Manager Backing?

Do you support Brian McDermott as manager of Reading FC?

Yes, absolutely.
63%
No. He was the cheap option and now we're paying for it.
4%
Not sure yet, he needs more time.
7%
I blame the chairman for not supporting him in the transfer market.
27%

Total votes: 132
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Manager Backing?

by brendywendy » 21 Sep 2010 19:26

Let's go back a bit and how about someone answering the question that Madejski and his supporters appear to avoid like the plague? Just how much money has he actually donated, as opposed to loaned, to the club to date

answered it before, and will aghain im sure.

1 million for lita, possible gift of asaba?
but id happily reckon that both were loans dressed up as giftsanyway.

so i reckon hes put in 0-1.5 million?

but as said above- he doesnt get any adulation any more- and what he did get was on the basis of an exceptionally brilliantly well done job, and delivery on promises made and not to do with money given away.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Sep 2010 19:26

Terminal Boardom Thing is, getting rid of BMcD would achieve nothing. Name me a manager who would want to manage a club where the owner declines to invest? As I said previousle, there is a danger of the club falling into an ever decresing circle. Players see that there is little or no investment which, in their eyes, could be seen as a lack of ambition. I honestly believe that BMcD is doing as good a job as possible under the circumstances. How many clubs realistically do well when they sell their one shining star and do not have a taylor made replacement, or a plan B to fill the void?

Another good post, If I was a player capable of playing for a top championship side or lower prem side ....I would NOT want to join Reading, they've got nothing to offer me. No ambitions to compete for promotion, no history, very low wages and a small club mentality about facing the " big boys" in the cups. No thanks, i'd rather join forest, leeds, sheff utd, qpr, derby,etc

Only types of people we'll be signing is league 1/2 players who can play at a higher level, unproven.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 Sep 2010 19:30

on the other hand if i was an exceptional young talent looking for an academy, reading is exactly where id want to be going, with our burgeoning track record of producing, developing, most importantly playing, and selling (for multi million pound contracts) our young players,

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Sep 2010 19:32

brendywendy on the other hand if i was an exceptional young talent looking for an academy, reading is exactly where id want to be going, with our burgeoning track record of producing, developing, most importantly playing, and selling (for multi million pound contracts) our young players,

Yeah, one season then sold when you start to play, get to use the club as a stepping stone.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 Sep 2010 19:39

im not sure what makes you think we are any different to any other team when a bigger and better club comes calling with millions in an envelope

ronaldo left man u
fabregas will leave arsenal
etc etc etc

etc

players leave clubs, get used to it. its sad, but they all go in the end. its just us who are here forever

fact remains, we will be attracting a much better class of young player here for years
which should do something to offset the percieved lesser ability to attract better established players

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Sep 2010 19:44

brendywendy im not sure what makes you think we are any different to any other team when a bigger and better club comes calling with millions in an envelope

ronaldo left man u
etc etc etc

players leave clubs, get used to it. its sad, but they all go in the end. its just us who are here forever

Wow, god awful examples. One's still there after 8 years or so, the other was at man united for like 6. Sig was there for at most a season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 Sep 2010 19:47

they all leave!

chill

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 22 Sep 2010 16:45

FiNeRaIn
brendywendy im not sure what makes you think we are any different to any other team when a bigger and better club comes calling with millions in an envelope

ronaldo left man u
etc etc etc

Wow, god awful examples. One's still there after 8 years or so, the other was at man united for like 6. Sig was there for at most a season.

The point is they wanted to leave when a bigger club came along. The number of years they spent at the club first is irrelevant.

Ryn

by Ryn » 22 Sep 2010 16:57

I like Maccy D. Witha little money behind him he could assemble a team that would challenge for promotion.

He's our best option at the moment.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Sep 2010 18:29

Still Hate Futcher!
FiNeRaIn

ronaldo left man u
etc etc etc

The point is they wanted to leave when a bigger club came along. The number of years they spent at the club first is irrelevant.

They want to leave when more money comes along

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 22 Sep 2010 19:12

FiNeRaIn
Another good post, If I was a player capable of playing for a top championship side or lower prem side ....I would NOT want to join Reading.... a small club mentality about facing the " big boys" in the cups.

what exactly is a "small club mentality" when facing the big boys in the cups?

Only types of people we'll be signing is league 1/2 players who can play at a higher level, unproven.

Thank god we didn't have to go down that route when Coppell was here. We'd never have gone up.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 15 Feb 2011 22:25

Ryn I like Maccy D. Witha little money behind him he could assemble a team that would challenge for promotion.

He's our best option at the moment.

Thing is he was brought in because he was the cheap option, and cheap is what Reading Football Club is now. McDermott wont ever get the sort of money to spend on the team that he would need. We're not even as strong financially as we were before we won promotion to the Premier League. At least back then we would make that one big singing each summer and then add some clever buys around them. Now we're looking at the academy to repeatedly come good, and it can't be that consistent. Plus we sell any asset worth any real money to the club.

The manager faces more losses this summer, and god knows what comes in to replace them. It's no good some saying "but what if they come good like Doyle did, like such and such did".. More often than not it doesn't work out like that.

We always had a settled team that was carefully added too, we had a mix of experience and inexperience. Before you know it we could have a relegation side on our hands, and that isn't really the managers fault, you have to question the lack of investment in the team.

Tactically though I do have doubts about McDermott, but again that comes with his inexperience and the chairman wanted a yes man who was grateful for the opportunity. I like Brian, but his inexperience and an ever-changing squad on such a tight budget could be a huge disaster waiting to happen.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 15 Feb 2011 22:32

I back him because I think a few bad results (well, points dropped in the last 10, some of which were against good sides) does not mean he's become a bad manager.

Then again he's been here more than a season now and we've not been promoted, so best be rid of.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 15 Feb 2011 22:39

roadrunner i like Maccy D. Witha little money behind him he could assemble a team that would challenge for promotion.

haha :lol:

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 15 Feb 2011 22:43

FiNeRaIn
ryn i like Maccy D. Witha little money behind him he could assemble a team that would challenge for promotion.

haha :lol:

Oi, Ryn wrote that, not me!

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 15 Feb 2011 22:52

I back him but he needs to start getting realistic with what to expect with the current group of players he has at the club. 12th position is a very good position for an extremely cheap squad. However, with a few basic changes to the team we wouldn't have dropped the points that we have

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 15 Feb 2011 23:03

It's not BMcD fault, once again Madejski fails to invest and what do we do.........slip slide away.

Oh BTW how are Leicester and Ipswich doing at the moment, well well quality loan signings in January seems to of given them a boost.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 15 Feb 2011 23:23

Tamworth_Royal It's not BMcD fault, once again Madejski fails to invest and what do we do.........slip slide away.

Oh BTW how are Leicester and Ipswich doing at the moment, well well quality loan signings in January seems to of given them a boost.

Ipswich are prepared to lose £12 million a year, as they have done for the previous two seasons.

And they are below us in the table.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 15 Feb 2011 23:46

I've never really been sure on McD.

After he took over from Rodgers I've always felt that he had it really easy. He knows the players, he could see the mistakes in personnel that Rodgers had made and from what I've heard signed 2 players on loan that Rodgers couldnt get in August (Khiz and Griff). Albeit I wouldn't disagree with the club's decision to appoint McD as he did a fantastic job last season. However, this season I think we're starting to see McD's own signature on the team now and how the team are shaping up.
Tactically 4-5-1 doesn't work without a quality player who can change a game like Sig could. We've tried Howard, Tabb and McAnuff to which neither has worked. On top of that, we've seen us resort to a more Coppell-esque style of "Passing", which is unattractive and predictable. Finally, the signing's he made in January are for me an indication that he knows we're not good enough to go up and is building for a promotion push NEXT season. Why sign 4 unproven players (if you include that canadian guy) at this level and expect them to adapt at the Prem if we go up this season. IMO they'll be replacements for Long and Mills come the summer.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 16 Feb 2011 00:13

Plymouth_Royal I've never really been sure on McD.

After he took over from Rodgers I've always felt that he had it really easy. He knows the players, he could see the mistakes in personnel that Rodgers had made and from what I've heard signed 2 players on loan that Rodgers couldnt get in August (Khiz and Griff). Albeit I wouldn't disagree with the club's decision to appoint McD as he did a fantastic job last season. However, this season I think we're starting to see McD's own signature on the team now and how the team are shaping up.
Tactically 4-5-1 doesn't work without a quality player who can change a game like Sig could. We've tried Howard, Tabb and McAnuff to which neither has worked. On top of that, we've seen us resort to a more Coppell-esque style of "Passing", which is unattractive and predictable. Finally, the signing's he made in January are for me an indication that he knows we're not good enough to go up and is building for a promotion push NEXT season. Why sign 4 unproven players (if you include that canadian guy) at this level and expect them to adapt at the Prem if we go up this season. IMO they'll be replacements for Long and Mills come the summer.

What Premiership team is gonna want Mills based on his recent performances? I'd be delighted to see him leave