Back from the game -Preston

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game -Preston

by SLAMMED » 02 Oct 2010 22:21

RFCUK
LoyalRoyalFan Were our fans in good voice?

I would have to say yes. Rarely a silent moment in our end. Really got behind the team. Preston sounded much like us at home, except they had a clapping sound from all stands as opposed to our North and East stands only.

To be fair to the West stand, they generate a bit of noise when they leave with 10 minutes to go.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 02 Oct 2010 22:26

Decent game I felt and we were far the better team. We dominated in large spells and both Church and Long played well up top. Jem bossed the midfield and scored a screamer whilst Armstrong had a fairly average game- I felt it really highlighted that we need to sure that midfield up. Obviously we have players out missing so hopefully we will start to look a bit better in that department.

Kish made a mistake but the certain fans really started to turn on the team after that which I wasn't too impressed with- we had bossed the game and made one sill mistake, some fans are so fickle. Their fans were shocking- 14 year old chavs who sounded so high pitched. They booed the ref at half time which I was astonished at because I felt he was fairly equal in his decisions- not the worst ref we will see this season.

All in all a decent and pleasing performance but we still need that goalscorer to push us on.

Federici 7- didn't have a great deal to do but was solid
Cummings 5- I might be being harsh here as he was up against Treacy who is decent but his positioning was poor. Not bad going forward though.
Harte 7- Very composed performance, deliveries could have been a bit better but some were really good. Good signing!
Kish 6- Not his greatest performance but still looked solid, dealt with Parkin well.
Pearce 7- Thought the lad had a good game today and has showed signs of progress which is a relief!
Armstrong 6- Good passing but tried to play the perfect ball a few too many times.
Karacan 8- Superb goal and really bossed that midfield, a few cracking through balls. I've always rated him and he's getting better which is very pleasing.
Kebe 7- Again a decent performance by Jimmy, esp in the 2nd half
McAnuff 7- Got more involved today, hit the crossbar and contributed more to the team
Church 7- His positioning and channel running is superb, didn't get many clear cut chances but if he did and was a more composed finisher, he'd be a hell of a player
Long 7- What has happened to his first touch?! I'm no fan of Long's but he played very well today which was pleasing.

Hunt 6- Didn't get much of the ball but when he did, held it up well and contributed.

Reading fans 6- Could have been louder but a decent turnout considering the distance for the majority of fans
Preston fans 4- Booed the ref for no reason apart from what seemed a blatant Kish handball in injury time. Bunch of chavs, only 10,000, but defo a nicer atmosphere than at Burnley!

elrey

by elrey » 02 Oct 2010 23:15

To be fair, I was sat with the home fans, the Reading support was heard from time to time. After their goal went in, it was silence. To say it was one silly little mistake takes away the other two silly little mistakes that could have put us 3-0 down after 30 minutes.

I watched the Preston Norwich match and the squeaky little kids even managed to get a norwich fan arrested, not sure what for, but they are a permanent fixture. The Preston fans were incensed for large parts of the first half with the refereeing, but a lot of the fouls the ref gave that they cried blue thunder for, were probably a bit of this and a bit of that and something had to be given, otherwise it could have ended up in a very aggressive match, and with that "striker" up front being twice the size of any Reading player....

Reading did seem to have the better of it, to a certain extent, but we just kept giving the ball away, time and time and time again. We aren't going to do well if that is the way we play!

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 03 Oct 2010 00:15

Probably would have won if we had any strikers of note. Although from what I could tell, that was a stone-wall penalty at the end. So you need to be happy with the point I reckon.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2010 03:30

The Rectum Crew will get wound up by this but most of us have been screaming about the lack of a striker for along time.

It's so bleeding obvious it's becoming painful.

It's a joke that we are looking to Harte (left back), Kebe (right winger) and now Karacan (midfielder) and possibly Mills (defender) for our goals.

What a fantastic nearly club we are, with some VERY good players, a manager who is day by day proving himself as a real gem, a healthy bank balance but with an obvious and gaping hole when it's clear all we need is a real finisher we don't have one and instead we have orgasms when we score our first ever striker goal from open play even if more credit should've gone to the midfielder who made it.

It might seem odd that this is sounding so negative when we actually got a very good point away from home, but when you see a gaping hole in the team and you know more than enough money is there to fill it (unexpected and unwanted money, therefore ready to pump STRAIGHT back into the squad if the Madman is to be believed about not wanting Gylfi to go) and you read post after post commenting on this gaping hole then you start seeing this as two points lost instead of a point gained. Especially when you are 2ww on a wet annoying Saturday night and you feel like a good old moan.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 03 Oct 2010 11:41

handbags_harris
And lastly, the moronic PNE fanbase was out in force again. 13 year old chavs to our right with one bloke in his 40's in the middle of them leading them on.

"Whose the paedo in the black!" classic

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Oct 2010 11:55

Stuka
handbags_harris
And lastly, the moronic PNE fanbase was out in force again. 13 year old chavs to our right with one bloke in his 40's in the middle of them leading them on.

"Whose the paedo in the black!" classic

You can't say that one here mate, he'll go to the police :?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Cummings

by brendywendy » 03 Oct 2010 12:35

Lol at people still moaning. We arent perfect, some areas of the pitch are better than others.but we are 7th.lost two games.and if karacan, pearce etc continue to improve with games we will only get better with time. Yes our strikers arent firing but if they still arent in jan we can get someone in. To say we cant make the playoffs does fly in the face of the evidence a touch

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 03 Oct 2010 12:44

2 world wars, 1 world cup The Rectum Crew will get wound up by this but most of us have been screaming about the lack of a striker for along time.

It's so bleeding obvious it's becoming painful.

It's a joke that we are looking to Harte (left back), Kebe (right winger) and now Karacan (midfielder) and possibly Mills (defender) for our goals.

What a fantastic nearly club we are, with some VERY good players, a manager who is day by day proving himself as a real gem, a healthy bank balance but with an obvious and gaping hole when it's clear all we need is a real finisher we don't have one and instead we have orgasms when we score our first ever striker goal from open play even if more credit should've gone to the midfielder who made it.

It might seem odd that this is sounding so negative when we actually got a very good point away from home, but when you see a gaping hole in the team and you know more than enough money is there to fill it (unexpected and unwanted money, therefore ready to pump STRAIGHT back into the squad if the Madman is to be believed about not wanting Gylfi to go) and you read post after post commenting on this gaping hole then you start seeing this as two points lost instead of a point gained. Especially when you are 2ww on a wet annoying Saturday night and you feel like a good old moan.

This is exactly how I feel. Don't get me wrong I'm very pleased with where we are after the first ten games, but we are desperate for another striker. A good lone striker should get about 15 goals a season but Shane Long has managed ONE in nearly a quarter of a season, yes he might work hard, hassle defenders and bring others in to the game but he has no end product and at the end of the day that is a strikers main job.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2010 13:00

Seventh after giving the rest a one-game start
and Boro, Millwall, Preston away in this six
could easily have been neel-pwan.

I don't worry about the striker(s) not scoring if the TEAM keeps getting goals and points.

There will come a time when the goals will come from the front men
and defenders/midfielders will dry up. A GD of +5 in 6 games is very
decent and would be a GD of +38 by the end of the season.

As long as the GD improves, I don't care who scores.

We are fourth in the form tables

1 6 5 1 0 5 1 13 1 +12 16 2.67 Queens Park Rangers
2 6 4 1 1 2 0 16 7 +09 13 2.17 Watford
3 6 4 0 2 2 1 11 9 +02 12 2.00 Norwich City
4 6 3 2 1 4 1 9 4 +05 11 1.83 Reading
5 6 2 4 0 1 1 8 5 +03 10 1.67 Nottingham Forest
6 6 3 1 2 2 1 9 8 +01 10 1.67 Swansea City
7 6 3 1 2 2 2 7 6 +01 10 1.67 Cardiff City
8 6 2 3 1 3 2 10 6 +04 09 1.50 Burnley

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2010 13:03

The commentary on the Preston game made it sound as though
Shane is becoming obsessed with holding up/preventing the defender
getting the ball and becoming less interested in actually going for the shot.

They said something like, "He's more concerned with the defender than the ball."

He's still learning the one-striker role, a role I thought he was totally unsuited for
but maybe Mac wants that and THEN he'll add in the turn and shoot part

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 03 Oct 2010 13:50

Mr Optimist
LoyalRoyalFan Were our fans in good voice?

I'd say fairly decent and think there were more than the 300 mentioned earlier, I thought it might be nearer 500.

Officially 447 there.

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Cummings

by Slinky » 03 Oct 2010 17:58

brendywendy Lol at people still moaning. We arent perfect, some areas of the pitch are better than others.but we are 7th.lost two games.and if karacan, pearce etc continue to improve with games we will only get better with time. Yes our strikers arent firing but if they still arent in jan we can get someone in. To say we cant make the playoffs does fly in the face of the evidence a touch

totally agree, from what i've seen of others we're a decent side just missing a goalscorer. We'll keep ticking along until that's rectified where we will cement our play off credentials.................

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 03 Oct 2010 18:01

Snowball The commentary on the Preston game made it sound as though
Shane is becoming obsessed with holding up/preventing the defender
getting the ball and becoming less interested in actually going for the shot.

They said something like, "He's more concerned with the defender than the ball."

He's still learning the one-striker role, a role I thought he was totally unsuited for
but maybe Mac wants that and THEN he'll add in the turn and shoot part

however he wasn't playing the lone striker role yesterday so had no need to continually face the wrong way and whinge every time he was tackled. Still think he's an ok player just got some seriously bad habits. Think we've given him enough chances though

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Oct 2010 19:23

Snowball Seventh after giving the rest a one-game start

I don't worry about the striker(s) not scoring if the TEAM keeps getting goals and points.

Last season Snowball you kept on about what a great goalscoring ratio Shane had and how he was unappreciated as a striker.
Now you are saying it doesn't matter who scores,now that Shane never scores.
Are you a spin doctor?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Oct 2010 19:37

Victor Meldrew
Snowball Seventh after giving the rest a one-game start

Last season Snowball you kept on about what a great goalscoring ratio Shane had and how he was unappreciated as a striker.
Now you are saying it doesn't matter who scores,now that Shane never scores.
Are you a spin doctor?

NOPE.

The manager is playing Shane in a totally different way
AND KEEPS PRAISING HIM as an unsung hero.

Playing Shane this way IS PRODUCING RESULTS. FACT.

Personally, I do not believe Shane will EVER be a"Jason Scotland" one-up target man.
Personally, I believe he is wasted playing that way.

It is ME (on this list) who has pointed out that Shane, trying to learn to play in
this "new position" might be losing the ability to play one of the two in a 4-4-2

(a) he isn't getting the chances he got last year (not his fault)
(b) When the chance MIGHT be there, his new way of playing is stopping him TAKING those chances. (His fault, short-term)

I still expect him to reach 10 goals for the season if he plays most games.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Oct 2010 19:41

I love the way Snowball always refers to HNA as 'this list.'

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Oct 2010 20:39

I'm sure Brian and his team will feel this break has arrived at just the right time.

7pts in 8 days is an excellent return but all those red cards, suspensions and injuries were clearly starting to take their toll on our patched up team.

Zurab's error for the first goal happened right in front of us and I have no doubt that, had he been playing for PNE he would by now have acquired a sly method of insuring that his opponent did not prosper from his mistake. As it was, it looked to me like he was too preoccupied trying to avoid yet another red card for his team. At the time I thought he might have been fouled but that was not the case.

Had we scored first I believe we would have gone onto win but we rarely get anything up there unless we're playing well so, taking everything into consideration, we should be very content with our point. We had some tired players out there in the 2nd half and when Preston went down to 10 men it was they who were pushing for the win, not us :|

However, PNE are very ordinary (which doesn't say much for Leeds United's defence :| ) and their fans are worse. Having won 4-6 in midweek less than 10k screaming northerners (Is castration at birth obligatory in Preston these days :| ) could be arsed to come along and support their team in what now amounts to a new stadium.

Had Jobi's shot that crashed against the bar been an inch or too lower things could have been different and it goes without saying that Kebe and Long will be nursing their bruises for all of next week. I'm looking to this lot getting hammered at the Mad Stad :twisted:

You have to love your team to spend all day on a coach or train in order to watch them play.............................and witnessing an exciting match has be to be viewed as a bonus!!! I 'll happliy settle for Jem's goal :P

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Oct 2010 21:37

Woodcote Royal I'm sure Brian and his team will feel this break has arrived at just the right time.

7pts in 8 days is an excellent return but all those red cards, suspensions and injuries were clearly starting to take their toll on our patched up team.

Zurab's error for the first goal happened right in front of us and I have no doubt that, had he been playing for PNE he would by now have acquired a sly method of insuring that his opponent did not prosper from his mistake. As it was, it looked to me like he was too preoccupied trying to avoid yet another red card for his team. At the time I thought he might have been fouled but that was not the case.

Had we scored first I believe we would have gone onto win but we rarely get anything up there unless we're playing well so, taking everything into consideration, we should be very content with our point. We had some tired players out there in the 2nd half and when Preston went down to 10 men it was they who were pushing for the win, not us :|

However, PNE are very ordinary (which doesn't say much for Leeds United's defence :| ) and their fans are worse. Having won 4-6 in midweek less than 10k screaming northerners (Is castration at birth obligatory in Preston these days :| ) could be arsed to come along and support their team in what now amounts to a new stadium.

Had Jobi's shot that crashed against the bar been an inch or too lower things could have been different and it goes without saying that Kebe and Long will be nursing their bruises for all of next week. I'm looking to this lot getting hammered at the Mad Stad :twisted:

You have to love your team to spend all day on a coach or train in order to watch them play.............................and witnessing an exciting match has be to be viewed as a bonus!!! I 'll happliy settle for Jem's goal :P

All day on a coach or train?
What is it to Preston from Reading?
3hours?
You want to try living on the South Coast and travelling to and from places like Middlesborough or Grimsby on the same day.
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 03 Oct 2010 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Oct 2010 21:38

I love the fact Reading fans are so quick to belittle everyone elses support, yet when some of us on here belittle our support or fans from other forums slate us, the old " I couldn't care less what people think of our support" line appears in droves. Makes me chuckle.

In terms of numbers, Reading's away support is pretty poor, in terms of noise its ok. Home numbers are fairly solid, however home sound is pretty poor unless its a sellout with away fans who are up for it. We have no moral high ground in qualityof support - other than the fact we probably have the lowest amount of arrests or disturbances than most other clubs in the leagues.
Last edited by FiNeRaIn on 03 Oct 2010 21:44, edited 1 time in total.