Back from The game- Doncaster away

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

Back from The game- Doncaster away

by LoyalRoyal22 » 15 Jan 2011 18:35

Great display today by pretty much the whole team... opened them up time and time again, and the whole back 4 were class

my ratings

fed- 7
griffin- 7
harte- 7
pearce- 8
ivar- 8
kebe- 8
Jobi- 7
karacan- 7
Mikele- 9
hunt- 7
long- 8

Leighterwood my MOM, dominated the midfield and a fantastic ball for kebe`s goal

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: Back from The game- Doncaster away

by Kitsondinho » 15 Jan 2011 18:44

Just got back to Chesvegas, enjoyed it today. We played really well, but so did Donny in parts of the first half. Their passing football is lovely to watch, but they are so open at the back. We played some neat stuff, but weren't afraid to go direct, as is the MaccyD way! Kebe's goal was fantastic as Jobi's was funny! My MOM was Legs! Won everything in midfield today and seems to be improving his passing every game. The only downer for me was Hunty seemed to be back to his headless chicken worst. Only a minor moan though. Looking foward to the Hull game now!! If we play like that, we should give them a better game than at the K.C!

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 15 Jan 2011 18:51

Thought first 15 20 minutes we were poor, longs goal coming completely against the run of play, but take nothing away from the touch and the finish! After that we ran them ragged and was worried at 1 0'we weren't going to finish it off! Kebe's finish was class as was the ball from mikele and mcanuff was lucky! Motm today for me was ivar, never looked lile he had been out injured and marshalled the defence well. Don't think Feds will have any easier afternoons than that!

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 15 Jan 2011 19:01

Enjoyed that, great all round team performance. We were by far the best team making Donny look decidedly ordinary. Donny have lost at home once all season but when we scored they never recovered and there was only going to be one winner,

First 20 we were on the defensive and gave Oster far too much room in the middle. Donny played their neat passing game and it looked like it could be a long afternoon, However, the Kebe, Griffin, Elwood combination was fantastic all game and exposed their right flank time and time again. Pearce once again had a flawless first half.

The wind was strong and Donny continually overhit the ball in the first half. Holding the ball up in the wind was easier and Reading took full advantage with a calmly taken Long goal. Once again he was a real handful. Hunt battled gamely but was less effective.

Should have wrapped up the points early in the second half but Jobi missed out and again a few minutes later when he should have scored from Long's cross goal pass. Donny had a couple of shots on goal in the second half and only one on target, Feds had little to do.

The second was a gem of a goal, a beautifully weighted ball down the flank to Kebe from Elwood (my MOM) caught the Donny defence square and he lobbed the ball calmy over the keeper who was well and truly stranded. A third goal was no surprise as Elwood dominated in midfield and every Reading player worked ther socks off to close down the opposition. Jobi put in a really good shift and got the goal in the end.

Comic moments, their right back taking a throw that the wind blew into the stand. Our chants of 'we've got more fans than you' as a mass exodus of Donny ensued (by the end we really did have more fans in the ground than the home team!). Sullivan's kicking fell apart as he seemed incapable of allowing for the wind and took exception to some nicely barbed abuse from the Reading fans behind him.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 15 Jan 2011 19:05

Gutted to miss this one

As for Neil Sullivan, one of my favourite shouts from a Reading fan ever was at Leeds about 6/7 years ago when we got dicked 3-1. Sullivan in front of our away following and some fella shouts out "OI SULLIVAN, LOOK BEHIND YOU" - he turns around and said chap follows up with "IT'S YOUR FVVCKING CAREER"
:lol: :lol:

Second only to Jimmy Walker in terms of goalkeeping abuse pleasure

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 15 Jan 2011 19:18

You never would have predicted that result after a utterly poor first 20 mins or so, Donny passing round us and making several openings without testing Federici. The first goal came out of nothing and we improved steadily from then. Leigertwood was brilliant, winning loads of 50/50s and working the ball around. Long was good once again, never stopped causing the Doncaster defenders trouble and chasing lost causes - took his goal well too. We stepped up a gear after half time and looked like it was a matter of time before we killed the game off. Kebe took his goal marvelously, McAnuff deserved the fortune with his for his persistence. Downsides would be: a rather scattered performance from Harte, who continually stood off Coppinger in the first half and lost the man running inside a couple of times which came close to costing us; anonymous showing from Hunt - what a different prospect we would be with someone providing a real goalscoring threat alongside Long. Ingimarsson did pretty well considering it's been so long.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 15 Jan 2011 19:18

First 20 minutes poor,but the rest of the game was pretty good stuff.Shane long was CLASS, took his goal ridiculously well and battled for every ball.The rest played pretty well with kebe growing as the game went on.Keepmoat in a nice little ground, massive concourse but in the middle of nowhere!

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 15 Jan 2011 19:43

Kebe was so poor and yet so good.

He seems to either overdo his skills and never pass, or just fail miserably but he had two moments of utter brilliance today so fair enough.

Long is oxf*rd amazing, by far the most confident player on the pitch.

Again, Pearce looked great and Ingi did very well.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 Jan 2011 19:47

But how did we do for the first 20 minutes?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Jan 2011 19:53

very enjoyable but odd game

In the first twenty Donny looked like they would score plenty and we had no answers to their slick passing
A goal against the run of play changed everything and after that (well taken by Long) we had all the pressure and they hardly threatened
Very windy so it wasn't surprising that it was all a bit scrappy

L wood was outstanding for the third game in a row and clear MoM (tho odds of 25 to 1 of him scoring first seemed mean - I have never seen him shoot!)

And well done Brian as usual for coming right over to the fans at the end of the game

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2011 20:11

back from the radio :oops:

pearce ingi sounded cokmposed and dominant where i thought theyd struggle
griffin and harte mostly untroubled
legs and karacan again superb
kebe and mcanuff in and out of the game, mcanuff managed a goal, and jimmy set up one and scored a peach.
long unplayable again, could have won another ppen if hed gone down(and people say he goes down too easy!) while hunt played the foil well, great leap, and worked hard.

3-0 never out of 3rd gear, and if we continue in this form till february it will put is in great great spirits for the 3 tough games to come.
a decent tally from those and.............
well who knows, but its certainly far from dull at reading currently.

add in a couple of well placed buys, and surely we couldnt make 2nd?
probably not, but maybe

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 15 Jan 2011 20:12

This is what a Donny fan thought.
Fair play to him.

As people should know by now, I won't watch the game through the blinkered eyes of many. I'll tell it exactly as I see it and won't pull any punches.

Today, for me, was one of the very few times Sean O'Driscoll has got it tactically wrong in his reign as Rovers manager. And before anyone goes calling for his head, just think about how few times he has got it tactically wrong in his 200+ games as manager.

Playing five at the back hindered Rovers more than it helped them and if the plan was to contain Reading, then O'Driscoll's side totally failed in their task. It cannot be denied that the team had a shocking performance collectively, but this is sometimes what happens in football. Today, from a Rovers perspective, it was a bad day and the office and they just happened to come up against a quality side like Reading, who are totally capable of humiliating any side on their day - especially with exceptional talents like Jimmy Kebe and Shane Long in their side.

I know some Rovers fans like to spout bile towards their own players when they lose, but trust me, it is no disgrace to lose to a very good, and very well organised team. The Royals kept their discipline all afternoon, defended well and kept their shape and structure at all times.

Just think back to the rare times that Rovers had the ball in the Reading half and then think to the great shape and level defensive line that Reading maintained all afternoon. The Royals were fantastic!

There is no doubt for me that Reading deserved to win the game - and win it comfortably. However, I find it ironic that the one time that Rovers broke past the Reading defence, they should have had a penalty. Ingimarsson clearly handled the ball in the area; it really was clearly cut. I don't quite know how, or why, the referee hasn't given it, but it was a penalty. Rather than criticise the referee who made a mistake here though, I think the FA need to look at incidents like this and get some consistency within the game. Some referees would give it, others wouldn't. Where is the consistency?

Overall, I don't think people should get too carried away with today's result or performance. The better team won by a mile, but Rovers had a bad day at the office. There were some poor individual errors which didn't help the Rovers cause either, but whilst O'Driscoll got it wrong this afternoon he will sure as hell get it right again on more occasions than not in the future.

If any Reading fans happen to read this, your best players today were Jimmy Kebe, who absolutely outstanding, followed by Jobi McAnuff and Shane Long. Also a lot of credit has to go to Jem Karacan and Mikele Leigertwood who did very well in the middle of the park, doing the dirty work. I'm not too sure on the long ball you played quite often - I think passing football suits you far better. And finally, Noel Hunt? He was poor for you today and couldn't get into a game that your team totally dominated!

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?opt ... &id=134691

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Jan 2011 20:25

SHORT AND CURLY This is what a Donny fan thought.
Fair play to him.

As people should know by now, I won't watch the game through the blinkered eyes of many. I'll tell it exactly as I see it and won't pull any punches.

Today, for me, was one of the very few times Sean O'Driscoll has got it tactically wrong in his reign as Rovers manager. And before anyone goes calling for his head, just think about how few times he has got it tactically wrong in his 200+ games as manager.

Playing five at the back hindered Rovers more than it helped them and if the plan was to contain Reading, then O'Driscoll's side totally failed in their task. It cannot be denied that the team had a shocking performance collectively, but this is sometimes what happens in football. Today, from a Rovers perspective, it was a bad day and the office and they just happened to come up against a quality side like Reading, who are totally capable of humiliating any side on their day - especially with exceptional talents like Jimmy Kebe and Shane Long in their side.

I know some Rovers fans like to spout bile towards their own players when they lose, but trust me, it is no disgrace to lose to a very good, and very well organised team. The Royals kept their discipline all afternoon, defended well and kept their shape and structure at all times.

Just think back to the rare times that Rovers had the ball in the Reading half and then think to the great shape and level defensive line that Reading maintained all afternoon. The Royals were fantastic!

There is no doubt for me that Reading deserved to win the game - and win it comfortably. However, I find it ironic that the one time that Rovers broke past the Reading defence, they should have had a penalty. Ingimarsson clearly handled the ball in the area; it really was clearly cut. I don't quite know how, or why, the referee hasn't given it, but it was a penalty. Rather than criticise the referee who made a mistake here though, I think the FA need to look at incidents like this and get some consistency within the game. Some referees would give it, others wouldn't. Where is the consistency?

Overall, I don't think people should get too carried away with today's result or performance. The better team won by a mile, but Rovers had a bad day at the office. There were some poor individual errors which didn't help the Rovers cause either, but whilst O'Driscoll got it wrong this afternoon he will sure as hell get it right again on more occasions than not in the future.

If any Reading fans happen to read this, your best players today were Jimmy Kebe, who absolutely outstanding, followed by Jobi McAnuff and Shane Long. Also a lot of credit has to go to Jem Karacan and Mikele Leigertwood who did very well in the middle of the park, doing the dirty work. I'm not too sure on the long ball you played quite often - I think passing football suits you far better. And finally, Noel Hunt? He was poor for you today and couldn't get into a game that your team totally dominated!

not sure about the penalty claim but otherwise pretty fair analysis
And he's right about Hunt - really looks out of sorts

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 15 Jan 2011 20:28

bcubed not sure about the penalty claim but otherwise pretty fair analysis

O'Driscoll says it was definitely ball to hand and not penalty for him, but also bemoaned the lack of consistency in dealing with such incidents.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 15 Jan 2011 20:30

Seems like a generous response from the Donny fan. Not sure we can humiliate any club on our day. I think Barca are safe for now.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 15 Jan 2011 20:36

The Donny fan is almost bang on. Hunt was poor and Kebe was fantastic in parts of the game. I think we tend to forget how other teams view Kebe. At times Rovers had 3 players around him and he still kept the ball. Their defenders looked terrified whenever he got hold of the ball. He may drive us all nuts with his inconsistent nature but he scares the sh*t out of the teams we play!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 15 Jan 2011 20:38

Re the penalty - BBCRB were convinced that Long would have won a penalty in the first half had he gone down rather than staying on his feet - can anyone who went today confirm if this was the case?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 15 Jan 2011 20:53

bcubed
SHORT AND CURLY This is what a Donny fan thought.
Fair play to him.

not sure about the penalty claim but otherwise pretty fair analysis
And he's right about Hunt - really looks out of sorts

Hunt went down under pressure really easily but didn't move at first when down. Clearly in a great deal of pain when his left knee gave up on him. Pausing and clutching at his knee before walking of was not a good sign. Is he going to have a repeat of his previous injury.

Oh and the Donny fan - Very magmanimous in defeat with a very well written post.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 15 Jan 2011 21:17

UpNorth Enjoyed that, great all round team performance. We were by far the best team making Donny look decidedly ordinary. Donny have lost at home once all season but when we scored they never recovered and there was only going to be one winner,

First 20 we were on the defensive and gave Oster far too much room in the middle. Donny played their neat passing game and it looked like it could be a long afternoon, However, the Kebe, Griffin, Elwood combination was fantastic all game and exposed their right flank time and time again. Pearce once again had a flawless first half.

The wind was strong and Donny continually overhit the ball in the first half. Holding the ball up in the wind was easier and Reading took full advantage with a calmly taken Long goal. Once again he was a real handful. Hunt battled gamely but was less effective.

Should have wrapped up the points early in the second half but Jobi missed out and again a few minutes later when he should have scored from Long's cross goal pass. Donny had a couple of shots on goal in the second half and only one on target, Feds had little to do.

The second was a gem of a goal, a beautifully weighted ball down the flank to Kebe from Elwood (my MOM) caught the Donny defence square and he lobbed the ball calmy over the keeper who was well and truly stranded. A third goal was no surprise as Elwood dominated in midfield and every Reading player worked ther socks off to close down the opposition. Jobi put in a really good shift and got the goal in the end.

Comic moments, their right back taking a throw that the wind blew into the stand. Our chants of 'we've got more fans than you' as a mass exodus of Donny ensued (by the end we really did have more fans in the ground than the home team!). Sullivan's kicking fell apart as he seemed incapable of allowing for the wind and took exception to some nicely barbed abuse from the Reading fans behind him.

Agree with all of that.

Really enjoyed the game, once we scored we were completely in control, passing improved and the spirit in the team looked very good.

As pointed out above, the attempted throw in by the Donny player and three or four sliced kicks into the wind by Sullivan added to the entertainment value.

I think that if we're to mount a serious challenge then another striker and winger would be great, we'd look awfully short of attacking threat without Kebe and/or Long.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 15 Jan 2011 21:31

A very flattering post by the Donny fan - not sure we're actually quite as good as he/she thinks we are.