"One More Player"

259 posts
Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: "One More Player"

by Horsham Royal » 01 Sep 2010 22:15

MmmMonsterMunch We will never generate decent revenue streams unless certain risks are taken though - it's chicken & egg...
Fair enough point, but there's still the problem of arranging the borrowing to start with. If JM can't/won't provide the cash, the banks have to either to JM or to the club direct.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 Sep 2010 22:16

PremAddict When was the last time RFC made a big signing that everyone (or most everyone) thought was a great signing?

That's an honest question b/c I cannot recollect one in the past 5 years.

But I would have to admit that these loans and "signings" sound more like the dealings of a league 1 (or MLS) club than a Championship club looking upwards...

Halford
Mcanuff was pretty well received
Mills
Sidwell although outside your 5 years
Cant remember anyone moaning about Marek either because he sounded good
Lita
Even Halls was met with a majority positive reception because everything about made sense about it

They didnt all turn out well, but they were were all well received when we signed them

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Sep 2010 22:18

Mr Angry Whats so galling about all of this is, of course, that what Mr Mad is doing is MORALLY right; we have a financial black hole and its filled by selling an asset (and securing a good price for it as well).

Not a short term populist thing to do but hey, thats the sort of thing many many businesses are doing at this moment in time.

Meanwhile, we see football clubs who have decided that what they have to do is spend spend spend, with money they don't have, in trying to secure the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You cannot tell me that teams like Leicester, Cardiff and Nottingham Forest have the income to match their expenditure, yet they seem oblivious to the fact that they are digging themselves deeper and deeper into the financial quicksand that, if there was any justice in the World, will consume them at some point in the future.

This transfer window has seen a sad legacy of Pompey's survival; that other clubs have been reinforced in their belief that it doesn't matter if you are financially stuffing youself for the future, all that matters is the now. I genuine believe that had Pompey gone to the wall this Summer, you would have seen a LOT of clubs selling assets and very few splashing the cash.

I completely agree with this by the way. Trouble is will we EVER see financial judgement day? The day that all Reading fans eagerly wait for!!

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 01 Sep 2010 22:20

MmmMonsterMunch ... loan system...we are improving other peoples players for them & not building our own team.

That's true, but potentially for a smaller outlay you get better quality players than would permanently play in this div ... so better quality football and more wins ... so bigger attendances ... so more cash ... so bigger transfer pot for when we inevitably get promoted :-)

And all for less risk than buying the players.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Sep 2010 22:22

Horsham Royal
MmmMonsterMunch ... loan system...we are improving other peoples players for them & not building our own team.

That's true, but potentially for a smaller outlay you get better quality players than would permanently play in this div ... so better quality football and more wins ... so bigger attendances ... so more cash ... so bigger transfer pot for when we inevitably get promoted :-)

And all for less risk than buying the players.

Lets hope you're right but the gaping hole in our squad is upfront. Which PL teams will let their target men go on loan? Not bloody many!!

Blue Hooped Moose
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Blue Hooped Moose » 01 Sep 2010 22:31

Santa Cruz @ Man City. There will be more too...

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Sep 2010 22:39

Blue Hooped Moose Santa Cruz @ Man City. There will be more too...

Righto!! He is certainly in keeping with how we have historically operated signing wise!

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 01 Sep 2010 22:44

MmmMonsterMunch
Blue Hooped Moose Santa Cruz @ Man City. There will be more too...

Righto!! He is certainly in keeping with how we have historically operated signing wise!

He's in the 25 for Man City.

I'm sure we would have been in for him otherwise :lol:

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 02 Sep 2010 08:18

Gordons Cumming My prediction is that when Madejski eventually goes we will , after a short while, be wishing he was back.

Mark my words.

I've thought the same for a while now. I look at some of the chairmen in the game and think how thankful we are to have Madejski.

Blue Hooped Moose
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Blue Hooped Moose » 02 Sep 2010 08:42

rotherwick_royal He's in the 25 for Man City.

Bum. But you get my point. There will be more players available on loans this season, with the premier clubs more willing to send players not in the 25 to clubs in the Championship. Why shouldn't we take advantage of the situation?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 02 Sep 2010 09:47

Blue Hooped Moose
rotherwick_royal He's in the 25 for Man City.

Bum. But you get my point. There will be more players available on loans this season, with the premier clubs more willing to send players not in the 25 to clubs in the Championship. Why shouldn't we take advantage of the situation?

Because pretty much every other club in the division will be prepared to pay a higher proportion of the wages than we will, judging by the evidence of the last few days and the last few years.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 02 Sep 2010 09:51

MmmMonsterMunch
Yellowcoat Really MMM show me all these clubs that have actually sourced investment. Most of them have mortgaged their future against hoped for income. There is not a queue of buyers or banks or financial institutions looking to plough money in even though you still dream they will. Football has become riskier and FIFA and others will be applying more controls. The sensible clubs will not be taking a risk just so you can have something to brag about.

What's so wrong with a mortgage exactly?! I have one as do millions of others - I see it as an INVESTMENT too or is that hard for you to grasp?
Look at Birmingham, Wigan, Bolton, Stoke, Fulham et al they are doing just fcuking fine thanks.

JM is waiting for a mammoth payday.

Part of running a good business is trying generate decent revenue streams long term not just rely on getting lucky with cheapo signings & big fees from selling academy players. If you don't like risk then don't be a fcuking businessman as risk is inherrent in any business.

Birmingham - owned by Grandtop International Holdings Limited. Chairman is a billionaire.
Wigan - owned by Dave Whelan. Prepared to stake his own money, as he has some.
Bolton - owned by Eddie Davies. Not sure how much is his money, or the sucessful company he runs. So you may have a point on Bolton.
Stoke - owned by bet365. Makes lots of money.
Fulham - owned by Mohamed Al-Fayed. He has lots of money. Happy to spend it to ensure he has a public profile for political reasons. He sold Harrods for over 1.5 billion and I believe he got more than half of that.

So all those clubs are either owned by rich benefactors who are prepared to spend their own money, or are bank-rolled by other sucessful businesses. No big risk mortgages in sight. SJM does NOT have any spare cash to invest in Reading FC. 7m in for Sig. 4m plugs defecit. 3m in the budget for wages, loans etc. End of the day. Reading FC's future is secure.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 02 Sep 2010 10:08

Yorkshire Royal
MmmMonsterMunch
Yellowcoat Really MMM show me all these clubs that have actually sourced investment. Most of them have mortgaged their future against hoped for income. There is not a queue of buyers or banks or financial institutions looking to plough money in even though you still dream they will. Football has become riskier and FIFA and others will be applying more controls. The sensible clubs will not be taking a risk just so you can have something to brag about.

What's so wrong with a mortgage exactly?! I have one as do millions of others - I see it as an INVESTMENT too or is that hard for you to grasp?
Look at Birmingham, Wigan, Bolton, Stoke, Fulham et al they are doing just fcuking fine thanks.

Part of running a good business is trying generate decent revenue streams long term not just rely on getting lucky with cheapo signings & big fees from selling academy players. If you don't like risk then don't be a fcuking businessman as risk is inherrent in any business.

Birmingham - owned by Grandtop International Holdings Limited. Chairman is a billionaire.
Bolton - owned by Eddie Davies. Not sure how much is his money, or the sucessful company he runs. So you may have a point on Bolton.
Fulham - owned by Mohamed Al-Fayed. He has lots of money. Happy to spend it to ensure he has a public profile for political reasons. He sold Harrods for over 1.5 billion and I believe he got more than half of that.

So all those clubs are either owned by rich benefactors who are prepared to spend their own money, or are bank-rolled by other sucessful businesses. No big risk mortgages in sight. SJM does NOT have any spare cash to invest in Reading FC. 7m in for Sig. 4m plugs defecit. 3m in the budget for wages, loans etc. End of the day. Reading FC's future is secure.

Not quite. That £4m hole was announced before we got rid of Marek, Cisse, Henry & Rasiak. I estimate that the wages and fees for this lot, together with the wages saved on Sigs departure, is around £3.2m, so the financial situation is even better.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 02 Sep 2010 10:12

Yorkshire Royal
MmmMonsterMunch

Peter Coates does not bankroll Stoke, I can guarantee you that.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 02 Sep 2010 10:17

Seal Peter Coates does not bankroll Stoke, I can guarantee you that.

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has hailed club owner Peter Coates for his staggering financial backing of the Potteries side as they face a testing examination by title-chasing Arsenal tomorrow.

Stoke have published remarkable accounts which show they are externally debt-free, and with the Coates family about to increase their personal backing of the club to £41million.

The Coates family have already loaned, interest free, £17million to the club, and aim to inject a further £24million soon.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tony-Pulis-hails-Stoke-owner-Peter-Coates-after-club-announce-they-are-externally-debt-free-article336617.html

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Sep 2010 10:18

What so does he actually own Bet365?

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 02 Sep 2010 10:25

loyalroyal4life

What so does he actually own Bet365?

Wikipedia Peter Coates is a businessman from Goldenhill, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire who made his money in gambling (bet365). He is currently the owner of Stoke City Football Club and has been listed as the 25th richest person in British football

Wikipedia also The company [bet365], based in Stoke-on-Trent, is owned by Peter Coates, chairman of Stoke City F.C. and the 19th richest person in British football.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 02 Sep 2010 10:30

Wikifailia

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 02 Sep 2010 10:37

Seal Peter Coates does not bankroll Stoke, I can guarantee you that.

I didn't say he did did I? I said bet365 bankroll Stoke.

soggy biscuit Wikifailia

Indeed. Peter Coates only has 8% share in bet365.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/leisure/article6168746.ece

259 posts