Harte Signs

843 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Harte Signs

by ZacNaloen » 13 Sep 2010 12:38

rabidbee I think Long trapping a ball is more often by luck than design, but having seen the Germans hit the top corner of the goal with all of their penalties in 96, I don't think you can say that a penalty is _always_ scored through luck. A player on top of his game judges the weight and angle to strike a ball and hits it cleanly, whether passing or shooting. It's not the same thing as sticking a leg out and hoping it makes contact, is it?

I think Long's ability to trap the ball is often down to how confident he is in his own ability. I've just noticed that when's he's doing well he has a good touch, when he's on a bad run... he doesn't.

I also found it quite amusing that his entire game plan on Saturday seemed to be to play like Doyle. Not complaining though, cos it worked.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Sep 2010 12:53

Bit of a chicken and egg thing with Long's touch and confidence isn't it?

Generally not quite good enough, but on his day, like Saturday, can be very effective.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Sep 2010 13:04

I reckon he put some duck tape on his boots.....

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Sep 2010 13:07

Hoop Blah It's not luck putting the ball in the right spot, it's ability.

The only time luck really comes into it is if you get a ricochet off the keeper or a post or the keeper gets a decent hand on it. You could argue that the keeper going the wrong way on what appears to be a weak penalty is luck, but it all depends on why the keepers gone the wrong way or when the taker actually hit it.

The most 'unsaveable' penalties are hit hard and high into the top corners. They're also probably those with the least margin for error, but if you've got the ability to do it consistently you won't need any luck to have a good record from the spot.

I thought Harte's was generally a much better penalty than Long's, purely because he hit it with more power and what appeared to be more accuracy into a difficult spot for a keeper to get to.

Completely right - if it was purely luck, then there'd be no such thing as a successful penalty taker, but there clearly is. I agree that Harte's penalty was far superior - Long was simply lucky that the GK went the wrong way; with Harte's pen, the keeper guessed the corner, but it still went in.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 13 Sep 2010 13:23

ZacNaloen I think Long's ability to trap the ball is often down to how confident he is in his own ability. I've just noticed that when's he's doing well he has a good touch, when he's on a bad run... he doesn't.
He made a truly remarkable (ie. good) trap on saturday, stopping dead a high ball whilst holding off a defender. I thought he played well on Saturday, and he and the team seem now to be working out how best to use the 4-5-1 system. I think we'd all agree that his first touch is the worst aspect of his game, though.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 13 Sep 2010 13:37

Hoop Blah Bit of a chicken and egg thing with Long's touch and confidence isn't it?

Generally not quite good enough, but on his day, like Saturday, can be very effective.

Not necessarily, he could have been working on his ball skills all week in training and thinking "yeh i can do this", then he wins a penalty scores a goal and all that training pays off and his muscle memory does the rest. I.e he stops thinking about it.

When he's unconfident he could be thinking "gotta got this touch right" but because he was thinking his mind wasn't on the task and bang, he cocks it up.

It's the same with a lot of mediocre players, it's all about confidence in ones ability. It's no shock really that so many premier league players have massive ego's, self belief is part of why they are where they are.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 13 Sep 2010 13:47

It's a fine line between confidence and trying too hard - when a player's confident they'll do things instinctively, without any thought at all. When they're under pressure they'll be thinking that the have to get it right, so they'll take that extra mini-second to "make sure" - which generally means they're less effective.

That's certainly the case with shooting, when a player under pressure will often choke at the vital moment, or not take a half-chance in the hope of getting into a better position to shoot.

Long's confidence is probably raised because of that first goal, which can only be good for everyone as he's clearly very much a confidence player (ditto Kebe - he was way, way, better once he stopped being general scapegoat).

So despite having Harte as first scorer at 25/1 I'm still happy Long had the first penalty.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 Sep 2010 13:52

You got 25s on Harte? Hmmmm, who's your bookie?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 13 Sep 2010 13:56

Blue Square on-line.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Sep 2010 14:53

ZacNaloen
Hoop Blah Bit of a chicken and egg thing with Long's touch and confidence isn't it?

Not necessarily, he could have been working on his ball skills all week in training and thinking "yeh i can do this", then he wins a penalty scores a goal and all that training pays off and his muscle memory does the rest. I.e he stops thinking about it.

When he's unconfident he could be thinking "gotta got this touch right" but because he was thinking his mind wasn't on the task and bang, he cocks it up.

It's the same with a lot of mediocre players, it's all about confidence in ones ability. It's no shock really that so many premier league players have massive ego's, self belief is part of why they are where they are.

So it is chicken and egg then...

His touch is good because his confidence is up after working on it, or his confidence is up because his touch has been good.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Sep 2010 22:00

Ideal
Ferris Underwhelmed doesn't come close

+1

Ten thousand years old, hasn't been all that good for a number of years, was always defensively suspect and slow to begin with, smacks of desperation and is simply put relegation material.

Scored 2 goals in four games,
Kept three clean sheets out of four
Selected for this week's Championship 11

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Sep 2010 22:01

tilehurstender confirms what we all thought about any chance of a return for Armstrong

COUGH!!!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Sep 2010 22:05

Snowball
URZZ WE NEED A GOALSCORER FFS.

We need to stop letting goals in
Kish and Harte should help with that.

THREE CLEAN SHEETS IN FOUR GAMES

We need someone to score free-kicks. Harte should help with that.

TWO GOALS IN FOUR GAMES

We need our 4-4-2-style strikers to play 4-4-2.

PLAYED 4-4-2 TWICE, W1 D1 3-0, 4 POINTS

Job done.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Sep 2010 00:46

Snowball
Snowball

We need to stop letting goals in

TWO GOALS IN FOUR GAMES

Job done.

CORRECTION: That's four clean sheets in five games now

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 29 Sep 2010 01:19

Snowball We need to stop letting goals in

TWO GOALS IN FOUR GAMES

Job done.

To be perfectly honest, I don't see why you're trying to beat me on wisdom.

We STILL need a forward who scores regularly. It's nice Kebe is doing well, and our midfield scores the bigger percentage of our goals but I'd still enjoy a forward averaging at a goal a game.

For the record anyway, so what if you got those assumptions right, and I'm not as right as you... I'm not oxf*rd perfect, we all say things that turn out to be complete bollocks.

When we lost to Plymouth on the opening day of 2005 some of the things I heard were LOL'able, but I have the decency to admit, we're all fickle.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Sep 2010 01:21

I'M not fickle

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Sep 2010 07:48

.. and he's got the statistics to prove it.

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 29 Sep 2010 08:32

[

Snowball We need to stop letting goals in

TWO GOALS IN FOUR GAMES

Job done.

To be perfectly honest, I don't see why you're trying to beat me on wisdom.

We STILL need a forward who scores regularly. It's nice Kebe is doing well, and our midfield scores the bigger percentage of our goals but I'd still enjoy a forward averaging at a goal a game.

For the record anyway, so what if you got those assumptions right, and I'm not as right as you... I'm not oxf*rd perfect, we all say things that turn out to be complete bollocks.

When we lost to Plymouth on the opening day of 2005 some of the things I heard were LOL'able, but I have the decency to admit, we're all fickle.[/quote]

A goal a game? :shock: this aint fifa mate! that just isnt going to happen

Ryn

by Ryn » 29 Sep 2010 09:40

A goal every OTHER game would be pushing it to be honest, there's not a lot of 20 goal strikers at this level.

Ryn

by Ryn » 29 Sep 2010 09:40

And Harte's set piece delivery, so far, has been consistently shite.

843 posts