Mikele Leigertwood

830 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: Mikele Leigertwood

by No Fixed Abode » 22 Nov 2010 14:48

Typical average signing, probably won't offer anything better than Reading already have tbf - just bulk up on squad numbers innit.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 22 Nov 2010 14:51

Snowball Must admit I'd never heard or noticed the name before today.

???

Should we congratulate you on your singleminded devotion to RFC or be concerned over this lack of footballing knowledge?

He has certainly been one of the key players at Palace, Sheff Utd and QPR and with a name like that it should stick in the memory. He played at the Mad Stad only 8 months ago...

I'll have to take your opinions on Shane Long with a pinch of salt now!

he's pretty average though

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Nov 2010 14:59

Z175

???

Should we congratulate you on your singleminded devotion to RFC or be concerned over this lack of footballing knowledge? He has certainly been one of the key players at Palace, Sheff Utd and QPR and with a name like that it should stick in the memory. He played at the Mad Stad only 8 months ago... I'll have to take your opinions on Shane Long with a pinch of salt now!

So I'm supposed to recall the names of every player to have played against RFC in the last 2-3-4 years am I? Especially the average ones?

Exactly why? Why should I give a sh!t?

What percentage of this list could name the 11 players who played for Watford on Saturday.

There was a fringe-England keeper, Loach; the bloke what scored, and a massive CB. Why should I care about their names?

I can probably still name the Don Revie Leeds team, and I MIGHT remember the odd Reading player
and if you want a nice long chat about len Hill, Alf Sherwood, Chris Balderstone, I'm your man,
but average players from mid-table sides a season ago? Re-arrange the following phrase or saying

Gives a oxf*rd who?

Spud Gun
Location: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ...

by Spud Gun » 22 Nov 2010 15:14

andrew1957
Wycombe Royal The general consensus I have got from Sheff Utd, Palace and QPR fans is that he is very good at tackling. But not much else. His passing is mediocre at best and he goes missing for long periods of games.

Sounds like a poorer version of Khaliffe Cisse.

If QPR fans think he's a good tackler then he's already better than Cisse.

Why does everyone write off a player before he's even kicked a ball?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Nov 2010 15:19

andrew1957
Wycombe Royal The general consensus I have got from Sheff Utd, Palace and QPR fans is that he is very good at tackling. But not much else. His passing is mediocre at best and he goes missing for long periods of games.

except cisse couldnt head the balll, couldnt pass, and wasnt the greatest tackler ever either

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 22 Nov 2010 15:23

Spud Gun Why does everyone write off a player before he's even kicked a ball?

because were Reading fans..

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 22 Nov 2010 15:32

leww_rfc

Some of us still are.

JoebyRFC

by JoebyRFC » 22 Nov 2010 15:36

At least it can bulk up the size of the midfield as the height of our team is pretty poor

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Nov 2010 15:37

brendywendy
andrew1957

except cisse couldnt head the balll, couldnt pass, and wasnt the greatest tackler ever either

That's a bit picky. What about the way he ran out before the game? He looked great!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Nov 2010 15:57

Snowball
Z175

???

Should we congratulate you on your singleminded devotion to RFC or be concerned over this lack of footballing knowledge? He has certainly been one of the key players at Palace, Sheff Utd and QPR and with a name like that it should stick in the memory. He played at the Mad Stad only 8 months ago... I'll have to take your opinions on Shane Long with a pinch of salt now!

So I'm supposed to recall the names of every player to have played against RFC in the last 2-3-4 years am I? Especially the average ones?

Exactly why? Why should I give a sh!t?

What percentage of this list could name the 11 players who played for Watford on Saturday.

There was a fringe-England keeper, Loach; the bloke what scored, and a massive CB. Why should I care about their names?

I can probably still name the Don Revie Leeds team, and I MIGHT remember the odd Reading player
and if you want a nice long chat about len Hill, Alf Sherwood, Chris Balderstone, I'm your man,
but average players from mid-table sides a season ago? Re-arrange the following phrase or saying

Gives a oxf*rd who?

He's a pretty well known player by those who following the league. We've even been linked to him a few times in the past so most informed Reading fans will be more than aware of him.

If you want to compare the quality of our players with others in our league (which I'd say your posts would indictate you do) in an attempt to be reasonably informed on the football you watch and the prospects of the team you support then I'd say most fans would be aware of opposition players.

Informed opinions (or analysis) require an understanding and some knowledge of the subject don't they? That's why you might want to 'give a oxf*rd'.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 22 Nov 2010 16:04

That Friday Feeling
leww_rfc

Some of us still are.

I think hes a good signing so im with you on this one.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 22 Nov 2010 16:06

Not a very exciting or progressive signing but a decent experienced player who is the type of player we don't have at the moment. He also offers us some emergency cover at the back during a game if required. We have all seen him play a fair few times and will have our own opinions but let's give the guy a chance to show us what he can and can't do whilst playing for us.

Once McD made the slightly odd decision that he would only bring players in on loan with a view to a permanent move it eliminated the signing of a promising youngster from a Premiership Club and the likes of Gudjonsson and meant that any player coming in on loan would be out of favour at his current Club. Based on the Manager's criteria any such player would also of course have to be available cheaply for a permanent move in January. Therefore I never thought we were likely to bring in anyone to excite us HobNobbers very much and doubted we were going to bring anyone in at all to be honest.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Nov 2010 16:07

I think that it is a positive signing and hopefully BMcD will be able to get him to perform. We need some steel in the middle of the park so that we can impose our own style of play on a game. QPR bullied us for the first 30 minutes or so. We need to do the same.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Nov 2010 16:24

I've always thought Leigertwood (how do you actually pronounce it?) was a good solid useful player, nothing specatular but always consistent performer who puts some bite into midfield. Ideally I wanted him 6 years ago when Coppell was rumoured to be about to move for him. Also isn't supposed to have a little bit of pace about him (nothing Kebe like but pretty good for a centre midfield role).

Still desperately need a striker though, I think that's where any disappointment amongst us fans comes from on hearing this news.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 22 Nov 2010 16:28

[quote="andrew1957"]Strangest addition to the squad since Brain took over.

According to QPR fans he is off form and cannot pass. Just what we need then!!

should fit seamlessly into the team then! this signing is certainly not what i was hoping for.not exactly going to get the gate back up is it? :cry:

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Nov 2010 16:29

I must admit I confused him with Fitz Hall when I first read this. I think he should be a decent signing, certainly last season he played pretty well every game for QPR.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 22 Nov 2010 16:31

Jeffers217 What's the point in releasing Karacan when the lad is a defensive midfielder and should be staying in that position?! My hope is that Howard is off and this is a replacement. We are crying out for a Gylfi replacement/ some who can create something.

Sadly, I think it is Jem who will be off (cashed in on a la Sig), probably in Jan but, if not, then in the Summer.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 22 Nov 2010 16:33

Not a bad signing all in all.

With Mills suspended for Saturday and no Zurab at Watford (Was he injured?), maybe he will be drafted in at CB on Saturday and in future add a presence to the midfield?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 22 Nov 2010 16:37

Good signing, was at the norwich game havin' a bit of a moan as we have no tough tackling parky-esque players. Not saying he's parky quality but i've heard he doesn't mind getting stuck in

Give the bloke a chance, what's there to lose.

royal jonesy91

by royal jonesy91 » 22 Nov 2010 16:39

I think it's a good signing we lacked a big strong presence in the middle of the park to boss the game and let the mcanuffs karacan nd tabb more freedom to attack... But we do need to still sign playmaker/goalscorer...

830 posts