The Defence

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

The Defence

by Snowball » 20 Sep 2010 15:22

Not thinking of a single game, but we seemed easily exposed at Middlesboro...

And we were badly exposed at Millwall

Leicester had a bag-full of chances...

We could have shipped 3-4 goals in any of those games, and maybe got lucky

We let in three versus Northampton, our GK was man of the match at Torquay...

We were close second-best v Palace (few clear chances) until we scored,
and Forest had plenty of chances.

Before the Boro game our defensive stats looked OK, but it's starting to look like we've been a bit lucky. It's not shipping goals that's the issue but whether or not the defense is all over the place. How many goals have we shipped where Mills has been caught out upfield and there are HUGE gaps at the back?

For me the discipline looks wrong, and maybe the way we are too gung-ho. For example, watch the first goal at Boro. We had space, easy passes, time to retain possession, time to frsutrate the opposition, but instead of the easy pass right we ping a long ball for Shane to nod down. He managed his part but it's still a "low percentage" pass and we let in a goal twenty seconds later when Pearce was TOO EASILY beaten.

The radio was bigging up Cummings but he has no "presence'. He may be there, but the difference between him and Griffin is immense.

I admit, I thought we were developing a sound defense and would build from there, now I'm not so sure. I think we need Kish in asap, and Griffin back, and I think we are missing Tabb.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Defence

by Hoop Blah » 20 Sep 2010 15:42

You don't mean that endless stats don't always portray the truth in a game of football snowball??? You do amaze me!

Our defence have been suspect though, and that's partly because the individuals (and I'm looking at you Williams and Cummings) just aren't good enough for this level and to compound that the partnerships within the back four don't compliment each other either.

If we get Griffin and Kishaznshvili into the back four then I'd expect us to be a little more resilient, but they're still playing behind a bit of a powderpuff midfield and a forward line that doesn't really hold the ball up, so they're on a bit of a loser aren't they?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 20 Sep 2010 16:07

A little bit more pace would be very welcome at the back whoever plays.

However, as to struggling, well Palace and Forest barely did anything against us, Millwall are causing everyone problems with their forward line - not just us - and I don't really think Leicester did all that much other than a mad five minutes towards the end when they were throwing everything they had at us.

So I reckon we're probably about average in this division

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Sep 2010 16:46

Hoop Blah You don't mean that endless stats don't always portray the truth in a game of football snowball??? You do amaze me!
Our defence have been suspect though, and that's partly because the individuals (and I'm looking at you Williams and Cummings) just aren't good enough for this level and to compound that the partnerships within the back four don't compliment each other either.

If we get Griffin and Kishaznshvili into the back four then I'd expect us to be a little more resilient, but they're still playing behind a bit of a powderpuff midfield and a forward line that doesn't really hold the ball up, so they're on a bit of a loser aren't they?

Same blimey!!! First Snowball post ever that doesn't include why Shane Long will score 30 goals in a season or some other stat!

As it is Snowbers I completely agree old bean. It was only a matter of time. To get the result they got at Leicester with the players (or lack of) available was nothing short of a miracle and this sort of result where they let a few in and are woefully exposed was only a matter of time. Whilst I've been a critic of his I think Adam Federici deserves a fair amount of praise in recent games because by all accounts Millwall could have been the same story as Boro.

I made the comment the other day, Cummings is like someone's 14 year old son that's been called up to his Dad's Sunday league side because they are 1 short. Rabbit in headlights, has absolutely no strength or presence and ZERO confidence. Doesn't offer the support that Griffin or previous right backs did as a goal threat and defensively whilst he hasn't done anything overly atrocious he's not convincing. I think he's way short for this level in all honesty. Pearce is your lower league stopper. Next to no pace, he can head it and kick it and as a 3rd/4th choice coming in for 5-10 games that's his limit at this level. Starting every game ALARM BELLS.

Williams in the games i've seen looks woeful although still early days, Harte is a good player but in an already ridiculously slow defense it worries me a little. He'll score a few set pieces this season but there are some quick and tricky wingers in this league and he could get found out defensively.

In short, Saturday has to bring change now. Khizinishvilli is a player that HAS to start games. He is far superior to Pearce and in all honesty probably better than Mills as well. He has to play Saturday and hopefully Griffin is also fit enough.

To be honest though to get the points they've got with a few obvious weak links in the side has been a pretty good effort!!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 20 Sep 2010 17:23

Where do people see Armstrong fitting in? personally I'd feared his career over but if he's getting through 90 minutes for the reserves then he has to be in contention. He was player of the season in 08/09 and I'd love to see him given a go in the near future ahead of Harte and Williams.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Sep 2010 17:25

Totally agree AP, and as much as I'm not a fan of Federici's I think he's had some very good games this season...although they've still been followed by his usual blunders, like the soft goals he played a major part in at 'Boro.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Sep 2010 18:49

Alan Partridge
Hoop Blah You don't mean that endless stats don't always portray the truth in a game of football snowball??? You do amaze me!

Same blimey!!! First Snowball post ever that doesn't include why Shane Long will score 30 goals in a season or some other stat!

As it is Snowbers I completely agree old bean. It was only a matter of time. To get the result they got at Leicester with the players (or lack of) available was nothing short of a miracle and this sort of result where they let a few in and are woefully exposed was only a matter of time. Whilst I've been a critic of his I think Adam Federici deserves a fair amount of praise in recent games because by all accounts Millwall could have been the same story as Boro.

I made the comment the other day, Cummings is like someone's 14 year old son that's been called up to his Dad's Sunday league side because they are 1 short. Rabbit in headlights, has absolutely no strength or presence and ZERO confidence. Doesn't offer the support that Griffin or previous right backs did as a goal threat and defensively whilst he hasn't done anything overly atrocious he's not convincing. I think he's way short for this level in all honesty. Pearce is your lower league stopper. Next to no pace, he can head it and kick it and as a 3rd/4th choice coming in for 5-10 games that's his limit at this level. Starting every game ALARM BELLS.

Williams in the games i've seen looks woeful although still early days, Harte is a good player but in an already ridiculously slow defense it worries me a little. He'll score a few set pieces this season but there are some quick and tricky wingers in this league and he could get found out defensively.

In short, Saturday has to bring change now. Khizinishvilli is a player that HAS to start games. He is far superior to Pearce and in all honesty probably better than Mills as well. He has to play Saturday and hopefully Griffin is also fit enough.

To be honest though to get the points they've got with a few obvious weak links in the side has been a pretty good effort!!

Good post I agree with this.

Few points to add though:

This problem has been obvious for a little while. Obvious to the management too who, to be fair, have as a result brought Kish in. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a fair enough philosophy and as the stats show our defensive record hasn't been too bad with Pearce/Mills so there was no reason to change it. But now that our luck ahs ran out, so to speak, or we've been 'found out',it is time to change and I have every confidence that BM will change things. In an embarrassing U-turn of what I thought of BM when he first joined I have to say I'm increasingly pleased with his approach: things seemed to be working with Pearce so he was kept in the team. We're now looking shaky so it'll change. All will be fine I'm sure. I'm really glad BM didn't jut throw Pearce out and bring Kish in. It'd have damaged his confidence and sent the wrong message to the team. Pearce is/was given a chance and he did ok with that chance and he can reflect on it. Well done BM.

Just another point to add a bit of context. The current view (even of Snowball the stat-whore!) is that the stats mean little and that we were lucky, but it is also possible to actually stick by the stats and say that this was a one off match where were were UNlucky. So even if BM doesn't change things I won't be too disappointed.

All in all I've every trust in Egg-head.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 20 Sep 2010 19:02

Despite my liking for the sort of approach we bring to games and McDermott's willingness to attack everyone and anyone, this does come at a cost. I can't remember a single game where we have looked like we won't concede since McDermott has been in charge. Up until now this hasn't necessarily been a problem due to the goalscoring threat we possessed, but now that we so obviously lack the goal creating and scoring threat that Sigurdsson provided it's going to expose the apparent "failings" of the defence more than it did second half of last season.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 20 Sep 2010 19:27

I was expecting to see a Snowball post along the lines of "we'll be Ok becasue we only conceed 50 goals a season so we will now keep cleansheets on 10 of our next 12 games to maintain that average"

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 20 Sep 2010 20:19

I said on the chat on Saturday, what can you expect with your second choice left back, fourth choice centre back and seventh choice right back playing.

We've got great strength in depth but we've got to start playing our best team whenever we can rather than just playing Pearce for the sake of it when we have a player like Khiz on the bench.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Sep 2010 00:27

Once Griffin and Khiz are in that back 4 I think we'll look a lot stronger. But even so, we're not going to be completely secure at the back until we get a strong, physical presence in midfield.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 21 Sep 2010 05:28

pea
We've got great strength in depth

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Sep 2010 09:58

handbags_harris Despite my liking for the sort of approach we bring to games and McDermott's willingness to attack everyone and anyone, this does come at a cost. I can't remember a single game where we have looked like we won't concede since McDermott has been in charge. Up until now this hasn't necessarily been a problem due to the goalscoring threat we possessed, but now that we so obviously lack the goal creating and scoring threat that Sigurdsson provided it's going to expose the apparent "failings" of the defence more than it did second half of last season.

Very good point indeed.

Attack is the best form of defence and can cover up a shaky defence.

Toothless attack on the other hand invites trouble.

Ryn

by Ryn » 21 Sep 2010 11:20

A good point.

Our attackers have to take a share of the blame by being woefully inept up front. Scoring goals takes the pressure off of your back line, and all the time that you have possession and are sticking it in the opposition's net means the opposing team aren't doing it to you.

Kebe is currently our only serious threat going forward.

specialjon

by specialjon » 21 Sep 2010 12:22

winchester_royal Once Griffin and Khiz are in that back 4 I think we'll look a lot stronger. But even so, we're not going to be completely secure at the back until we get a strong, physical presence in midfield.

+1

Any clue on when Griffin is back?

The OS is as useful as ever:

Andy Griffin - He picked up a hamstring injury against Portsmouth and is receiving treatment.
:roll:

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 21 Sep 2010 13:17

Clearly we need Kish in next game and Griffin back ASAP, but whilst we persist with a goal keeper who is regulary making mistakes and not claiming crosses we'll ship goals. Yes he makes some decent saves, but he's paid to do that. He's not paid to make mistakes and already this season he's cost us 3 or 4 goals.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Sep 2010 14:45

handbags_harris Despite my liking for the sort of approach we bring to games and McDermott's willingness to attack everyone and anyone, this does come at a cost. I can't remember a single game where we have looked like we won't concede since McDermott has been in charge.

I disagree with your liking of McD's cavalier approach, HH. For instance I was fuming during the last 10 minutes of the Millwall match where we replaced a recognised right back with a winger so as we could get another, inexperienced winger onto the pitch in order (presumably) to throw something different at Millwall in an attempt to win the game. Goalless with 10 left away from home in a season where survival must be the first and perhaps only objective, this left us in serious danger of losing this particular match aswe then lost all shape and sense of procedure in those closing stages. Ultimately we were very fortunate to come away with a very good point, no thanks to the manager's tinkering.

I worry about our defence. Our first choice full backs totally lack pace, as does Pearce. Zurab and Ivar aren't the quickest either and whilst Mills can be inspired he can also be volatile and an utter liability who will miss plenty of games through suspensions. And the least said about the goalkeeper the better.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 21 Sep 2010 15:32

floyd__streete
handbags_harris Despite my liking for the sort of approach we bring to games and McDermott's willingness to attack everyone and anyone, this does come at a cost. I can't remember a single game where we have looked like we won't concede since McDermott has been in charge.

I disagree with your liking of McD's cavalier approach, HH. For instance I was fuming during the last 10 minutes of the Millwall match where we replaced a recognised right back with a winger so as we could get another, inexperienced winger onto the pitch in order (presumably) to throw something different at Millwall in an attempt to win the game. Goalless with 10 left away from home in a season where survival must be the first and perhaps only objective, this left us in serious danger of losing this particular match aswe then lost all shape and sense of procedure in those closing stages. Ultimately we were very fortunate to come away with a very good point, no thanks to the manager's tinkering.

I see your point and agree with it, but having agreed with this single instance when else can you think of where we have made changes at level score and them not had a positive effect? Tuesday was a rare folly from McDermott my friend...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Sep 2010 17:33

To be fair you can't please everyone all the time.

Some ae going to like a more isky approach, some aren't. There are no rights or wrongs.

I happen to disagree that survival is our main aim right now - not at this stage in the season, so I'm up for a more aggressive approach and like what BM did. Especially given that the right back that was subbed off wasn't exactly amazing.

I suppose mathematically it is worth risking it in a 3point league system so that just edges it for me.

But as I say there's no right or wrong I don't think.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Sep 2010 18:15

I am fully in favour of risking defeat when searching for three points
but there are ways to do it.

Away from home we need to try to hold the ball, frustrate the opposition and quieten the spectators.

So the strategy for most clubs is to get to 21 minutes without conceding, THEN consider going for it.

But maybe Mc "knows" that we aren't really a good defensive set-up and our best chance is to grab the goals