Back from the game - Burnley Away

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game - Burnley Away

by RG30 » 26 Oct 2010 11:52

handbags_harris Harte got roasted by Eagles** ** What is it with all the raving over this bloke? I have seen this guy play against Reading for Watford once, Sheffield Wednesday once as a substitute, and Burnley on at least five occasions and he has looked distinctly mediocre every time

Eagles was moaning afterwards he could barely walk on both ankles such was the tackling/gameplan instructed by the coaching staff. It obviously worked a treat because he had been their best player in recent weeks.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Oct 2010 12:15

Snowball
Ian Royal Looked like he mishit a cross from the replays. He may miss a fair few chances, some of them easy. But Long's missed some easy ones too and seems to be involved in shooting chances less frequently. I like Church, even if just for comedy value.

This Season? When?

Last Season? How many?

Well I saw at least two headers that should definitely have been on target at the very least against Swansea. I suggest you watch the highlights that are available on the OS. They show plenty of disappointing Long misses.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Oct 2010 13:35

Ian Royal
Snowball
Ian Royal Looked like he mishit a cross from the replays. He may miss a fair few chances, some of them easy. But Long's missed some easy ones too and seems to be involved in shooting chances less frequently. I like Church, even if just for comedy value.

This Season? When?

Last Season? How many?

Well I saw at least two headers that should definitely have been on target at the very least against Swansea. I suggest you watch the highlights that are available on the OS. They show plenty of disappointing Long misses.

Not even trying to think of an example but one that is burned in my mind is his free header against Swansea that he should've put away.

Still, all strikers miss chances. What you go by is the open-play goals SCORED not missed.

Oh.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 26 Oct 2010 14:15

Makes you wonder what the average ratio of chances missed to scored is for a striker.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Oct 2010 15:17

RG30
handbags_harris Harte got roasted by Eagles** ** What is it with all the raving over this bloke? I have seen this guy play against Reading for Watford once, Sheffield Wednesday once as a substitute, and Burnley on at least five occasions and he has looked distinctly mediocre every time

Eagles was moaning afterwards he could barely walk on both ankles such was the tackling/gameplan instructed by the coaching staff. It obviously worked a treat because he had been their best player in recent weeks.

Early in the first half Harte was roasted?

Er, NO, actually.

Eagles looked to have beaten him for speed, but Harte gets a toe-in. Watch the Burnley TV to see it
and Clarke Carlisle points out that Harte wins the ball

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Oct 2010 15:19

ZacNaloen Makes you wonder what the average ratio of chances missed to scored is for a striker.

They are on the official site.

Gylfi, for example, got 20 goals but that was from 131 chances.

Howw Deadly? How wasteful?

31 ON 20 OFF 0 HW 12 Goals in 051 Chances 1 in 4.1 Jimmy Kebe (BEST)
24 ON 20 OFF 0 HW 09 Goals in 044 Chances 1 in 4.9 Shane Long
30 ON 29 OFF 4 HW 12 Goals in 063 Chances 1 in 5.0 Simon Church
28 ON 22 OFF 1 HW 09 Goals in 051 Chances 1 in 5.5 Grzegorz Rasiak
71 ON 53 OFF 7 HW 20 Goals in 131 Chances 1 in 6.5 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Oct 2010 16:02

Maguire Shock result of the weekend for me. I though we'd lose and we end up spanking them.

Obviously I didn't go but I can't believe anyone could complain about a 4-0 win anywhere, let alone at Burnley. Cracking result and i'd take that any day of the week.

Simon Church's goal looked like a suspiciously good finish. I'm not convinced that was Simon Church.

Smacks of Barnsley away 1983. We were doomed and they were top - banker away win then :shock: :shock:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Oct 2010 09:17

I don't remember details of a game from last week, let alone 27 years ago. :shock: Did you never smoke pot?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2010 11:05

Snowball
ZacNaloen Makes you wonder what the average ratio of chances missed to scored is for a striker.

They are on the official site.

Gylfi, for example, got 20 goals but that was from 131 chances.

Howw Deadly? How wasteful?

31 ON 20 OFF 0 HW 12 Goals in 051 Chances 1 in 4.1 Jimmy Kebe (BEST)
24 ON 20 OFF 0 HW 09 Goals in 044 Chances 1 in 4.9 Shane Long
30 ON 29 OFF 4 HW 12 Goals in 063 Chances 1 in 5.0 Simon Church
28 ON 22 OFF 1 HW 09 Goals in 051 Chances 1 in 5.5 Grzegorz Rasiak
71 ON 53 OFF 7 HW 20 Goals in 131 Chances 1 in 6.5 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Got any stats on great opportunities they failed to even control the ball in let alone didn't manage to get off a shot from?

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 27 Oct 2010 11:30

Have just finished watching the whole match on Reading TV. In the cold light of day I honestly tried to watch the game with an open minid but some of the things Burnley fans and the commentator wanted free kicks for were laughable although I suppose we do the same when we are losing. There were some very debatable decisions in the match but I thought just as many went against us as for us.

OK I have seen penalties given for the Mills Iwelumo incident although I honestly felt Mills got the ball. You can't see whether they should have had a pen when they alleged Griff was holding Thompson.
Pretty sure Church was offside for his goal though.

On the other hand - Cort should have got a red card for conceding the penalty and he could well have picked up a second yellow card before he actually did. Both those decisons went in Burnley's favour. The challenge by Bikey which injured Jem was a foul and inside the area. Even Clarke Carlisle who was the summariser admitted that.

For those that haven't watched the game on Reading TV the commentatary was from Burnley's perspective and they were impressed by us. They were slightly biased as you might expect but gave Man of the Match to Long followed by Tabb. The commentator actually understood the game, knew the visiting players and correctly assessed tactically changes. Quite a change from Dellor.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Oct 2010 20:16

Just enjoyed the full match online and a couple of beers.

First of all Peter Hood & David Armstrong hang your heads in shame. THAT is what real commentary should be like. Fantastic from the Burnley team. I didn't agree with it all but it was measured, intelligent calm and constantly focused on the game.

I think the score line flattered us, a lot. Whilst we were clearly the better side and in control most of the game on another day Burnley could have had two or three before we scored our second missing out on two possible penalties (although I agree with the Burnley man -Clarke Carlisle?- that it was a stonewall penalty for Bikey taking out Karacan second half)

Most of the game we struggled with the usual problem of creating clear cut chances, whilst Burnley struggled to have anything of the game but created several good shots or opportunities to score. As for the ref, some strange decisions and clear got a fair bit wrong, but probably balanced over the game and his discipline and control of the players was excellent, even if he gave a few things quite badly the wrong way. Intelligent reffing on the whole.

Federici - 8 not a great deal to do, but some crucial good saves to keep a clean sheet.
Griffin - 7 not to the standard I'd come to expect from last season, a couple of dodgy moments but good all round.
Harte - 7 a good performance, done for pace a couple of times but no real problems
Mills - 7 solid, but very lucky with a couple of decisions IMO
Khiz - 8 near faultless, a couple of dodgy passes and a slip is all he did wrong.
Karacan - 7 busy performance tidying up in midfield, seemed to be asked to sit back more than I thought he'd played recently
Howard - 8 ran our midfield well and exactly what we've been missing there, quick feet and vision. A good playmakers performance
Tabb - 9 suberb. Strong running, kept Cork really quiet and lovely interchanges with Howard amongst others. MOTM. A fantastically weirdly defensive display in an attacking midfield position. Not sure it'll work long-term, but well worth sticking with.
McAnuff - 7 really needs to work on his finishing but a well taken goal and lots of positives.
HRK - 7 exciting ability but doesn't quite play the final ball or have things come off just yet.
Long - 8 great work upfront, caused real problems got a good assist all the grunt work well. Doesn't look like ever scoring in open play.

Church - 6 largely anonymous but seemed to be asked to play in midfield (thanks Brian that cools my interest in him in the hole) but he scored - even if it was a skewed cross.
Antonio - 6 awful miss, good running and effort and a goal even I couldn't have missed.

McDermott - 8 lucky, but tactically absolutely spot on after being out thought by Rodgers.

EDIT: One thing we did a hell of a lot better than against Swansea was get men beyond Long and close in around him when the ball went up to him in the air. Against Swansea McAnuff, HRK, Long & Kebe were rarely near each other.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Oct 2010 14:14

Ian Royal
EDIT: One thing we did a hell of a lot better than against Swansea was get men beyond Long and close in around him when the ball went up to him in the air. Against Swansea McAnuff, HRK, Long & Kebe were rarely near each other.

Yes, and that's not Shane's fault. if he's played better and supported better we'll get enough goals.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Oct 2010 17:15

Snowball
RG30

Er, NO, actually.

Eagles looked to have beaten him for speed, but Harte gets a toe-in. Watch the Burnley TV to see it
and Clarke Carlisle points out that Harte wins the ball

Alright alright statto, keep your hair on! Somewhat desperate toe-end to the ball if I remember correctly otherwise Eagles was homing into the danger area along the touchline. What you have to remember is that I was remembering the incident after a day or so, and am still remembering the incident after nearly a week having not seen it again, but the overriding memory of that particular incident was Eagles skinning Harte for pace, getting around and past him only for Harte to get a toe end on the ball and put it out for a corner. Credit to him for doing that, and credit to him for being utterly unphased by anything else Burnley threw at him, but even though he won the ball and conceded a corner, he was still roasted, and it very nearly paid off for Eagles.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Oct 2010 18:40

handbags_harris

Er, NO, actually.

and Clarke Carlisle points out that Harte wins the ball..

Alright alright statto, keep your hair on! Somewhat desperate toe-end to the ball if I remember correctly otherwise Eagles was homing into the danger area along the touchline. What you have to remember is that I was remembering the incident after a day or so, and am still remembering the incident after nearly a week having not seen it again, but the overriding memory of that particular incident was Eagles skinning Harte for pace, getting around and past him only for Harte to get a toe end on the ball and put it out for a corner. Credit to him for doing that, and credit to him for being utterly unphased by anything else Burnley threw at him, but even though he won the ball and conceded a corner, he was still roasted, and it very nearly paid off for Eagles.

BUT it kinda proves my point about subjectivity and poor recall, dunnit?

And what's more, Harte gets a toe-in, robs Eagles, but it DOESN'T go out for a corner it goes towards the edge of the box, could have been nasty for us.

But a winger who is Premiership class IMO, at home, team on fire, DIDN'T, in fact beat Harte. Harte took the ball.

ROASTED, I think , should include the ball. If a player does me for speed but forgets to take the ball (a la Kebe two years ago) I don't think that's "roasted"

You agree, surely?

What we have is a 90 minute game where Harte DIDN'T get regularly beaten giving away crosses and shots? Is that fair?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Oct 2010 21:03

Poor recollection of the aftermath, good recollection of the incident. He got roasted once, but it's to Harte's credit he got back. I also think Eagles slowed to look and put a cross in but that's not detracting from Harte.

Anyway, what it rather proves is that different people read situations different.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Oct 2010 21:59

Sadly, the knee-jerkers who wrote Harte off just LOVE to read that Harte "once again" got rinsed by a winger, when in fact HE DID NOT

And we won (away) 4-0

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Oct 2010 23:46

Snowball
Ian Royal

Yes, and that's not Shane's fault. if he's played better and supported better we'll get enough goals.

Who said it was? I didn't.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Oct 2010 10:41

Ian Royal
Snowball
Ian Royal

Who said it was? I didn't.

Very true, Ian. Of course he didn't play anyway as he'll NEVER be a regular starter for a mid-table or better Championship side.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Oct 2010 11:30

Ian, talk me through your comment that McDermott was "lucky" and yet "tactically spot on"?!?!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Oct 2010 11:35

paultheroyal Ian, talk me through your comment that McDermott was "lucky" and yet "tactically spot on"?!?!

Well it's quite simple really. IMO we dominated the game looking much the better team, but Mills challenge could easily have been given a penalty, Fed had to make some good stops and Iwelumo should have scored when he failed to get on the end of that cross. I think the result could quite easily have been very different had Burnley got an equaliser before half time.

Until we got our second we may have been largely in control and playing well, but we weren't creating much in the way of convincingly good chances to score. Burnley had less of the game but created most of the better chances (pre-number 2)

Perhaps more that we as a team were lucky than specifically McDermott.