Anyone else think we will WIN!!!

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

Anyone else think we will WIN!!!

by The Prisoner » 24 May 2011 18:18

Forget the league....this is effectively a one off cup game now!

Who'd back against a BMc team in a one off game?

Pressure all on Swansea IMO

Bring it on baby! Can't wait!!!!!!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Anyone else think we will WIN!!!

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 May 2011 18:22

tickets all sorted matey??

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 24 May 2011 18:23

Harpers So Solid Crew tickets all sorted matey??

Yes! Arrived today!!!! You are a legend! Thanks again :D :D

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 24 May 2011 18:23

The Prisoner Pressure all on Swansea IMO

Is it? I think our players are just as likely to freeze on the big day as theirs are. I guess there is some vague degree of expectation on the team finishing 3rd, but they have the psychological advantage of two wins to nil against us during the league season, so they will be confident that we are very beatable if they get their good passing game together against us. Not that two league wins against us did Tranmere any good in '95, mind 8)

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 May 2011 18:26

The Prisoner
Harpers So Solid Crew tickets all sorted matey??

Yes! Arrived today!!!! You are a legend! Thanks again :D :D

glad could help a fellow fan. saw that things had glitched a bit, and was hoping it all got sorted.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 24 May 2011 18:27

I think we will...or at least have a great shout at it. I think our recent trips to Goodison, Eastlands and Anfield will help us immensely in dealing with the pressure. Plus we are the more in-form team currently.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 24 May 2011 18:29

floyd__streete
The Prisoner Pressure all on Swansea IMO

Is it? I think our players are just as likely to freeze on the big day as theirs are. I guess there is some vague degree of expectation on the team finishing 3rd, but they have the psychological advantage of two wins to nil against us during the league season, so they will be confident that we are very beatable if they get their good passing game together against us. Not that two league wins against us did Tranmere any good in '95, mind 8)

Sorry! Should have mentioned in the OP that this is a mindless optimism thread. No room for rationale debate and well thought out counter argument :lol:

FWIW I just have a feeling that our cup adventures will see us in good stead - we will let Swansea have plenty of possession (and they will get chances) but we will hit them hard on the break with McAnuff, HRK and (hopefully) kebe....

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 May 2011 18:34

for reasons that i cannot explain I shall be ahving a tenner on a 3-0 score to the royals

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 May 2011 18:36

Libertine I think our recent trips to Goodison, Eastlands and Anfield will help us immensely in dealing with the pressure.

Not really. We were the underdogs in all those games and were never expected to win any of them, let alone the FA Cup which was never a consideration. They were all days out for the players and supporter alike with little expectations and little pressure. This is totally different. The prize is within reach for both clubs, both are playing in the same league and at a neutral stadium. It is up for grabs. For many neutrals it is a 50/50 so the pressure is very seriously on.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 24 May 2011 18:45

Big Ern
Libertine I think our recent trips to Goodison, Eastlands and Anfield will help us immensely in dealing with the pressure.

Not really. We were the underdogs in all those games and were never expected to win any of them, let alone the FA Cup which was never a consideration. They were all days out for the players and supporter alike with little expectations and little pressure. This is totally different. The prize is within reach for both clubs, both are playing in the same league and at a neutral stadium. It is up for grabs. For many neutrals it is a 50/50 so the pressure is very seriously on.

True. But we still performed well and played in those high pressure games regardless of expectations. High pressure games Swansea didn't experience. I still that is a slight tip of the scales towards us.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 24 May 2011 18:47

Big Ern

Have to agree with Big Ern here.

The pressure won't be dealt with any easier than it would have been without those games. Walking onto that pitch, not one of them will be thinking for a second about the Everton match.

They were nights out, and good one's at that. Yeah, it could be argued we've become a team who can play on the big stage but I still believe win or lose on Monday, the experiences we've had in the FA Cup over the last 2 seasons will have no involvement in our performance whatsoever, it's literally a lottery.

Players like Ian Harte however will have an influence, that experience on the big stage and his successful days at Leeds will be key in the changing room, he will most likely be the calmest player in our room. I'm not suggesting he'll be key to us winning, or performing well, what I am suggesting however is players alike himself and Griff will hopefully be able to calm the nerves, as well as handle their own appropriately.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 24 May 2011 18:48

Benders say no.

No no natas no.

5-1 to RFC.

Cakewalk.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 May 2011 18:48

Libertine
Big Ern

True. But we still performed well and played in those high pressure games regardless of expectations. High pressure games Swansea didn't experience. I still that is a slight tip of the scales towards us.

You miss the point. They were not high pressure games as we were written off before hand. This is a high pressure game and Reading don't normally perform under these circumstances.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 24 May 2011 18:50

You think the pressure was on Reading to beat Liverpool last year, for example? You have to be joking...

Ch'yeah, and McDermott would have lost his job if we didn't win :wink:

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 24 May 2011 18:57

Big Ern
Libertine
Big Ern Not really. We were the underdogs in all those games and were never expected to win any of them, let alone the FA Cup which was never a consideration. They were all days out for the players and supporter alike with little expectations and little pressure. This is totally different. The prize is within reach for both clubs, both are playing in the same league and at a neutral stadium. It is up for grabs. For many neutrals it is a 50/50 so the pressure is very seriously on.

You miss the point. They were not high pressure games as we were written off before hand. This is a high pressure game and Reading don't normally perform under these circumstances.

I really appreciate you point, though I disagree. The last 2 years in our FA Cup runs we faced many "win or go home" games. And each time faced with that kind of scenario we not only played well, we elevated our game. I just cannot dismiss that kind of experience just because we were "underdogs".

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 24 May 2011 18:59

URZZ

You think the pressure was on Reading to beat Liverpool last year, for example? You have to be joking...

Ch'yeah, and McDermott would have lost his job if we didn't win :wink:

LOL...well all I know is many teams have struggled mightily at Anfield even when being "underdogs" and having "nothing to lose", the McDermott observation aside. :wink:

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 May 2011 19:02

Libertine
Big Ern

I really appreciate you point, though I disagree. The last 2 years in our FA Cup runs we faced many "win or go home" games. And each time faced with that kind of scenario we not only played well, we elevated our game. I just cannot dismiss that kind of experience just because we were "underdogs".

We will have to agree to disagree. I must admit I an slightly envious of you. Living in a fools paradise must be so much better than reality.

After the final whistle, and if we have lost, just compare how you feel to how you felt after we went out of the FA Cup to Man City.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 24 May 2011 19:05

Big Ern
Libertine

We will have to agree to disagree. I must admit I an slightly envious of you. Living in a fools paradise must be so much better than reality.

After the final whistle, and if we have lost, just compare how you feel to how you felt after we went out of the FA Cup to Man City.

I am living in a fool's paradise thinking past positive experiences in important games might help us win Monday next? Ok...

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 May 2011 19:37

Libertine
Big Ern
Libertine

I am living in a fool's paradise thinking past positive experiences in important games might help us win Monday next? Ok...

I hope you are right, but I think the memory of both lost games to Swansea will be more in the minds of the players as opposed to a couple of good nights away from home in a competition we were never going to win.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 24 May 2011 19:44

Bloomin eck Big Ern your a cheerful chap.
I diagnose a manic depressive. Talk about bringing the excitement of everyone down :|