Long to WBA

1376 posts
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Long to WBA

by Sarah Star » 05 May 2010 11:42

Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish is considering a £3million bid for Reading's Irish striker Shane Long.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

Re: Long to Birmingham for £3m?

by Messiah » 05 May 2010 11:45

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SELL SELL SELL

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 05 May 2010 11:47

Messiah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SELL SELL SELL

This ^^^^

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 05 May 2010 11:58

I would sell him ONLY if we can get a better striker like CMS,Hooper or Pittman. Scored important goals this season and has proved himself. Would be a waste to see him go just to lighten the wage bill.

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 05 May 2010 12:00

Royal_Delight I would sell him ONLY if we can get a better striker like CMS,Hooper or Pittman. Scored important goals this season and has proved himself. Would be a waste to see him go just to lighten the wage bill.

It wouldn't be hard to find a better striker tbf.

SELL SELL SELL.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 05 May 2010 12:07

CMS and Hooper are nothing like Long. Pitman is unproven even at the level below us.

As said on another thread, to sell Long we would need to replace him with a striker like Long. Not too many of them about.

We have learnt in the past replacing players is hard.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 05 May 2010 12:10

Royal_Delight I would sell him ONLY if we can get a better striker like CMS,Hooper or Pittman. Scored important goals this season and has proved himself. Would be a waste to see him go just to lighten the wage bill.

None of those are better than Long, Long is the only one we have that can play as a lone frontman, Pitman has no pace whatsoever so would be a replacement for Raziak not Long, Hooper we are never going to get and i didn't really like the look of CMS in our recent encounter with Posh.

But back to the point, I would sell Long for £3million. I actually think Long has been extremely good since brian took over.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 05 May 2010 12:51

W&E Royal

None of those are better than Long, Long is the only one we have that can play as a lone frontman, Pitman has no pace whatsoever so would be a replacement for Raziak not Long, Hooper we are never going to get and i didn't really like the look of CMS in our recent encounter with Posh.

But back to the point, I would sell Long for £3million. I actually think Long has been extremely good since brian took over.

Pitman is no slouch mate, he has decent enough pace but is not the same sort of player as Long in any sense of the word. Long is decent in the air for his size, will chase lost causes all day, and puts himself about. Pitman is more of a technical player, who plays better off of a target man, and scores more 'wonder goals' than tap-ins but won't run the channels as a lone man.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 05 May 2010 12:56

Thomas L'Heureux
W&E Royal

Pitman is no slouch mate, he has decent enough pace but is not the same sort of player as Long in any sense of the word. Long is decent in the air for his size, will chase lost causes all day, and puts himself about. Pitman is more of a technical player, who plays better off of a target man, and scores more 'wonder goals' than tap-ins but won't run the channels as a lone man.

Maybe, i haven't seen him, i was just saying what my old housemate used to say as he is a Bournemouth fan.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 05 May 2010 12:59

W&E Royal
Thomas L'Heureux
W&E Royal None of those are better than Long, Long is the only one we have that can play as a lone frontman, Pitman has no pace whatsoever so would be a replacement for Raziak not Long, Hooper we are never going to get and i didn't really like the look of CMS in our recent encounter with Posh.

Maybe, i haven't seen him, i was just saying what my old housemate used to say as he is a Bournemouth fan.

Ultimately you are correct with what you say mate, Long isn't like Pitman at all. I've seen similarities in Craig Mickail-Smith in terms of his work-rate, and Hooper is an out-and-out goalscorer which Long certainly isn't, he's more unselfish with his overall play. Sorry for being picky before though.

chandog

by chandog » 05 May 2010 13:02

please let this be true

and please let mr mad give the money to heston to buy someone like hooper

Royal_Delight

by Royal_Delight » 05 May 2010 13:04

W&E Royal

But CMS was in an extremely poor Peterborough team that was well beaten by Reading. Scunny are also looking to offload Hooper so I wouldn't be surprised to see McD to consider buying him. Hooper has been in great form during the latter part of the season and helped Scunny to safety. Hardworking player and will pressure and "go-in" at defenders to score a goal.

By selling Long for £3million , the club could really use the money to get the players they need.

Estimated prices of strikers:

CMS - free
Hooper - 800k - £1 million (Possible after we splashed £2 million on Mills last season?)
Pittman - Since Peterborough had a £600k offer rejected maybe a £650-700k could do it?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 May 2010 13:05

Shame it's just a rumour. I'm sure the club would bite there hand off if they offered that.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 05 May 2010 14:03

We are gonna play 451 next season, with hopefully the side built round Sig.

Who ever plays up front will have to be a loan striker who leads the line.

Hooper can't do that, CMS can do it not as well as long. Pitman can't do it. Maybe Noel Hunt could, but coming back from such a serious injury there is always risk.

Think people are jumping the gun in wanting Long out and are totally wide of the mark with replacements...

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 May 2010 14:42

Royal_Delight I would sell him ONLY if we can get a better striker like SpaceCruiser or Stephen Hawking or even that army guy who did the London Marathon with no legs

'greed

Royal_Delight

by Royal_Delight » 05 May 2010 14:58

Maguire
Royal_Delight I would sell him ONLY if we can get a better striker like SpaceCruiser or Stephen Hawking or even that army guy who did the London Marathon with no legs

'greed

Not my kind of players. Did not impress me when I saw them play last week. 8)

specialjon

by specialjon » 05 May 2010 15:00

SELL SELL SELL

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 05 May 2010 15:08

specialjon SELL SELL SELL

Personally I think Long's been quality this season, although £3million is a big fee and every player has his price.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 05 May 2010 19:49

Thomas L'Heureux

Personally I think Long's been quality this season, although £3million is a big fee and every player has his price.

I don't know whats more funny. Your ridiculous statement or this thread!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 05 May 2010 22:20

Plymouth_Royal
Thomas L'Heureux

I don't know whats more funny. Your ridiculous statement or this thread!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, I'd bite someone's arm off if they were genuinely offering £3million, but we've started mincing teams after switching to 4-4-1-1 and Long is the only striker we have who can consistently perform in that role.

1376 posts