Back from the Game - Barnsley

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the Game - Barnsley

by FiNeRaIn » 26 Sep 2010 19:06

It baffles me how portsmouth managed to sign 4 players on loan, we get one.

Kitson would have come back here in a heartbeat and funnily enough thats the exact type of striker we need, someone with a bit of know-how in the box and can link build up play. Should have signed him, poor from the club.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 26 Sep 2010 19:15

didn't exactly work out too well the last time we signed him on loan though.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Sep 2010 19:21

FiNeRaIn It baffles me how portsmouth managed to sign 4 players on loan, we get one.

Kitson would have come back here in a heartbeat and funnily enough thats the exact type of striker we need, someone with a bit of know-how in the box and can link build up play. Should have signed him, poor from the club.

May I just point out the £20k per week that Portsmouth are paying him. We are not going to pay that much for anyone.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 26 Sep 2010 20:13

Rev Algenon Stickleback H didn't exactly work out too well the last time we signed him on loan though.

Quite. Still getting Kits back on my loan might make for a harmonious dressing room.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Sep 2010 20:30

winchester_royal Why are people so desperate to play Kebe in the middle? :|

It would never, ever work.

That's a very blinkered opinion.

Firstly, he's in the kind of form that would make him a serious threat wherever he played other than in defence.
Secondly, we need someone of his ability to replace Gylfi should we wish to revert to 4-2-3-1 because Howard hasn't looked close to being good enough.

And, finally, having him stuck out on the wing makes it easy for the oppositiion to blunt the effect of our best player by doubling up on him; giving him a free role behind a lone striker would make it much harder to pick him up let alone be marked by 2 players and with HRK starting to look the part it has to be worth a shot.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Sep 2010 20:35

Woodcote Royal

Firstly, he's in the kind of form that would make him a serious threat wherever he played other than in defence.
Secondly, we need someone of his ability to replace Gylfi should we wish to revert to 4-2-3-1 because Howard hasn't looked close to being good enough.

And, finally, having him stuck out on the wing makes it easy for the oppositiion to blunt the effect of our best player by doubling up on him; giving him a free role behind a lone striker would make it much harder to pick him up let alone be marked by 2 players and with HRK starting to look the part it has to be worth a shot.

Can't agree Woodcote-he has hardly been nullified this season playing out wide and isn't he our top scorer?
It's just a shame that others don't always take advantage of the extra room that he being marked by two or more players creates.
He is our one star player just let him get on with it.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Sep 2010 20:42

FiNeRaIn It baffles me how portsmouth managed to sign 4 players on loan, we get one.

They might be a financial basket case but they're still getting £12m parachute payments whilst we had to sell to balance the books............................do Portsmouth actually give a sh*t about such things as solvency and paying their creditors :|

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Sep 2010 20:45

Victor Meldrew
Woodcote Royal

Can't agree Woodcote-he has hardly been nullified this season playing out wide and isn't he our top scorer?
It's just a shame that others don't always take advantage of the extra room that he being marked by two or more players creates.
He is our one star player just let him get on with it.

No problem that you disagree just sad that the potential advantages are lost on you.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 26 Sep 2010 21:38

I'm very glad to say, after yesterdays performance that Brian Howard will struggle to get back in the team. :D

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Sep 2010 22:17

We need to get some perspective here; that was an excellent win in the circumstances, but to think that it means we have a team that will get promotion this season is as wide of the mark as those post-Boro comments suggesting we would be relegation candidates.

We are obviously a work in progress, and if we could bag an 18/20 goal a season striker on loan it goes without saying that we would do much better.

BUT (for about the umpteenth time) the finances don't stretch to paying a single player £1M a Year, so unless we can unearth a Doylesque bargain, we have what we have. Therefore, the question is how do we best make use of our resources? We effectively have 4 strikers (Long, Church, NHunt and HRK) and so the call is which combination will be the most effective (or - if you like - the least ineffective)?

My view is that without Sigi a 442 set-up is better for us at the moment, due to the availability of the players we have, and I think that, whilst McD will start with the same 11 as Saturday (with Pearce for Kish) at some point soon he should try NHunt and HRK together.

Pablo

by Pablo » 26 Sep 2010 22:22

Good win and I thought Kebe vas really good.

I saw Gylfi in the stands yesterday :)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Sep 2010 23:13

Woodcote Royal

You think sticking him in the hole will give him more space? :|

I just can't see the benefit of moving him into a position where he's hardly ever played, especially now that we've finally got him performing consistently in his clearly preferred role of RW.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 27 Sep 2010 00:11

Not read the previous 5 pages so not sure if it's been mentioned before or not - Ian Harte played a cross field pass to Jimmy Kebe which was probably THE best pass I've ever seen by an RFC player

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 27 Sep 2010 01:35

Big Foot Not read the previous 5 pages so not sure if it's been mentioned before or not - Ian Harte played a cross field pass to Jimmy Kebe which was probably THE best pass I've ever seen by an RFC player

Not sure it's been mentioned but if it was the one in the first half then yes it was a amazing pass!

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 27 Sep 2010 08:11

comeonyouroyals
Big Foot Not read the previous 5 pages so not sure if it's been mentioned before or not - Ian Harte played a cross field pass to Jimmy Kebe which was probably THE best pass I've ever seen by an RFC player

Not sure it's been mentioned but if it was the one in the first half then yes it was a amazing pass!

Yep that's the one, looked like their defender was going to get it and then there was just enough top spin on the ball to take it beyond him and into Kebe's lap 8)

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 27 Sep 2010 12:47

Also last year, pre-MaccyD, Kebe would have missed that, taken a very heavy chance, or just spaffed it straight out of play, instead of beautifully controlling the wonderful pass from Harte.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 27 Sep 2010 13:11

Did you never see Simon Osborn play?

Ryn

by Ryn » 27 Sep 2010 13:23

Kebe is working voodoo magic out on the right wing and despite being double/triple marked at times, he is scoring goals and carrying the team; and yet people want to move him to the middle? :|

4-4-2 wide diamond leaves too much space in the centre of the park, especially against the current trend of playing 5 midfielders.

Only viable option if you really HAD to play Kebe in the hole would be the 4-4-1-1, play him behind Noel or Shane and give him a free role; but I still think that would be a massive waste of his dribbling ability, pace, crossing, and general skill in beating a man (or men)

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 27 Sep 2010 13:44

BR2

Did you ever see Darius Wdowcyk play?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 27 Sep 2010 14:00

BR2

Possibly, but I'd have only been 6 or 7.

Also, never seen a player marked by 4 opponents at the same time either. Kebe put 2 of them on their arse as well :mrgreen: