Long - time for a change?

810 posts
T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

Long - time for a change?

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 Dec 2010 20:10

Would have added this to the original thread but it appears to have been locked.

Another game, another two points spaffed away due to Long's inability to hit the target. His workrate up to the 18 yard line is unquestionable and often is performing a thankless task, however he is first a foremost a striker and a striker's ultimate role is to score goals.

It appears the cliched nickname of "Jigsaw" is currently the most accurate summation of his efforts this season in front of goal - 4 goals in 19 league games is atrocious (especially when 3 of those goals were from the penalty spot) for the "number one striker" at any football club.

No doubt Snowball will be all over this thread like a rash stating how Long is actually not going through a bad patch and that he's actually in good form, but the biggest thing for me is the number of points we have failed to pick up recently due to Long's poor finishing. He's missed glorious chances against Cardiff, Norwich, Watford and now Coventry and, as 2-0 alludes to on another thread, it looks more and more like we are going to have to settle for a season of mid table mediocrity.

Time for a change? Well, I certainly think so and I'd venture I'm not in the minority. Whether Brian McDermott agrees remains to be seen but I'm sure there's many a Reading fan that is hoping that Santa brings them an early Christmas present - that being Shane Long being dropped to the bench at Pride Park next Saturday.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Long - time for a change?

by roadrunner » 11 Dec 2010 20:20

Absolutely agree with all of the above, and yes a change is needed. However, we still face the same problems in front of goal with the lack of quality we have in strikers. Church and Hunt for me are a much better partnership, yet to be proved on the pitch, but Long has never been consistant no matter who he's played with, ironically looking his best when playing alone up front but yet still goal shy. Hunt will get you goals, we know that, and Church although still learning his trade does have good movement, and these two I feel would benefit from working together. Certainly more so than pairing with the ineffective Shane Long.
Last edited by roadrunner on 11 Dec 2010 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 11 Dec 2010 20:27

Change is well overdue. Can we get mooney back and give him a chance?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 11 Dec 2010 20:32

Snowball always defended Long by saying how many chances does he actually get. Well today he had at least 4 and he missed them all, in fact Westwood didn't even have to make a save.

There is NO defending Shane's finishing today, but the rest of his play was still a very high standard.
Last edited by Wycombe Royal on 11 Dec 2010 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Dec 2010 20:45

Listened to Radio Berkshire on the way home and even they were suggesting that Shane be rested.
Didn't hear the manager's interview but presumably he praised Long's work rate and what he brings to the team blah,blah,blah-what else can he say.
We are going nowhere whilst our two most energetic players (neither can be faulted on that score)cannot do their main job properly.
In Shane's case he doesn't score
In Jem's case he can't pass.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Dec 2010 20:53

In Jobi's case he can't cross.
In Noel's case he can't run.
In Jimmy's case he's lazy.

etc...

Long was, along with Pearce (where the fcuk have these performances come from btw? :shock: ) our best player today, and blaming him for our failings is a bit short sighted IMHO.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Dec 2010 21:04

Longy's too good for you

repeat to fade

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 11 Dec 2010 21:08

Thing is, we've now got two players who can play that role in the same team and we really need one of Long or Hunt next to a natural goalscorer. They can do their job perfectly but the manager isn't giving the right balance to the team by putting them next to a striker that can pop it into the net at the end of it all.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 Dec 2010 21:15

winchester_royal In Jobi's case he can't cross.
In Noel's case he can't run.
In Jimmy's case he's lazy.

etc...

Long was, along with Pearce (where the fcuk have these performances come from btw? :shock: ) our best player today, and blaming him for our failings is a bit short sighted IMHO.

As far as the 18 yard box - fair enough.

Inside the 18 yard box - don't think so.

Long is a striker and strikers are paid to score goals. As I said, I can't fault his workrate outside the box, but if he isn't hitting the back of the net then it's time for a change.

Additionally, my post wasn't just about today - it was about the previous four games as well. He's had enough chances to score but, and especially today, he hasn't hit the target.

Answer me this - how many saves did his efforts cause Kieren Westwood to make today?

And for those who say "Well, he creates the opportunities so he should stay on the pitch": Fine - then stick him out on the wing where "In Jobi's case he can't cross, In Jimmy's case he's lazy" play. Because if he can't hit the target (let alone score goals) then someone else needs to be given a chance.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Dec 2010 21:28

Don't get me wrong...I agree that if we want to challenge for promotion then we can't be relying on Long for goals. The sad fact of the matter is though, that at the moment he is our best attacking option, and we can't really contemplate dropping him until we bring someone into the club.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 11 Dec 2010 21:35

pea Thing is, we've now got two players who can play that role in the same team and we really need one of Long or Hunt next to a natural goalscorer. They can do their job perfectly but the manager isn't giving the right balance to the team by putting them next to a striker that can pop it into the net at the end of it all.

Totally agree with you. Would a fly half be in a rugby team if he couldn't kick?

It's his job and he isn't doing it.

Best player my arse. How many would marlon king have scored if he played for us today?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 Dec 2010 21:36

winchester_royal that at the moment he is our best attacking option,

But is he? Devil's advocate says how do we know he is the "best attacking option" if McD is relcutant to try anything different?

I doubt anyone on here expects us to go to Derby and win so why not take the opportunity to change things around? Who knows - perhaps a game on the bench might give Long's the kick start it undoutedly needs.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 11 Dec 2010 21:53

T.R.O.L.I.

But is he? Devil's advocate says how do we know he is the "best attacking option" if McD is relcutant to try anything different?

I doubt anyone on here expects us to go to Derby and win so why not take the opportunity to change things around? Who knows - perhaps a game on the bench might give Long's the kick start it undoutedly needs.

Why shouldn't we go to Derby and win? They're our equals, and coupled to that we have a quite superb record against them. Play the way we have been and with a bit of luck and some decent finishing (for once) and things might just turn into a 6 match unbeaten run...

But yes, Church and Hunt up front please.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Dec 2010 21:56

If we want someone cheap in January bug seems to score goals, step forward le fondre or Bradley wright phllips, because we ain't going to get anyone much better than that. Plymouth are in dire straits financially and need to off load him.

I feel for long. Works tirelessly but TROLI post is spot on and he is here to score goals.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 11 Dec 2010 21:59

bradley wright phillips?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Dec 2010 22:05

loyalroyal4life bradley wright phillips?

Just to help you out, we won't be getting Michael Owen, Nicholas Bentdner, or Adebayor for that matter. Certainly don't want any rejects from Championship so next best are the top scorers from league below.

Failing that Reading fans need to button it and back Long cos there is no other option certainly not Church!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 Dec 2010 22:07

handbags_harris
T.R.O.L.I.

Why shouldn't we go to Derby and win? They're our equals, and coupled to that we have a quite superb record against them. Play the way we have been and with a bit of luck and some decent finishing (for once) and things might just turn into a 6 match unbeaten run...

Re winning at Derby - perhaps I should have stated "with the strike force unchanged". You're right - there's no reason why we can't win up there, but with Long as our main striker I can't see it.

Hell, I'd almost rather have Robbo up front at the moment - as clinical as Long but at least he's got the "Savage haircut" to add the comedy angle!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 11 Dec 2010 22:29

I think Snowball has finally been silenced :lol:

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 Dec 2010 22:32

^ hopefully - although I fear an avalanche of pro-Long stats when he finally gets round to reading this thread.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Dec 2010 22:49

handbags_harris
T.R.O.L.I.

C'mon Hanbags, Church? His 20 min showing today was an utter disgrace. You cant reward that with a start. Hunt continues to be ineffective after 60mins.

Until we have options we have to stick with Long. He has still been the major factor in about 10 of our goals this season. Still enough to keep him in the side over the other options we have.

810 posts