Help! Ex Player STANFORD circa 84'

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
skipper
Hob Nob Regular

Help! Ex Player STANFORD circa 84'

by skipper » 30 Sep 2010 20:02

I happen to be this guys Postman, and his mother told me he used to play for Reading.

I met him yesterday for the first time, and he spoke for ages about his brief time with us, claiming in the process to have scored our fastest hat tick !!!

But I can't find anything about him, and don't know his christian name...

His first start & appearance was in roughly 84' against Brentford or Bradford (forgot which now), he made a total of 14 appearances (iirc), which was cut short due to injury. His strike partner in that game was Trevor Senior, Reading went 1 nil down, Senior equalised and Stanford scored his hat trick in 13 minutes.

He's black, spent the past ten years living in Bulgaria, and is roughly 50 now, meaning he would of been around 25 when he played for the first team. Recently came back from 10 years in Hungry - not Bulgaria, like I previously stated!

He was a youth at the club, and played for "West Reading" where he scored 70 goals in one season. Prompting Maurice Evens to sign him up - pressure from local press at the time.

Is he telling the truth, or pulling my leg?! His mum telling me he used to play for Reading, out of the blue, without me prompting her suggests it's real - but I can't find anything on him!!

Many thanks!

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Help! Ex Player STANFORD circa 84'

by skipper » 30 Sep 2010 20:14

http://www.btinternet.com/~rfc1871/watn/s.htm

Ah - found his name here, Paul Stanford - doesn't reveal much more though - any memories from people on here?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 30 Sep 2010 20:16

Paul Stanford

A chunky striker, well knonw and respected in local footbal in the Reading area. Was asked to play for injury hit Reading against Brentford in a pre season friendly in Aug 1983, within 14 minutes he had scored a hat trick helping RFC to a 5-2 victory, won the mtachball yet never played for Reading again.

from Royals remembered book

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Sep 2010 20:34

Harpers So Solid Crew Paul Stanford

A chunky striker, well knonw and respected in local footbal in the Reading area. Was asked to play for injury hit Reading against Brentford in a pre season friendly in Aug 1983, within 14 minutes he had scored a hat trick helping RFC to a 5-2 victory, won the mtachball yet never played for Reading again.

from Royals remembered book

Ooh, can I have the isbn for that book please?!

Thanks very much too!! Yep sounds like the chap, apparently had an interview with M Evens after the game under the terraces in the office, which was no bigger than a closet, to discuss signing him on - which he did, and the injury finished him off. Had a long career in Non league. Doesn't look a day over 40. Really nice and genuine fellow. Thanks

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Sep 2010 20:50

Remember seeing him play for West Reading in the old district league - on the pitch in Prospect Park by the bowling green - he was pretty sharp

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 30 Sep 2010 20:51

The ISBN is 9781874427049. Pretty sure you could get it in Waterstones or WHS in Reading if you are in the area.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 30 Sep 2010 22:44

skipper I happen to be this guys Postman, and his mother told me he used to play for Reading.

I met him yesterday for the first time, and he spoke for ages about his brief time with us, claiming in the process to have scored our fastest hat tick !!!

His first start & appearance was in roughly 84' against Brentford or Bradford (forgot which now), he made a total of 14 appearances (iirc), which was cut short due to injury. His strike partner in that game was Trevor Senior, Reading went 1 nil down, Senior equalised and Stanford scored his hat trick in 13 minutes.

He's black, spent the past ten years living in Bulgaria, and is roughly 50 now, meaning he would of been around 25 when he played for the first team. Recently came back from 10 years in Hungry - not Bulgaria, like I previously stated!

He was a youth at the club, and played for "West Reading" where he scored 70 goals in one season. Prompting Maurice Evens to sign him up - pressure from local press at the time.

Is he telling the truth, or pulling my leg?! His mum telling me he used to play for Reading, out of the blue, without me prompting her suggests it's real - but I can't find anything on him!!

Many thanks!

Wot's a hat tick? Some bug in the scalp?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Oct 2010 08:12

skipper I happen to be this guys Postman, and his mother told me he used to play for Reading.

Many thanks!

Didn't Trevor Senior score a hat-trick in six minutes against Stockport ?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Oct 2010 08:15

Franchise FC Didn't Trevor Senior score a hat-trick in six minutes against Stockport ?

Yes, home debut as well I think. Reading won 6-2 in Aug 1983

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 01 Oct 2010 08:23

Is he half-cast (I know 'racist'). In which case I remember playing against him and at some point with him

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 01 Oct 2010 15:54

SWLR Is he half-cast (I know 'racist'). In which case I remember playing against him and at some point with him

Yes, but I do believe the correct term would sill be black, as it incorporates any colour other than white.

A hat tick is definitely a type of bug in the scalp, and not at all a typo... ;-)

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 01 Oct 2010 16:32

ISBN 1 874427 04 6

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 02 Oct 2010 11:59

skipper Yes, but I do believe the correct term would sill be black, as it incorporates any colour other than white.

Even if your green?

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1