Hob Nob Regular

Re: Countdown to Rodgers' return

by Einstein agogo » 06 Oct 2010 14:25

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 06 Oct 2010 14:32

Rodgers and his sympathisers moaned at the time that he was starting to turn the corner when he was sacked, but in his last 4 games we recorded just 4 points and the last couple of games under his tenure comprised of a staggering 1-1 home draw against relegation favourites Scunthorpe in a game we entirely dominated and just a few days before that a quite horrific capitulation against a struggling Palace side.

Hi Snowball. Why pick four or even two games? So BR he put out a team that entirely dominated "relegation candidates" Scunthorpe (they didn't get relegated btw). What's wrong with that? It was an easy three points if golden boy Sigurdsson hadn't played like an absolute drain and spaffed away chances that even a hungover Wax Jacket would've buried. Rodgers' last 7 games were clearly better than the first 7 or the second 7 but with the egos already at the club, well, there just wasn't room for another one.

Yeah he talked absolute shit but the sacking was short-termist (comparing him to Leicester? - their incessant managerial changes have consigned them to endless yo-yoing) and the relatively decent performance of Brian McDermott is a purely serendipitous disovery on the part of RFC.

At the end of the day some fans just had it in for him from the beginning and were glad it didn't work out sio they could come on HobNob and make hilarious quips about the size of his watch.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 Oct 2010 14:39

Maguire the relatively decent performance of Brian McDermott is a purely serendipitous disovery on the part of RFC.

Well, he was with the club for a decade so it's not like they found him down the back of a sofa. I think it's fair to say that a failed ex-Slough and Woking manager has achieved no less in football league club management as Bumper Book of Soccer Tactics Hotline to Jose in half the time.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 06 Oct 2010 19:23

Indeed, you could say that Bumperboy's timing into going into the job after the best manager in our history was idiotic.
Someone had to come in, he did - I said at the time that he was too inexperienced (but isn't McD as well?)
But it was worse than transitional, we were on our way down, and as proved by another inexperienced League manager who followed, we were far, far better than relegation fodder.

bigwatchbumpersoccerskillsgivedoyleadossierwhenheleaveshotlinetojoseman.

Anyway, no one knows whether anyone would have done better than Rodgers did in his tenure, (I'm guessing that most would have done), but the fact is that since he left we are a much harder team to beat and things are looking up rather than down.

He' s not missed.

That's all I'll remember him by.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Oct 2010 22:20

Svlad Cjelli
floyd__streete I don’t share the view that Rodgers wasn’t given a fair chance at Reading. Although he also had to sell key players, unlike McDermott Rodgers was able to invest a good chunk of that money on new signings (Mills didn’t come cheap, neither did MacAnuff, Rasiak). 6 months in the job doesn’t seem like very long but the reality is that with 5 wins in 21 league games we were struggling badly and the much discussed budget shortfall would have been even harder to plug on crowds of 8,000 in League One because that is where we were heading. Compared to Sousa at Leicester and a good many more managers who have been axed after short spells in charge at clubs in recent times (Leicester themselves also sacked Martin Allen 3 or 4 years ago who was in the job for barely 3 months), Rodgers had a reasonable crack of the whip. Rodgers and his sympathisers moaned at the time that he was starting to turn the corner when he was sacked, but in his last 4 games we recorded just 4 points and the last couple of games under his tenure comprised of a staggering 1-1 home draw against relegation favourites Scunthorpe in a game we entirely dominated and just a few days before that a quite horrific capitulation against a struggling Palace side.

Rodgers would most likely have been afforded a lot more patience by the supporters if he didn’t come out with such horrific psychobabble guff in almost every post-match press-conference after the defeats stacked up; when you’ve just seen your side blow a 2-0 lead and lose to a hopeless Peterborough side you don’t want to hear about Chelsea and World Class Models. And the absolute mess up he made of the Tommy Smith saga by speaking publicly about the desire of the player to join us was probably the most enduring memory of his hopeless and frustrating spell at Reading. Perhaps he will go on and have good success at Swansea, the culture there probably matches more closely to what he was trying to achieve at Reading. What I would say is that only an idiot would have accepted the poisoned chalice of trying to replace our best ever manager, Steve Coppell. Brendan Rodgers was that idiot.

TBF, Rodgers did say publicly and privately that the job had come 2 years or so too early. It was his dream job and he had to take it earlier than he'd ideally wanted to because of the fear that someone else would come in and be successful and stay in it for years and years.

Nail on the head from both of you. Too soon for him, could be a good manager in the future, but a big failure at Reading.

Ultimately though, no matter how good a manager he turns out, he's still a total bullshit merchant, prick.

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 06 Oct 2010 23:38

Rodgers was left with a hopeless pile of sh*t by Coppell and Madejski. I honestly believe he did his level best to rectify this problem in the short term, while having a long term plan in place. He was sacked at a time when results were improving for reasons that are still not clear. He introduced Gylfi into the first team and played Jem in a holding role. He bought Howard, Mills, Jobi, Rasiak, Tommy Smith(well he was on his way before the move was sabbotaged) and Cummings. He also brought in Bertrand on loan, which turned out to be a great move.
We were playing ineffective long ball, fight football at the end of Coppell's tenure. When what was regarded as the best squad in the Championship, seemed to do it's level best to avoid promotion. The club then decided (that due to unforseen circumstances, loss of parachute payments, credit crunch, suddenly recalled overdraft, Chairman trying to sell the club, failure to attain Premier league football) to sell or release all of their best players. In comes Brendan, good luck mate.

I think he wanted to do the best for RFC, I think he honestly thought he was doing the best for RFC and I know that he was devasted when he was sacked. Why would any Reading fan want to abuse this man?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Oct 2010 08:18

Sir Rodger Doyle Rodgers was left with a hopeless pile of sh*t by Coppell and Madejski. I honestly believe he did his level best to rectify this problem in the short term, while having a long term plan in place. He was sacked at a time when results were improving for reasons that are still not clear. He introduced Gylfi into the first team and played Jem in a holding role. He bought Howard, Mills, Jobi, Rasiak, Tommy Smith(well he was on his way before the move was sabbotaged) and Cummings. He also brought in Bertrand on loan, which turned out to be a great move.
We were playing ineffective long ball, fight football at the end of Coppell's tenure. When what was regarded as the best squad in the Championship, seemed to do it's level best to avoid promotion. The club then decided (that due to unforseen circumstances, loss of parachute payments, credit crunch, suddenly recalled overdraft, Chairman trying to sell the club, failure to attain Premier league football) to sell or release all of their best players. In comes Brendan, good luck mate.

I think he wanted to do the best for RFC, I think he honestly thought he was doing the best for RFC and I know that he was devasted when he was sacked. Why would any Reading fan want to abuse this man?

Can't believe I'm uttering these words but I agree with SRD :shock:

Mags has it right in my opinion, that some people just had it in for the bloke and he couldn't escape the shadow of Coppell's successes which lingered over the club. In fact you could argue it was only the fact that Rodgers side struggled that has enabled the pressure to be taken off Brian (though that's no compliment to Rodgers :D )

Still there's no point dredging up the past again, I said more then enough in the aftermath of the sacking. I'll give him a round of applause as he served the club very well for over a decade and helped sign and bring through some of the players that are in our first team today.
Last edited by Wimb on 08 Oct 2010 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 07 Oct 2010 08:59

Sir Rodger Doyle Rodgers was left with a hopeless pile of sh*t by Coppell and Madejski. I honestly believe he did his level best to rectify this problem in the short term, while having a long term plan in place. He was sacked at a time when results were improving for reasons that are still not clear. He introduced Gylfi into the first team and played Jem in a holding role. He bought Howard, Mills, Jobi, Rasiak, Tommy Smith(well he was on his way before the move was sabbotaged) and Cummings. He also brought in Bertrand on loan, which turned out to be a great move.

Erm... I may be putting 2 and 2 together to get 5 here but you don't happen to wear a big watch do you Rodge?

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 07 Oct 2010 09:20

I enjoyed watching Reading under Rodgers. At least we got a win, and it was good to see young young players coming through. MacAnuff was on fire as well.

McDermott is better, but Rodgers was part of the reason we coped with the loss of so many good players. If there is any pantomine booing I will join in, but if he gets a patronising round of applause I would join in with that as well.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2010 09:47

Rodgers was not the right man at all. Was clear as daylight to so many of us.

Much as I've badmothed Madejski I'm delighted with his humility and balls to get rid of him when he did.

Madejski is an absolute master of a chairman when it comes to hiring and firing managers and for that I will always respect him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Oct 2010 09:49

Maguire
Rodgers and his sympathisers moaned at the time that he was starting to turn the corner when he was sacked, but in his last 4 games we recorded just 4 points and the last couple of games under his tenure comprised of a staggering 1-1 home draw against relegation favourites Scunthorpe in a game we entirely dominated and just a few days before that a quite horrific capitulation against a struggling Palace side.

Hi Snowball. Why pick four or even two games? So BR he put out a team that entirely dominated "relegation candidates" Scunthorpe (they didn't get relegated btw). What's wrong with that? It was an easy three points if golden boy Sigurdsson hadn't played like an absolute drain and spaffed away chances that even a hungover Wax Jacket would've buried. Rodgers' last 7 games were clearly better than the first 7 or the second 7 but with the egos already at the club, well, there just wasn't room for another one.

Yeah he talked absolute shit but the sacking was short-termist (comparing him to Leicester? - their incessant managerial changes have consigned them to endless yo-yoing) and the relatively decent performance of Brian McDermott is a purely serendipitous disovery on the part of RFC.

At the end of the day some fans just had it in for him from the beginning and were glad it didn't work out sio they could come on HobNob and make hilarious quips about the size of his watch.

Why are you addressing me?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 07 Oct 2010 10:01

Handsome Man McDermott is better, but Rodgers was part of the reason we coped with the loss of so many good players. If there is any pantomine booing I will join in, but if he gets a patronising round of applause I would join in with that as well.

You need to stop snffing Ajax.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Oct 2010 15:25

McDermott was left with an even more hopeless shower of shite thanks to Bigwatch and Madejski.

For your information Bigwatch's best wasn't good enough for RFC.

Laters.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 Oct 2010 18:37

I genuinely hope they play us off the pitch and beat us with our mong fanbase.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 Oct 2010 19:05

readingbedding

McDermott was left with an even more hopeless shower of shite thanks to Bigwatch and Madejski.

For your information Bigwatch's best wasn't good enough for RFC.

Laters.

How do you work that out? Rodgers had to blood all the youngsters and brought the likes of McAnuff, Bertrand and Sigurdsson into the team last year, our best three players.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 07 Oct 2010 20:27

Royalee I genuinely hope they play us off the pitch and beat us with our mong fanbase.

C,mon then who wound this lunatic up?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Oct 2010 21:03

SHORT AND CURLY
Royalee I genuinely hope they play us off the pitch and beat us with our mong fanbase.

C,mon then who wound this lunatic up?

Madejski, for sticking with the most successful manager we've ever had and for sacking a delusional prick too obsessed with his own hype considering he was seriously threatening to take a solid mid-table side down. Then appointing an ex-Slough Town managing scout who turned out to be far better than the afformentioned failure.

If Royalee hates our fans so much, and loves Rodgers, I don't know why he doesn't go support Swansea. It's not like he can have enjoyed the most successful period we've ever had seeing as it was all achieved by men he seems to have utter contempt for.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Oct 2010 21:40

Why as a Reading fan would you want any opposition team to beat us? You love

I won't boo Rodgers he was too inexperienced for the job and whatever the length of time he had he wasn't good enough. Imo it doesn't matter what the fans do our TEAM winning is all that counts and if you can't see that then you are the mong.

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 07 Oct 2010 21:49

2 world wars, 1 world cup Rodgers was not the right man at all. Was clear as daylight to so many of us.

Much as I've badmothed Madejski I'm delighted with his humility and balls to get rid of him when he did.

Madejski is an absolute master of a chairman when it comes to hiring and firing managers and for that I will always respect him.

:lol:
If you are an "absolute master of a chairman" for hiring Rodgers, how can you still be an "absolute master of a chairman" for firing him?

"I'm delighted with his humility, an absolute master of a chairman" Sorry 2WW1WC, this has made day. Thank you.
Last edited by Sir Rodger Doyle on 07 Oct 2010 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 07 Oct 2010 21:58

We know.

133 posts