a fair point, but if he wants to get a contract at this level (and he's presumably not good enough to get one at the next level up these days) then he has to accept a wage cut.

That's not what I read as not being able to afford his wages because basically he's apparently been offered his contact paid up anyway, so anything he gets on top of that is potentially just double bouble for him.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Aug 2010 15:44

Royal Rother Well indeed. We both know what the other is getting at! Catch 22, flip sides of a coin etc. Adjourn to continue over a cuppa on Tuesday evening?

Sounds like a plan to me.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Aug 2010 16:02

Barnsley can spend 1 million on striker, we can't even bring someone in on loan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its ok boys, we spent 11 million on directors offices and a media suite we don't even use in the championship.

Well run club. :lol:

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 13 Aug 2010 16:08

FiNeRaIn Barnsley can spend 1 million on striker, we can't even bring someone in on loan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its ok boys, we spent 11 million on directors offices and a media suite we don't even use in the championship.

Who is "we" today then? I'm sure your team would never let itself get into any sort of financial bother, would it..? :lol: :lol: :lol:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Aug 2010 16:12

sheshnu
FiNeRaIn Barnsley can spend 1 million on striker, we can't even bring someone in on loan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who is "we" today then? I'm sure your team would never let itself get into any sort of financial bother, would it..? :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Beattie_(footballer)

Next....

723 posts