Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Aug 2010 14:13

fester_royal
Z175 http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2123913,00.html

Latest we have no money and must sell post. Three in a few days on the website - WHY?! are they publishing these?!

its called preperation for the inevitable.. we all know money bags will jump at the first reasonable offer for any of our players. Brians forced to say hes happy with the reserves in an attempt to convince us we will cope when theyre sold.

its all just spin no point in reading the OS anymore.

+1 million.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Aug 2010 14:28

floyd__streete
Silver Fox
Schards#2 I see Cardiff are lining up a move for Bellamy.

Another club who seems to have come out of financial dissaray in a stronger position that Reading

Or by not really coming out of financial dissaray and continuing to spend money they haven't got they appear to be in a stronger financial position but at what cost in the future?

I look forward to the mythical D-Day where 91 clubs go bankrupt and Reading are crowned Premier League champions by default. The same day that Compo gets a round in and Kingsley is unmasked as Steve Fossett.

Don't know about 91 clubs, just enough to get us into the champions league places (where we'll only play german teams because they're the only ones run properly)

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 16 Aug 2010 14:29

FiNeRaIn
fester_royal
Z175 http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2123913,00.html

Latest we have no money and must sell post. Three in a few days on the website - WHY?! are they publishing these?!

its called preperation for the inevitable.. we all know money bags will jump at the first reasonable offer for any of our players. Brians forced to say hes happy with the reserves in an attempt to convince us we will cope when theyre sold.

+1 million.

+ 2 million it is to prepare us for the selling of more player's and not to replace them

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2010 14:33

I don't mind a bit of honesty from the club if that's what it is.

At least we know where we stand and what to expect. It's a shame they don't keep the message a little more consistent though. It's an even bigger shame that we seem to be being so tight with the purse strings too!

under the tin

by under the tin » 16 Aug 2010 14:37

its called preperation for the inevitable..
True.
we all know money bags will jump at the first reasonable offer for any of our players.
I think that's a bit disingenuous to the chairman.

I think it's far more straightforward than that. Seems to me that it has been made crystal clear to Brian that in order to buy, he must first sell.
His attempts to generate a bit of cash with the sale of Mooney and Davies have been a failure, and I reckon that the reason why Antonio is not already a Southampton player is because Brian is expecting a successful bid for either McAnuff or Kebe. Antonio gone as well would mean we would have to spend to replace either.
I also suspect that the reason why we have an embarrassment of riches in terms of young goalkeepers is because Federici is being very quietly touted around other clubs.

Agreed.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 16 Aug 2010 14:41

Think Kebe is in box seat - however his desire to return to France next season may mean it doesnt happen -

But a half page spread in the widest circulated newspaper today, comparing him to Thierry Henry and the Pompey defender endorsing the fact that hes never been shagged so much by a winger, may get scouts in abundance at Saturdays game

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2010 14:43

I do believe that repeating the "we have to sell in order to buy" mantra could well be because we know a couple of players are off. :cry: Kebe and Sigs would be my guess.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2010 14:46

Or simply a statement of fact to put things in perspective for fans - simply that no one else will arrive here unless someone does go.

If a very good bid comes in, it will be considered (and possibly accepted) - as it would be by every other team in this division.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2010 14:46

DOYLERSAROYALER Think Kebe is in box seat - however his desire to return to France next season may mean it doesnt happen -

But a half page spread in the widest circulated newspaper today, comparing him to Thierry Henry and the Pompey defender endorsing the fact that hes never been shagged so much by a winger, may get scouts in abundance at Saturdays game

would quite like a nice short term injury this week to mr kebe, just till teh window closes

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 16 Aug 2010 15:00

brendywendy
DOYLERSAROYALER Think Kebe is in box seat - however his desire to return to France next season may mean it doesnt happen -

would quite like a nice short term injury this week to mr kebe, just till teh window closes

..next fortnight would see us through it, but at same time we need Kebe to be playing, after all he has Ryan Bertrand at weekend !
Last edited by DOYLERSAROYALER on 16 Aug 2010 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2010 15:05

i think the fact that he will have betrand and one other on his ass all game may mean he has a quiet game anyway, hopefully put all those scouts off

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Aug 2010 15:21

PieEater
papereyes There's a certain amount of "hmmmm" about City not wanting to put him in the 25 man squad but equally being fussy about who they sell him to.

I am 90 % sure there's a potential legal case there (restraint of trade?).

Why, he's still under contract so still getting paid whether he plays or not.

That is roughly how I see it - but the issue could be City being fussy about who they sell him to. I think the 25 man squad rule, which means he cannot play in that period for that club, might be what gets challenged.

He'll go before the end of the transfer window, but I'd like to see what happens if he doesn't.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 16 Aug 2010 15:28

Can someone explain why we are so worried about Craig Bellamy's future as a possible Cardiff City player on this site?????

Who cares where Bellamy ends up...he'll cause problems there as well!!!!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Aug 2010 15:30

DOYLERSAROYALER Can someone explain why we are so worried about Craig Bellamy's future as a possible Cardiff City player on this site?????

Only problems he'll be causing are one's in the oppositions net, the guys quality.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 16 Aug 2010 15:33

FiNeRaIn
DOYLERSAROYALER Can someone explain why we are so worried about Craig Bellamy's future as a possible Cardiff City player on this site?????

Only problems he'll be causing are one's in the oppositions net, the guys quality.

Not doubting his ability...but is all conjecture...and Spurs will sign him anyway

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 16 Aug 2010 15:35

I can take us being tight AS LONG as the club don't act like everything is rosey and that we are potential promotion challengers. I have the upmost respect for McDermott, that guy is superb but I have lost a tiny bit of respect for him praising our defence and saying it's been incredible WHEN DEEP DOWN he knows it's not good enough.

A lot of covering over the cracks by the club I feel. Whilst we were the better side at Pompey, if we were playing against a better strikeforce, we would have been a good 3-0 down by half time, cue Forest and Leicester!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2010 15:57

Apart from the first 20 yesterday, Forest haven't looked much cop this season IMO.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Aug 2010 16:04

Jeffers217 I can take us being tight AS LONG as the club don't act like everything is rosey and that we are potential promotion challengers. I have the upmost respect for McDermott, that guy is superb but I have lost a tiny bit of respect for him praising our defence and saying it's been incredible WHEN DEEP DOWN he knows it's not good enough.

!

since its not always the money you spend that takes you up - see half the promoted teams since the prem began
and seeing as anyone can go on a run in this league and make the playoffs- see us nearly doing it last year, when only playing properly from february
then i dont think it follows that he is lieing when he says he has ambition to get us back up.and its possible to say we want to go back up, and we have no money at the same time.

& massive lol at criticising a manager for not telling his makeshift defence that they were awful- good man management there jeff.
tbf for bryn and pearce to play two games from start to finish and only concede 1 goal is a superb performance, and deserves all th epraise it gets

under the tin

by under the tin » 16 Aug 2010 16:25

Jeffers217 I can take us being tight AS LONG as the club don't act like everything is rosey and that we are potential promotion challengers. I have the upmost respect for McDermott, that guy is superb but I have lost a tiny bit of respect for him praising our defence and saying it's been incredible WHEN DEEP DOWN he knows it's not good enough.

A lot of covering over the cracks by the club I feel. Whilst we were the better side at Pompey, if we were playing against a better strikeforce, we would have been a good 3-0 down by half time, cue Forest and Leicester!

Maybe I'm just a cynical old sod, but I think I can see "tub thumping" for what it is.
You can't seriously expect Madejski, McDermott, et al to espouse anything other than the generic "challenging at the top end" "quality side" kind of soundbites, they are in the bums on seats business,after all.

We could be serious promotion challengers this year, but with a vulnerable defence, we will be putting a lot of pressure on our flair players to deliver. If they do, then that's fine, we will win more games than we lose. However, If we "pull the team's teeth" by selling flair players in order to shore up what is quite obviously a leaky defence, then it becomes a bit of a "two steps forward, one and a half back" dilemma for a cash strapped team manager.

And to pick up on another point made earlier, it is all very well and good lauding our sensible club for growing its own playing talent.
The problem is that developing youngsters is not an exact science. Some kids go all the way, others finish up at Basingstoke Town.
I would venture to suggest that we are attracting a better quality of youngster these days because of the enhanced profile of the club, and the level we are competing at. Twenty years ago, Mr. Church would probably have wound up at Palace, or Southampton.
If we have to continually cash in on our best young talent, then I fear that the likelihood is that those players who were once farmed out to lower league sides will be making up our first team.
That's what I mean by the club sliding backwards

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 16 Aug 2010 16:44

In response to what people have written in response to my last comment:

- I wasn't implying that McDermott should tell his defence that they were awful at all- when did I say that he should have?! However, by publishing stuff in the papers that they were brilliant against Torquay when the majority of fans who went to that game said "after last nights showing, we are in DESPERATE need of a new centre back", in my opinion is just stupid. Yes McDermott is a great man-manager because he's got some piss-poor players playing at their potential. The problem is that without quality, I can't see us maintaining a promotion challenge.

Long is a very poor footballer in my opinion and as much as I like Howard, I don't think he has half the quality of some of the other central midfielders in this league. Basically what I am saying is that to get this Team promoted, the manager is going to have to perform miracles whereas Coppell didn't have to perform miracles with genuine quality such as Convey, Doyle and Sidwell.

If we were to sign a player like Kish then you don't have to rely on that motivation as you know what you're gonna get. Unfortunately even with motivation, a player like Pearce, and by the looks of it Williams, will not be enough to sustain a challenge.

- I guarentee you we would have been 3 down at the break if we had someone like Earnshaw, Chopra, Campbell, Boyd playing against us due to the defencive cock-ups (anyone remember Bryn's woeful attempt at a clearance that bounced underneath his leg?!). We were very lucky that we met a team low on confidence and a very poor David Nugent. I don't see Pompey challenging which is why I'm saying we will get punished. It's extremely short-sighted of the club to do with what we have. I thought Madejski would have learnt his lesson from last season, the only reason we stayed up was because of those PREMIERSHIP loan defenders that were brought in at the right time. Nothing to do with Fedrici in my opinion, average at best.

I agree with you 100% under the tin

723 posts