The Repercussions

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

The Repercussions

by Top Flight » 01 Jun 2011 09:47

What will be the repercussions of losing the big £90 million pound match at Wembley?

Right now and after reading the Mad Mans comments in Get Reading, it looks like the repercussions will be very similar to what happened in 95, the last time we lost a Championship play off final.

Back then we lost Osborn to QPR immediately after. Shaka went to Newcastle that summer. Scotty Taylor went and joined McGhee at Leicester in the summer. When McGhee went to Wolves he then came back for Adie Williams, Gilkesy left for Molineux too, Archie eventually left for Scotland. The team disbanded, dodgy management took the helm and we ended up in the third tier.

This time around, Karacan, the new Osborn could be on his way out. Our star striker Long the new Archie could head for Scotland. Our Keeper, the new Shaka could be on his way too. Our Star Central Defender Mills, the new Adie will be in demand. Our lightening winger Kebe (Gilkes speed, but plays in Scotty Taylors position on the right) could be leaving. The whole thing could now fall apart.

Madejski needs to stand much stronger this time and prevent this transition happening too fast or we'll be toast. He needs to manage the decline. He has to slow it down. If we collapse too fast, we'll be heading for the doldrums. He needs to keep the team together as much as possible and have that stability. Maybe let one or two go now and give McDermott the chance to rebuild. Don't have a fire sale and lose all the talent.

It is now time for some Gordon Brown style management. Don't cut too fast or too deep. No ifs no buts no first eleven cuts!

I know that philosophy will be alien to the Mad Man being a Tory boy. To be fair, I'm no fan of Labour policy either. But it's time for some stimulus to be applied to our first eleven to prevent an all out mid nineties style depression.

Tutti Frutti

Re: The Repercussions

by Tutti Frutti » 01 Jun 2011 09:55

Rot. This is nothing like '95, and only a jaundiced view of the Chairman's comments could take it like that. He committed himself in interviews to keeping the squad "largely" together, which reflects only the fact that there are 2/3 players who will want a shot at the Prem. good luck to them if it is on the right terms for us.

In '95 we were a small club, punching above our weight inb the second tier. The equivalent this last season would have been Scunthorpe making the play-off final. The team broke up because it was a one-off - we had neither the finance nor the playing depth to stay at the top of the division. That is not the case now.

All recessions are different!

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 01 Jun 2011 09:55

We don't need to cut particularly - I believe that we are currently set-up to lose about £2M a year (although cup runs and play-offs help reduce that).

So we hardly *need* to sell - especially as some Gylfi money is carried over to next season.

We will sell, of course - because we won't stand in the way of players who want to further their careers, as long as the figure in their release clause is realised. But the bulk of the income will be available, and wages bills will also presumably reduce as the highest-paid players are the one(s) likely to be bought.

Because that's what self-sufficient and sustainable means - not only no external money in but no money going out, as as the overdraft was paid off last year there's no other place for money to go.

Lydia Dustbin

by Lydia Dustbin » 01 Jun 2011 09:56

"No ifs, no buts, no first eleven cuts!" is a great slogan. Fingers crossed.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 01 Jun 2011 09:56

When was the last time we lost a championship playoff final again?

Lydia Dustbin

by Lydia Dustbin » 01 Jun 2011 09:57

2011, just the other day.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 01 Jun 2011 10:04

We'll lose Long and Kebe, and then maybe one other 'star' player.

I would be shocked if we lost anyone else other than deadwood, and I'm sure we'll replace them.

No panic, we'll be in good shape for next season.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Jun 2011 10:13

I will accept the loss of Long as, i've no doubt, he wants Premiership Football/wages and keeping him against his will is counter productive. Would like to see at least 50% reinvested though.

I would be dissapointed at losing Kebe as I doubt he would command wages we couldn't match.

I would be horrified at losing Karacan as we don't NEED to sell and he wouldn't commend a huge fee.

I don't think we have any other playrs other teams would particularly covert TBH

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 01 Jun 2011 10:15

I've made the comment before and I'll make it again.
Who'd want Kebe? Too inconsistent and has suffered with injuries this year. Unplayable on his day, injured or crosses into row Z too often. We won't sell him to another championship side (see McAnuff to QPR last summer) and who'd want him for £3m or so in the prem? Only route is a transfer to France IMO

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 01 Jun 2011 10:16

The player I'm terrified of losing is Alex McCarthy - especially if he has a good under-21 tournament.

IMHO he is a much better and much more reliable keeper than Federici, and has a much brighter future than him - and the fact that he's being kept in the reserves here by Feds bodes badly for him. It'd be relatively easy to tempt him away - either with promises of starting, or as a reserve at a much bigger club.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Jun 2011 10:17

Schards#2 I will accept the loss of Long as, i've no doubt, he wants Premiership Football/wages and keeping him against his will is counter productive. Would like to see at least 50% reinvested though.

I would be dissapointed at losing Kebe as I doubt he would command wages we couldn't match.

I would be horrified at losing Karacan as we don't NEED to sell and he wouldn't commend a huge fee.

I don't think we have any other playrs other teams would particularly covert TBH

^^this

longs gone, and fair play, hes earned the right this season. hopefully fed goes, rather than kebe, but if its jimmy id be more pissed at him than reading FC.
cant see us selling karacan at all. but who knows.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Jun 2011 10:20

I've said all along that I reckon Kebe will go to France.

Long must be on pretty good money here, I'd imagine - so unless he goes to Wolves, Wigan or someone like that, I don't know that he'd particularly want a lot more money just to warm a bench at Liverpool or whatever. I can, however, see him going to Celtic. He'd be craving first team football - he must have seen how it's panned out for the likes of Sidwell (until recently), Shorey, Kitson etc - he just strikes me as someone who isn't quite the money grabber as some others have been. But, having said all that, I think his tears at the end of the game on Monday were a strong indication that he's off. Most probably to Celtic. :cry:

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 01 Jun 2011 10:22

But the thing always to remember is that players never move on and think they'll be on the bench. If they have the drive and determination to succeed as a professional footballer they believe that they're good enough to force their way into the first team and succeed wherever they go.

So the idea of just bench-warming never enters into their thinking.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 01 Jun 2011 10:24

Hopefully, McCarthy, Cummings, L'Wood, HRK and Church will be better than Hammond, Swales, Houghton, Meaker and Asaba.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Jun 2011 10:27

Svlad Cjelli But the thing always to remember is that players never move on and think they'll be on the bench. If they have the drive and determination to succeed as a professional footballer they believe that they're good enough to force their way into the first team and succeed wherever they go.

So the idea of just bench-warming never enters into their thinking.

im happy for them to do that too. they back themselves to make an impact at bigger clubs, they back themselves to force their way into the team ahead of bigger names.
they also cant imo, as a professional footballer, refuse the chance to play in a team that challenges for premiere leagues/champions leagues/FA cups.
until reading are there, and even then, there will always be a bigger, richer, more ambitious club that wants them.
theyll all leave and stab us in the back one day.get used to it.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Jun 2011 10:27

RobRoyal Hopefully, McCarthy, Cummings, L'Wood, HRK and Church will be better than Hammond, Swales, Houghton, Meaker and Asaba.

:lol:

i can say categorically that they already are.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 01 Jun 2011 10:30

brendywendy
RobRoyal Hopefully, McCarthy, Cummings, L'Wood, HRK and Church will be better than Hammond, Swales, Houghton, Meaker and Asaba.

I don't know. I can't see any of McCarthy, Cummings, L'Wood, HRK or Church making a decent job of negotiating a three-year contract with multiple performance and apperaence-based add-ons.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 01 Jun 2011 10:31

Svlad Cjelli
brendywendy

I don't know. I can't see any of McCarthy, Cummings, L'Wood, HRK or Church making a decent job of negotiating a three-year contract with multiple performance and apperaence-based add-ons.

McAnuff maybe!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jun 2011 10:32

Exactly.......... This is the point. Look what sort of a team you end up with if you try to change too much too fast.

Even in recent times Brendan Rodgers tried to change too much of the team too quickly, bringing in Rasiak, McAnuff, bringing alot of youngsters into the team at the same time perhaps before they are all ready, Pearcey, Davies, Karacan, HRK, Church, Gylfi. lots of them. There are quality players in there but some of the younger ones weren't quite ready. Too much, too fast in football can be very damaging.

We need stability right now. The Mad Man really needs to get tough and say no one is going anywhere. Tell the world RFC doesn't need to sell and if you want our players you'd better pay through the teeth.

Simon Jordan fought like a lion to keep Andy Johnson and eventually got £11 million for him. The Mad Man better not come back after the summer if he hasn't secured a record transfer fee for the sale of Shane Long. £4million isn't good enough. We need at least 8 for Shane. Then we can afford to keep the other lads and maybe make 1 or 2 acquisitons. Stability is what we need right now.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Jun 2011 10:35

we gave shane the get out clause to make him stay here last year, so its got chuff all to do with JM at all if he goes.
its down to shane long, and hammond who negotiated that clause.

and fair play, he wants to prove himself, and has worked his nuts off in every game hes ever played for us, so will go with my blessing