Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
specialjon

Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by specialjon » 10 Aug 2010 15:30

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2114683,00.html

Brian's transfer update
Posted on: Tue 10 Aug 2010
With the transfer window drawing toward a close, Royals boss Brian McDermott has given an update on any potential deals before the end of August.

Asked by TalkSport after Saturday's game about any player movement, the boss said, "We haven't got the funds to do any business in, there'll be nothing coming in, and as far as outs, it's a possibility as regards certain players, but I want to keep the players in the squad, as many as I possibly can.

"Money across the board is tight, it is very, very tight here, but this club is run really well. First and foremost the club is everything, the future of the club is everything."

Since the end of last season, the Royals have signed Marcus Williams and Andy Griffin, while Kalifa Cisse, Marek Matejovsky and James Henry departed Madejski Stadium.

Last season was the final year of our Premier League parachute payments, to the tune of approximately £12million per season.

Looks like we'll all have to pray that Ivar gets fixed asap otherwise definately midtable without him.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by Hoop Blah » 10 Aug 2010 15:40

If that's really the case and we can't scrape enough for another defender I do wonder why they gave deals to Ingimarsson and Gunarsson so quickly at the end of last season.

Either they're cheap as chips, and maybe on pay as you play deals, or we thought taking the gamble on a couple of older injury prone players was less of a risk than bringing in a younger loanee or free/cheap transfer.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 10 Aug 2010 15:44

So thats it ... A case of survival this season and hope that the deficit doesnt get any bigger....

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 10 Aug 2010 15:46

OUCH at the "it's a possibility as regards certain players" - Hopefully this means poor old old Scott Davies.

But the mention of the end of the parachute payments sounds like we're preparing to sell someone good!
:x :x :x :x

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 10 Aug 2010 15:46

oxf*rd Madejski, I'm sure we could at least sign Zurab if he wasn't such a oxf*rd tightarse.

I understand we have to be responsible with the cash, but surely in the best interest of the club we really need a defender. *explodes*

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 10 Aug 2010 15:48

bigmike So thats it ... A case of survival this season and hope that the deficit doesnt get any bigger....

'greed. Expectations down from possible playoffs to mid-table. The sooner the league gets a grip on all the spendthrifts who are, or have been, distorting the picture (Pompey, Hull, Cardiff, etc) the better. Until then, might as well enjoy it as much as possible...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Aug 2010 16:03

NR_Royal oxf*rd Madejski, I'm sure we could at least sign Zurab if he wasn't such a oxf*rd tightarse.

I understand we have to be responsible with the cash, but surely in the best interest of the club we really need a defender. *explodes*

sorry, i dont understand. are you offering to pay for kish yourself?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Aug 2010 16:05

CMRoyal
bigmike So thats it ... A case of survival this season and hope that the deficit doesnt get any bigger....

'greed. Expectations down from possible playoffs to mid-table. The sooner the league gets a grip on all the spendthrifts who are, or have been, distorting the picture (Pompey, Hull, Cardiff, etc) the better. Until then, might as well enjoy it as much as possible...

with mills injured, and a pearce/brynn cebntre back partnership the liklihood for a couple of games
& possible loss of other high profile players, id say my expectations are around about the relegation dogfight area

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Aug 2010 16:16

I hate to say it but I agree with the negativity about this. If we do not bring in another quality CB I think our chances of promotion are minuscule. This would be the most short sighted decision in many years IMO - as I think that with someone like Khiz on board we have a genuine chance of promotion. If we could agree a deal with Blackburn to pick up 50% of his wages (reputed to be £15,000 per week) that would cost us about £400,000 for a season long loan.

If we fail to go up then the like of Siggy will inevitably go next summer anyway and we will recoup any costs in sales then and probably slide into lower league oblivion.

I am all for financial common sense but this looks like a very small gamble to give us desperately needed CB cover and as many have said already out three current CB's are all too similar. A small gamble here could lead to untold millions of PL cash. Come on Sir John - you know it makes sense.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Aug 2010 16:24

of course, this could be the annual, or bi annual RFC have no money plea, in order to drive down price of our targets

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 10 Aug 2010 16:25

brendywendy
NR_Royal oxf*rd Madejski, I'm sure we could at least sign Zurab if he wasn't such a oxf*rd tightarse.

Well no, but I'm not the one who owns the club.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Aug 2010 16:31

andrew1957 I hate to say it but I agree with the negativity about this. If we do not bring in another quality CB I think our chances of promotion are minuscule. This would be the most short sighted decision in many years IMO - as I think that with someone like Khiz on board we have a genuine chance of promotion. If we could agree a deal with Blackburn to pick up 50% of his wages (reputed to be £15,000 per week) that would cost us about £400,000 for a season long loan.

If we fail to go up then the like of Siggy will inevitably go next summer anyway and we will recoup any costs in sales then and probably slide into lower league oblivion.

I am all for financial common sense but this looks like a very small gamble to give us desperately needed CB cover and as many have said already out three current CB's are all too similar. A small gamble here could lead to untold millions of PL cash. Come on Sir John - you know it makes sense.

Massive +1 to all that.

I wouldn't mind us pleading poverty quite so much if Madejski wasn't talking out of his backside last week about promotion. You haven't put up, so you should shut the f*ck up.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 10 Aug 2010 16:36

brendywendy
CMRoyal

with mills injured, and a pearce/brynn cebntre back partnership the liklihood for a couple of games
& possible loss of other high profile players, id say my expectations are around about the relegation dogfight area

I was trying to be optimistic.

And how :oops: would it be if Swansea and Bristol City joined us at the arse-end all season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Aug 2010 16:38

brendywendy of course, this could be the annual, or bi annual RFC have no money plea, in order to drive down price of our targets

I don't think that argument has ever held much weight to be fair.

Those we're negotiating with will have a pretty realistic view of our budgets and a little bit of PR in the local or national media won't pull the wool over their eyes.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 10 Aug 2010 16:48

We are fu cked. The back four is a train crash waiting to happen and with a choice of either Ingi or Pearce as CB we are going to ship goals. Mid-table obscurity at best beckons.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Aug 2010 16:50

floyd__streete
andrew1957 I hate to say it but I agree with the negativity about this. If we do not bring in another quality CB I think our chances of promotion are minuscule. This would be the most short sighted decision in many years IMO - as I think that with someone like Khiz on board we have a genuine chance of promotion. If we could agree a deal with Blackburn to pick up 50% of his wages (reputed to be £15,000 per week) that would cost us about £400,000 for a season long loan.

Massive +1 to all that.

I wouldn't mind us pleading poverty quite so much if Madejski wasn't talking out of his backside last week about promotion. You haven't put up, so you should shut the f*ck up.

This is a worrying moment finding we are in agreement about something. Next we will be sneaking off down the pub together for a beer and a chat. :roll:

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 10 Aug 2010 16:53

Manager is always going to say he wants to keep squad together, but what you want and what you get, certainly with Reading can be miles apart ...think if QPR come in with a bid (or an improved bid, if they have already bid!) - then McAnuff will be on his way ...and agree chairman needs to have some realism that ...if we have to sell the best players to "balance the books" then he can forget about talking about Premiership...

We were there, we didnt invest, and so we're not there anymore ....how can he continue to not invest and expect us to get back there???

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Aug 2010 17:01

If we were to sell anymore of our first team squad (ie those in contention for a place on Saturday and not the likes of Mooney or Davies) and didn't make any significant replacements then I'll be on the phone to the club asking for a refund on my ST.

I don't mind the club being run on a tight budget, I don't mind us losing our better players, I'll even watch us whichever league we're in and irrespective of how shite we are.

I won't let the club just take my money and bend me over backwards with talk of ambition though. The only way I can then display my displeasure is by returning my ST.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Aug 2010 17:11

We've not got any money to spend. And in other news, Pope still Catholic, bears still shitting in the woods.

Why the surprise and outrage?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Aug 2010 17:16

NR_Royal
brendywendy

Well no, but I'm not the one who owns the club.

but you expect someone else to just pour their good money down the drain.
rich people dont stay rich very long doing that

723 posts